Menu

If we'd ALL do something like this....

Since visiting Japan, I've always wished for the Japanese style futon. Each bedroom has a closet/shelf system that holds the futon, so when you are ready to sleep you open up the closet and pull out your bed, in the morning you store it away again and that space is open. At least that's the way my in-laws house was arranged in the early 90's.

Another idea I've always wondered about is a system of raising the bed mattress to the ceiling during the day and lowering it at night to free up floor space. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to come up with. Chains or something so the bed is suspended then able to be secured up against the ceiling and out of the way during the day?

Can you tell I have a large family in a small house? :)

I want something like this for each boy. Here is another one with action to show how it converts from desk to bed. This site has a couch that converts to bunkbeds (how cool is that?), but I question the comfort of the couch. On the other hand, do kids require a comfortable couch? I love stealth furniture. We have a coffee table with a top that telescopes up to reveal hidden storage.

This could be a neat idea for how to do things. Instead of having McMansions (or even 1600 ft houses), we could have much smaller living spaces (though maybe not 344sq ft!) and just use them more effectively?

If I could have that in each "room of my house that would be great! :)

Say you had 800 sq ft to work with. Then you could still have rooms, they'd just have multi functions. And that would allow for people to be in the kitchen or bedroom or livingroom (possibly those three places being the same room!) while someone was in the bathroom.

The other thing is that not EVERY room has to do it, right? I mean, we could have a bathroom that was just a bathroom while we have other rooms that have multiple functions.

I'm just thinking that with 800 sq ft that could be used similarly to 4000 sq ft, we might really be able to make some impact on the environment in the positive. Not to mention that I'm VERY into change so you could really play around with things in that kind of situation. A number of different options could be tried out. You could move rooms around in interesting combinations. I could really get into this!

Dh and I have been considering building a 600 sq ft house for a while now. That's a little less than half the space we have now. We're doing it that small, so that we can have it paid for when we're done and not have any debt.

We'd add on to it eventually, and build it with the idea in mind that it needs to be added onto. BUt to start out with we're wanting just 600 ft, for the 5 of us. We'd have to drastically simplify, and use our space very wisely, but really when you think about what you actually need and don't need.... it's very doable. It would have 3 bedrooms with built in beds, a large kitchen, a bathroom, and storage area. No living room, the kitchen table would have to serve as a gathering place rather than the couch in front of the TV.

a practical, easy-to-find, inexpensive space saver is a loft bed. My poor dd10 has an extremely small room...so small that we could only fit a single bed and a bookshelf (her clothes went in drawers under the bed). She is very neat, but had given up trying to keep all her stuff organized in such a small space, and desperately wanted a desk.

I ended up buying her a used (double) loft bed. There would never have been room for a double standard bed, being tight against the doorway, but since it is up near the ceiling, it's fine. Now she has room on her bed for all her stuffed friends, blankets, and herself!

Without the bed taking up any floor or wall space (like a murphy), she now has two dressers, two bookshelves, two cabinets and a desk! It is the cutest and most functional room in the house, and she is sooo much happier. BTW, I bought everything used on craigslist and similar sites.

Just thought I'd pass along this easy to implement and cost-effective space-saving option you can do in the house you're already in!

Say you had 800 sq ft to work with. Then you could still have rooms, they'd just have multi functions.

Heh...I have a tough enough time getting the kids to put their toys away and brush their teeth. I don't know that I'd want to add training them to fold away their bedroom to turn it into a kitchen before they could have breakfast :tongue_smilie:

I'm an Ugly American. I want my space and lots of it.

:iagree: I didn't like that home at all. It seems so cluttered even if everything has a space. All I would be able to think about is the different walls with lots of stuff in hidey holes. The fact that I would have to move walls just to go from one room to the next is mind boggling.

He's a very creative man, but I'm extremely thankful I do not have to live like that. Nah, give me lots of space with each room in my house being dedicated to one purpose.

Have you seen Murphy beds?

I think that one of the keys to the apartment in the OP linked video or even Japanese homes is owning a lot less stuff.

Although sliding shelves for our 5000 books is tempting.

I always think of Laverne and Shirley when I see mention of a Murphy bed :)

I want something like this for each boy. Here is another one with action to show how it converts from desk to bed. This site has a couch that converts to bunkbeds (how cool is that?), but I question the comfort of the couch. On the other hand, do kids require a comfortable couch? I love stealth furniture. We have a coffee table with a top that telescopes up to reveal hidden storage.

Those beds are fabulous! They would be perfect for my boys' rooms! Unfortunately, the nearest retailer is 3+ hours away.

I always love creative uses of space. That apt. in Hong Kong is especially clever. I wonder how long I could put up with sliding walls around though. Sometimes you just want to get up and go to the bathroom, kwim?

I have been reading books and fiddling with designs for about 5 years dreaming about building my own small home, and last summer everything fell into place. My house is about three times the size of the one in the video, about 960 sq. ft. People sort of do a step back when I tell them the size, not the average size. I figure my kids will grow up and leave home and I want a home that's a reasonable size for one when they are gone. Any way, maybe I'll include some pictures of my progress so far. That is if I can figure out how...ETA: Can't figure it out, but, I have a flickr. Here is the link.

Edited by stormy weather

Call me lazy, but I wouldn't want to have to re-arrange my house each time I want to get to another room or perform another task.

Imagine if you were making dinner and decided it was a bit chilly in the house. How many room changes would you have to make just to retrieve your sweater? :tongue_smilie:

I'm an Ugly American. I want my space and lots of it.

:iagree: We don't live in a large home by any means, but to live the way this man is living would make me insane. I was claustrophobic just looking at it! LOL

Plus, I'm a serious multi-tasker. The instant I would put away the "kitchen", I would remember that I wanted a little snack. Then, to put the TV "away" - I would remember that there was a certain tv show that I wanted to watch... it would be a never ending cycle! lol

The gentleman made it clear that this works because he's a bachelor--living alone. He does one thing at a time, finishes, changes rooms and goes on to the next thing. I don't think his design is practical for families (unless they move in lock-step) and I think he would agree.

We have 5 people - 2 adults, 1 teen and 2 littles in 750 square feet. No attic, no basement, no closets, no storage. It is extremely claustrophobic and something is going to have to change soon. It never looks neat and clean because its too cluttered, even with minimal stuff for that many people. The littles currently share a twin bed in the larger bedroom (12x9) with dressers for DH and I and their toys in cabinets. Clothes for the littles are in plastic three drawer units mounted up by the ceiling - a drawer for pants, shorts, short sleeve shirts, etc. Actually works well since I can just swap drawers around to change seasons.

Older dd has her own room (9 x 9 1/2) with a loft bed with her desk and one dresser underneath and two other dressers to hold the rest of her stuff. Her room never looks neat and clean - its just not possible because of the clutter - even a weeks worth of laundry takes over the space.

DH and I have a recently built room (built out of a corner of our once decent-sized living room) that is about 9x7 - holds our king bed and computer desk with barely enough room to walk out. Putting sheets on the bed is a project that requires contortions.

We have a dining nook in the kitchen with a small table with storage bench seating. The kitchen itself has only 3 feet total of counter space and NO drawers at all.

Living in such a small space is frustrating on a daily basis and we plan to expand as soon as possible. I already have to rearrange things in order to wash dishes or laundry or eat dinner. Any more than that and I'd probably be certifiable.

Have you seen Murphy beds?

I think that one of the keys to the apartment in the OP linked video or even Japanese homes is owning a lot less stuff.

Although sliding shelves for our 5000 books is tempting.

This Murphy bed looks more comfortable than the other bed (linked in post above). Those beds look very narrow. Optical illusion?

It would suck if you had to pee really badly and were trying to move the walls.

You'd simply have to keep a supply of those big plastic cups around -- what other choice would you have, besides hurting the environment with extra loads of laundry and showers?

Or you could wear Depends.

If this idea came into vogue, the chamber pot would be revived as a useful object.

There is no way I would have an apartment like that, even if I lived alone. I betcha a million dollars that guy pees in a cup so he doesn't have to constantly move walls just to go to the bathroom.

Edited by RoughCollie

You'd simply have to keep a supply of those big plastic cups around -- what other choice would you have, besides hurting the environment with extra loads of laundry and showers?

Obviously, you don't realize how clumsy I am. I think an attempt in a big plastic cup would still result in extra laundry, showers, cleaning of the floor and *now* cleaning of the cup too!:tongue_smilie:

Obviously, you don't realize how clumsy I am. I think an attempt in a big plastic cup would still result in extra laundry, showers, cleaning of the floor and *now* cleaning of the cup too!:tongue_smilie:

Enough practice and you'd get the hang of it. These are big, disposable cups -- better get another wall for the pullout trash bins. :001_smile:

Or you could upholster the outside of a composting toilet so it looks like an armchair when it isn't otherwise in use. I can only suppose no plumbing is required.

Enough practice and you'd get the hang of it. These are big, disposable cups -- better get another wall for the pullout trash bins. :001_smile:

Or you could upholster the outside of a composting toilet so it looks like an armchair when it isn't otherwise in use. I can only suppose no plumbing is required.

At this point, I must confess my dirty secret. I LOVE long, luxurious baths and buy expensive luxury bath products to indulge myself and I have a HUGE tub. It's true. I'm a bad, bad girl. I need my plumbing.

At this point, I must confess my dirty secret. I LOVE long, luxurious baths and buy expensive luxury bath products to indulge myself and I have a HUGE tub. It's true. I'm a bad, bad girl. I need my plumbing.

Well, good for you! I am all in favor of that!

Here is another link to the same house that shows a bit more of it. You can ffwd through the first 1/4 or so to skip him talking.

I am curious about one thing.....are those books or cds and why would he allow so much space be eaten up by them? With the digital capabilities now, one would think that he would use that space a little more efficiently.

I think it's interesting, although I could never do it because of the inconveniences already mentioned.

I *do* wish we had a much smaller house. We currently have unused space in our home which just houses the 4 of us and a small dog. I can't even keep up with the vacuuming (it's helpful that the dog hair is the same color as the carpet).

Pamela, I just wanted to say I think it's very cool that you are "thinking outside the box" for your housing choices, and I'll be following your blog to hear more about your family's adventure.

BTDT

Lived in Japan for 6 years. Had the small 2bdrm apt where we all had to share 1 bthrm - that wasn't too bad, but am glad I don't have to share my bathroom anymore. I don't wear lots of makeup or hair products, but it was still difficult to have a space for my own stuff not to mention femine products. Or that wonderful time when we all got food poisoning at the same time...ah the memories!

Had to have the laundry in the kitchen so that was incredibly loud during schooltime since we also had to do school in the kitchen as well as have the home office in the kitchen. Our living room was huge though and was our favorite room in the house. Maybe that's why we came to love Sonlight so much : ) I always have loved how the Japanese make use of futons, though it seemed rather dirty to hang out your bedding on apt railings in a polluted city like Tokyo. We now live in the biggest house ever for us 2,000sq ft...and its plenty of room with a bit extra....but boy do I appreciate that extra bit. It just gives me a sense of tranquility and peace that I never got in that apt. in Japan. Our first tour by the way in Japan was in the northern part and their houses up there are much larger. More land = bigger homes, and if I may say...happier people, at least that was my observation over there.

Have you seen this blog? It has inspired me and given me many good ideas. Just had to pass that along because I love the idea of smaller living spaces and simpler living.:D

That is really neat. I think if I won the lottery I would build a community of little houses like these. I don't know that I could convince my friends and family to move into them, but maybe! :D

I just posted about this on my blog.

We have vastly downsized and we love it. We are going to remodel, to give us 2 bathrooms. We are also dividing some attic space into "cells" for our 4 oldest kids. THey'll have about a 8x13 space each- but most of that won't have much headroom. We are all much happier here- we do more together as a family because there is nowhere to hide.

I *do* wish we had a much smaller house. We currently have unused space in our home which just houses the 4 of us and a small dog. I can't even keep up with the vacuuming (it's helpful that the dog hair is the same color as the carpet).

Aw.. that's what I thought too, and I did get the smaller house. I regret it. I'm sure it works, will work, or worked for some people but it was a failed experiment for my family and now we're stuck. Once a month I go into a crisis mode and donate stuff just to make my house feel bigger. I get ticked when I realize I gave something away that I found I needed again. It happened today in fact. Jiminy cricket!

... I get ticked when I realize I gave something away that I found I needed again. It happened today in fact. Jiminy cricket!

Ouch. At least with your smaller house (smaller payment, right?) you can afford to re-buy something you gave away. :)

Have you seen this blog? It has inspired me and given me many good ideas. Just had to pass that along because I love the idea of smaller living spaces and simpler living.:D

I don't know if it was ever featured on that blog...but here is a tiny house (apartment, actually) that I just love. 382 square feet for a family of 3 - so cute...

Since visiting Japan, I've always wished for the Japanese style futon. Each bedroom has a closet/shelf system that holds the futon, so when you are ready to sleep you open up the closet and pull out your bed, in the morning you store it away again and that space is open. At least that's the way my in-laws house was arranged in the early 90's.

Another idea I've always wondered about is a system of raising the bed mattress to the ceiling during the day and lowering it at night to free up floor space. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to come up with. Chains or something so the bed is suspended then able to be secured up against the ceiling and out of the way during the day?

Can you tell I have a large family in a small house? :)

I actually like this idea better than having a piece of furniture that unfolds into a bed. It would take up much less space to use each room as a living space during the day and a bedroom during the night. I would have much more room for guests.

I don't know if it was ever featured on that blog...but here is a tiny house (apartment, actually) that I just love. 382 square feet for a family of 3 - so cute...

I remember following her process on MDC a few years back, and I just love what she did with that space! Now they're living on an RV and traveling full time. :D