Menu

I'm really surprised about the Gores' splitting up.

They always seemed so truly devoted and family-oriented, more so than a lot of other political families. I find it very disappointing. I wish that they had the determination and character to set things right instead of splitting.

Me too. And to divorce just because (from what I'm reading) they've "grown apart" is really sad. Grow back together, I say! ;)

Yes, it is sad, but I don't presume to know the whole story behind it.

I do think, though, that life in the public eye is not conducive to relationships whether it be spousal, parental or what have you.

Maybe there is more to it and they just want it to die down quickly. After so many years though it seems especially tragic.

I was thinking the same thing. Really, they don't need to give details. It's enough to know they feel the need.

Wow, if Bill and Hillary can hold it together, surely the Gores can.

Heh! I've always suspected that Bill and Hillary have grown into what seems to be primarily a business arrangement. At least the Gores are honest with themselves.

40 years seems like a lifetime of togetherness and it seems so sad and pointless to try and live their remaining time separate. Pull it together and work it out! After all, if someone can try and change the global climate, can't one try to change their own marriage?

Unfortunately, I see marriages falling apart all around me right now. It's very sad.

I've always had the feeling that the Clintons were about politics, not relationship, so I wouldn't base anything on them other than 'how to window dress' but that could be just me.

Yes, it is sad, but I don't presume to know the whole story behind it.

I do think, though, that life in the public eye is not conducive to relationships whether it be spousal, parental or what have you.

:iagree: This is exactly what I was thinking when I 1st heard about the Gores. I'm also thinking about the children. No matter the age, changes in life can be hard to work through.

I think it would be like a weird bad dream to be married to someone for that long and then they are suddenly no longer a part of your life! Even if there is "stuff" to work out, it seems to me like it would be worth it to try. Very sad indeed.

This makes me sad. What could be so bad that it's worth splitting up over 40 years? I disagree with most of his politics, but I thought he and Tipper had a good marriage/family and were committed to each other. So sad. :(

:iagree: with everything you said.

Me too. And to divorce just because (from what I'm reading) they've "grown apart" is really sad. Grow back together, I say! ;)

:iagree: What on earth could be so horrible that you'd want to divorce after 40 years??? I just don't get it. I really found them calling it a "mutually supportive" decision bizzare. What spin. How sad. After 40 years, what are you gonna do, go off and find the REAL love of your life? I think it's just terrible.

:iagree: What on earth could be so horrible that you'd want to divorce after 40 years??? I just don't get it. I really found them calling it a "mutually supportive" decision bizzare. What spin. How sad. After 40 years, what are you gonna do, go off and find the REAL love of your life? I think it's just terrible.

I sort of wondered if one of them (with no infidelity involved) had perhaps found the "real love of their life".

Call me skeptical, but I think there is more to the story. However, I can understand why Tipper might want out since Al Gore seems to be about as interesting as a white wall. I agree that it is sad to give up after so many years.

Maybe there is more to it and they just want it to die down quickly. After so many years though it seems especially tragic.

Yes, for any couple to split after 40 years of marriage, seems very, very sad. Barring long-term problems of abuse, serial adultery, etc. it also seems very short-sighted somehow. Who else has your same history? The memories of the kids, the hard times, the good times? If you've grown apart, you can grow back together. :confused:

My parents' divorce became final several weeks before their 40th anniversary. In their case they had been living separate lives in the same house for 20 years, when my dad decided he no longer wanted to do that. And yes, he married someone else the following year.

Years ago I was watching some kind of political rally on TV, and Al Gore was on the podium with Tipper. As she turned to congratulate him on his speech, he *half-hugged* her and then patted her repeatedly like you would a faithful dog. :tongue_smilie: That incident was the start of our private joke. If my dh gives me a weak hug, or just pats my back <shrug> I tell him he's 'pulling an Al'. :D There was a real invisible wall between them, and I feel sorry for them both (especially Tipper).

Edited by Blueridge
spelling

An affair? That he wouldn't admit to? And a Child? While she's dealing with cancer?? That seems a lot to deal with, and him having a relationship with another woman... doesn't seem to make me think he's stuck with his wife!

Hmmmm

Unfortunately, I see marriages falling apart all around me right now. It's very sad.

I don't celebrate paper marriage. The Clintons have stayed together - on paper - in spite of mutliple affairs, at least one of which was a complete icky abuse of power while holding the most important office in the US (and arguably the world). How is that a marriage standard? Longevity does not in and of itself impress me.

After my experience, I will never presume to know about a marriage other than my own and whether a person should "work on it". I can only pray they both find happiness and pray for their kids who will hurt even though they are adults.

Carol, you are one of the most kind-hearted people I have been honored to know.

Yes. I'm not a particular Al Gore fan, but I'm very surprised. And sad for them.

But you know who is? Patchfire. I should let her know that now she has a chance. ;)

In all honesty, I'm sad for the Gores. I hope they can get through the divorce with minimal picking-apart by the media.

An affair? That he wouldn't admit to? And a Child? While she's dealing with cancer?? That seems a lot to deal with, and him having a relationship with another woman... doesn't seem to make me think he's stuck with his wife!

Hmmmm

Are you talking about John Edwards? Of course, I don't pay enough attention to anything, so I could have just missed this!

Edited by Jan in SC

Hmmmm

You are quite mistaken, as you are confusing Al Gore with that snake-in-the-grass John Edwards.

Did you read that somewhere, Carrie? I didn't see any of those things mentioned in the LA Times.

Unfortunately now they're rerunning the video of that revolting kiss at the convention every time they mention this news.

:blink: :ack2:

I read they're calling these the new "grey divorces" -- growing apart in their 60s and 70s after decades of marriage. :001_huh:

Well, I would hazard to guess that "the media" doesn't have the whole story. No one does, except the Gores. I don't think it's right to hear about anyone's divorce and immediately conclude that they "don't have the strength of character" or however Carol in CA characterized them.

I think any breakup of any family is sad.

astrid

I think it would be like a weird bad dream to be married to someone for that long and then they are suddenly no longer a part of your life! Even if there is "stuff" to work out, it seems to me like it would be worth it to try. Very sad indeed.

How do you know they didn't? How do you know that they've not been trying very hard to "work out stuff" for many years?

astrid

While she's dealing with cancer?? That seems a lot to deal with, and him having a relationship with another woman... doesn't seem to make me think he's stuck with his wife!

Hmmmm

I thought that was Newt Gingrich, or John McCain?

Thank goodness St. Ronald Reagan was never divorced. Oh, he was??? My bad.

Bill

From the perspective of "and they lived happily ever after in wedded bliss", I guess they are bursting a few bubbles because peopel love to believe in other people's marriages. But I honestly dont get what 40 years together has got to do with it. People stay together in misery and unhappiness and "committment" and just because its for 40 years, we think thats a good thing? I think it's great when people can stay together long term and ride the waves and seasons of marriage, and their marriage is still alive, real, and serving both partners in love.....but I think if it gets to the point where the marriage is a show, an institution that is dead, and one or both partners has no hope for a "revival", well, please separate with my blessings and move on to where your heart sings, where you can keep growing and love can come back into your life. We need more love, more life, not more institutionalised and unhappy marriages.

Bill

Oh, did these men commit adultery while they were running for POTUS? Or while they were POTUS?

Oh, wait, I'm thinking of someone else.....

Sorry. Mea Culpa.

Oh, did these men commit adultery while they were running for POTUS? Or while they were POTUS?

Sorry. Mea Culpa.[/quote

There have been cases of infidelity in both parties. I think it's a sad commentary on our nation that we all assume that infidelity must be involved. In some ways, I think if two people grow apart and manage to have a friendly divorce that seems incredibly grown up compared to what we generally see. (I don't blame Elizabeth Edwards for divorcing her husband in the slightest, but all the appearances on Oprah, the books, etc. of all involved....not grown up.) Now we don't know the details of the Gores' situation, but just in general.

From the perspective of "and they lived happily ever after in wedded bliss", I guess they are bursting a few bubbles because peopel love to believe in other people's marriages. But I honestly dont get what 40 years together has got to do with it. People stay together in misery and unhappiness and "committment" and just because its for 40 years, we think thats a good thing? I think it's great when people can stay together long term and ride the waves and seasons of marriage, and their marriage is still alive, real, and serving both partners in love.....but I think if it gets to the point where the marriage is a show, an institution that is dead, and one or both partners has no hope for a "revival", well, please separate with my blessings and move on to where your heart sings, where you can keep growing and love can come back into your life. We need more love, more life, not more institutionalised and unhappy marriages.

Thanks, you put into words what I wanted to say but couldn't. I don't think we could say they didn't give it the old college try after 40 years. I hope they both find happiness and peace, and that their children do too.

They always seemed so truly devoted and family-oriented, more so than a lot of other political families. I find it very disappointing. I wish that they had the determination and character to set things right instead of splitting.

CHOOSE to grow back together! Don't be so spoiled.

I'm surprised, too, Carol ~ and I'm equally surprised at your judgmental tone. I think you ~ and a number of others who have replied here ~ should be ashamed of yourselves, pointing fingers at a divorcing couple whose marriage is, after all, a complete mystery to you/us.

Sorry. Mea Culpa.

No Newt Gingrich and John McCain committed adultery while their wives were in the hospital and then abandoned them, but neither was elected president, thank goodness.

And Reagan, he sold arms to Iran (illegally) and lied about it. And waged an illegal war in Nicaragua, and lied about it. High crimes and misdemeanors.

Bill

I'm surprised, too, Carol ~ and I'm equally surprised at your judgmental tone. I think you ~ and a number of others who have replied here ~ should be ashamed of yourselves, pointing fingers at a divorcing couple whose marriage is, after all, a complete mystery to you/us.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here :D

Captain Renault

Bill

It was John Edwards. John McCain divorced his first wife after she was horribly injured in a car wreck while he was a POW.

ETA: I am not passing judgment on the Gores - I am sad for them and surprised more than anything. I was just pointing out that there is plenty of infidelity and soap opera-ish behavior on both side of the aisle!

Edited by Renee in FL

I don't celebrate paper marriage. The Clintons have stayed together - on paper - in spite of mutliple affairs, at least one of which was a complete icky abuse of power while holding the most important office in the US (and arguably the world). How is that a marriage standard? Longevity does not in and of itself impress me.

After my experience, I will never presume to know about a marriage other than my own and whether a person should "work on it". I can only pray they both find happiness and pray for their kids who will hurt even though they are adults.

Carol, you are one of the most kind-hearted people I have been honored to know.

I so rarely do this but I have to say I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU JOANNE. :D

"Longevity" is not a reason to stay married. And we do not know that they haven't tried...we don't know what has been going on behind the scenes...and yes, people CAN find true love at 60 years old. My FIL met and married his wife at age 61 and has been very happily married for the last 13 years.

Why do we find it so easy to judge other people's marriages?

Sorry. Mea Culpa.

WORD!! Interesting, though, wasn't it? There I thought the topic was the divorce of the illustrious genius who created the internet and somehow we got on the topic of Reagan. That had RED HERRING written all. over. it!!

It is sad, though. I cannot imagine being married for 40 years and not fighting tooth and nail to keep the marriage together. :confused:

I'm in the 'what does how long they've been married have to do with it' camp.

In fact, I can see how after a long time, you might just say 'OK, I'm done with this. Some was good, some was great, some sucked. The past is the past & now I'm moving on.'

The kids are raised, a new page is turned. I don't even think it has to be a new love interest - it can just be a yearning for a different lifestyle, a different way of being and living. It's never too late to change & I think if kids are gone & both spouses are strong people, it can be ok to walk on, separately.

I'm actually much harder on people who divorce when kids are young. (usual proviso - not slamming anyone here, not dismissing the very many valid reasons etc etc etc. :grouphug:; just speaking in generalities.)

Edited by hornblower

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here :D

Captain Renault

Here's your winnings, sir.

I'm actually much harder on people who divorce when kids are young. (usual proviso - not slamming anyone here, not dismissing the very many valid reasons etc etc etc. :grouphug:; just speaking in generalities.)

Even though your parents' divorce when you are an adult probably doesn't affect your daily life, it's still a VERY difficult and painful thing to go through that has lasting ramifications.