Menu

How long/hard is the recovery after a C-section?

My third baby was over nine pounds and ended up getting stuck, (shoulder dystocia) on the way out. Other than being serverly bruised he was okay. My next baby my doctor did an ultrasound at 38 weeks to check the size. She was 6lbs 13oz so we decided that she was small enough to go for a natural delivery at 39 weeks. The delivery went fine with no complications. I'm 33 weeks with my fifth baby and at my doctors visit yesterday my doctor said that I was measuring big. He said we will do an ultrasound at my next appt., (I'll be almost 36 weeks) to check on the size. I also have fast labors which my doctor says can contribute to shoulder dystocia, not just size alone. My labor with my third son was only 4 hours. I've never had a C-section before and really don't want to have one. I don't have anything against them I would just prefer not to have one. Having four children already plus a new baby I don't know how I would be able to cope with the recovery. I've never had any major surgery so I don't know what to expect. My dh isn't able to take much time off of work, he is currently under contract so he has no vacaction, sick time, etc. I do have family close but they aren't that reliable because of work schedule etc. I may have help the first couple of days when I'm home but that would probably be it. I have two very strong-willed little ones on top of everything else that will make the recovery that much harder! I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place. There thing is I'm wanting to have my tubes tied after this baby is born. Since I'm deliverying at a Catholic hospital they will only allow for a tubal ligation if I have a C-section. I had to write a letter to the ethics committee for approval, it's been approved so if I do have a C-section I will be able to have a tubal ligation as well.

So, for those of you who've had a C-section is the recovery that terrible and how long until you feel like yourself again? Also, for those who have had both, did you think a C-section was worse recovery wise?

I don't know much about shoulder dystocia except that it scares me.

Statistically, c-sections are more difficult to recover from. But when you ask for personal stories, you'll hear plenty from both sides, since every delivery is a bit different.

Anecdotally, I had a rough recovery from my c-section. I went on to have 4 vbacs, including twins, which were all far, far easier to recover from than the c-section (especially my fastest vaginal delivery - traumatic in the moment but easy to recover from). A piece of cake by comparison, really.

I've never had a c-section, but I just wanted to say that I was measuring large at about 36 weeks and by the next visit I no longer was. The baby just had a growth spurt.

I understand your concern for knowing recovery time, I would have the exact same concern for the same reasons, but I just wanted to let you know that you could be perfectly within a normal range by your next visit.

I would avoid a c-section at all costs. It really doesn't sound like there are any compelling reasons for you to have a c-section to me. My second was a c-section, the recovery is at least 2 weeks. The first week you feel like you've been hit by a bus. Moving at all is extremely hard the first few days. You will likely spend 3 days in the hospital. I was on pain meds for about 10 days and really didn't feel recovered for weeks. Keep in mind, it is MAJOR surgery. My next 2 deliveries were vbacs and when I compare the recovery, I just can't imagine having another c-section unless the reason was compelling.

Just as a disclaimer, I understand that some c-sections are necessary. My son would have been dead without mine. I just think that "necessary" line is in a much different spot than most doctors seem to think.

ETA: I did not labor before my csect, so my recovery wasn't complicated by that.

Edited by Shannon831

I had a c-section 12 years ago. The first week my parents stayed and helped. I had the shakes for about a week. The next week my hubby was home. By the third week I was able to do just about everything as normal.

My little man came at 9lbs. 10oz. and he was big. He was stuck during the delivery and we had to do a c-section. I wouldn't have a c-section unless it was absolutely necessary.

Maybe you could find a mother's helper to come in each day for several hours to help with the other children. :grouphug:

i had shoulder dystocia with my first two. my oldest was a pretty hard delivery...the doctor was screaming at me when he realized the baby was hung by his shoulders and the nurses were essentially jumping on my stomach. everything ended up being ok.

for my second, we were prepared for the shoulder hang-up and my doctor was wonderful! when my daughter got hung, she used the nurses to push my feet back, putting my knees on my shoulders for pushing and she just popped right out as easy as could be.

for my third we induced early to try and avoid the shoulder hang up, but he turned breech during labor and i had a C-section. i do not recommend it. i felt that it was almost cruel that they made me get up and shower within 12 hours of surgery, the ride home was torture, and it was emotionally pretty hard to deal with. of course, i didn't have time to prepare myself since it was an emergency c-section. the irony of it was, after to 8-9 pound babies, my c-section baby was just over 5 pounds. :|

talk to your doctor about stategies to get past the shoulder dystocia. weigh the pros and cons.

good luck!

DS was a really easy unmedicated childbirth. I had a few stitches. I was home in less than 24 hrs, no meds, felt great.

DD was a scheduled CS due to complete placenta previa. Born Monday, home by lunch on Wednesday. Only meds were tylenol and ibuprofen. Was on my own with both kids from Weds afternoon on. Felt like crud for about 2 wks. Wasn't allowed to workout for 6 wks.

My CS was much more painful and more difficult than my NCB recovery but I know that isn't always the case.

Both of my dds were born via C. I don't know otherwise, so I can't compare. however, compared to my friends' vaginal recoveries (and I was 36 and 38 yo respectively) my recoveries were very, very easy. I didn't feel hit by a bus, but I could understand if someone did have a very hard labor that resulted in an emergency section, this might be the case. My stomach felt "full" and tender for a while (like I had an inner-tube around my waist) for about a month, but that subsided rather quickly. Within 8 weeks I was back exercising quite rigorously. I think part of this was due to the fact that I had been very active during my pregnancy (at least with my first...the second was a different story, but I was able to stay active on a more managed and restricted basis).

I was up in the hospital the same day, had a shower within 12 hours of birth. I was home a day earlier than I was allowed (5 days were allowed). I was walking around without a ton of pain on the 4th day, but I did stay up with my pain meds for a week. I had my first outing on day 6.

I don't know if my results were typical, but I had no choice but to have scheduled sections, and I tell my friends not to be afraid of them if they are necessary.

I've had four. The second through fourth was because of baby size. My kids are normal sized babies, but I'm too small to deliver naturally. The recovery from the first one was hardest, but it's because I didn't have any idea what to expect. I foolishly thought I'd run into the hospital, lay down, push a few times and go home several hours later. :lol:

I had very easy recoveries with mine. I was up walking within 8 hours, showering by myself within 24. I left the hospital within two or three days, and didn't require anything stronger than otc tylenol to control the pain. To put this in perspective, I have a very, very low tolerance for pain. Brushing my hair can and does bring tears to my eyes. ;) I was exercising lightly after two weeks, walking two miles daily slowly after three weeks and wearing my prepregnancy clothes after two weeks.

I suggest you try to avoid the c-section but if it becomes necessary, read up on it and take care of yourself during the recovery period. Don't panic over all the anecdotal stories, they can scare the bejeebies out of you. It is painful for a bit, but it passes quickly and the healthy baby as a result makes it worthwhile!

I was up and about the day after my C-section (with twins). 5 days later, I was out shopping with all my children in tow. I wouldn't let them push you into a C-section unless it's really necessary, but I don't think they're a big deal. I think, to a certain extent, people expect to feel bad, so they do. It's really important to get yourself up and moving as fast as possible. That really does speed recovery time. I'm having my next C-section in a few weeks and I'm not worried at all. I'll have my sister at home with me the first 2 days and then I'll be by myself. FTR though, I would be trying for a VBAC if they'd let me.

I delivered my twins via c-section only because it was medically necessary. If it was not necessary, I wouldn't do it. My recovery was slower (2 weeks) because I was on bedrest for the preceding 12 weeks, so my body was in a weakened state. It was not that bad, though. You can get through anything necessary... the only thing that mattered to me was giving birth to two healthy babies.

Both of my kids were scheduled c sections (which we knew would happen before I even got pregnant).

Surgery was around 8, up and walking by noon, home by 48 hours later. I never needed any medication stronger than motrin. The surgery site was uncomfortable for a week or two and I was advised not to drive for two weeks but it wasn't terrible at all. We were out walking a few miles by 3 weeks pp.

I have had 2 natural births, then three csections. Natural birth is much easier to come back from. My first csection I bounced right back from in about 4 days, but I was also only 20. My second was when I was 37, it was much harder, part of that I am sure was that my son was in NICU and I was there every day. I didn't feel like myself for almost a month. My third when I was 39 was easier, but I was calm and hubby was home to help me out, I recovered in about 8 days.

Things that made it easier, a pillow when I coughed, having someone lend me an arm to get out of bed - chair - etc., moving around more so as to not get as stiff, laying on my side at night, taking my pain meds as directed, taking it easy, lifting nothing heavier than baby, not driving for the first 14 days.

Having said that, in all but the last one I was up dealing with other children..... continuing with life as only stay at home mom's understand. ;-)

I hated the recovery from the c-section. It took me 3 weeks before I could "function" normally, although there was still a lot I couldn't do. The area around my scar continued to hurt and then just be super sensitive for at least a year. I still don't like it when my clothes rub against it. I'm doing everything I can to avoid a c-section this time. It seems that the "big baby" thing is an excuse often used by doctors to get women to have a c-section, and their measurements vary by about plus or minus 2 lbs. Knowing what I know now, I would attempt to have the baby naturally.

If I were you, I'd check out i-can.org, the vbac group. They would be able to help you a lot because most women don't learn about all the things involved in c-sections until after the fact.

were uncomplicated vag deliveries. The CS kicked my butt. The incision didn't heal well. I'm going to have to get it fixed some day. I would really try to avoid the CS. It's particularly difficult if you have a toddler to deal with while recovering.

Summer

ds6, ds4, ds3, ds3 mo.

A c-section is definitely harder to recover from, but how hard depends on the person. I tend to be a fast recoverer and was pretty much back to normal within the week. My recovery time with my VBACs was half that--I was up and around at my normal energy level after 3-4 days.

I insisted on VBACs because my kids were close in age (18 mo. apart) and I didn't have any family support (DH, but he had to be back at work pretty much as soon as we got back from the hospital). However, since you have older kids, I would think they could make sandwiches or simple meals and pick up for you until you recover, if necessary. So from that perspective, I would think if a c-section is necessary, it would be doable.

However, VBACs are better for mom and baby, all things equal. And ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate when measuring size. So unless your doc tells you to do a c-section, I would definitely avoid it if possible.

I had an unexpected c-section (because of a very long labor) with my first, and recovery was difficult. It just took a long time before I felt back to normal and felt like myself. Second baby was natural (also with a very long labor), but the recovery time was so drastically different. I was up and about and feeling pretty good right away.

I've had three c-sections. The first was following 12 hours of decent labor. It was a heart rate issue/stuck/upside down/ later learned there was a small stroke involved. Two week after he was born, I played 9 holes of golf. It was an easy recovery. (A friend 5 doors down had a natural child birth 6 or 7 hours before me, and she was still limping when she walked!)

My second c-section was required as the baby had a severe heart issue. The day after he was born I was able to pick up and hug my 15 month old. I was a bit if a basket case, but all of my help went back to work/ out of town of the same day. (I sat on the floor and cried for a couple of hours!)

The third child was born, via c-section, with immature lungs, and I walked to the nicu 12 hours later.

I hope you don't need one, but the recovery is not that bad.

(PS- I was over 30 when all of the babies were born and not in great shape!)

I had two c-sections and had quick recoveries. In fact I did better than my friends who ripped during delivery. With ds15 I was back to normal activity in 5 days, to work on my feet all day in 2 weeks. With dd11 I had a 4yo at home, just dh and I, and I was back to relatively normal activity in 1 week. I wasn't lifting the 4yo around or anything that would blow my incision, but normal house work and caring for the baby while dh went back to work, type normal.

I could walk and take care of my own and the babies basic needs the same day of the surgery.

My oldest was over 10 lbs. and was stuck along with shoulder problems. She had months of physical therapy as a newborn to be able to use her arm. No lasting problems for her. Me, however, after the first delivery that left me torn from stem to stern, literally, opted for a scheduled c-section for my second baby. They told me she would be over 9 lbs., she was 7 lbs. 5 oz. The section was wonderful and recovery a piece of cake compared to my stuck 10 lb. baby and the resulting chaos. It took me over a month to be able to sit after I had her whereas after my section I was able to nurse and look after my 2 yo with no problems except that I was tired. My third, FWIW, arrived 6 weeks early and weighed in at over 8 lbs. so he was on his way to over 10 lbs., too. They told me he was only 6 lbs. but I opted for the section and he arrived at 8 lbs. I know that everyone (and I mean everyone) thinks sections are horrible and against nature, etc., but they are the reason I was even able to have more than one child. The recovery is a bit, anything requiring abdominable muscles will take a bit longer to do. Really the biggest thing is no heavy lifting for a couple of weeks, but a new baby was no problem to take care of and the toddlers were more than helpful and understanding that mommy couldn't pick them up for a bit. HTH

Under the circumstances, I wouldn't do it. With 5 little ones to care for and no family around to help, it seems like there is a better chance of you developing an infection or other complications from overexertion during recovery than complications from the baby's size. According to this site: Can Shoulder Dystocia be Prevented? on OBGyn.net, the fact that you delivered a macrosomic baby vaginally once proves that your pelvis is suitable to do it again, so your risk is actually statistically reduced. Also, 48-89% (depending on the study referenced), of cases of shoulder dystocia were in babies that were not macrosomic.

The tubal ligation thing can be done at a non-catholic hospital at a later date, or if you are okay with it, an IUD can be a viable alternative. I don't think the tubal ligation is worth the risk.

How badly was the third one stuck? Usually a hands/knees position will open the pelvis and pop the baby out like a cork when a standard lithotomy isn't working. Link to study: All-fours maneuver for reducing shoulder dystocia during labor. Doctors aren't usually prepared for a mom to jump up and move around like a midwife would be, so if you are interested in trying something different, you may want to warn him ahead of time. Or not :D

My third baby was over nine pounds and ended up getting stuck, (shoulder dystocia) on the way out. Other than being serverly bruised he was okay.

So, for those of you who've had a C-section is the recovery that terrible and how long until you feel like yourself again? Also, for those who have had both, did you think a C-section was worse recovery wise?

My third had that same problem exactly he was 9lb 10oz :blink:. My 4th I had a c-section after 28 hours of labor and no progress (my body went on strike after number 3 I think) It took me about 7weeks before getting semi back to normal. I did have a bad reaction though (VERY RARE) to the numbing meds (It wore off when just after he was out and they were starting to stitch me up. It started with an EXTREME burning feeling beyond words) then next thing I remember I woke up 3 hours later. With a panicked husband, mom and mother in law next to me.

So my overall experience was horrible. I had a friend who had a c-section with a 3 of her kids and she was fine with in 3-4 weeks.

I've only had c-sections. One after 30 hours of labor with a posterior baby and the other planned.

I recovered very quickly from both. I was discharged 48 hours after surgery, and hubby went back to work a couple days after that. I was on my own and did fine.

I wasn't sent home with any prescriptions, and I honestly didn't know I would need OTC medicine because no one told me. Both times I didn't start taking ibuprofen until I'd been home 24 hours. I only had to take ibuprofen for a few days.

The incision stops bleeding minutes after surgery, and usually your sutures or staples come out 5 days after surgery. Initially the scar will look long, but after your skin recovers from pregnancy and shrinks back it will be much shorter. Mine is at most 4 inches long, and completely covered by pub!c hair. I'm sure individual anatomy and surgeons differ, but just thought you might be concerned about the incision and scarring.

I wasn't restricted from lifting, vacuuming, or other activities. My Dr. told me to use my body as a guide. If I felt good enough to do something, I could do it. Including climbing stairs and lifting my toddler. The day we came home with our 1st baby we put her in the stroller and went for a walk through the neighborhood. I was tired, but I wasn't in pain or suffering.

I do not have a high tolerance to pain, I think I just heal quickly.

Not all c-sections are horror stories. I think a woman's expectations about recovery can help make it a smooth transition. Even though I was not happy to have a c-section in the first place, my Dr. and family and friends did not tell me cautionary tales of women ripping open their incisions or that I had a rough road ahead. So I expected a smooth recovery and that's what happened.

I don't think my experience is "the norm". I have had four C-sections. (first two because, despite long labours, the baby would get stuck and unable to be turned; second two because already had had two.) Each time, I stayed in the hospital for 4 days. As soon as I went home, I immediately returned to cooking and light housework.

I've not had a c-section, but with my friend's first, she was planning all-natural but ended up needing a last minute c-section. All I remember is that she recovered way faster, it seemed, than I did with my regular ol' hospital labor (partial induction, stalled labor). I was so jealous. LOL.

Anyway, it probably just depends on the person and what shape you're in. I'd probably have a slow recovery because I'm that sort of person. But my friend is more active and healthy, and does well with such things (though her others have been VBACS with midwives).

I've had 3.

First one: I was 24 and went through 22 hours of labor when ds's heartbeat dropped dangerously low, so off to the OR I went. The recovery from that one was rough, but I feel it had more to do with everything I had gone through up to the point of surgery then the mental and emotional turmoil of our son being dx with down syndrome right after. So, for me, pretty unique circumstances. Probably took me a couple weeks to recover.

Second one: I had been on bedrest for 4 weeks for pre-term labor, 2 weeks before the c-section was scheduled (first c-section revealed my pelvis is too narrow, I can't give birth vaginally) I had dilated to almost 5 so I had the c-section that night. Recovery was easier than than the first, but still not the same as it would have been with a regular scheduled c-section. Took me about a week to really get over it, but I was out shopping the day I was released.:)

Third on: This one was a breeze! No labor at all with dd, she wasn't coming out til they made her, lol! I was on my feet that evening. I had the surgery Thursday just before noon, I was on my way home Saturday morning. And I had a tubal with this one. I felt perfectly fine, no side effects, no pain. I never even filled my rx for the pain relievers.

Even with my hardest c-section (the 1st one), my recovery wasn't as bad as my sil. She tore bad with both her babies and she said it was a month before she felt pain free and totally herself again.

The gal I work for just had her 2nd baby in January, did total natural childbirth. It took her over a month before she felt completely herself again.

Like others have said, everyone's experience is different, same with vaginal delivery.

I was fully recovered from vaginal birth after about 9 weeks.

I was fully recovered from the C-section after about 5 months.

I was still in bed in pain after 10 weeks.

Some people recover quickly and tell your DH all about it to make your life miserable.

My stomach muscles have never recovered. I still have a terrible scar that causes me problems because my loose skin hangs directly over that scar. I think that your stretching is shaped differently if you haven't had that incision.

The C-section was my first. I did everything in my power to not have a C-section again.

I have had 3 laperoscopic surgeries on my female organs and round about (endometriosis). They are generally easy to recover from and I am back at work within 3-5 days.

I'd look around for a Dr. or midwife who knows effective techniques other than surgery for dealing with shoulder dystocia. I would take any ultrasound size measurement with a grain of salt, they can be off by a fair amount in either direction, esp. for weight. I would avoid a c-sec. DD's birth was a C-section and I will avoid another if humanly possible. The C-birth rate in the U.S. is currently around 33%. It's kind of insane, really. Most of the "reasons" for c-section come down to Dr.'s wanting to do what's easiest for them. There are populations of millions of petite women who deliver babies the same size as everyone else's without significant problems, until doctors come along to say otherwise.

First birth natural. Up and around almost immediately. Stitches made things really uncomfortable.

Second birth c-sect. Twins with one transverse. Up as soon as epidural wore off. I only took pain medication the first day. I had pain getting out of bed in the mornings. After that, I was perfectly fine with no problems whatsoever. I had trouble remembering not to pick up #1 and do heavy lifting.:glare:

Third birth natural. Up and around fast. Still had lots of trouble and pain sitting which I had to do a lot of.

Honestly, the csect was A LOT easier for me. It would actually be my first choice if it were not healthier for most babies to go through the birth process.

I had one c-section, and one v-delivery. The recovery from the c-section was much quicker, and I was up and about quickly. After the v-delivery, I bled for almost 6 weeks, heavily for the first 4. I couldn't go out of the apt. for more than 30 minutes because of it.

Thanks for all the responses. I never had any trouble recovering from my vaginal births. With my last delivery I wasn't even in the hospital 24 hours. Even with the one with shoulder dystocia my recovery was fairly easy. I think my recovery for a vaginal birth won't be a problem. It's really hard to tell what my recovery be should I have a C-section. I think I'm feeling pressured by my doctor to have a C-section. He hasn't come right out and said that I have to have one, but he has brought it up at my last two doctors apptments. I would really prefer to avoid having a c-section at all possible. It would be nice if I had a crystal ball and could see into the future!

(1) Take ultrasound weight estimates with a grain of salt. If I recall correctly, they can be up to 10% off in either direction.

(2) A hands and knees birthing position (the Gaskin maneuver) is proven to prevent shoulder dystocia, if you are unmedicated enough to get into that position.

Not that a c-section is the end of the world. I had 3. But it doesn't sound like it's necessary in your case.

I don't think my experience is "the norm". I have had four C-sections. (first two because, despite long labours, the baby would get stuck and unable to be turned; second two because already had had two.) Each time, I stayed in the hospital for 4 days. As soon as I went home, I immediately returned to cooking and light housework.

Shhhhhhhh! I still haven't and am using my c/s as my excuse.:lol:

Under the circumstances, I wouldn't do it. With 5 little ones to care for and no family around to help, it seems like there is a better chance of you developing an infection or other complications from overexertion during recovery than complications from the baby's size. According to this site: Can Shoulder Dystocia be Prevented? on OBGyn.net, the fact that you delivered a macrosomic baby vaginally once proves that your pelvis is suitable to do it again, so your risk is actually statistically reduced. Also, 48-89% (depending on the study referenced), of cases of shoulder dystocia were in babies that were not macrosomic.

The tubal ligation thing can be done at a non-catholic hospital at a later date, or if you are okay with it, an IUD can be a viable alternative. I don't think the tubal ligation is worth the risk.

How badly was the third one stuck? Usually a hands/knees position will open the pelvis and pop the baby out like a cork when a standard lithotomy isn't working. Link to study: All-fours maneuver for reducing shoulder dystocia during labor. Doctors aren't usually prepared for a mom to jump up and move around like a midwife would be, so if you are interested in trying something different, you may want to warn him ahead of time. Or not :D

:iagree: Also, A C-SECTION IS MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY! THERE ARE INCREASED RISKS TO YOUR AND YOUR BABY! Okay? ;) There can be serious complications with a c-section, and I'm not sure why your doctor would suggest taking those risks with a woman who has already proven that she can deliver a baby with a certain condition, a condition that CAN'T be proven to exist in a baby until delivery anyway, especially when birthing position can make a HUGE difference in a woman's ability to birth a stubborn baby. Did he also give you a list of statistics on hemorrage, hysterectomy, adhesions, bladder knicks, NICU stays, etc. with a c-section?

I have only had a c-section. It was a true emergency, where dd spent the first six days of her life in the NICU, five of which were at the children's hospital. I thank God she is here, and that a c-section was an option. I also strongly encourage you to seek a second opinion, preferably from a midwife.

I think I'm feeling pressured by my doctor to have a C-section. He hasn't come right out and said that I have to have one, but he has brought it up at my last two doctors apptments. I would really prefer to avoid having a c-section at all possible. It would be nice if I had a crystal ball and could see into the future!

A doctor gets paid a lot more for doing surgery than a vaginal birth. If your doctor has already decided he wants you to have a c-section, he may give you little chance, even when in labor, for anything else to happen. If you don't want a c-section, then it is your responsibility to find a provider who shares your vision.

I've had four. The second through fourth was because of baby size. My kids are normal sized babies, but I'm too small to deliver naturally. The recovery from the first one was hardest, but it's because I didn't have any idea what to expect. I foolishly thought I'd run into the hospital, lay down, push a few times and go home several hours later. :lol:

I had very easy recoveries with mine. I was up walking within 8 hours, showering by myself within 24. I left the hospital within two or three days, and didn't require anything stronger than otc tylenol to control the pain. To put this in perspective, I have a very, very low tolerance for pain. Brushing my hair can and does bring tears to my eyes. ;) I was exercising lightly after two weeks, walking two miles daily slowly after three weeks and wearing my prepregnancy clothes after two weeks.

I suggest you try to avoid the c-section but if it becomes necessary, read up on it and take care of yourself during the recovery period. Don't panic over all the anecdotal stories, they can scare the bejeebies out of you. It is painful for a bit, but it passes quickly and the healthy baby as a result makes it worthwhile!

This is me exactly. I was sure I'd died on my first - but the next 3 were nothing. My second dd was in the NICU and I had to get myself down the elevator, across a lobby, up another elevator to see her. I was hiking that with no problems on day 2 and felt great by the time I got home.

I've never had a c-section, but I just wanted to say that I was measuring large at about 36 weeks and by the next visit I no longer was. The baby just had a growth spurt.

I understand your concern for knowing recovery time, I would have the exact same concern for the same reasons, but I just wanted to let you know that you could be perfectly within a normal range by your next visit.

Just adding to this.... My 3rd baby was 10lbs10oz, and when I was nearing the end of my 4th pregnancy my doc said the baby was large (perhaps 11lbs) and he was concerned I wouldn't be able to deliver and might need a C section. She turned out to be only 8lb7oz (small in comparison).

Just saying this because sometimes the baby is not the size expected, and so the problem actually might not be a problem after all.

I am sure you will hear from both sides of the C-section story. I had a homebirth with my first, and an emergency C-section following a bleed (complete placenta previa) with my second. I had read a lot about C-sections as it was becoming increasingly clear that no amount of positive thinking was going to move that placenta. In the end, I had very little control over the process due to the emergency nature, but you might want to search for "Natural C-section" for some ideas. One thing I did manage to apply was the idea that it was very important to get up and active as soon as possible. I lost 2 units of blood, but was on my feet by the end of 24 hrs, and walking up and down the corridor 8 hours after that (i.e. the next morning). I was in hospital 5 days to stay with my son, but was ready to leave after 3 days, and with an uncomplicated C-section I am sure I would have left after 2 days. The only pain I experienced was back-ache from walking bent over to favour my abdomen. Seeing a physio or getting a massage would have helped I am sure. Walking up stairs hurt for a few weeks, but nothing else did. I was driving after 10 days.

I am very pro-natural birth, and would certainly not opt for a C-section unless it is medically advised. Having said that, I think that attitude counts for a lot, and if you have a positive attitude about health and a trust in your body in general, you will not find a C-section recovery that different from natural birth. I did suffer more anxiety after the C-section, though, as I was less inclined to trust that any aches and pains / bleeding etc were normal, and more inclined to worry that they were the result of me interfering with the natural process of birth, if you know what I mean.

For me, I'd rather have a natural UNmedicated birth than have another C-section.

My 6th was an emergency C-section and the recovery was total misery. I'll be 39 weeks pregnant with #7 this Saturday and I'm doing everything I possibly can to avoid another C-section.

I've had 2 totally natural UNmedicated births from start to finish, and I'd rather do that again than have another C-section...But that's just IME.

Guest Cindie2dds

I have only had c-sections, not by choice. The first one took longer to recover, about a week before I was feeling normal. I had been in labor for 15 hours and pushed for over 2 before my emergency c-section, so that had a lot to do with it. I was just plain exhausted. Two and a half years later, my second c-section was planned since I couldn't give birth vaginally. It was amazing. I was up and walking a few hours later. I used ibuprofen for pain relief and was good to go. If I could have, I would have done a VBAC, but my bone structure wouldn't allow me to. Get plenty of rest before so your body can heal and get yourself up and moving as soon as possible.

I was up and about the day after my C-section (with twins). 5 days later, I was out shopping with all my children in tow. I wouldn't let them push you into a C-section unless it's really necessary, but I don't think they're a big deal. I think, to a certain extent, people expect to feel bad, so they do. It's really important to get yourself up and moving as fast as possible. That really does speed recovery time. I'm having my next C-section in a few weeks and I'm not worried at all. I'll have my sister at home with me the first 2 days and then I'll be by myself. FTR though, I would be trying for a VBAC if they'd let me.

I had an easy recovery too. My ds was over 9lbs and was 2 weeks early. His shoulders just would not go through. Had a c-section w/ a great doctor. Was at the mall just days later with my newborn and 4 yr old shopping for a bday gift for my dad. I wasn't able to go for long, but only because of feeling a little weak.

About a month after his birth I went to a ladies retreat where I had to climb stairs and hop up on the top bunk of a bunk bed. I was really too weak to be doing it still....and I should NOT have been doing those things probably, but I was never in any pain from the c-section. I was not super young by the way (almost 30) nor in tip top shape.

I've known people to have longer recoveries with a VB than I did w/ a c-section.

I think it could depend on your doctor too. My sister in law had two c-sections with the same doctor I used. With both she had a fast recovery just as I did. With her third c-section she had a different doctor (she had moved from Houston to Dallas) and she had a long hard recovery.

RhondaM.

Here is what I know from my own experience: if you have to be in labor first and then wind up with a C-secion anyway, the recovery is longer than if you just have the C-section scheduled and get it done. My first child was late and when they took her out, after having induced first and me getting 'stuck' and four cm, she was 8lbs 13 1/2oz! My second child was a scheduled C-secion but they took him out even earlier than scheduled. He was basically born about a month earlier than his due date and weighed 7.5 lbs!

You seem to be pretty healthy and not have problems with natural birth, so I wouldn't schedule a C-section unless you really think it's necessary. As for the tubal, I understand the want for that. However, is your hubby adverse to having a vasectomy?

:iagree: Also, A C-SECTION IS MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY! THERE ARE INCREASED RISKS TO YOUR AND YOUR BABY! Okay? ;)

Yes, it is major surgery, but millions of women have gone through a C very successfully with no complications. Doctors aren't necessarily to be 100% mistrusted, and midwives aren't necessarily to be 100% trusted. And most importantly, millions of babies have been delivered via C completely successfully with no harm.

OP, definitely get a second opinion if you feel unsure, but if your doctor has a medically sound explanation, and you trust him or her (I can't remember the circumstances), don't be afraid. And remember, being nervous is normal before ANY medical procedure, even v@g childbirth.

I was determined that I was not to ever have an episiotomy. I read up on it extensively. Routine episiotomies are not necessary, recovery is harder than if you were allowed to stretch, pereneal massage, yada yada. I wrote it in my birth plan NO. The doctor decided I needed one. In retrospect, I agree with her. He popped out right after the cut. She was a great doctor and my 9 lb 7 oz. boy made it out into the world sooner than he would have otherwise. I had already pushed for longer than most and was on oxygen. It was a good decision on her part.

Yes, it is major surgery, but millions of women have gone through a C very successfully with no complications. Doctors aren't necessarily to be 100% mistrusted, and midwives aren't necessarily to be 100% trusted. And most importantly, millions of babies have been delivered via C completely successfully with no harm.

Of course, but that doesn't mean that there aren't risks. It's completely irresponsible for anyone to tell a mother that she will have a risky birth, so she should therefore have a c-section, without also telling her that there are ALSO risks with surgery.

I'm not saying she shouldn't trust her doctor because he is a doctor. I'm saying, if your doctor isn't giving you the full story, is pressuring you into major surgery without mentioning the risks, when you have already shown that your body is capable of delivering in that situation, ESPECIALLY when it isn't even known if that situation will even present itself again, then no, you should not trust THAT doctor. I would never use my midwife again. I would absolutely request the doctor that performed my c-section again, if I needed another section. She could find a good doctor, but I think she would increase her odds of finding someone supportive if she looked for a midwife first.

I was determined that I was not to ever have an episiotomy. I read up on it extensively. Routine episiotomies are not necessary, recovery is harder than if you were allowed to stretch, pereneal massage, yada yada. I wrote it in my birth plan NO. The doctor decided I needed one. In retrospect, I agree with her. He popped out right after the cut. She was a great doctor and my 9 lb 7 oz. boy made it out into the world sooner than he would have otherwise. I had already pushed for longer than most and was on oxygen. It was a good decision on her part.

Did s/he decide before you were even in labor though? KWIM?