Menu

How to Know if You're on Ignore (Or I Must Have Internet Bad Breath)

It has happened to me more than once, with differenet threads and different situations.

When the OP responds to every.other.post. but mine.

These are threads that ask for booklists, sympathy for a tough situation, sharing about hard times. They are NOT contensious situtations where I offered dissenting advice.

Then the OP thanks or "hugs" or responds to everyone but me.

Good thing it's just a message board, right?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was someone who I was *sure* had me on ignore because whenever I would post to her threads she wouldn't respond. Then she responded to a thread of mine, so obviously she wasn't *always* ignoring me!:tongue_smilie:

The psychology of message boards is fascinating to me!:lol:

There was someone who I was *sure* had me on ignore because whenever I would post to her threads she wouldn't respond. Then she responded to a thread of mine, so obviously she wasn't *always* ignoring me!:tongue_smilie:

Ain't it, though?

Well, I'll respond to you! :grouphug: You're not on my ignore list.

I think I must be a little paranoid about this too -- I am a thread killer! I respond and then NO ONE will add to it. So, sorry if I just killed this thread too! :lol:

Were you here for the thread-killer thread? that was funny!

I wish I could write something funny in Gollum-speak but I am drawing a blank!

I kinda figure that I'm not on ignore. I wish ONE person would put me on ignore , but I haven't looked back to see how to put someone on ignore to get rid of her.

But there are lots of times I don't respond or am not responded to. I just figure people are busy and can't do everything. And then what if you miss a person or two with thanks? I'd prefer to put a general "thanks" or whatever so as not to make anyone feel they are left out.

I'm also bad about abandoning threads. So much to do, so little time.

But, now you know I don't have you on ignore :D

It is also fun when you post something and get no response. Then three people down, someone posts the same thing and people act like they have NEVER heard that or considered that before. LOL. It tends to give me a complex. Then I wonder if I am a lot more controversial or snarky than I intend to be and if I have a huge ignore list hanging over my head. ;)

Oh well.

Were you here for the thread-killer thread? that was funny!

I wish I could write something funny in Gollum-speak but I am drawing a blank!

I must have missed the thread-killer thread -- I must not be the ONLY paranoid one around here! :tongue_smilie:

I think I'll need to rewatch the movies to say something witty in Gollum-speak. hmmm...perhaps this weekend we will have a Lord of the Rings marathon.

Not on mine either. :) Just like in real life, there are people who will like you and people who won't. Take it with a grain of salt, if you can. In life, when someone doesn't like me, I tell them they should probably take a number and get in line. Kinda long line sometimes. Oh well...I am who I am and I will be true to that, always.

*hug*

Yes, I reckon someone could do a PhD on the psychology of message boards. They feel so...homely, because here we are, chatting away about sometimes such personal ssues, in the comfort of our own homes...yet...there is so much going on here...so much emotion stirred up at times, so much unknown as to how anyone or "everyone" is responding to your posts. It does help to keep it all in perspective...we are pretty much all strangers. And it doesnt matter what we really think about each other.

I keep trying to click into other message boards, because I do often feel rather...extreme here, since (I think) most people here are conservative and Christian and I am neither...but, I enjoy it here, feel at home here, and it is a very unique forum in that many of us have been coming here for many years, and it is very, very active and alive. I find most other places too slow to bother visiting much.

It had never occured to me that people might have me on ignore. If they do, I really dont care, though I would be curious as to why.

Here's the thing I've figured out. As soon as I think I have something figured out here, it changes. As soon as I start to think so-and-so might have an issue with me or something, it changes.

Today you feel like someone has you on ignore. You feel your posts have been overlooked. Hang on, the winds are shifting and you'll have a different outlook next week. Or the week after.

At least that's how it seems to work for me.

I admit, I don't read many of the threads, and I often forget to return to them! So if I've ever ignored you (I doubt I'm one you're speaking of) I claim brain dysfunction. :D

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I don't even know how to ignore someone. :D

User control panel-> (Sidebar) settings and options-> ignore list

I wish it was in the drop down list when you click on someone's name in a thread. You can add someone to your contacts, so it seems like you should be able to add them to your ignore list with one click.

Yes, and to me as well. The dynamic is like no other.

I think I must be a little paranoid about this too -- I am a thread killer! I respond and then NO ONE will add to it. So, sorry if I just killed this thread too! :lol:

OMH, what a relief! I thought I was the only one who felt this way!

It is also fun when you post something and get no response. Then three people down, someone posts the same thing and people act like they have NEVER heard that or considered that before. LOL. It tends to give me a complex. Then I wonder if I am a lot more controversial or snarky than I intend to be and if I have a huge ignore list hanging over my head. ;)

Oh well.

Honestly, I've never wondered about the ignore list -- but now you have me wondering about it -- well, maybe not really. But, for the other stuff - YES!

I'm also bad about abandoning threads. So much to do, so little time.

But, now you know I don't have you on ignore :D

I tend to post once or twice on a topic that interests me then disappear. I guess that makes me a hit and run poster. :leaving:

I am also the ultimate thread killer by the way. :coolgleamA:

I'll defend the ignore feature, which I obviously use. There are some posters who just rub me the wrong way and I've no desire to hear/see their opinions on anything even including what books they read. There are people I avoid in real life, so why on earth wouldn't I want to avoid some people I meet online? As this is the only homeschool board, and actually the only board I participate on, I want it to be a fun place I look forward to anticipate and enjoy. It would suck to stop coming to this board because of a few posters. The downside is that I still have to see their responses sometimes when other posters quote them. I prefer this alternative to leaving the board entirely. Go ahead and say I'm immature or that I don't have a thick skin. I am who I am and if you don't like me, then put me on ignore. :) I *am* wearing my big girl panties. I am woman enough to walk away and not feed into drama. The few times I have, I was miserable and had to take a board break.

I'm too nosy to ignore anyone. I don't want to miss anything.

LOL- I used to feel that way, but after this week there are some people whose condescending and downright arrogant attitudes that I just can't take anymore. I value my peace of mind more than I care what they have to say.

Well, OP, you know I'm not ignoring you :grouphug: I'm moderately sure I'm being ignored by quite a few people :p Eh, just a few less arguments ;)

Oh well.

:lol: I know exactly how you feel.

I must have missed the thread-killer thread -- I must not be the ONLY paranoid one around here! :tongue_smilie:

I think I'll need to rewatch the movies to say something witty in Gollum-speak. hmmm...perhaps this weekend we will have a Lord of the Rings marathon.

There's actually a group on here for thread killers...

Oh well.

This happens to me ALL.THE.TIME. on another board I post on. I always want to post again saying "but I said that first!!!"

Oh well.

That happens to me all the time IRL. :glare:

I'll be surprised if I don't end up on an ignore list or three. Not that I'm trying to annoy people, but I think stirring the pot with discussion is valuable. But, some people don't mind burnt soup.

I'm not too worried about it, after all, this really is a pretty disconnected form of communication; extremely valuable, but very abstract.

I honestly didn't even know you could ignore people. Is there a way to find out who's ignoring me? That would be fun. :biggrinjester:

Is there some way to see who is ignoring you? Wow, that would cause a bit of ruckus though.

This happens to me ALL.THE.TIME. on another board I post on. I always want to post again saying "but I said that first!!!"

Btdt :D

That happens to me all the time IRL. :glare:

There are times when I want to pull the words out of dh's mouth go back in time and say "See there, right there!! I've been saying this for WEEKS!" :lol:

What really stings is when you PM someone, trying to be encouraging and kind, and they don't bother to respond.

I have a long ignore list, but most of the people on it don't post here anymore, anyway. I wish we had a "selective" ignore list. Some people are only irritating on certain topics. Otherwise, they're fine. :lol:

What really stings is when you PM someone, trying to be encouraging and kind, and they don't bother to respond.

I have a long ignore list, but most of the people on it don't post here anymore, anyway. I wish we had a "selective" ignore list. Some people are only irritating on certain topics. Otherwise, they're fine. :lol:

LOL! Ignore "insert name here" whenever their post includes "insert irritating topic here." I would use that to pieces :p

Is there some way to see who is ignoring you? Wow, that would cause a bit of ruckus though.

Btdt :D

There are times when I want to pull the words out of dh's mouth go back in time and say "See there, right there!! I've been saying this for WEEKS!" :lol:

I swear there's some kind of selective hearing gene connected to that Y chromosome. Some day they'll "discover" it and I'll be right there saying "I told you all about that years ago! Gah!". :lol:

This happens to me all the time. It is like I didn't even post in the thread. I figure that I must not have anything that anyone else finds interesting to say or something.

Me too.

I'm gonna eat some wooo-ooorms.....

;)

LOL, now I'm hesitating to post this for fear that people out there will read this and think (about me)....uh, yeah. You really don't say interesting things. Duh. :lol: Like I'd know, or something.

Oh well.

:iagree: Hehe! That's happened to me before, and I was thinking, "Ummm, wait a minute. I just said that... :confused: " :glare: :D Not that it particularly matters, but it does make one wonder sometimes! :tongue_smilie:

I've considered using the ignore button, but I've found that sometimes I actually enjoy reading the perspective of "that" person. Sometimes.

Also, I don't have time to read each and every post within a thread. I wonder if that is what happens with the "I said that first?" Of course, there are times when one person describes something just a wee bit better than a previous poster. You know, it just clicks.

Just a thought...but I found that I reply more to people that I feel are "familiar." Those are actually avatars that have somehow clicked in my head. So for example, I will notice an Avatar that jumps out at me more than I will notice one that doesn't. And then that person starts feeling more familiar. And I probably respond more to that person.

Just my two cents.

Just a thought...but I found that I reply more to people that I feel are "familiar." Those are actually avatars that have somehow clicked in my head. So for example, I will notice an Avatar that jumps out at me more than I will notice one that doesn't. And then that person starts feeling more familiar. And I probably respond more to that person.

Just my two cents.

Well that makes me feel a lot better! :lol: Since my avatar is actually a picture of me, I guess I'm fairly forgettable to others.;):lol:

I totally get what you mean about familiarity though.

There's actually a group on here for thread killers...

Really? I'll have to go check it out, but who knows, maybe I'm a social group killer too and no one will want to participate once I join! LOL:lol:

ETA: I checked it out and it looks that they already had a social group killer! LOL There hasn't been any activity for a while.

Edited by BramFam
added a line