Menu

Are you from a big family?

Not that big! I'm one of 5, but have a fairly large extended family. Last week at my grandmother's funeral, there were 140 direct descendants present. She had 6 children, 34 grandchildren and 97 greatgrandchildren, with 2 more on the way.

Edited by Lawana
typo

I'm the oldest of 6 (but it's a mixed family; not just bio). The three oldest of us are irish triplets (within 18mo). Then A is 3.5 yrs younger than me (she kinda got left out a lot :( ). The youngest two are 11-12 yrs younger than me.

My hubby is the youngest of "six" (we have since found out that a baby that supposedly died likely did not and there may also have been a baby after hubby). These are all by the same mother, but different fathers (married to them) AND all six were adopted by the last hubby.

ETA: We would have liked a houseful. We fostered for a time and have considered foster adoption, but so far it's just been the four of us.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Originally Posted by Pamela H in Texas viewpost.gif

The three oldest of us are irish triplets (within 18mo).

I've heard of Irish twins, but what are Irish triplets? I'm guessing twins, and then a single within the next 10 months???!

I have never heard of Irish triplets... but guess that is what my grandmother had. She had twins, then a single (my dad) a year later. That was during WWII - before disposable diapers. I can't even imagine how many diapers they went through! :tongue_smilie:

I had one sister, 13 months older. Then a tag-along brother 12 years younger. So for most of my childhood, it was just my sister and I.

Shortly after my brother was born, my parents divorced and my dad remarried a very, very young lady with three young children of her own. My dad legally adopted those three, so we went from 2 children to 6 children in just a few years. :tongue_smilie:

But, my dh is 10 out of 14. Twenty years between youngest and oldest - no multiple births. Can you imagine?

My dh is 8 of 10- also 20 years from youngest to oldest with no multiples.

I am 5 of 6, but not all from the same parents. My parents had 5 marriages between them, both bringing 2 kids to their marriage, then had my sister and I. My mom also "adopted" 2 older teens when I was younger.

It never occurred to me as a kid that there was such a thing as a big happy family, or to my dh- there is a definite reason we stopped at two.

I am the youngest of 3 and my older sisters are 9 and 12 years older, so I felt kind of like an only. My extended family was very large. My mother was 10 of 11 and my dad was oldest of 9, so I have over 50 first cousins!

I think one of the reasons I wanted a big family is because I was so alone much of the time growing up. I didn't want that for my kids.

Depends on how you want to slice it LOL!

I'm have two half siblings on my maternal side, three half siblings on my paternal side, three half of my halves on my paternal siblings' mother's side, and a stepsister. Nine of us were raised by threes with one group of three having a stepsister present. So I'm an only, oldest of three, oldest of four, second oldest of five, oldest of six two different ways, and the second oldest of ten.

My husband is one of two plus a stepsister, making three.

Edited by mommaduck

My parents were both married once before they got together and had me.

Mom had 5 kids (1 died after birth)

Dad had 3

Together they had only me

So, I am the baby of 9. I am 6 years younger than the youngest. The oldest was 22 and had a child of her own when I was born. I have a nephew who is older than me (my father was a grandfather when I was born). LOL