Menu

2010-2011 Curriculum Status

Just Robyn

I have my Memoria Press and R&S needs, picked those up at a HS convention last week. Now I need to place my RR order to finish out what we need. And then I'll be ready to plan. Of course I need my brain to hurry up and get in planning mode. But it's fighting me....:glare:

I have all the main books I need.....I hope. All I will need to pick up along the way is art and science supplies.

I've got all mine except for HWT Cursive Handwriting. I even have the fall 2010 all scheduled out on Homeschool SkedTrack.

Is Home school Skedtrack hard to use? I've looked at it and some of the tutorials, but I haven't really sat and looked at it if you know what I mean.

I've been looking for something to use for scheduling and it is hard for a Mac. I found Planbook, but would prefer something free.

I need all the World View I Books, Apologia Chemistry 2nd Edition, Rosetta Stone Spanish and Teaching Textbooks Geometry. All I can see is $$$ flying out the window!

For Ds I need MFW ECC, Teaching textbooks 3, R&S Spelling and to be determinded writing. (Leaning toward WWE)

For Dd#2 I need math (can't decide between Singapore and Horizons) and a handwriting curriculum.

I guess it gets easier for the lower grades as you go but for the big ones.........:confused:

We are waiting on our stuff to arrive and I've bought everything except AAS2 and then the next science but we won't start that until November or so because we will be finishing up Astronomy. Here is our 1st Grade lineup:

Bible - Golden Childrens Bible

Reading - books

Writing - Writing with Ease 1

Grammar - Rod and Staff English 2

Spelling - All About Spelling Level 2 & Spelling Workout A

Math - Saxon Math 2

History - Story of the World 1

Science - Apologia Astronomy & Zoology

Art - Artistic Pursuits 1

We school year-round, so right now for summer (K-1) we are doing:

Reading - finishing up OPGTR

Writing & Grammar - FLL 1

Spelling - AAS 1

Geography - various resources

Science - Zoology 1

Math - finishing up Saxon 1

I thought I was done until my order came today and I read the "supplemental reading list" and found more good ideas! I am still waiting for Lightening Lit to arrive. I ordered it last week. I need to read through the science labs and place an order for what we will need there as well.

Now, lesson planning is another story entirely!

Your going to make me list what I still need? That means I actually have to admit how much I still need :001_huh: thanks :glare:

LOL OK here it goes

I still need for

Kindergarten

Latin Song School

3rd

Classic Worktexts

Shakespeare Worktexts

7th

All American History 2 (just the student workbook- I have the rest)

Figuratively Speaking

For more than 1 grade

Trail Guide to US geography (I just have the guide- I need everything else:glare:)

OK I know I am forgetting stuff-- I will edit as I remember :001_huh:

Considering we began our 2010-2011 school year 2 weeks ago...yes, we do have everything for the fall and almost everything for the spring.

I will need to order for the spring:

some earth science/geology kits

next level of LA for the dc (CLE and ETC mainly)

Blessings,

Laura

We need math! Can't decide if I'm going to stick with Singapore or go with Rightstart or MUS????? SOTW 2 with cd's and AG, song school latin and more art supplies!

We have so far:

2nd grade-

Hooked on Phonics 2

ETC 4&5

WWE 1

FLL1-1/2

Vos Bible

1st grade-

Hooked on phonics 2

ETC 3&4

WWE 1

FLL 1-1/2

Vos Bible

I have a tentative plan, but if it doesn't work out the way I hope I'll switch things up

DS9

Rightstart D

CLE Reading and LA

History Sonlight 3

Christian Kids Explore Chemistry

Spanish&PE w/co-op

DD6

Rightstart B (continuing)

CLE Reading and LA

Abeka My America and My World

Science books from the library on whatever topic she picks

Spanish&PE w/co-op

I'll also have the reading books from Sonlight available for them both just for fun along with some other stuff.

DD2 (will be 3 in Aug)

Sonlight P3&4 books

Brightly Beaming Resources

Playing, Paint & Play-doh

We need to streamline this year. If this works I'll add back in Latin vocab and more formal art and composer study.

For my rising K5:

RS A manual & worksheets

HWOT laminated cards

(?) HWOT Sentence School (haven't decided about this yet)

All About Spelling Level 1 whenever he's ready for it

For my rising 3rd grader:

Singapore Stds. Ed. 4A & 4B Texts & HIG whenever she's done with 3B

Singapore 4A & 4B Intensive Practice

Kumon Grade 4 Word Problems workbook

(?) Math in Focus 4A & 4B Enrichment books (haven't decided yet)

Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary School and/or Grammar for Middle School (haven't decided yet)

Caesar's English II

Wordsmith Apprentice

Mark Twain Media Sentence Diagramming workbook

Bite-Sized Physics

Several History Pockets and Dover coloring books to go along with our study of American History

Still need to buy:

• DVDs of King Lear, Richard III, Henry V, Antony and Cleopatra, and Midsummer Night's Dream
  • The Elegant Universe (supplement for Advanced Physics)
  • Hyperspace (supplement for Advanced Physics)
  • Need to sign up my senior for math at the local community college as soon as dual enrollment begins in August

Just ordered today:

• MCT LA, Island level for the two younger ones to do (I was going to use Rod & Staff, but they both will like this much better, and it will save me some time to combine them. Plus, I really like it and want to use it.)
  • MCT Advanced Writing 2 for my high schooler. He hasn't done a lot of term papers (in fact, he has done almost all short essays) and since he will be a senior this year this is a real weakness. I almost forgot to order something for this.

Already on the shelf, ready to use:

For my high school senior:

• Science: Apologia Advanced Physics; An Illustrated Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking; The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking
  • History/Geography: History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer; Josephus: Complete Writings (we are only using 1/2 of Antiquities of the Jews and all of Wars of the Jews, however); Egypt: Land of the Pharaohs by Time Life Books (an easy book, but worth adding in); The Sumerians by C. Leonard Woolley; Lives of the Caesars by Suetonius; Daily Life in Ancient Rome by Florence Dupont; Mystery of the Ancient Maya by Carolyn Meyer and Charles Gallenkamp; History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth; A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson; Old World Style Maps (on the computer, to print out as necessary
  • Literature: New Oxford Book of English Verse and New Oxford Book of American Verse; Complete Works of William Shakespeare (to read one, in addition to watching the DVD's mentioned above); Bullfinch: Age of Fable; Epic of Gilgamesh; The Oedipus Plays of Sophocles; Ben Hur; Canterbury Tales; The Once and Future King; The Trojan War (a light book, but I wanted to cover the topic, and this fit well in the time left after reading the other, more difficult books)
  • Foreign Language: Beginning Biblical Hebrew; Old Testament Hebrew flashcards; Breve Historia de Guatemala; Representative Spanish Authors, Vol. 1
  • Bible

For my 3rd and 5th Graders:

• Rod and Staff Spanish Reading, 2nd and 5th grade levels
  • BJU Science 3 & 5
  • Sequential Spelling 2
  • MEP math 3 & 5
  • TPS 3 & 4 (original version of Challenging Word Problems, from Singapore)
  • Singapore PM 3 & 4B-5B [may drop this if there is no time]
  • Reading (3rd): The Princess and the Goblin; Tales of Uncle Remus told by Julius Lester; 50 Famous Stories Retold; Parables from Nature; The Wind in the Willows; Alice in Wonderland; Jungle Book, book 1; A Wonder Book; Favorite Poems Old and New; AO poems from years 1-5. 20-30 minutes free choice reading per day.
  • Reading (5th): Little Women; King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table by Green; Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens; Lassie Come Home; Jungle Book, books 1-2; A Wonder Book; Peterkin Papers; Favorite Poems Old and New; AO poems from years 1-5. 20-30 minutes free choice reading per day.
  • Read Aloud: Pilgrim's Progress
  • Bible
  • History/Geography (shared): Maps to color, library books about various countries, Amy Carmichael, map drills
  • History/Geography (3rd): selected consecutive chapters from An Island Story, A Child's History of the World, and Trial and Triumph. extra map drills
  • History/Geography (5th): from the library--Dolley and James Madison by Adler; The War of 1812 by Carter; We Are the Many by Rappapor; The Seminoles by Wilcox; Trail of Tears by Elish; book of choice from Junior Library of American Indians or similar book; Free at Last by Rappapor; Escape from Slavery by Rappapor; Underground Railroad by Bial; Book of the American Civil War by Egger-Bo; Which Way to the Wild West by Sheinkin. Make picture dictionary of geographical terms/features
  • I also have Rod and Staff English 3 & 5, but I will sell those if MCT works out as well as I hope. They will also do copywork or dictation every day, as well as a written narration every day.

I just placed my last order for this coming year. Yay! So I am now finished with the buying, now I have to start the planning and the organizing. :001_huh:

This is where I am at. I placed my last two orderers today but have a ton of putting it all together time to put in. Mine are going to continue doing math and some reading through July and then we start up with our 'new year' the beginning of the 3rd wk of Aug.

Guest Cindie2dds

All set:

DD 1 ~ Oak Meadow 1, and other goodies from ALGF

DD 2 ~ Oak Meadow PreK, and other goodies from ALGF

Penny Whistle, Gymnastics and Ballet

And I'm not sure where the money is going to come from. :001_huh:

And my friend may teach a U.S. history class out of her home that my elder two would take, so it is up in the air whether they will take her course or do World history here at home. :confused:

I'm sure it will all work out, but things around here are still fairly unsettled as far as home schooling goes.

I went to a curriculum sale today, but didn't find what I need. I just need some of the books that go with Elemental Science, and I can always use more history books. I hate to buy new, but I'll probably just order everything tomorrow from Rainbow and Amazon. Then I'm done!:D

I have:

Science (BFSU and Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, other stuff will be library books) This is still a maybe...

Ds's math (Saxon 5/4)

Dd's first semester language arts stuff (The Reading Lesson, ETC)

Spelling (Natural Speller)

The TM for Dd's math (Saxon 2)

World History Read Alouds (Horrible Histories)

I don't have:

History (Time Travelers cds + library books - I plan to get these on an as needed basis IF we end up using them)

Ds's language arts stuff (Intermediate Language Lessons)

Dd's second semester language arts stuff (Primary Language Lessons though I'm not worried about this until near January)

Dd's student workbooks for math (Saxon Math 2)

Edited by momto2Cs

I have:

SOTW 2 and AG

Our Island Story

Jack's Insects

CLP Nature Reader (mostly about insects)

D'Aulaires Book of Norse Myths

Science Smart

Nature Smart

BFSU

Natural Speller

Serl's PLL

Math Mammoth

Eyewitness Explorer's Rocks and Minerals

Getty-Dubay's italic penmanship Book C

Misc. Chapter books and science books

This is all for a second grader. Everything else I need to buy.

We had baby #5 in March and took a lot of time off. Six wonderful weeks of enjoying my baby boy (and other kiddos, too). We are homeschooling through the summer and buying in August. We will start the new year in September. I still need to buy pretty much everything.:001_smile:

I'm pretty much all set!:)

A few A Beka preschool books for my boys (mine plus a little boy I babysit)

For DD, 1st grade:

Phonics Road 1

Horizons Math

Catherine Vos Child's Story Bible, New Testament

Misc. thinking skills - Mind Benders Beg Bk 2, Mighty Mind

Apologia Astronomy this summer, carried into fall until we finish; and then....

Story of the World/Usborne

Ummm... yes, that's all! I've tried to keep everything simple this year!

I just ordered AAS TMs for levels 2-4. I think I now have all the basics needed to get us through the school year. We'll start mid July. I thought it only fair to wait until Doodle was actually 6 before starting him in first grade.

I have available for anyone in need:

Saxon Math 1 Teacher's Manual

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Preschool Art

I *think* the only thing we need is a cursive curriculum, but I haven't decided which one yet.

I believe I have everything else... although I just thought of some tools we need for science, but those are not expensive.

Whenever I think I'm done, I find more that we "need".

I have artistic pursuits and supplies on the way as well as the supplements needed for harmony fine arts (very excited about this program).

We have R.E.A.L. science but I'd like to find some kind of science workbook (maybe mcruffy?), and I'd also like to work on some kind of geography but I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

There is a local curriculum fair on Saturday and I'm debating on if I should attend. The positives are that I can look more closely at a lot of different curricula, and of course the negative is that I don't want to see more things that I thing I "need". I feel like I've already spent waaaay too much for our first year of home schooling.

Gah! Yeah. I've never been so "late" into the summer without all my materials and a total plan organized for next year.

I still need:

A second set of pages for History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients

Sequential Spelling Levels 2 and 5

Beyond Phonics, I think

MUS Zeta

MUS Alpha

Experiment kit for Apologia Physical Science

Haven't decided if I'm going to get Tell Me More French for dd8th or seek a French tutor ($$$) or just keep using Rosetta stone.

Haven't decided whether or not I'm willing to untangle my Latin, so ds5th can resume next year or just bag it; we have enough to do!

Haven't decided if I'm going to get a serious writing program for dd8th or just have her do BJU, or if IEW would drive me totally out of my brain.

Still need to make their planbooks and my master planbook. Still want to work out a structure where we all have a "meeting" and do Bible and a few other things (work on presidents, work on geography) and then resume doing the things they work on separately. I would also like to have each big kid take a turn teaching the Kindergartner something each day.

For next year (or at least for the first bit of next year), we'll be using...

DD8 -

Learning Latin Through Mythology (have)

Minimus Secundus (need)

Greek Code Cracker (need)

Math Mammoth Division, Fractions (have) Place Value (need)

RS Polish (have)

MCT Island (need)

HWOT Can-do Print & Cursive (have)

PE, science, electives - outsourcing to PS

DD6 -

Math Mammoth Subtraction 1 (have), Addition 2 (need)

ETC 4-6 (have)

SOTW 1 & AG (need)

RS Polish (have)

HWOT first grade (have)

PE, science, electives - outsourcing to PS

Oh no, am I late getting curriculum for next year???

LOL

yes, I am. But I am on different schedules. Stayed on track with math and language arts and science but still on history for the rest of summer and into the fall. uugh.

Plus still trying to figure out my kinetic curriculum for my 6yodd.

I will not stress, I will not stress, I will not stress. LOL