Menu

Would You Homeschool If It Became Illegal

Guest mrs. logic

Well, not on principal alone but if I thought it was the best thing for my children then sure. For instance, my youngest two go to PS but my highschooler still homeschool. If homeschooling became illegal today, I most certainly would not put my highschoolers in high school nor would I hesitate to pull my youngers from school if I thought it was called for.

I don't see how we could. Sure we could stop being out in the middle of the day but the schools have our "notice of intent" so when our kids still aren't in school they know we are home and would certainly come looking for them ;-) And my teacher neighbor would be sure to turn us in.

I think if we were moving to a new area and people didn't know us we could get away with it for awhile but overall I think it would be hard to go from our current situation to illegal situation and get away with it.

Yes.

Although I live in a homeschool-tolerant state, the "educational establishment" intends to exterminate homeschooling. One cannot drop vigilance.

My realistic guess is that like-minded homeschoolers would band together and form a legal private school for their children. Although this no longer would be "homeschooling", it would be education of the kind espoused by the parents and families.

If I push this thought-path further, and contemplate the elimination of private schools which do not conform to government-imposed requirements, I'll lapse into "1984-style" paranoia -- which is not my normal mode.

Since I have other options for my kids that would result in a good education....no, I wouldn't homeschool if it was illegal.

I guess it depends on what the consequences were too. If I was risking jail, and thus hurting my family, I would try to find another option that would probably include afterschooling.

If it was just a slap on the wrist and a fine. I would probably continue.

If I didn't have another option, I may consider it but since I don't believe hsing is the only option for us, I wouldn't risk it just on principle.

I bet a bunch of us would get together and make a private school or something else to get through the law on a technicality. We could join a VA if we had to and just have the kids take the assessments.

If private schools became illegal then I would start a classical charter school.

I agree. My husband's job wouldn't allow us to attempt to fly under the radar. We'd probably try to form a private/charter school with like-minded families.

Yes, in a heartbeat. My daughter has Asperger's Syndrome, is very bright but has some learning disabilities that neither the public system nor the private schools I've investigated are able or willing to accommodate. She would be left -- has been left, which is why she is now homeschooled -- to sink. I am not willing to let that happen.

I thought there was a thread not too long ago on this very same topic.

No, I wouldn't continue to homeschool if it were illegal. Our public schools are okay, I'm not anti-public school. If we had the money, we would probably choose a private school. Maybe some of the secular homeschoolers around here would start a small private school and that could be an option. No, I wouldn't risk breaking the law to homeschool, but I would be on the phone, writing letters, whatever to get the law changed.

Yes, and I believe it got fairly heated as those of us who say we would find any other options for our kids would be selling out.

I would not break the law on this issue. I would probably go back to work and pay for private school.

Dawn

No, I wouldn't continue to homeschool if it were illegal. Our public schools are okay, I'm not anti-public school. If we had the money, we would probably choose a private school. Maybe some of the secular homeschoolers around here would start a small private school and that could be an option. No, I wouldn't risk breaking the law to homeschool, but I would be on the phone, writing letters, whatever to get the law changed.

I am not giving my kids over to the state. I would find a way to keep my children with me. If necessary, I would move. I feel very strongly about this, I would do whatever it takes to keep them at home, including moving overseas. To me, it is not about whether or not I could find them an adequate education elsewhere...certainly, public and private schools can offer that. It is so much more, it is their entire being! And, I don't want that being shaped so much by the school environment, not while they are young.

Guest mrs. logic

Oops!

I wasn't aware of it.

This question came up for a group discussion recently among friends, so I thought I would post it here.

No. Family trumps homeschooling and to homeschool I'd either have to expose the kids to the risk of being separated from the DH and I if the gov't stepped in or have to take them away from all their extended family by moving to somewhere where homeschooling was legal. Either option would be horrible for my kids.

I'd likely afterschool them.

If homeschooling were illegal just in our state I'd move because I wouldn't want to be in such a restrictive state. If it was nation wide, I might actually consider leaving the country because I'm not sure I'd recognize an America where they are that restrictive of our freedoms.

If moving were not an option I like the idea of a bunch of homeschooling families setting up a 'school' where we get through a loophole. It might be hard for unschoolers though if the state has curriculum requirements as well.

I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge if/when we get there, but I can't see breaking the law intentionally. If worse came to worst I'd probably find a good private school (preferably montessori or something like that) and go back to work so I could pay the tuition if needed.

If homeschooling were illegal just in our state I'd move because I wouldn't want to be in such a restrictive state. If it was nation wide, I might actually consider leaving the country because I'm not sure I'd recognize an America where they are that restrictive of our freedoms.

If moving were not an option I like the idea of a bunch of homeschooling families setting up a 'school' where we get through a loophole. It might be hard for unschoolers though if the state has curriculum requirements as well.

I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge if/when we get there, but I can't see breaking the law intentionally. If worse came to worst I'd probably find a good private school (preferably montessori or something like that) and go back to work so I could pay the tuition if needed.

:iagree: Well stated! I can already see the families who would be a part of the school we'd need to open.

Ift it became illegal in my state I'd move. If it became illegal in my country I'd do all I could to "homeschool" legally. ie: umbrella schools If not I'd try moving out of the country if we could. If thats not possible, I would find a private school I liked and enroll the kids. We'd have to move in order to be closer to the school. (Probably out of state)

Edited by Mesa

No - I would either do one of the online charter schools or send them to a private christian school.

The Bible says that we are to

"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right." (1 Peter 2:13-14)

So to not obey the law would be sinful.

I would certainly 'afterschool' my children according to my own beliefs, though!

No.

I would join one of the state approved homeschool like schools and then go back to teaching my kids. I have thought about joining one anyway to get a more complete paper trail as the kids get older and honestly to get the money they offer.

This is a great idea, and I tend to agree that it would be my plan as well. I'd just supplement as I saw fit (i.e. Christian worldview and Bible) so that dd's education was complete.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Ift it became illegal in my state I'd move. If it became illegal in my country I'd do all I could to "homeschool" legally. ie: umbrella schools If not I'd try moving out of the country if we could. If thats not possible, I would find a private school I liked and enroll the kids. We'd have to move in order to be closer to the school. (Probably out of state)

This is great, too, Jackie! I guess it would depend on the specific details and situation involved. So whether we go with an online school that was "legal", or deal with it as you suggest here, I would do all I could to insure my dd is not cheated out of the education I believe I've been called to provide for her.

Blessings,

Lucinda

No - I would either do one of the online charter schools or send them to a private christian school.

The Bible says that we are to

"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right." (1 Peter 2:13-14)

So to not obey the law would be sinful.

I would certainly 'afterschool' my children according to my own beliefs, though!

Unless obeying man's laws would require me to violate God's laws. God's laws trump man's every time.

Dream scenario, should the unthinkable occur and a national ban on homeschooling came into effect:

I would purchase a plot of land somewhere out in the Alaskan Bush ( in the middle of nowhere) and build a small cabin on it. Then I'd file with the state and make that our official residence. We won't live out there all the time. We'll live somewhere else unofficially. What will they do then? There are people who do live out in the Alaskan Bush, hundreds of miles from any schools. There would be no way for the government to reasonably expect us to send our son to public school. Not to mention the only way to get out to those places is to fly a plane and then take a snowmobile to the location. The social workers are free to go out there...if they think that forcing my son to go to a failing public school is worth braving freezing temperatures and Grizzly bears. :lol:

I am curious. I am not trying to be inflammatory (at all!), but I would like to understand something -- when you say that God's laws trump man's laws, is there a specific Christian tenet about homeschooling? Is this about freedom to practice your religion, and believing that homeschooling is integral to your religious freedom? I honestly want to know.

Stripe,

I was using that to argue that I would NOT homeschool if it became illegal. I do believe there are principals in the Bible that could be pro-homeschooling. However, it is VERY possible for a parent to follow the Bible's standards for parenting, teaching, guiding, etc without homeschooling. I really believe it would require twisting to claim that God's standard is only homeschooling (or some kind of schooling at home). That is to say that everyone NOT homeschooling is refusing to follow God's way! And if you don't claim that, then you could, like non-homeschoolers, also follow God's way without homeschooling.

I'd rather homeschool. I believe I can better meet God's standards (and help my children to) by homeschooling. But when push comes to shove, I would have to follow the authorities God is allowing at this time because there is nothing in the Bible that says that any good Christian can only homeschool. I will beef up my parenting abilities in order to best meet his standards under less ideal (imo) circumstances.

Thankfully, this is likely a non-issue. The chance that this will change before my youngest graduates is next to nil.

I am curious. I am not trying to be inflammatory (at all!), but I would like to understand something -- when you say that God's laws trump man's laws, is there a specific Christian tenet about homeschooling? Is this about freedom to practice your religion, and believing that homeschooling is integral to your religious freedom? I honestly want to know.

There are some Christian groups, all Protestant ones have been my observations, which do believe that God commands them to homeschool their children. Once I read an attempt to link this with the Old Testament verses about raising children and teaching them the commandments of God.

Within my religion (Eastern Orthodoxy), there is no such viewpoint. We place God's law above man-made policies such the alleged "right" for certain practices currently allowed by civil laws. In those instances we would feel justified in ignoring governmental rules. For education methods, however, parents are expected to use their own common sense and to apply our Christian values where and when needed. To be honest, this responsibility did heavily influence our decision to homeschool. In no way, though, is homeschooling a "tenet" of Orthodoxy.

Since I have other options for my kids that would result in a good education....no, I wouldn't homeschool if it was illegal.

I guess it depends on what the consequences were too. If I was risking jail, and thus hurting my family, I would try to find another option that would probably include afterschooling.

If it was just a slap on the wrist and a fine. I would probably continue.

If I didn't have another option, I may consider it but since I don't believe hsing is the only option for us, I wouldn't risk it just on principle.

I agree that it depends on the consequences. My short answer is yes, and I would even go to jail for it, so long as it was a short visit. I would work on getting out of the state, or out of the country, or joining some loophole-finding homeschool "private school" because homeschooling legally is, of course, preferable.

I home educated in Hong Kong where the legal position was unclear and in China where it was illegal. However, in both cases, the authorities were not enforcing the legal position and the worst that could have happened to us was deportation from a country that was not our own.

If it became illegal in one of our passport countries we would probably not home educate. I'm a pragmatic home educator - I don't believe it's the only good way - so I'd look for an excellent school and work to pay for it, whilst campaigning for a repeal of the law.

Laura

I am inclined to say no out of fear of having my children removed from our home. I would not put that past the government if they go so far as to outlaw homeschooling.

If the free virtual school in our state is still available, I would do that. If that is not available and private schools are still in, I would try to start one. My dh is a public school teacher and has years of experience in administration Christian schools. I think we could do it together.

Yes I would. In fact I have looked into what to do if that were to happen and I discovered that in Ireland the right to homeschool is written into their Constitution, so we'd find some way to move to the land of Erin.

That is where my husband's family is from originally from anyway.

Blessings,

Hope

I would do an online charter school (it's just public school at home) unless the govt. deemed that that was also technically homeschooling. If so, I'd get together with other parents and try to create a legal private/charter/other legal option. I can't imagine putting my kids INTO school once the freedom to home educate was taken away and all of those homeschoolers would be flooding the system! Talk about chaos.

The state of Oklahoma's constitution specifies the right to homeschool. Hope Oklahoma has enough room for immigrants from the rest of the U.S. homeschooling world !

Yes I would. In fact I have looked into what to do if that were to happen and I discovered that in Ireland the right to homeschool is written into their Constitution, so we'd find some way to move to the land of Erin.

That is where my husband's family is from originally from anyway.

Blessings,

Hope

The state of Oklahoma's constitution specifies the right to homeschool. Hope Oklahoma has enough room for immigrants from the rest of the U.S. homeschooling world !

Yes, but they are trying to change that as well. There is a bill out right now trying to change the wording from mandatory schooling unless "other means of education" are being provided to "other appropriate means of education"

I wonder who would deem what is appropriate??? Pray for this one to die in committee.

No, we would not hs illegally. But we would find a legal way to do so. I have never worried too much about this, because every state that has tried to make it illegal finds a way to allow hs to become private schools in the home or to use umbrella schools with independent study programs or use ps at home online schools, etc. I have a feeling if it became "illegal" in our state, that these other options would become prevalent.