Menu

At what age do you let your child eat peanut butter?

I have heard not to serve peanut butter to a child until they are one. Then I heard age two. I have also heard age three mentioned on occasion. Recently I have heard that it doesn't matter.

:confused::confused::confused:

What do you do [and why :D] ?

{My 14 mo REALLY gets upset when she doesn't get to eat what the rest of the family is having!}

Thanks.

I have heard not to serve peanut butter to a child until they are one. Then I heard age two. I have also heard age three mentioned on occasion. Recently I have heard that it doesn't matter.

{My 14 mo REALLY gets upset when she doesn't get to eat what the rest of the family is having!}

Thanks.

I think I saved most common allergens (nuts, shellfish, honey, and eggs) for age 2, with the exception of milk. Milk dd was able to have at 1.

This brings a smile to my face b/c of my seriousness in handling this situation. When my dd was 1 we were near a Wendy's (don't do much junk food, but I did that day) and I bought my dd lunch including fries they prepare in peanut oil. We were smack dab across the street from a hospital, so I thought to myself this is a good "test" place on peanuts. She ate them and was fine. In fact we are big nut eaters: peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts.

When you decide to introduce just know that most people don't have a reaction. However, some people are severly allergic to them so just know the allergy signs to watch for and you'll be fine. HTH. Sheryl <><

My kids started getting peanut butter around 9 months. Yes, I heard all the news about waiting until they were older. I also considered that we didn't have any major allergies in the family and I had eaten it while nursing my kids so they had already been exposed to it.

Yes, allergies can pop up anytime so I just watched to make sure nothing developed.

When my kids were babies the recommendation was age 1. At some point maybe even before child #3 I heard that the recommendation had changed to age 3.

If I had another child now - I'd probably go ahead and try peanut butter at age 1. But - couldn't you give her a jelly sandwich when you feed the others peanut butter if you want to be cautious?

As an aside - with my first child, when I was trying not to feed him peanuts before age 1 - I found out that they had been giving peanut butter crackers to the toddlers under age 1 in the nursery!!! Apparently my child was having solid foods there when I was still breaking up cheerios to feed him so he wouldn't choke!!

Edited by Brenda in FL

This brings a smile to my face b/c of my seriousness in handling this situation. When my dd was 1 we were near a Wendy's (don't do much junk food, but I did that day) and I bought my dd lunch including fries they prepare in peanut oil. We were smack dab across the street from a hospital, so I thought to myself this is a good "test" place on peanuts. She ate them and was fine. In fact we are big nut eaters: peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts.

When you decide to introduce just know that most people don't have a reaction. However, some people are severly allergic to them so just know the allergy signs to watch for and you'll be fine. HTH. Sheryl <><

I thought Wendy's food was safe since I ask every time about the oil and what not for ds who is allergic to peanuts:confused:

When #1 was born, I was told 1 year. He wound up with a rash, so I didn't try again until he was 2, since I figured it *may have been from the pb. He was fine with the second go 'round.

When #2 was born, I was told 2 years. I let her eat it around a year old, since ds was already smearing it around the house and I figured she'd have reacted to it by then.

By the time #4 was born, I was told 3 years, but my house was so full of pb by then that he also got it around 1 year.

I used to wait until around age 18 months. Then, my third child got ahold of the lid when he was 11 months old and had a VERY scary reaction. Poor kid's face swelled up SO big.

Anyway, my now-4 yo still hasn't had it. She refuses to try it because she's heard us talk of Will's reaction. She's had nuts in things though, so I'm pretty sure she's not allergic.

Anyway, my now-4 yo still hasn't had it. She refuses to try it because she's heard us talk of Will's reaction. She's had nuts in things though, so I'm pretty sure she's not allergic.

Actually nuts are different from peanuts. Peanuts are a legume (not a true nut) so just because she has eaten nuts without a reaction - be careful because she could have a totally different reaction to peanuts (especially if another child in your family has had a reaction!)

My DS had a very bad reaction to peanut butter the first time he tried it (at about 18 months).

Most children will not react to it the first time they eat it...they need to build up antibodies against the protein... but because DS had been exposed when I ate it because I nursed him - he reacted the first time he actually ingested it.

With my next two children we waited until they were over 2 before giving it to them. One of them was also allergic, and the other was not.

Actually nuts are different from peanuts. Peanuts are a legume (not a true nut) so just because she has eaten nuts without a reaction - be careful because she could have a totally different reaction to peanuts (especially if another child in your family has had a reaction!)

My DS had a very bad reaction to peanut butter the first time he tried it (at about 18 months).

Most children will not react to it the first time they eat it...they need to build up antibodies against the protein... but because DS had been exposed when I ate it because I nursed him - he reacted the first time he actually ingested it.

With my next two children we waited until they were over 2 before giving it to them. One of them was also allergic, and the other was not.

:) I did know that. I was just in a hurry. She has had peanuts in other things as well. So, I'm not too concerned about a reaction in her.

My ds is also allergic to tree nuts (as well as a few other things). His reaction to PB I mentioned above was his first reaction as well - first time he tasted it. His first exposures also came through my breastmilk.

I'm so thankful that they've made labelling easier!

My kids started getting peanut butter around 9 months. Yes, I heard all the news about waiting until they were older. I also considered that we didn't have any major allergies in the family and I had eaten it while nursing my kids so they had already been exposed to it.

Yes, allergies can pop up anytime so I just watched to make sure nothing developed.

This was us, too.

My first son was sensitive to soy. Because peanuts are in the same family as soy, I waited to try peanut butter until he outgrew his soy sensitivity, sometime after age 2. He ate almond and cashew butters at about age 1. He still prefers these to peanut butter. No PBJ for him! His favorite sandwich is almond butter and nutella.

My second son had peanut butter crackers at about age 1. He usually eats what his brother eats, so peanut butter is reserved for cooking at our house.

I think my older two kids were around a year or year and a half. I waited with my oldest dd because she did have other food allergies. The pediatrician suggested waiting until she was 5 so we did. She outgrew her egg and milk allergies and has never reacted to nuts or peanuts. Our youngest dd had peanut butter at about 2.

:iagree:This is us too--and everyone in the house likes PB--except me. :lol:

As soon as they were able to eat it without choking.

:iagree:I didn't even *know* Tazzie was having pb until I caught Wolf feeding it to him one am, lol!

We've never waited with allergens. Yes, I've been yelled at about it. Now there's thinking that waiting promotes allergies. Basically, nothing you do is right :lol:

Neither Wolf nor I have food allergies. I have other weirdo allergies, but nothing to do with food, so looking at family history, we're pretty safe in that regard.

I think I saved most common allergens (nuts, shellfish, honey, and eggs) for age 2, with the exception of milk. Milk dd was able to have at 1.

Ditto. There is a long history of peanut, egg, and seafood allergies in my family. I also avoided strawberries until age 2 since dh had been allergic to them as a toddler. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

We waited too long and ds can't stand the smell or taste of peanut butter. It's made for awkward moments when visiting. I've had my moments of being treated like I was a bad mother. :)

Food avoidance can possibly, not always, be a sign of food allergy. MY ds avoided peanut butter and it turns out he has a severe peanut allergy:(.

I had always heard age 3, with the idea that if you introduced it too soon, some kids could have an allergy, whereas if you waited, that same kid might be fine. I figured it was worth it to wait. However, when my 2nd came, I gave her PB sometime after she was 1...probably 18 months old or something.

With the first kid I waited until 2, with the second I waited until 7 months or so (she was crawling and big sister fed her a pb cracker sandwich as her first food).

If you are really concerned you could try sunbutter. It is fairly similar without the nut issue and most kids like it.

I held off until age one with my eldest. I felt no need to wait longer as we have no nut allergies, or any other allergies of significance, in the family. I'd have waited until one for ds too, except he stumbled on one of dd's stashed crusts when he got mobile. He didn't blow up, so there was no use worrying...

Rosie

I held off until age one with my eldest. I felt no need to wait longer as we have no nut allergies, or any other allergies of significance, in the family. I'd have waited until one for ds too, except he stumbled on one of dd's stashed crusts when he got mobile. He didn't blow up, so there was no use worrying...

Rosie

That's pretty much what happened here. I held off with dd until she turned 1, but she was a toddler when ds was a baby, and once he started on solids, much sharing took place. I'm guessing he was between 9 and 12 months for pb.

My MIL has asthma, so the pediatrician we saw when my oldest was a baby gave me a very cautious schedule of food introduction from some allergy & immunology professional group. That said no peanuts or tree nuts until age 3. However, she was tested for food allergies at 12 mos. because she was below the 5th percentile for weight. When that came back negative, I decided to go ahead & feed her peanut butter.

My 2nd and 3rd also were off the charts small & both were tested for food allergies at 9 mos. When those came back clear, I introduced peanut butter.

When my dd was 1 we were near a Wendy's (don't do much junk food, but I did that day) and I bought my dd lunch including fries they prepare in peanut oil. We were smack dab across the street from a hospital, so I thought to myself this is a good "test" place on peanuts.

My understanding has been that peanut oil doesn't produce the same response as regular peanuts in those who are allergic? Neither I nor anyone in my family have peanut allergies, so I could be wrong!

I've always let my kids have a tiny smear on their sandwich (thin enough to not worry about choking) once they were old enough to eat a sandwich. Like I said, there is no one on either side of the family with pb allergies, so I haven't worried about it, any more than I worry about all the other things I worry about! If we had allergies, I would be much more cautious (e.g. DH is allergic to most antibiotics, and sure enough, DD is allergic to penicillin).

The doc said no PB, or tree nuts till 3 because by then they can tell u if they start to feel funny after eating it. We have an allergy kid and Allergist said 95% of children who die from allergic reations is from tree nuts. Just so happens we have one allergic to Almonds.(we found out when we gave him ched cheese w/traces of Almonds in it) Even with epi pen it can be deadly.

I just figured it wasn't that hard to wait till 3 to be on the safe side.

BUT now the twins are almost 2 it really is getting harder to keep them away from pb. One has been tested and is fine. Not sure about the other:confused:

Thanks.

We held off giving "allergy risky" foods until the kids were three years old.

I have severe asthma and seasonal allergies (no food allergies though) and out of our four kids... all four have asthma and were dx by age 1yr old (so we knew they were higher risk before they were of age to try some foods). So we were very careful about allergy risks.

When the youngers would fuss about not eating what other were eating, I just tried to not to eat it (or serve it to anyone else) around them. Or I would make sure I gave the younger something "special" that I knew would distract him/her from what others were getting. But if it just wasn't feasable for me to go through the hassle... the younger just was told "no you can't have it" and left it at that.

Peanut butter to a baby or a toddler? Even if it wasn't for the possibility of an allergic reaction, I wouldn't have allowed that type of food at that age (just like I wouldn't allow refined sugars or meat products, I tend to put it all in the same category of "avoid if you can, at least when they're young").

We started allowing it when they were 5-6 I think (a little after we introduced chocolate :D), the next baby is getting the same treatment.

Peanut butter to a baby or a toddler? Even if it wasn't for the possibility of an allergic reaction, I wouldn't have allowed that type of food at that age (just like I wouldn't allow refined sugars or meat products, I tend to put it all in the same category of "avoid if you can, at least when they're young").

We started allowing it when they were 5-6 I think (a little after we introduced chocolate :D), the next baby is getting the same treatment.

I'm confused. How is peanut butter like refined sugar?

Considering that my son would react to my breastmilk with I ate peanut butter... we waited 'til three. He was like lots of babies with allergies who eventually outgrow their infant allergies. He still reacts a little bit to cow's milk though, unfortunately, which was his worst infant allergy. Both me and my ex have allergies, so he was doomed from the start.

We waited too long and ds can't stand the smell or taste of peanut butter. It's made for awkward moments when visiting. I've had my moments of being treated like I was a bad mother. :)

Peanut butter smells awful. It just does. My parents didn't wait with me, and the smell makes me gag. I have to eat a bit if someone else is having some so I can't smell it so much. Ick.

because of family history, the doc told us to delay till age 5. Both DH and I have pollen allergies and animal allergies, and I'm allergic to some seafood. We were a high risk family, for sure. Oh, and I had asthma too.

So fine, no PB for el kiddo. But why did we think that Vietnamese chicken in peanut sauce was ok? I don't know. We were clueless. Sure enough, he reacted at 18 months. Thankfully, we had plenty of Benadryl, and he was fine. This also served as a lesson on how not to judge others who serve my kids dangerous foods. My DD was offered a sauce with cashews last time she visited a friend. Thankfully she's old enough to know and to ask!