Menu

What is your opinion on HS groups that require a statement of faith

What's your take on HS groups requiring a statement of faith before joining  

1. 1. What's your take on HS groups requiring a statement of faith before joining

• I support it 100% and wouldn't feel comfortable joining a group that didn't have this
    • It doesn't bother me all that much, as I'm Christian and prefer to hang out with like-minded others.
    • It bothers me quite a bit and I wish it wasn't 'required'
    • I'd prefer to join a group that was Christian in perspective, but open to all people.
    • I won't join a group that requires this, even though I am Christian.
    • I won't join a group that requires this, as I am not Christian.

I think it's valid for the members of a support group to be able to spend their time with others who are of like mind on things other than homeschooling. I've known of more than one group that started out as one big happy mixed Christian/non-Christian family but down the road the differences between the two groups were too difficult to overcome; at that point it was VERY painful to try to effect any changes.

When I was in a position to counsel people who wanted to start new support groups, I encouraged them to decide in the beginning whether they wanted to be a Christian group or not, and if they did, to make it clear from the beginning. Even having "Christian" in the group name helps.

In my own group, we handed visitors an information sheet that included a statement of faith--not for them to sign, but just so they'd know what they were getting into. :-) We did require our leaders to be in agreement with a statement of faith, but we never required members to sign it.

I won't sign a statement of faith, even if I agree with it, on principle. I was a vendor a couple of years at our regional group's conference, but because I was not a *member*, which required me to sign the statement of faith, I was not listed in the program booklet, even though I spent some big bucks for my booth.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We left when the statement of faith became something that we could no longer sign in good faith. As the former membership chair, I knew that there were some who signed that really didn't agree with the statement of faith because they wanted to stay with the group (they told me that!), but that was not something that we personally could do.

That's another thing. People join groups so their kids can have friends and it's not inconceivable people would sign it anyway--even if they did not agree. So while I agree that it's their right to have a statement of faith, I feel it's generally a bad idea.

The problem with starting a secular group is not one I have seen addressed. Where would you meet? Co-ops tend to meet in churches--some of which are not going to be welcoming to non-religious organizations meeting there.

Is this group just like for field trips and park days? In that case I don't think it's necessary at all. I'm a member of the two groups in my area; one is secular, one christian (no statement needed).

Is this a co-op where you are teaching other people's kids? Then I would only join one that DOES bc one of the main reasons I hs is so that my kids are taught what I believe. :D

:iagree:

This is my thinking as well. In a general co-op I see no reason for it and am open to joining one. However, I am currently helping lead a co-op of 7 families and we do have a statement of faith. We are all teaching each other's children and want the same biblical worldview presented.

hth :)

I would much rather a statement of rules and behavior expectations.

Yes. A code of conduct makes sense. A statement of faith doesn't, unless you are joining a church. Your beliefs are your own personal business. Your behavior is what is important.

I would not be interested. As a Catholic, the wife of a Jewish man, grandaughter of an agnostic, with two grand uncles who are Anglican priests it would be a mite hard to ignore all the wonderful opportunites at hand in order to fit in a tiny little box to suit another's whim. Not going to happen. They certainly do not want anyone like me in their group, iconoclasts and freethinkers are not welcome. I take the whole matter as a way in which neither of us is offended nor wasting our time with forced cameraderie.

The problem with starting a secular group is not one I have seen addressed. Where would you meet? Co-ops tend to meet in churches--some of which are not going to be welcoming to non-religious organizations meeting there.

I ran a secular parenting group and then a preschool co-op at a neighbourhood church with no issue. They didn't even bat an eyelash at having a non-Christian running programs in their space. In fact, they went out of their way to be supportive of our group, gave us a great rate, and were generally the lovliest people in the world to work with. I figure that's the kind of Christianity that is actually Christ-like, and gives the faith a good name. ;) (And if I still lived in the neighbourhood, I'd probably be still using the space and perhaps even attending an occasional service.)

It doesn't bother me at all for co ops. If you are sharing teaching responsibility with someone else, I think it's important to be aligned with each other.

If it is just for a group that does field trips and park days together, then I think it's stupid. It would probably stop me from joining.

Edited by Shannon831
iphone posting never ends well

The obligatory "other" is absent :-). But I totally support the right of a group to require a statement of faith; I don't necessarily need that in order to join a group. So I guess the top selection would be half true for me.

If I don't agree with the SOF, I can find another group or start my own.

Not always easy.

Just find another group? I have investigated every group within a rational driving distance of our home. Protestants in our area do not want Orthodox. The Catholic group a couple of cities away does not want Orthodox. The reasonably nearby secular group, I already have described.

One other family in my parish homeschools. They live a 50 minute (kindly estimate) drive away from us. Hardly any Orthodox family in this part of the U.S. homeschools. The handful of other families we know live in all possible directions from us, at distances up to 1-1/2 hours away. We have tried over recent years to get together, but the distances render the hope impossible.

Teaching mathematics or music, to pull random subject examples, do not require homogeneity of religious belief. Yet teaching at a co-op is considered "a leadership position" in these groups.

Whenever I talk about this subject, I make sure to point out that in other parts of my state, even in a town only 25 miles away, the discrimination is held in check enough to allow participation by "people like us". Thus, in no way am I tarring all Christian-based homeschool groups in the country. I just live in a bizarre local area.

This is the first year that I have stopped lying to my daughter about why we are not in a support group. :sad:

I will not join a group that requires a statement of faith. I'd rather be part of a diverse group.

I completely agree. I don't like statements of faith as a requirement to join a social group.

Of course, those statements are written to keep scary Mormons like me out, so you can think of it as sour grapes if you like. But FWIW I wouldn't join an LDS homeschooling groups that had an SOF either--not that I've ever heard of one.

(That last sentence needs a couple more acronyms, don't you think? FBI! LOL! KWIM?)

The obligatory "other" is absent :-). But I totally support the right of a group to require a statement of faith; I don't necessarily need that in order to join a group. So I guess the top selection would be half true for me.

I looked for the "Other" option as well.

The one we belong to meets in our community clubhouse. As residents, we have to take all personal responsibility for non-residents and we are required to keep it open to any resident who wants to join in order to avoid rental fees, but that works for us.

The one we used to belong to met at the public library. That wasn't an all day affair, and we only met a few times per month.

Another local (Christian) group meets in our township building, several times a week.

That's another thing. People join groups so their kids can have friends and it's not inconceivable people would sign it anyway--even if they did not agree. So while I agree that it's their right to have a statement of faith, I feel it's generally a bad idea.

As someone who moves often, and has a very outgoing only child who LOVES to be with other kids, I can see us being in a position where, to get my kid friends, we'd join something that had a SOF maybe.

Would I be lying? Yup. Would I feel bad about it? Nope.

I'm going so my kid could play ball, run around, get a group rate on tickets to events and just have fun. I wouldn't be looking for life long friends for either of us, just somewhere for him to have fun for awhile till we found people more our real speed.

Odds are, I've find some others 'in the closet' as well.

I am in an interesting group, SOF wise. They are church sponsored. The hs group stmt. of faith is slightly different than the church stmt. of faith. Anyone is welcome to join the hs group - as the pastor explained it to me, the SOF is for informational purposes only. Leadership of the group has to agree w/the church stmt. of faith, which is more detailed and exclusive than the group stmt. of faith. While the SOF is on the group websire, the actual registration for the group does not mention the statement of faith.

For a co-op run by the same church, but not by the homeschool group, you must agree with the statement of faith. To be in leadership with the co-op or to teach a Bible study, you must agree with the church statement of faith.

Weird combo.

Most of you would probably hate the one I'm a part of then. Not only do they have a statement of faith, but you have to have the pastor of your church sign that you are an active member. It is a pain to do that every year. (I wish they would just keep a record, but you have to be a current member. Someone who left their church and couldn't find another got dropped.) There are poeple in the group from a wide variety of denominations, though.

Christine

I wouldn't be allowed to join. I'm a Christian (and not just "cultural") but don't attend a Sunday meeting at all. Haven't in years. Why on earth should it matter? What horrible things are they afraid would happen if their kids were exposed to mine? The idea of having a stranger label me (or my faith) "not good enough" is pretty offensive.

I have a question for those involved in SOF-groups.... why do groups do SOF's at all? If it's not a Bible study or something religious in nature, WHO CARES whether or not the kid playing tag with yours has parents who believe a certain way? I totally do not understand the thinking at all.

Not always easy.

Just find another group? I have investigated every group within a rational driving distance of our home. Protestants in our area do not want Orthodox. The Catholic group a couple of cities away does not want Orthodox.

I'm sorry you've run into this :( As a Catholic, I would not have a problem with an Eastern Orthodox family participating in our local support group so long as there wasn't an issue with them proselytizing or whatever. We have Orthodox friends (they send their kids to a school run by their church) and have much more in common with them than with the typical "cafeteria" Catholic.

As I wrote before, I have numerous Orthodox friends/Internet acquaintances who live elsewhere in the U.S. They have Orthodox groups available, and/or are made welcome by other Christian groups (of all varieties). I would feel at ease in any Christian group that did not try to convert my children, and/or did not bad-mouth our beliefs.

E.O. do not proselytize other Christians. It is not our way. We share the Gospel with non-Christians, but we leave in freedom people who belong to other Christian groups. If others ask us what we believe, we share the joy and truth. But proselytize other Christians? Not done.

But enough of me. I belong to a minority group. Life happens ! :)

I'm sorry you've run into this :( As a Catholic, I would not have a problem with an Eastern Orthodox family participating in our local support group so long as there wasn't an issue with them proselytizing or whatever. We have Orthodox friends (they send their kids to a school run by their church) and have much more in common with them than with the typical "cafeteria" Catholic.

I didn't vote:

I am 100% supportive of a group requiring a statement of faith, and 100% in favor of having a group w/ NO SoF. i am a happy member of both types of groups.

If a group's SoF is so restrictive that i can't agree with it in good conscience, I appreciate the heads up that I would likely NOT be happy there and my kids would be miserable. I advise more groups to be MORE explicit in their statements of faith.

i reject the concern about others feeling excluded: Christ KNEW people would reject Him and still stood strong on principles calling for repentance. He warned us that people would hate us for following Him. If a group is set up to help Christian homeschoolers follow explicitly Christian principles and hold each other to Christian accountability, then there's little place for a secular opinion that does not hold scripture to the same standard. i would not expect to be a helpful influence in a Muslim group, Jewish group, or LDS group [to rattle off a few]. That doesn't mean i disagree with their right to exist, but i know my place. :-)

However, since I tend to have a few Christian doctrinal stances that are usually outside the mainstream, I am perfectly happy in a secular group that allows all homeschoolers to join. i started a secular group in our area and was sure to include key words like gay, lesbian, atheist, liberal, and others. Some Christians have flatly told me they would not join it. That's fine- they have other groups! they certainly don't need this one, lol.

And there's a secular group in the far north DFW area that explicitly states Fundamentalist Christians need not apply.

okie doke-- gotcha. again: thanks for the warning! :D

I have no problem with any organization determining their own requirements for membership. I actually appreciate a matter-of-fact disclosure of the particulars of a group before I get involved and invested, only to find out later that I disagree strongly with something.

I like to know what to expect going in. I belong to both a Christian and Secular group. I know what the expectantions and standards are in both groups. If I agree with the SOF I will be happy to sign it. If I don't I would look for another group.

I've been trying to find a local support group for my youngest and I when we start homeschooling in the fall. So far I've found a large Christian organization with a SOF (for leaders only, as is stated in their information), a teeny Latin-Rite Catholic group with little kids only, and a nebulous-sounding unschooling group.

The Christian group has all the extracurriculars like band and academic teams that my daughter will miss from her Catholic school, plus lots of field trips and other fun events. I think we'll probably try that group. I hope they will be as welcoming as the website implies.

I will not sign any group's SOF, even a group from my own religion.

We homeschool for religious reasons. I want the kids my kids hang out with the most to have the same values my kids have. They meet plenty of other children in other places that don't. Thier main support group is a group of Christians who believe the same way we do. That's important to me.

ETA: Look at the SOF as a positive. If your are not a Bible believing, God fearing Christian and you join a group that is you might be very uncomfortable. There could also be prostyltizing of your children that you don't appreciate.

Edited by happyhomemaker25

I didn't vote, since none of the choices reflects my position, which is that I support it 100%, but I am open to joining any group in which I find people that I like.

I am a conservative Christian, one of those annoying "Jesus is the only way" types, but I like being friends with all sorts of people. So we were part of a secular and very inclusive support group until it disbanded, and now we're part of a Christian group that requires a statement of faith. The lack of non-Christians in the group isn't a problem, since we can meet a variety of people in other places.

I agree that people should start whatever kind of group that they want to start, but it's a serious bummer that you only have one in your area that doesn't work for you. And kudos on your integrity. I like that you won't sign something you don't believe, just because it might be practical.

We homeschool for religious reasons. I want the kids my kids hang out with the most to have the same values my kids have. They meet plenty of other children in other places that don't. Thier main support group is a group of Christians who believe the same way we do. That's important to me.

ETA: Look at the SOF as a positive. If your are not a Bible believing, God fearing Christian and you join a group that is you might be very uncomfortable. There could also be prostyltizing of your children that you don't appreciate.

:iagree: I like the idea of knowing who and what I'm getting involved with where my kids are concerned. It's one of the big reasons we homeschool - I was tired of all the "exposure" they were getting in ps to things that did not align with our beliefs. They will be exposed, but when it's appropriate age and maturity wise, and when we deem fit.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised there aren't more people glad to have a SoF. This is a very PC kind of thread. As a Bible-believing Christian, I am called to discernment and fellowship with fellow believers. My homeschool group is quite like-mined and it's comfortable because of that. You can look at it as a filter if you like, but I'd appreciate knowing in most circumstances what kind of a group I could potentially be getting involved in so that I can decide this one's not for me. The filter goes both ways!

I guess I already have plenty of fellowship with my fellow co-religionists--that's the easy part. I like meeting a wide variety of people, though, and all I'm interested in finding in a homeschooling group is a bunch of people who homeschool.

Besides, I already know all the Mormons in town who homeschool--all 3 of us.

We are Christians and not Christian enough (or maybe not the right kind of Christian) to join the local group where we used to live.

I will not join a group that requires a statement of faith. I'd rather be part of a diverse group.

A SOF I read from a local group was written in such a way that I knew that we, as Catholics, would not be welcome. :001_huh: I was very excited to find such a close group until I read that.

Just curious, what is it that would one would put in a SOF that would exclude Catholics (or Orthodox)?

Jenny

I attended a private Christian school for seven, years and have been in two Christian homeschool groups over the last four years of homeschooling.

Kids don't sit around comparing their beliefs. Maybe teens. Maybe. But I've never observed it.

Until recently our only co-op choices were religious ones. Even though I am a Christian, I don't quite agree with most faith statements because I believe there is more to salvation than the Sinner's Prayer. However, we still joined the groups and I handled it by signing this way: I do not completely agree with this statement of faith. However, I accept it as the prevalent belief of the group and will respect it as such.

One group had a place to sign this way, the other I created a place to sign that way. The leaders didn't mind my honesty although one group did say I would not be allowed in leadership because I didn't agree completely. I respect that. I joined for other reasons - like field trips.

ETA: I now belong to the secular group in town that is growing while the Christian ones are dying. I love the secular group! Religion is rarely discussed, and when it is, it is in such a different way. OUr secular group is mostly Christian with some other beliefs mixed in (Jewish, Atheist, Buddist). I think part of the reason the Christian ones are not growing (and are in decline) is because the faith statements were becoming more specific than general and by doing that those Christians that did not believe precisely that way were feeling the pressure to conform to that specific belief or leave - so they left.

Edited by Dobela

The primary meeting place for our inclusive group for years has been a public park. The problem for all other places in the area is that they charge rent--town hall, rec centers, Y, fire dept community rooms, etc. The libraries have a policy that groups can only use the space something like once a year and any program has to be entirely open to the general public so it only works for a few things. We do have a church that is willing to let us use their space from time to time. Lack of space is one of the primary reasons we are trying to become a 501c3 and have a dream of renting our own space that we can then use as a central place for homeschoolers of all stripes.

I run into both kinds of "SOF" in most groups in our area---either a very literal Protestant Christian sort of one or a "mention of anything related to religion is not welcome here." So I can pretend to be a literalist Protestant Christian or I can pretend my religion plays no role at all in my life in my conversations and those of my child. I do not believe in proselytization anyway, but both of those would require me to continuously monitor everything I did and said to not potentially cause problems.

I think SOFs are fine. I joined an 'open' group, and it just turned into fighting over religion (bashing and trying to 'enlighten' the poor misguided Christians.) I just want to get homeschool support. I try to skip those threads on here, and I sure don't want them at my homeschool meeting.

I do have a problem with SOFs that exclude Catholics. Many of my closest friends are Catholic, and the bitter, uneducated hatred for them from some of the Protestants I know ticks me off.

I attended a private Christian school for seven, years and have been in two Christian homeschool groups over the last four years of homeschooling.

Kids don't sit around comparing their beliefs. Maybe teens. Maybe. But I've never observed it.

As a child and teen and adult, I have spent many hours in conversations over belief with my friends. However, I acknowledge that comparative religion is a big interest of mine and always has been, so I may be an odd duck in that way as well as all the others;).

I can say that my daughter both at ages 6 and 8 got into big arguments over her faith with another child in our homeschool group. Luckily, because we are in an inclusive group and the parents are committed to working respectfully with each other and having their kids do so, it was able to be resolved easily. We are not Christians and I actually sought out a group of various beliefs (including liberal and conservative Christian) because I wanted these inevitable arguments to occur with kids who knew her as something more than just a religious label.

Christian kids do indeed compare their beliefs in my experience. My step-nephew was pulled from kindergarten to begin homeschooling because he was getting into fights in kindergarten for repeatedly telling the other (Christian) kids that they were going to Hell because they were the wrong kind of Christians. He was 5 and his family lauded him for this behavior.

The primary meeting place for our inclusive group for years has been a public park. The problem for all other places in the area is that they charge rent--town hall, rec centers, Y, fire dept community rooms, etc. The libraries have a policy that groups can only use the space something like once a year and any program has to be entirely open to the general public so it only works for a few things. We do have a church that is willing to let us use their space from time to time. Lack of space is one of the primary reasons we are trying to become a 501c3 and have a dream of renting our own space that we can then use as a central place for homeschoolers of all stripes.

Our Secular group often meets in the park. We have a standing time and day to meet there each week. A couple of our churches/synagogues would allow meetings there but no one wants to have the appearance of that being the prevailling belief. Our library allows meetings weekly if we want in one of their rooms but we can't bring any food or art supplies. We haven't found any other places to meet for free. We could rent, but we also don't charge member fees to be part of the group. Since most of our focus is social activities instead of classes this works.

My kids (7 & 4) have been spoken to about God and religion by our neighbourhood kids on several occasions. None of these neighbours are even church-goers (though one goes to a Catholic school) so it's not like they're being taught to "spread the word" or anything like that... it just comes up. Now, perhaps this is more noticable because we don't use the same language about God in our home, and if we were also Christian it would just slip by unnoticed. But yes, the conversations do happen. However, this is a welcome thing from my perspective; I like talking about religious diversity with my kids.

In my experience, I don't have to share religious beliefs with others in order to share values.

I absolutely feel that anybody can and should start any sort of homeschool group they want to, including ones with statements of faith. That is, of course, their right. But it saddens me that anyone would feel excluded from a homeschool community; it might (especially in a smal community such as this one) weaken their resolve to continue homeschooling--I mean, don't we all already feel a bit like outcasts :lol:? I wish homeschool groups (especially when there aren't many options otherwise) wouldn't request this.

What's your perspective?

I think it's better that they are up front. I mean, groups are cliqueish, whether they have you sign a statement or not. At least with a sof you know what kind of clique it is.

I wish there'd been an option for 'I support this 100%, but don't really care either way' :p . I'm not in a hs group, but I think that when you're trying to find a specific type of people for your children to "hang out" with a statement of faith or similar introduction to any group could prove helpful.

After reading this thread, I'm starting to think I like the idea of a SOF because it clearly lets me know where I don't want to be. So maybe the better answer for me would be that I'd rather that a group is inclusive of everyone but, if they aren't, that they come right out with it and tell me before I waste any time considering hanging with them. (Again, regardless of whether or not I hold the same beliefs.)

Just curious, what is it that would one would put in a SOF that would exclude Catholics (or Orthodox)?

Jenny

Anything that claims the Holy Bible is the ONLY source of truth. Anything that claims an individual is saved by faith exclusively. Anything that claims "once saved, always saved". Phrases about "being washed in the blood". Etc.

These are beliefs for many Protestant groups. Catholic faith and Orthodox faith do not include any of them. It is impossible to sign a SOF containing even one of these ideas.

I easily would sign a Christian SOF which was based upon the historically agreed-upon minimum definition of a Christian -- an individual who believes in salvation through the Holy Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), with all three persons of the Holy Trinity eternal, co-equal, and divine. That is straightforward, and would permit people to retain their individual faith group's teachings.

I can say that my daughter both at ages 6 and 8 got into big arguments over her faith with another child in our homeschool group. Luckily, because we are in an inclusive group and the parents are committed to working respectfully with each other and having their kids do so, it was able to be resolved easily. We are not Christians and I actually sought out a group of various beliefs (including liberal and conservative Christian) because I wanted these inevitable arguments to occur with kids who knew her as something more than just a religious label.

Christian kids do indeed compare their beliefs in my experience. My step-nephew was pulled from kindergarten to begin homeschooling because he was getting into fights in kindergarten for repeatedly telling the other (Christian) kids that they were going to Hell because they were the wrong kind of Christians. He was 5 and his family lauded him for this behavior.

I have happened upon plenty of times [not just in homeschool groups] where kids were discussing things their parents had been talking about, and what THEY believed. It happens a LOT.

I'm not interested so much in 'labels' but there is something to be said for seeking like-minded fellowship. Even the label of 'inclusive' carries certain understandings on what you should and should not be expected to do.

I seek out Christian groups because I know i need that Christian accountability. I'm simply NOT going to get that from someone who is NOT a Christian.

i seek out secular homeschool groups because i LOVE homeschooling. I can talk homeschooling for hours at a time with anyone, regardless their faith.

I 100% support them in defining their group as they feel best for them. In fact, I think it can be good for a group to have one.

I rarely feel comfortable signing the statement of faith bc it rarely agrees with my faith (Catholic, usually the sola scriptura thing) and I would feel dishonest to sign it.

There are some SOF that make it clear that the SOF is to make it clear what the group as a whole believes and will adhere to, not a requirement that those joining must have exact personal SOF for themselves. I haven't signed that, but might if the group were right.

I'm not interested so much in 'labels' but there is something to be said for seeking like-minded fellowship. Even the label of 'inclusive' carries certain understandings on what you should and should not be expected to do.

Absolutely it does. I agree with the posters who have said that they prefer folks to be upfront with the actual requirements of the group. It helps one sort things out from the beginning.

Okay, for all of you are saying "isn't it better to know upfront what you're getting into" that seems to be a chicken or egg proposition. By requiring a SOF, they are excluding people who might be Christian but not "their type" of Christian, or who might disagree with the wording, or who might feel they won't fit in. So of course, by limiting themselves in this way and by defining the requirements of their membership so specifically, they actually dissuade people who might be open and interested in discussing Christianity from joining. OTOH, I do see the point of posters who are saying "hey, wouldd you really want to join a group where CLEARLY the people are so different from you, and they're actually telling you up front that YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE."

I mean, when you go to church they don't ask at the door "wait, do you believe Jesus to be the only path to God?" They welcome you, they feed you, they teach you--regardless of what you believe. And if you are so moved, then you join the church, you ascribe to their teachings and tenets, and your faith deepens. Obviously, you know what you're getting to a degree when you go to church, and obviously, some part of you is seeking. I know a HS group is not a church (actually in many ways, those that require SOFs are less inclusive, less welcoming and in my mind, less Christian than a church!) If a homeschool group stated a christian mission, but didn't require a SOF, my sense is that more people would feel more welcome, and more people would feel that sense of welcome and community, which in turn would turn their hearts closer to God.

And isn't your faith a matter between you and God? I don't like the idea of a HS group deciding whether I am 'religious' enough to join their group. Just gives me the willies.

I believe the Christ is my personal Savior, but because of my specific denomination, many Christians don't believe me. They often use words in their "statements of faith" that specifically exclude me. Classical Conversations is one of these. As such, I'm not particularly fond of statements of faith.

Our co-op has a SOF. Only 4 points, each with an accompanying scripture, and pretty general in nature. Nobody has to sign it. Everyone does, however, have to sign a statement of behavior. This has 9 points and is much more detailed, dealing mostly with things like absences, illnesses, unruly children, etc. The first of the nine deals with the SOF, stating:

"All members of (group name) recognize that (group name) is a Christian group and will acknowledge the responsibility of the group to uphold the (group name) Statement of Faith."

Note the "responsibility of the group" to uphold the SOF, not the individual. Our mission statement is also a Bible verse. We want people to know that we are a Christian group, but we don't require that all be Christians. We have represented among our membership a large variety of Christian denominations, though I don't think we have any atheists . . . nobody really asks what a certain member's specific beliefs are.

I have happened upon plenty of times [not just in homeschool groups] where kids were discussing things their parents had been talking about, and what THEY believed. It happens a LOT.

I seek out Christian groups because I know i need that Christian accountability. I'm simply NOT going to get that from someone who is NOT a Christian.

i seek out secular homeschool groups because i LOVE homeschooling. I can talk homeschooling for hours at a time with anyone, regardless their faith.

Also, regarding the post you quoted, I don't really care to have my kids arguing about faith when they're supposed to be playing or learning. Again, I'm not in a group, but I can understand how a sof would make people in that group feel more secure and relaxed.

Okay, for all of you are saying "isn't it better to know upfront what you're getting into" that seems to be a chicken or egg proposition. By requiring a SOF, they are excluding people who might be Christian but not "their type" of Christian, or who might disagree with the wording, or who might feel they won't fit in. So of course, by limiting themselves in this way and by defining the requirements of their membership so specifically, they actually dissuade people who might be open and interested in discussing Christianity from joining. OTOH, I do see the point of posters who are saying "hey, wouldd you really want to join a group where CLEARLY the people are so different from you, and they're actually telling you up front that YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE."

I mean, when you go to church they don't ask at the door "wait, do you believe Jesus to be the only path to God?" They welcome you, they feed you, they teach you--regardless of what you believe. And if you are so moved, then you join the church, you ascribe to their teachings and tenets, and your faith deepens. Obviously, you know what you're getting to a degree when you go to church, and obviously, some part of you is seeking. I know a HS group is not a church (actually in many ways, those that require SOFs are less inclusive, less welcoming and in my mind, less Christian than a church!) If a homeschool group stated a christian mission, but didn't require a SOF, my sense is that more people would feel more welcome, and more people would feel that sense of welcome and community, which in turn would turn their hearts closer to God.

And isn't your faith a matter between you and God? I don't like the idea of a HS group deciding whether I am 'religious' enough to join their group. Just gives me the willies.

I believe there's a difference between having a mission statement and a statement of faith. My kids signed mission statements when they joined various groups in our church. For one, part of that mission is caring for widows/orphans, for another the mission is stewardship of our area. There is a "goal" with a mission statement. For a statement of faith, they aren't putting out much more than a goal that you would have a place with like-minded individuals to congregate/learn/etc.

If a hsing group is also hoping to use their group to bring people to Christ, then a statement of faith would be very counter productive. If they're hoping to have a place where their children can interract with other children that already believe the same as themselves, and parents that aren't going to roll their eyes or treat them like lepers when they talk about their faith, then a statement of faith would definitely help keep the group true to their core values.

Church doors are open, but there are limits on where and what you can do (ime, anyway). You can't take part in child care, leadership, certain groups (like the WMU). Yes, you're welcome to come as you are, but you aren't going to find that all doors inside a church are so open.

Many people feel that their faith is more than something between themselves and God. Many people feel their faith is 'the way, the truth...' and for those people, stewardship over their children includes having Godly places for their children to go to.

It may not float some boats, but I think the sofs are doing their job if it's keeping people out that wouldn't sign them away. I dare say, that's the point.