Menu

What does your avatar mean?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a Japanese Kanji character for "grace" and is used in the Bible to refer to God's grace. We lived in Tokyo from 1989-2000 & even now, Japan still feels like my second home. When I see this character on my avatar, it reminds me to be mindful of the incredible blessings God has bestowed upon me through his infinite grace.

My avatar came into being during a particularly momentous time on this board, well over a year ago. A new term was coined, thanks to the wit and wisdom of women like Amy Loves Bud and Nicole M, while a whole bunch of women, and a few men, had a discussion that many thought they'd never, ever have, and certainly not on a homeschool discussion board. America was in the final months of its Presidential campaign, and tensions here ran as high as they did across the nation. My avatar seemed an appropriate way to cement the tenor of the times and to remind me, again and again, just how much can be accomplished over a good cup of tea.

It's a photo of me in action.

Or not.

On the old board I was known as threelops (I changed my name shortly before we switched formats). I googled Judo rabbits looking for an avatar, and this friendly little fellow popped up. So instead of a Judo rabbit, I settled for a karate guinea pig.

We're the Keatons!

We're a couple of quasi-hippies, ds is the straight-laced (probable Republican) oldest kid, my girls are a mash up of Mallory and Jennifer (fashion *and* sports, lol), and ds#2 is our little afterthought.

Dh is graying, I'm usually a (bottle) blonde, ds has brown hair, dd#1 has dark brown hair, and the youngest two are both blondies.

My avatar came into being during a particularly momentous time on this board, well over a year ago. A new term was coined, thanks to the wit and wisdom of women like Amy Loves Bud and Nicole M, while a whole bunch of women, and a few men, had a discussion that many thought they'd never, ever have, and certainly not on a homeschool discussion board. America was in the final months of its Presidential campaign, and tensions here ran as high as they did across the nation. My avatar seemed an appropriate way to cement the tenor of the times and to remind me, again and again, just how much can be accomplished over a good cup of tea.

It's always a pleasure to see your avatar. Did you see the pictures of my new grandbaby?

ETA: As soon as I comment, I changed mine. It is now in celebration of the release of Boondock Saints 2.

The lion shall return sometime after St. Patrick's Day. ;)

Mine is way I feel on most days. Hiding because I've had one of those V8 moments, covering my eyes because I'd rather have a nap during the day, or the gesture of astonishment about what rabbit hole (lion hole perhaps?) my ds has decided to go down at the moment.

Edited by elegantlion

My avatar is Stan, Dorothy's ex-husband, from the Golden Girls. It is from one of my favorite episodes when Stan sees a psychiatrist to get over Dorothy. His psychiatrist gives him a traffic cone turned into a monkey to transfer his feelings to. :tongue_smilie:

Mine is of the Mom and kids form Dexter's Lab. While I was lurking, reading through posts I couldn't for the life of me figure out what a dd, dh or ds was. When I finally did catch on I thought of Dee-Dee from Dexter's Lab, and how my kids are rather like Dee-Dee and Dexter. Sort of arch-nemisis'(sorry if I killed any kittys with that apostrophe). I have red hair and am sometimes lost in my own world like the mom. I did have to edit out the dad, because I am, alas, unmarried.

First time my name was ever used was in Peter Pan so it seemed fitting. Although my name spelling is nothing at all like Wendy, I still tell my kids I am THE original Wendy. :D

And Sis, I knew what your avatar was. My son is a big Green Lantern fan. ;) There are others that I have enjoyed seeing the meaning of b/c I couldn't really tell what the pic was until the explanation was given.

My avatar is Stan, Dorothy's ex-husband, from the Golden Girls. It is from one of my favorite episodes when Stan sees a psychiatrist to get over Dorothy. His psychiatrist gives him a traffic cone turned into a monkey to transfer his feelings to. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Thank you! I knew I recogonized that guy, but these photos are so small it's hard to tell sometimes. Love Golden Girls!

I couldn't think of anything else for my avatar, so I found a picture of my favorite flower. I should change it to something else someday.

Oh Kids and Mrs. Mungo, pls don't change your avatars! Like "someone" told me recently, they are like your faces! (Ok, they are your faces, but ykwim!):lol:

Mine was given to me by Laura in VA.

I used to watch Monty Python with my dad when I was in high school and college. It's from a scene in Holy Grail where the knight is fighting and gets all his limbs cut off, then insists on keeping going, saying, "It's just a flesh wound!"

I've never equated that with my life, but it's strangely appropriate! lol

It's a picture of me and my Mike's. It an older pic though, I probably need to do a new one.:D

Oh, don't change your avatar! I love it! It is great to see you toast one to us all... lol ;)

BTW, mine is due to my Mexican-American heritage, my maternal family is from Texas (Tejans since its early days of Mexico owning the land), I now live in TX, and I love good Mexican-American food. Haven't found such a place up here north of Dallas... but one can hope. I still think So CA, AZ, and NM rank high with great Mexican-American food. *SIGH* :D

I chose my tapestry pic for 2 reasons. The first is because I use Tapestry of Grace. Second, I love the movie The Prince of Egypt, and the meaning of the song that Tzipora's father Jethro sings to Moses about your life being like a thread. You may not see the point of it all, but if you take a step back you'll see the grand design: an amazing tapestry which would not have been possible without your thread. Love that. :D

Mine is how I pretty much feel about the home education life and family life in general. It takes everyone doing their part to pull this thing off. BTW, I'm the one with the hoola-hoop!

Decided I needed an update so took a picture of myself on Monday morning;)