Menu

Do you say quarter with a /kw/ sound at the beginning?

I realized that although "quarter" and "quart" start with "qu", which should be pronounced /kw/, I don't say it that way. I say "quart" as though it were "court" and "quarter" like "courter." However, I do say "quarry" and "quartz" with a /kw/ sound. I grew up in southern NJ with parents from Ohio and New York. Is there a region or regions in the English-speaking world where people say quart and quarter with a /kw/ sound?

I realized that although "quarter" and "quart" start with "qu", which should be pronounced /kw/, I don't say it that way. I say "quart" as though it were "court" and "quarter" like "courter." However, I do say "quarry" and "quartz" with a /kw/ sound. I grew up in southern NJ with parents from Ohio and New York. Is there a region or regions in the English-speaking world where people say quart and quarter with a /kw/ sound?

I do. I was raised in TN by parents who grew up in KS.

I pronounce it the way you do, and so does everyone I can think of right now. I was born and raised in Ohio and live in Ohio currently.

Well... the only one of those four /qu/ words I say as kw is quarry.

I pronounce quartz the same way as quarts - that is, courts.

I think others here pronounce them the same way, or where did I pick that up? Lived in MA pretty much my whole life.

ETA: lived in MA my whole life, but don't have a "Boston Accent" - meaning, I do pronounce my Rs. I think Tigers is right that the Boston accent people do pronounce the kw. I say courter, they say kwatah.

Edited by matroyshka

Sort of weird--my husband and I are both from Indiana and have parents both from Indiana. I say courter, court (more core-tr core-t) and he says kwarter, kwart.

I was curious. I have two six year olds. One told me the coin was a courter (core-tr) and the other said kwarter! FWIW--my "courter" guy strongly takes after my side of the family and the kwarter guy strongly my hubby's side.

Weird, huh?

Edited by sbgrace

My dad, who was from Michigan, said /korter/. Of course, he pronounced a lot of things in an odd way. He said /kawner/ instead of "corner", for example.

I'm a suburban Chicago girl, and it's always been /kw/ for me. My husband, from southwestern Ontario, also says it with a /kw/ sound. As does our roommate, who was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta before he moved to SW Ontario.

I'm kind of suspecting that the regional dialect may be the "court" pronunciation and not the "kwart" one. :001_smile:

I say them all "kw", I grew up in Idaho and Texas, with Californian parents. I think the "court" pronounciation is an East Coast thing.

Some linguist has probably done a dissertation on it, delineating the geographical distribution and everything.

From the Yankee states too, and I say courter. I'm not kwick to change. We buy courts of half and half, but get rocks from the kwarry. :)

Here's another fun one - how do you pronounce crayons? Someone I know from Delaware pronounces it crowns. We say cray (like the crayfish) ons (opposite of offs).

Here's another fun one - how do you pronounce crayons? Someone I know from Delaware pronounces it crowns. We say cray (like the crayfish) ons (opposite of offs).

My DH and roomie say cray-ons. I say crans (like cran-berries). :001_huh:

What a ...

queer question. :lol:

I say KW in all English words with qu that I can think of.

You made me LAUGH OUT LOUD!!

I'm kind of suspecting that the regional dialect may be the "court" pronunciation and not the "kwart" one. :001_smile:

LOL, that is what I was thinking when I realized that I don't say it right!

Another from Indiana with parents, who have lived here most of their lives. I say "kwarter". My dad was also an English major. My mother sounds a bit southern for some reason. I have also had voice lessons, so I tend to pronounce things more clearly, at least when I think about it. :)

I am from Oklahoma, dh is from Texas (we are both from cities). We say it like "courter." I have heard people say it with the w sound, but they use a hard t.

Now see, that's funny. :lol: I am also from Oklahoma. I was born here and I still live here. I've been an Okie my whole life and I say quarter with the KW sound. I can definitely hear the W when I say it. I also use the KW sound for queen, quart, quiet, etc. Any word I say that starts with qu I pronounce with the KW sound.

So, obviously it's not completely regional since Mrs. Mongo and I are both from Oklahoma and say it differently. :tongue_smilie: