Menu

May I see your entire 5th - 8th sequence?

In 5th grade we used:

Saxon 65

Intermediate Language Lessons (for next dc, MCT)

Everyday Spelling 5

Van Loon's Story of Mankind/SOTW audiobooks

Matin Latin

Prentice Hall Explorer (for next dc, Oak Meadow)

MP Christian Studies I (kinda sorta)

This year we are using:

Saxon 76

Intermediate Language Lessons, moving to MCT

Everyday Spelling 6

Oak Meadow Life Science

All American History I/ A Little History of the World (audiobook)

Maps, Globes, and Graphs

Wheelock's Latin

World Religions study

In 7th grade we will use:

Saxon Algebra 1/2

MCT--Voyage, all components

Everyday Spelling 7

Oak Meadow Physical Science

All American History II/ Teaching Co. High School American History DVDs

Wheelock's Latin

Mapping the World with Art

Logic--Critical Thinking I

The King's Highway for religion

In 8th grade we will use:

Saxon Algebra I (I assume ;))

MCT--Magic Lens, all components

Everyday Spelling 8

Oak Meadow Earth Science

Wheelock's Latin

Teaching Co. World History DVDs/ something else TBD

Logic--Critical Thinking II

Religion still TBD

Of course, this is subject to change, but this is my projected plan, as of today. ;) What does yours look like???:bigear:

You show me yours and I'll show you mine. :D

I made up the following plan just so you'd show me yours. It may or may not have any influence on what I actually do.

For my current 12yo (whose education is only partly in my hands) --

5th

I don't remember.

6th

Public school.

7th

See signature line.

8th

:willy_nilly:

For my now 9yo --

5th

* Classical Composition Fable & Narrative

* something on diagramming

* Life of Fred Decimals & Pre-Algebra Biology

* Key to Percents

* Elementary Greek 2

* Latin Prep 1

* Art of Argument

* a reading list

* a science kit

6th

* Classical Composition Chreia/Maxim, Refutation/Confirmation

* Analytical Grammar Units 1-10

* Life of Fred Logic

* Wildridge Software

* Key to Algebra

* Elementary Greek 3

* Latin Prep 2

* The Argument Builder

* a reading list

* a science kit

7th

* Classical Composition Common Topic, Encomium/Invective/Comparison

* Analytical Grammar Units 11-17

* Life of Fred Beginning Algebra

* Key to Geometry

* some of Athenaze 1

* Latin Prep 3

* The Discovery of Deduction

* a reading list

* a science kit

8th

* Classical Composition Characterization and Description

* Analytical Grammar Units 18-34

* Life of Fred Advanced Algebra

* Mathematics of Everyday Living

* more of Athenaze 1

* SYRWTLL 3

* Traditional Logic 1

* a reading list

* a science kit with dissection

Your turn, Nicole.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed
looked at LCC and realized I was plotting Classical Composition incorrectly

Just for kicks, here is the "projection" I have in mind for my present third grader:

5th:

Mystery of History, moving into Truthquest Egypt/Greece once we get that far.

BJU Math

BJU Writing & Grammar

BJU Science

WinterPromise Readers and selected lit/history books to use in the TQ course

6-8:

Continue as above.

Your turn, Nicole.

So serious, Rose. Nary a smilie anywhere!

5th grade:

* R&S Math, (texts for grades 4 & 5)

* R&S Science, mostly reading

* R&S Grammar, 4th grade text

* IEW Phonetic Zoo

* US history, using a school text (forget which one) and lots of read-alouds

* other stuff I can't remember :D

6th grade:

* Ancient & Medieval history with K12 Human Odyssey text, Famous Men of the Middle Ages, Outrageous Women of the Middle Ages and plenty of read alouds

* Singapore Math 5B & 6A

* R&S Science, mostly reading

* R&S Grammar, 5th grade text

* IEW Phonetic Zoo with lots of moaning

* Elementary Greek

* More stuff I can't remember

7th grade:

* Early Modern History with K12 Human Odyssey volume 2 text as a spine

* Singapore Math 6B & NEM

* Singapore Interactive Science (R&S was getting a little weird)

* Spelling workbook recommended by Nestof3 (no moaning!)

* R&S Grammar, 6th grade text

* LL 7 in its entirety in 3 months (leaning toward finishing the year with LL Early-Mid 19th century American)

* Classical Writing Older Beginners

* Athenaze Greek, 1 chapter, then switched to Japanese

Also, all through, piano lessons, Kendo, pottery class. This is a mess!

For next year, which might be 8th and might be 9th, I'm leaning toward:

* Modern History with K12 Human Odyssey OR back to the beginning with Speilvogel's H.O

* Singapore NEM

* Singapore Interactive Science

* R&S Grammar, 7

* LL ?

* Classical Writing OR MCT

What am I forgetting? I'll edit this response after I get my concert rolling ;).

ETA: Here's what I could not remember last night, 5th & 6th, Calvert's A Child's History of Art, Architecture; 7th, CHOA, Painting, next year Sculpture. Also, We may do the Calvert Civics course next year alongside our history. For our history we actually generate very little "product" -- we mainly discuss and read and read and discuss, with an occasional paper or report thrown in here and there, so the civics history / art history may look like more overkill than it is.

Edited by Nicole M

Hmmm....trying to remember...each boy was a little different due to co-op classes, but I think the youngest 2 were probably the closest to the same:

1. Math - Singapore through PM6B, then on to algebra 1 and geometry (although they diverged in curriculum brand with one using LOF and Art of Problem Solving and the other using Jacobs, MUS)

2. History - this was consistent. Our co-op went through all 3 levels of MOH. Literature was added to this as well. From there the boys went to Civics and Great Books (with some history thrown in related to our time period).

3. Science - again this was consistent. Our co-op used Rainbow Science (done in 1 year), Runkles World Physical Geography (can't recommend that highly enough), and then, this year, Conceptual Physics. We will be moving on to chemistry next year (not sure how/where/ etc.) BTW, this sequence has produced excellent results! I loved it. For years 1-5 we used Singapore Primary Science and also loved it.

3. English/LA - ugh. This has been the hardest for us. Grades 5-8 would have included various courses at co-op mainly focusing on writing. We did some basic grammar at home without much success (ABeka in the K-5 grades; later we used BJU - a bust; Easy Grammar - too easy; Jensen's Journey through Grammarland - best of the bunch; Grammar 101 website - OK for practice; editing with IEW and other sources - OK; and now we've hit on MCT - so far it rocks!). We've always thrown in literature that corresponds to the years we were studying in history and the boys are avid readers outside of school stuff.

I think that's all. We did drop Latin and started using Rosetta Stone Spanish. That provided some fun, but really didn't get done all that often. So, I'm sorry to say, we are "languageless" this year.

Well, LOL, I'm not sure I can put it all down (remember it all, that is). I'll try.

Last year, for fifth (I currently have my planner loaned out to someone who wanted to look at it) I used:

8-8:30 Memoria Press Christian Studies II, last half, for Bible studies, as well as a character study book I'd had on hand for a while and some posters regarding etiquette, a couple of manners books, etc.

8:30-9 Math - Singapore level 5; MUS Delta for division drill work. Can't recall that I added in any other things. I worked through part of a Zaccarro book with him over the summer to get ready for algebra work this year.

9-9:30 - Spelling - SWO level G; also used assorted word study books throughout the year.

9:30-10 - Grammar - Abeka level B; did do some of their writing, too.

10-10:30 - Writing - Getty Dubay handwriting, followed by italics copywork; used WordSmith Apprentice (I think that's all).

10:30-11 - Geography: used a BF study with one of the Holling books and some workbooks. Alternated this with Logic, using Mindbenders.

11-11:30 - alternated Latin and Spanish. Used Espanol para Chicos y Grandes and Latin Primer I.

11:30-12 - Literature - pulled together worksheets from online regarding various genres, etc. and made up a notebook of those to use along with our reading that was tied in with our ancient history period (lots of mythology and folklore).

12-1 lunch

1-1:30 reading

1:30-3:30 - alternated History (ancients) and Biology. Put together my own studies.

And we added in lots of memory work last year, too, using Drew Campbell's book to do that....

This year:

8-8:30 Memoria Press Christian Studies III.

8:30-9 Math - Singapore level 6; have used various Key to.... books for drill work. He has been doing an outside algebra class this year using a Brown, Dolciani book. We're getting ready now to continue with the Zaccarro book we started over the summer.

9-9:30 - Language Arts - SWO level H; also using assorted outlining/notetaking books throughout the year.

9:30-10 - Grammar - Abeka level C; did do some of their writing, too.

10-10:30 - Writing - Getty Dubay handwriting, followed by italics copywork; using Writing Strands 3.

10:30-11 - Geography: used a BF study with one of the Holling books and some workbooks. Alternated this with Logic, using Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detectives.

11-11:30 - alternating Latin and Spanish. Using Spanish for Children and some workbooks; Latin Primer II. Have also added in a page a day of the Greek "Code Cracker" book just as an intro to Greek.

11:30-12 - Literature - reviewing our notebook from last year; working through a literary genres workbook (which includes some writing, too); reading books related to our history studies (medieval).

12-1 lunch

1-1:30 reading

1:30-3:30 - alternating History (medieval) and Earth/Space Science. Put together my own studies.

I've pulled together art, music, and PE related things throughout the year, too.

Next year will look something like this:

8-9 - Morning reading time (lit/history/Bible/science)

9-10 - Math - will be continuing outside algebra work. I own Videotext and I plan on having him start through that for reinforcement.

10-11 - Language arts - will be using Vocab for the College Bound over the course of the next three years. Continuing italics copywork. Continuing Writing Strands and Abeka Grammar and Comp I; OR, I may switch to R&S and use it for both grammar and writing.

11-12 - alternating Spanish with Latin/Greek. Using Barron's Spanish Grammar the Easy Way (and he's also had an outside class once per week for the past several years with a native speaker). For Latin, continuing with Latin Primer III. Using Elementary Greek.

12 - 1 Lunch

1 - 1:30 Logic, using Nance's Traditional Logic I

1:30 - 3:30 alternating history (early modern) and chemistry. Putting together my own studies.

If all goes well, eighth grade will look much like next year in terms of the courses he does.

We are in fifth now, using SL Core 6 and thinking of doing this, Core 7 and Core 100 with additional Lit from Core 200 over the four years through eighth grade. So that covers all history and a run with Lit. (we are adding more because I have an avid reader).

Fifth:

EPGY, Key to Algebra

MCT Voyage level w/Online G3, Paragraph Town and Practice Town then moving to Voyage Essay and Practice

Plato Middle School Sciences and finishing up Glencoe Life Science

Art, Music, and Speech w/PS

Tenative Schedule

Sixth:

EPGY Algebra I and ?

MCT Magic Lens level w/Online G3, practice and yet to be determined writing

LL 8 or 9 with SL Lit

Concepts of Physics by Hewitt using Principles and taking out what we need to, with LabPaq labs

Electives w/PS

Seventh:

Math, yet to be determined based on level

MCT

?LL and SL Lit

Chemistry, considering many different programs, at high school level with LabPaqs most likely

Electives w/PS

Eighth:

Math, again yet to be determined based on level

MCT

?LL and SL Lit

Campbell Biology (not the AP) with LabPaqs

Electives w/PS

YMCA Gym and Swim and private lessons for gym/health

Edited by melmichigan

This is purely theoretical, mama, but here goes:

5th:

Biblioplan Medieval, Ren & Reformation w/ SOTW 2

Langauge Lessons Elementary 2

Finish Writing Tales II

Simply Spelling Level C

MUS Epsilon

MM 5

Latin for Children B

Child's Geography: Explore His Earth

6th:

Biblioplan America & The World 1600-1850 or MFW Exp - 1850

Language Lessons Secondary

Writing Tales III or CW Homer with CW Poetry A

Simply Spelling Level D

MUS Zeta

MM 6

Latin for Children C

Child's Geography: Explore His Holy Land

7th:

Biblioplan: America & The World 1850-2000 or MFW 1850 - Mod.

Language Lessons Secondary

CW Homer B & Poetry B

Apologia General Science

MUS Algebra & Life of Fred

some sort of Latin or start a 2nd language

Simply Spelling Level E

8th:

My Father's World Exploring Countries & Cultures (maybe?)

Apologia Physical Science

Simply Spelling Level F

CW Digenes Maxim and Int. Poetry

Content subjects will be combined with younger siblings. Simply Spelling will be on an as needed basis, although I do love the selections if for nothing more than cultural exposure.

Will do the 5th grade year differently for the youngers but for my oldest I did

5th:

Rod & Staff Grammar 5 (will be CLE in the future)

Teaching Textbooks 6 (will not use this again, will use CLE)

Imitations in Writing (the future will probably the Wordsmith Apprentice book that Tyler is using this year)

Sonlight Core 3 + Readers, Read-Alouds (will likely be Core 4 in the future and I'll do Core 3 in 4th grade)

Noeo Chemistry II

Sequential Spelling 1 & 2 (she is a poor speller, will not be necessary for the youngers that I can foresee)

6th:

CLE Grammar 6

CLE Math 6

Life of Fred (for fun)

Wordsmith Apprentice (she is already done with this and we are looking at Writeshop to begin soon)

Phonetic Zoo - Spelling

Sonlight Core 4 + Readers, Read-Alouds

Lyrical Life Science (all 3 books) + Adaptive Curriculum

Greek - Beginning this year

This summer: Studying astronomy while it is warm at night :tongue_smilie:

7th:

CLE Grammar 7

CLE Math 7

Life of Fred

Writeshop (probably)

Phonetic Zoo

Sonlight 5 or 6

Environmental Science (particular emphasis on all physics aspects since she knows the least about those) - making this myself

Greek

8th:

CLE Grammar 8

CLE Math 8

Life of Fred

Writeshop

Phonetic Zoo

Sonlight 6 or 7

Science ???? Might devote more time this year to computer science since she will recap all the other sciences in high school.

Greek

Note: My dd wants to do ALL the sonlight cores 5, 6, and 7 over the next two years. We might try it.

I didn't include all the electives, logic or geography. This year (6th) she is using:

Logic - Red Herrings, Logic Links, Logic Problems, General Discussion with Me. Not sure what we are going to use yet for formal logic

Geography - Maps, Charts & Graphs. We will probably finish this series. In addition, she does some online geography games and a 3D map book that ties in nicely with Sonlight.

Electives - typing, artpac, simply music, learning about the orchestra, lot of classical music, picturing america, great artists book, health... this is her "thing" so whether I plan it or not, she finds it and soaks it up :tongue_smilie:

Oh and we are using vocabulary from Classical roots as well - on grade level.

My oldest did

5th

ps

6th

ps

7th

SL 6+7 for history and LA

Apologia General Science

Mark Kistler's draw squad

and Saxon - some level that wasn't right.

8th

wow - would have thought I'd remembered this.

We floundered around, I broke my arm and had a baby. Ds and I read lots of books and I tortured him with math.

We also did some Math & Music unit study

With my next -

I plan to use WTM recommendations for history until 8th grade when I switch to Speilvogel's H.O.

Plan to use Ellen McHenry's science products Elements, Carbon Chemistry and the Brain in addition to WTM reccomendations

Continue with Rosetta Stone French at whatever level we are in by then.

Start a Latin sequence in 5th grade.

leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Planning to do MCT Voyage Level in 5th, magic Lens in 6th, then go back to IEW or start CW after that unless something better comes along. This would be more settled if I were happy with anything I am using now.

Continue our math sequence with a combination of Life of Fred and Saxon. Right now, the 9yo is in Fractions and 5/4

Going to keep up outside art lessons

Trying to talk to the district into offering an afterschool music program in my neighborhood so my kids can get free instrument lessons that I won't have to drive far to get

Three is also a really nice classical PS charter school that just opened up.. Maybe for sixth grade...... I remember being a teenage girl. I'm not sure I want to teach one.:D

My current idealized programs/plans (Note that math is oddly accelerated in all of my dc, a genetic disorder from my dad, lol. Also note that I am in total disarray in my logic stage science. . .):

5th:

SonLight Core 6

Story of Science Aristotle (& Quest Guides with activities)

MCT Town (full package)

SWO F

Thinkwell PreAlgebra

Sonlight Science 4 (mostly physics)

Spanish: Rosetta Stone +/- Discovery Streaming's Elementary Spanish

Mind Benders

Instrument Study

6th:

SonLight Core 6

Story of Science Newton & Einstein (& Quest Guides with activities)

MCT Voyage (full package)

SWO G

IEW Ancient History Theme Based

Thinkwell Intermediate Algebra

?? Science: PH Biology titles, TOPS biology titles, etc.

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish 1

Mind Benders

7th:

SonLight Core 7

MCT Magic Lens 1 (full package)

SWO H

IEW Elegant Essay

Art of Problem Solving Counting & Probability AND Number Theory

?? Science: Prentice Hall Explorer chemistry titles, TOPS experiments, + chemistry kit experiments

Critical Thinking 1

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish 2

8th:

SonLight Core 100

MCT Magic Lens 2 (full package)

W&M Utopia literature study/writing/LA

Art of Problem Solving Geometry

(??) Science: Visualizing Environmental Science + experiments from Environmental Science Activities Kit

Critical Thinking 2

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish 3

Of course, I have at least 5 other things I'd like to fit in somewhere. . . and I have to figure out science. . . Resources I am currently exploring for that age range include SL Science 4, TOPS experiment books, Prentice Hall Explorer titles, and probably doing high school level enviromental science and/or biology for 7th and/or 8th grades.

FWIW, I am accelerating my kids in math and spanish, largely b/c both come rather easily to them and that way they will have more time in high school (and college) to study music, which takes a LOT of their time.

And, of course, none of my 3dc fit lockstep into that sequence since I combine the older two in some subjects. . . but, anyway, that is my current idealized/averaged plan.

Edited by StephanieZ

5th Grade

OM 6 history (1st half)

OM 5 Science

Writing Tales

Growing with Grammar (supplement)

Philosophy for Kids (1-2 questions per month)

Calvert's Child's History of Art series (this 3 part series will be covered over the span of grades 5-8)

Saxon Math

Latin Prep 1

6th Grade

OM 6 History (2nd half)

OM 6 Science

Writing Tales

Growing with Grammar (supplement)

Philosophy for Kids

Calvert's Child's History of Art series

Saxon Math

Latin Prep 2

7th Grade

OM 7 History

OM 7 Science

OM 7 English

Philosophy for Kids

Saxon Math

Latin Prep 3

8th Grade

Civics Canada

OM 8 Science

OM 8 English

Advanced Philosophy for Kids

Saxon Math

So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3

Throw piano lessons and now (joy of joys! thankfully!) art lessons into the mix above.

Edited by Audrey

Wow, I'm tired just typing it all up.

For DD-my guinea pig

5th- PS- Open Philosophy Charlotte Mason-y Montessori like school

6th- PS- Same

7th- Uh, everything under the sun including, but not limited to: Critical Thinking CD's, Steck Vaughn, Journey Across TIme, History Odyssey, SOTW, Prentice Hall, Teaching Textbooks, Saxon 1/2 and Write Source 7th and Writing Strands and Spelling Workout. Lots of reading, book reports, photography class and basically just detoxing from public school. Didn't discover WTM until October or November of that year and I wish it would have been the first book someone handed me when I started hsing.

8th-Prentice Hall, R&S English (5th gr.), Boorstin's US History, History Portfolio Modern, History of US and Literature ala WTM, Write Source 8th, Wordsmith Aprentice, REWARDS, Prentice Hall, Spectrum, Aleks, Spelling Workout,and almost no Science with a hodgepodge of stuff. Outside art and photgraphy classes.

And for anyone whoever worries about sending them back to school or not doing enough.... I honestly felt like these 2 years I was a wreck and were a wash, and that she didn't learn a thing. But, she went back to ps this year and is doing great. She aced English both terms this year and will be promoted to Honors next year (that's a post for another time..) and after a bumpy first week of Geometry is doing really well. I'm very proud of her and she is constantly being complemented on her attitude and participation in class.

For DS-

5th- What's working-Saxon 6/5, Singapore 4, Oak Meadow Environmental Science ala WTM, SOTW, HO, Notebooking, R&S 5, SWO F, VFCR, Write Source (6), Write Guide online writing tutorial (1 mos), Prima Latina (finishing from last year), Trail Guide to World Geography and Prufrock books for logic, and consumer math,Carson Delosa Health wkbk, Discovery Streaming, Story Elements, reading ala WTM & some study guides thrown in, standardized test prep and possibly the Best of Short Stories.

6th Grade-

Saxon 7/6

Singapore 5

Rod and Staff 6

SWO G

VFCR 6

Daybooks for Critical & Writing

IEW US History Volume 1?

Write Source6

HO Early Modern

SOTW 3

OM 5

Runkle’s Physical Geograpphy & OM 7 Earth

Orbiting with Logic

Philosophy for Kids

Latina Christiana II

Learnables or Power Glide

Lego Engineering

Also this year and, if all goes well, the following years will include Guitar & a variety Art and Graphic Art classes.

7th Grade

Saxon 8/7

Singapore 6

Hake Grammar 7 or R&S 7

Write source (8th)

SWO H

VFCR A

IEW US History

Volume 2 (?)

Write Source 8

HO Modern

SOTW 4

OM 6 Life Science & Apologia Botany/Apologia Human Body?

Traditional Logic I

Philosophy for Kids

First Form Latin I

8th Grade

Lial’s Beginning Algebra or Saxon Algebra 1

Hake Grammar 8 or R&S 8

Write Source 8

VFCR B

Vocabulary for the High School Student

Weekly Essays

History of US

OM Civics/Current History

Trail Guide to US History

OM 8 Physical Science or Apologia

Traditional Logic II

Philosophy for Teens

First Form Latin II

Now keep in mind this is just a plan, but I would like to start having ds take an online class or two starting in 6th or 7th grade. Maybe for Latin and Logic. Also, at some point I'd like to find a class or co-op that does literature discussions as well.

Edited by LunaLee
Forgot some stuff

This is for ds currently in 7th:

5th grade:

History: American History with Hakim books and extra literature

Science: Prentice Hall Science Explorer - Human Body

LA: JAG, Spelling Mastery, Reasoning & Writing

Language: Japanese via Rosetta Stone

Memory & Bible & Handwriting

Math: Singapore 6A&B

6th Grade:

History: SOTW IV with AG and extra literature

Science: Exploration Education, Rainbow Science

LA: R&S 5 and Jensen's Punctuation, Spelling Mastery, IEW SWI B

Language: Japanese via Rosetta Stone

Memory & Bible

Math: Prealgebra via multiple resources

7th Grade:

History: Ancients - A Little History of the World and Augustus Ceasar's World

LA: AG seasons 1 & 2, Spelling Mastery, Jump In, Worldly Wise

Tech (instead of Science): Logo to Lego via TPS

Math: Forester's Algebra I

Geography: Mapping the World with Art

Art: Draw Squad

Memory Work

8th Grade (next year):

History: History Odyssey Middle Ages

LA: AG season 3, Put That in Writing, Wordly Wise, LL from LOTR

Science: Apologia Physical Science via TPS

Language: Getting Started with Spanish

Math: TT Geo

I'm forgetting some extras we've done over the years, but, for the most part, these are the things we've done and used.

Grade 5 (this year) Keep in mind my kids are delayed in several areas

Language Arts: A reason for handwriting, Copywork for little girls/boys(they asked for this one rather than the older kid one), WWE2 accelerated, Meaningful Composition 4+, R&S 3, MCP word study (almost done), Wordly wise book 1 (after MCP is done), Spelling workout C/D, various readers, soon to be adding in in Sonlight core 3 and 100 reading, grammar games, soon adding MCT poetry

Math: MUS Gamma, Horizons 3, Hands on standards 3-4, various games

History: Unit study on Explorers of North America, soon starting SL core 3, and 100 along with WP AS1 and Canadian history resources

Science: Apologia Astronomy, SL sci 3, mini units on life sciences as they come up

Bible: Christian studies 1, going to be adding SL bible 3 and 100 shortly

Other: Artistic pursuits K-3 book 1, Home ec for homeschoolers level 1, Hey Andrew level 1, Mission Monde 1, Prima Latina, Logic links, History of the horse, Beautiful girlhood/created for work, childsized masterpeices, Story of the Orchestra

Outside classes: dd- hip hop, piano, violin, drama, art, sculpting, photography, sewing, cheerleading, tumbling

ds- piano, drums, drama, sculpting, sketching, art, photography

Grade 6

Language Arts: Meaningful Composition 5, ds-R&S 4, dd-grammar town, both MCT vocab and poetry, SWO D-F, core 4 and 100 reading,ds- A reason for handwriting E, dd-HWOT Can-do cursive, games, copywork for girls/boys

Math: MUS delta, horizons 4, LoF fractions, Hands on standards 5-6, games

Science: Apologia Zoology 1& 2/, Sl sci 4

History/Geography: SL core 4, 100, and Canadian history, Our home and native land

Bible: Christian studies II, SL bible 4 and 100

Other: Mission MOnde 2, Hey Andrew level 2, Latina Christiana 1, Ludere Latine, Artistic Pursuits K-3, book 2, home ec for homeschoolers book 2, lessons in responsibility for boys level 1, beautiful girlhood/ boyhood and beyond, perplexors, analogy game, childsized masterpeices, typing

Outside classes: dd- piano, violin and possibly electric guitar, gymnastics or cheerleading and who knows what else...ds- drums, piano, possibly acoustic guitar, and not sure whatelse

Grade 7

English: Ds R&S 5, dd- MCT Voyage, both MCT vocab and poetry, Meaningful Composition 6, SL Core 5 reading, SWO G-H

Math: MUS Epsilon, Horizons 5, LoF Decimals/percents

Science:SL sci 5, Apologia Zoology 3

History/Geography: SL core 5

Bible: Christian studies III, Sl bible 5

Other: Artistic Pursuits K-3 book 3, Mission Monde 3, Hey Andrew level 3, Latina Christiana 2, Ludere Latine, Home ec for homeschoolers book 3, Lessons in responsibilities for books book 2, Child sized masterpeices, Traditional Logic 1, Computer skills (in MSword programs)

Outside classes :see grade 6

Grade 8:

English: ds-R&S 6, dd-MCT grammar, Both MCT vocab and poetry, Meaningful Composition 7, core 6 reading

Math:MUS Zeta, Horizons 6, LoF Pre-Algerbra 1 with biology

Science: SL Sci 7 (Apologia general science)

History/Geography: SL core 6. unknown geography resources yet

Bible: SL core 6, worldview course(not sure which one yet)

Other: Mission Monde 4, Hey Andrew level 4, Henle 1, Artistic Pursuits 4-6 book 1, traditional logic 2, ds- practical happiness, dd-unsure yet

outside classes: see grade 6

Edited by swellmomma

for all subjects? Projections, what you have done, lump it all together.

I wasn't going to join in because I wasn't sure what good these threads are. But then I started wondering if I could come up with my list or not!

5th

MFW's RTR, about half due to family illness (history, science, art, music, Bible, etc)

Singapore 4A/B & misc. math

ILL

WS, finish level 4, start level 5

Learnables & parts of La Clase Divertida Spanish, mostly with a mentor

co-op every-other-week, field trip on opposite weeks when able

6th

MFW's RTR, finish during 1st semester (history, science, art, music, Bible, etc)

MFW's EX-1850, start during 2nd semester

Singapore 5A/B & misc. math

ILL

WS, about half of level 5

La Clase Divertida year 2 Spanish; Learnables French with co-op

co-op every-other-week (tae kwan do, drama, French lang./culture), field trips on some of the opposite weeks

boys' book & gym club

7th

MFW's EX-1850, 1st semester (history, art, music, Bible, historic cooking with another homeschooler at our house)

MFW's 1850-Modern (including SOTW-4), 2nd semester

Singapore 6A/B & misc. math

Progeny Press, 2 literature guides

All-In-One Grammar (basic parts of speech)

WS, pick at level 5

Rainbow Science year 1 (with another homeschooler at our house)

La Clase Divertida year 3 Spanish, only about 1/4 of program

co-op writing 1st semester

co-op speech 2nd semester

outside art class, about half the year

boys' book & gym club

shop class with dad when able

8th

MFW 1850-Moderns, 1st semester (history & Bible are core; art & music when we get to those)

MFW ECC, 2nd semester

Math Relief Algebra & occasional other math

Kumon math

MCT Grammar/Vocab/some writing/hopefully we'll get to the poetry

LL7/8, about half of each

WS, still picking at level 5

Rainbow Science year 2

Spanish when we get to it

Total Health, started but on hold due to overload

Critical Thinking I & gym with boys' club

Math team

YMCA gym class

shop class with dad

Edited by Julie in MN

I'll play:

Math: Singapore 5-NEM 2? plus Rod and Staff 5-8

History/Language Arts: OM 5-8 but if it doesn't work out then the Famous Men of series followed by who knows what for modern history. And as for language arts, I have CW on hand. SWR for spelling.

Science: OM 5-8 or if that doesn't work out then all I am left with is the Singapore science stuff.

And of course rabbit trails to fill out the days. I am hoping that OM works out because I like their book lists and the texts have lots of good ideas for projects, discussion and such. Also with the grades 5-8 we will cover American history, ancients through modern and do a year of civics.

I'd also like to add in a foreign language. We've been doing latin and I would like to use Cambridge at some point but right now it is on hold. :001_smile:

My gameplan but nothing isn't for sure until we actually start the year

LA-Rod and Staff or A.C.E.

Math-MCP or TT

History-SOTW series

Science-Christian Kids Explore Science and Aplogia Science

Latin-for fun

This would be the publisher's I'd use but not for sure. For now while I am not a huge fan of Preparing Hearts For His Glory my oldest is really enjoying the program and may just scrap my game plan and go with HOD's next level.

for all subjects? Projections, what you have done, lump it all together.
This gets a vote as my favorite thread. It's like someone coming to visit your home and asking for details on all your decorating. :D

5th

LFC A

LoF Fractions, Singapore PM 5A

1/2 of LoF decimals %

FMoG, FMorR

Logic Liftoff

MOH (as religion/history)

CW Aesop B

Ancient Lit via LCC

The Elements chemistry

Art - mix of activities

World Geography (1/2 the globe)

6th (present grade)

LfC B

Dolciani/LoF pre-algebra (finishing decimals & % book)

Art of Argument (unit 1)

R&S English 6

Cw Homer (part of the year)

Paragraph Writing made easier (doing while on break from Homer)

Natural Speller (doing while on break from Homer)

Science Matters (first semester)

Biology/Anatomy (second semester, ala WTM)

Studies on Proverbs/Psalms

FMoMA w/The Story of the Middle Ages

Lit: King Arthur, Robin Hood, Dante for children, Canterbury Tales (retelling)

Art Talk

Music - Theory/Trumpet

World Geography (2nd 1/2 of globe)

extra curricular: 4H, carpentry with Dad

7th (decided and starting to purchase)

Latin Alive book 1

CW Homer (finish book)

Dolciani/LoF algebra I

LL LoTR

Art of Argument (unit 2)

Econ/Govern after Logic (per LCC)

Dallas school New Testament bible study

History: Guerber/Miller Ren & Reform

George Washington's World

Abraham Lincoln's World

Science: Earth Science text (Tarbuck) - select chapters

mixed with Earthquakes, Volcanoes, & Tsunamis

and Weather Projects for Young Scientists

and The Story of Science: Newton by Hakim

Irasshai volume 1 (Japanese)

Art (Davinci, Michelangelo, & the Baroque period)

Music: theory/trumpet

8th (projected):

Latin Alive book 2 or Lingua Latina (will do grammar if we use this book)

LTOW

second year of Alg 1 if necessary or

AoPS probability and counting

Modern lit ala LCC

Modern History using SoTW and ???

Discovery of Deduction

Worldview (1st semester) - possibly using

Frankenstein

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

Lord of the Flies

Animal Farm

Apologetics (2nd semester)

Handbook of Christian Apologetics - Kreeft

Mere Christianity

Irasshai Year 2 ( probably finish vol 1 and start vol 2)

Hewitt's Conceptual Physics

Story of Science: Einstein by Hakim

Art or Music (to be determined by ds)

Edited by elegantlion

Here it is...in theory anyway!

5th

SOTW 4 - any lapbooks that go with the time periods.

LLATL Purple

Apologia Botony/Astronomy

Library every week to check out books - Mainly using books Sonlight suggests but not following the Core or anything.

Saxon 6/5 or 7/6 depending

Latina Christiana 2

Would love Rosetta Stone Spanish but we shall see about budgets

Writing Stands 4 (unless another writing program presents itself...thinking maybe MCT...dunno)

Bible is reading and writing, coloring, discussing. We don't use a curriculum, haven't found one we liked.

6th

Notgrass World History (Unless I find something better by then)

LLATL Tan

Apologia Gen Science

Library again

Saxon 7/6 or Alg 1/2

First Form Latin

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Writing Strands 5

Bible

7th

Notgrass American History

LLATL Green

Apologia Phy Science

Library

Saxon Alg 1/2 or Alg 1

Second Form Latin

Spanish

Writing Stands 6

Bible

Traditional Logic 1

8th

Notgrass Government

LLATL Grey

Apologia Biology (no dissection..can't do it! Just can't!)

Library

Saxon Alg 1 or 2

Henle Latin 1

Spanish

Writing Strands 7

Bible

Traditional Logic 2

This is the plan.....however I ahve been reading posts on MST and it has me intrigued. Dunno though....that's another post :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug::grouphug:

Gosh......I can't remember exactly what my oldest 3 did that far back, but it was probably something like:

5th grade:

Horizons 5th grade math

How to Teach Spelling

science......whole books

history.......whole books

Voyages in English for gramm

writing assignments across curriculum

6th:

same as above but Horizons 6

7th:

same as above except switched to Phonetic Zoo spelling

Evan Moor geography

MUS alg/geo

my current 10th grader tried using Apologia general, hated it and we dropped it. Tried using SYRWTLScience Prep 2 thought it was pathetic and dropped it. Back to whole books from the library.

#3 PTIW and AG, not VIE

#3 French Prep and First Start French

8th:

VIE

Foersters alg 1

Apologia physical science (older 2 only.....we no longer use Apologia)

PH Explorer series for #3

history......my own list

Write Source 2000/Lively Art of Writing

older 2 VIE for grammar

#3 AG

#3 Rosetta Stone and Breaking the Barrier French

My current 8th grader:

5th grade:

MUS alg/geo

AG

PTIW

science......whole books

history......library books

French Prep and First Start French

writing across curriculum

Apples and Pears spelling

6th grade:

Foerster alg 1

Literary Lessons from LOTR

PTIW

AG

A&P spelling

science......whole books

history......whole books

French Prep and First Start French

7th grade:

CD new geometry program

all 3 Plato science middle school programs

LL from LOTRs

PTIW

AG

A&P spelling

history......whole books

Rosetta Stone then switched to Tell Me More French

Evan Moor geography

8th grade:

Foerster alg 2 (finishing mid Feb)

Art of Problem solving Counting and Probability (finished)

Art of Problem Solving alg 3 (starting in March)

Kinetic physics

A&P spelling

Grammar for Writing

Tell Me More and Breaking the Barrier French

Current 5th grader:

finished PTIW

Grammar for writing

AG

A&P spelling

history.....whole books

science.....whole books

Tell Me More and Breaking the Barrier French

Horizons 6

National Geographic Map Essentials

This is my plan but it's subject to change;)

5th grade dd

History-Oak Meadow this includes writing but I might add MC not sure. Don't want to overload

Science-Oak Meadow (still not sure)

Grammar-The Bridge to English Language

Math-Christian Light (some dc use CLE and others are using MM. Depends on what child for 5th grade)

Progeny Press Guides-Amos Fortune and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (could change there are so many good ones.

Spell to Write and Read

6th for dd

(Still in the works but looks something like this)

If Oak Meadow works out than continue for 6th

The Latin Road

Christian Light Math

Progeny Press two guides

Spell to Write & Read

This is what we used for 6th grade this year

Christian Light Science

Christian Light Social Studies

Christian Light Reading

Math Mammoth

Character Quality Language Arts includes grammar, writing + spelling but we are not using the spelling portion

Spell to Write & Read started in Dec.

7th ds and the rest will follow ;)

My Father's World Exp1850 for Bible, history, science ,music

Progeny Press Guides two per year

Math Teaching Textbooks

The Latin Road

Spell to Write & Read

The Father's Books for writing (or Meaningful Composition)

8th Grade

MFW 1850 to Modern Times

Progeny Press Guides two per year

Teaching Textbooks

The Latin Road

The Father's Book for writing

Progeny Press Guide

If all goes well we'll continue with MFW for HS :D

Thanks for the thread, that was fun:)

Edited by Homeschooling6

DS12, currently a 6th grader:

5th

Horizons 5 math plus Calculadders

WT2 (Co-op)

Shurley Grammar 5 (Co-op)

Lively Latin 1 (Co-op taught by me)

TOG Year 1 Ancients for History and Lit (Co-op)

BJU Handwriting 5 and Classically Cursive III

CKE Chemistry (Co-op)

6th

BJU Math 6 (son loves BJU math DVDs - who knew?)

CW Older Beginners w/ Harvey's (co-op)

Lively Latin 2 (first half)

Elementary Greek 1

CKE Physics (co-op)

TOG first Half of Year 2 (dialectic/first two units - co-op)

Vocabulary Cartoons

CLP Bible Level F

7th

4 classes via BJU (DVDs):

Pre-Algebra

Life Science

World History

Spanish 1 (plus Rosetta to supplement)

finish Lively Latin 2 (co-op)

Elementary Greek 2

CW Diogenes Maxim

TOG Year 2 Units 3 and 4 (through co-op)

8th

More BJU DVD classes:

Algebra

Earth/Space

American History

Spanish 2

CW Chreia

Elementary Greek 3

Omnibus I

Henle/Lingua Latina combo

My older girls started Omnibus in 7th, but I feel my son will benefit from another year of TOG before starting Omnibus, plus that is what our co-op is doing which made the decision easier. :D

Well, here's the tentative plan, with fifth grade being next year. Math & science are subject to a lot of revision.

Fifth Grade

Math: AoPS Intro Number Theory, AoPS Intro Counting & Prob, Life of Fred Advanced Algebra

Language Arts: MCT, finish Town and move into Voyage

Literature: reading list pulled mostly from WTM suggestions, ancients through mid-medieval period

History: year one of a three-year cycle

Logic: Critical Thinking One & Two via online course

Latin: Latin Prep 1

Science: middle school science/general science overview. part one of history in science. concentration on evolution & genetics in the fall. human body study over summer prior to 5th.

Fine Arts: piano lessons, homeschool band, Master's Academy, music & art appreciation a la WTM, drawing skills

Sixth Grade

Math: Life of Fred Geometry, Euclid, maybe AoPS Geometry?

Language Arts: MCT, finish Voyage, move into Magic Lens 1 level

Literature: reading list pulled mostly from WTM suggestions, mid-medieval period through 1600/1700ish (world lit only, no American)

History: year two of a three year cycle

Logic: The Snake and the Fox

Latin: Latin Prep 2

Modern Foreign Language: maybe start, with a tutor

Science: Biology - haven't settled on a text. part two of history of science (once every week or two)

Fine Arts: music lessons continued as desired, Master's Academy, music & art appreciation a la WTM, watercolor a la WTM

Seventh Grade

Math: Life of Fred Trigonometry, AoPS Intermediate Counting, maybe AoPS Precalculus?

Language Arts: MCT, finish Magic Lens 1 level, Magic Lens 2 level

Literature: reading list pulled mostly from WTM suggestions, 1600/1700ish through present (world lit only, no American)

History: year three of a three year cycle

Logic: ??

Latin: Latin Prep 3

Modern Foreign Language: start if didn't in sixth, continue w/ tutor

Science: Conceptual Chemistry. part three (probably last part) of history of science (again, once every week or two)

Fine Arts: continue music lessons as desired, maybe Masterkey program?, art & music appreciation a la WTM, modeling/sculpture a la WTM

Eighth Grade

Math: uhhh. Maybe start Calculus? Hope there's more AoPS stuff out? I have no idea.

Language Arts: MCT, finish Magic Lens 2 level if necessary, Magic Lens 3 level

Literature: American literature, pulled from WTM suggestions & other sources

History: United States history

Logic: ??

Latin: SYRWTLL 3

Modern Foreign Language: continue w/ tutor

Science: Conceptual Physics

Fine Arts: continue music lessons as desired, maybe Masterkey program?, art & music appreciation a la WTM (probably with a focus on American music and composers), art skills focus TBD

All four year: lots of cross-curricular writing, health concepts via family discussions & GS badges, and physical education via swimming, walking/running, and yoga

Edited by patchfire

oldest (went to ps for 6th and 7th, so I just have projections for what I had planned for those grades)

5th

SL Core 5

Singapore 5B/6A/6B

Easy Grammar (instead of SL grammar)

6th

planned to do SL Core 6, no idea about any other subjects

actually did ps

7th

planned to do SL Core 7, no idea about other subjects

actually did ps

8th

SL Core 7 for history, readers, readalouds only

SWI level B and then IEW methodology for writing

Jacobs Algebra

Prentice Hall Science Explorer

middle, currently in 9th

5th

finished up combo of SL Core 6 and SL Core 2 for history, readers, and readalouds only

tried to do IEW for writing based on TWSS

Megawords

Singapore 5A/5B/started 6A

6th

SL core 7 for history, readers, readalouds

SWI level B and then IEW methodology for writing

Megawords

Singapore finished 6A/6B

aleks pre-algebra for one month free trial

Math Smart Junior over the summer

7th

Eastern Hemisphere using resources from SL Core 5, but very heavily modified

IEW metholodogy for writing

Megawords

combination of Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra I - covered first 8 chapters of each

8th

first half of SL Core 100 for history, readers, and readalouds only

US History-based writing lessons volume 1

Megawords

Winston Grammar Basic and Word Works

finished Kinetic Books Algebra I (dropped Jacobs)

youngest, currently in 6th grade

5th

SL Core 3 for history, readers, and readalouds only

Rewards Secondary

repeated timed readings for fluency

Sequential Spelling

proofreading at http://www.spellingconnectionsonline.com/game3.php'>http://www.spellingconnectionsonline.com/game3.php starting with 2nd grade level and working up to 4th grade level

attempted Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales IEW writing program, but it bombed (IEW doesn't work for her)

attempted Easy Grammar, but it didn't work for her

attempted Winston Grammar, which worked for a while, but then bombed

Singapore 4B/5A

Scott Foresman 5th grade science

6th grade (current)

SL Core 4 for history, readers, and readalouds only

creative writing however she wants to do it, mostly fan-fiction

Sequential Spelling and Spelling Power

proofreading at http://www.spellingconnectionsonline.com/game3.php

First Language Lessons 3 as an experiment after finishing up to 6th grade level in proofreading

Singapore 5B, but bailed near the end

now doing a combination of Key to Fractions, Decimals, Percents, and Algebra combined with Lial's BCM

have just decided this week to drop Lial's BCM until she finishes the Fraction series (almost done with book 2 now, so won't be all that long)

7th grade (projected)

either SL Core 6 or Oak Meadow 6th grade for history (both cover ancient and medieval)

maybe Essay Apprentice for writing since nothing else I've tried for her has worked

continue with Key to series and Lial's BCM

8th grade (projected)

SL Core 7 or Oak Meadow 7 for history

continue with Key to series and Lial's BCM, move on to Jacobs Algebra or Kinetic Books Algebra when finished

For my now 6th graders, here's the past, present and tentative future:

5th:

LA: Easy Grammar 6, Editor in Chief, Punctuation Puzzlers, outside writing class, finished Getty-Dubay penmanship series, Spelling Wisdom (dd1) Sequential Spelling 4 (dd2), Word Roots, Book discussion group w/ Teaching the Classics

Math: Singapore 5a/b, Math Detective, Math Mosaics

Science: RS4K Chemistry level 1, other topics with coop, Science Detective

History: US History with living books

Spanish: Spanish the Easy Way (1st 1/2 of book), El espaĂƒÂ±ol con juegos y actividades (first book and 1/2 of 2nd), A Trip to Mexico (reader)

German: German Sat. School

Logic: Grid Perplexors

6th (current):

LA: MCT Town level, 2nd semester may also mix in: IEW Ancient History Writing, either Jamestown Short Stories or Mosdos Silver Short Stories.

Math: Singapore 6a/b, CWP6, Math Detective, Math Mosaics

Science: CPO Focus on Life Science, Science Detective

History: Finishing US History with living books, starting 2nd semester K12 Human Odyssey/World in Ancient Times plus living books

Spanish: Spanish the Easy Way (2nd 1/2 of book), El espaĂƒÂ±ol con juegos y actividades (rest of 2nd and 3rd book), Los viajes de Rosa y Ernesto (reader)

Logic: Grid Perplexors

7th:

LA: MCT Voyage level, Lightning Lit 8

Math: Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1a/b, Math Detective

Science: CPO Focus on Earth Science and/or Ellen McHenry Carbon Chemistry, Science Detective

History: K12 Human Odyssey/World in Ancient Times plus living books, depending on pace moving on to vol. 2 of HO and World in Medieval and Early Modern Times

Spanish: Spanish Now! Level 2, reading TBD

Logic: Critical Thinking Level 1

8th:

LA: MCT Magic Lens level 1, Learning Lit through Lord of the Rings

Math: Foersters Algebra 1 w/ Math without Borders (dd1), LOF Beginning Algebra (dd2)

Science: CPO Foundations of Physical Science

History: K12 Human Odyssey vol. 2/World in Medieval and Early Modern Times, with any luck moving on to HO vol. 3

Spanish: Ultimate Spanish Review and Practice, Destinos, Intermediate onversational Spanish CD course, reading TBD

Logic: Critical Thinking Level 2 (if we finish level 1)

I'm also thinking of buying Mapping the World with Art and Joy Hakim's Story of Science and mixing them in over the next couple of years.

Art, music and PE through outside classes throughout.

Projection (based on my plans at the moment), subject to change:

5th Grade

Oak Meadow US History and/or SOTW 4

My Pals Are Here Science

Hands On Equations

Mathematics Enrichment Programme 5

Apples & Pears Spelling D

MCT LA Town

Orbiting with Logic

Atelier Art 5

Latin Prep 2

Spanish (Rosetta Stone?)

Physical Education - maybe dance, gymnastics or swimming

Bastien Piano 4

The Violin Book 4-5a

6th Grade

Oak Meadow Ancient Civilizations

Exploration Education Intermediate Physical Science

Mathematics Enrichment Programme 6

MCT LA Voyage

Atelier Art 6

Latin Prep 3

Physical Education

Bastien Piano 5

The Violin Book 6-7

7th Grade

Oak Meadow World History

Elements of Chemistry/Carbon Chemistry

MCT English

Life of Fred: Beginning Algebra

Atelier Art 7

Foreign Language

Physical Education

Music

8th Grade

Mapping the World with Art/Excavating English

Oak Meadow Earth Science and/or The Story of Science

Life of Fred: Advanced Algebra

MCT English

Atelier Art 8

Foreign Language

Physical Education

Music

It's hard for me to remember what I ate for breakfast but here's a go at it:

5th grade:

Pearables The Narrow Way, scripture reading

R&S5 English

Writing - Nothing formal, just Remedia Outlining and other little sources, we tried WWE but my son hated it

Saxon 7/6

A mish mosh of MOH and TruthQuest Ancient History

We barely managed to finish Apologia Astronomy

Progeny Press guides, SRA Reading Comprehension Guides from HOP and just trying to get him to read ANYTHING

Started w/Sequential Spelling and ended up w/Megawords

Vocabulary - nothing formal

The above was our first year and I was happy to just make it through :tongue_smilie:

6th grade - this year

R&S Bible 5

R&S English 6 w/MCT Grammar Town

Chalkdust prealgebra

CLE 6 Reading

AAH1

Daily Geography Practice Grade 6 Evan-Moor

RS4K Chemistry/Biology/Physics Level 1

Started IEW-SWI-B and from January-May we are using WriteatHome online

Vocabulary Cartoons and getting reading to start CE1

Megawords

Prufrock Press Orbiting Logic series

Hoping to start: MCT Grammar Town poetry and PT in a few weeks

7th grade

R&S Bible 6 + Apologia Who Is God?

R&S 7 English and maybe MCT - we will see - I just can't let go of my R&S!

May continue w/IEW or outsourcing of writing

CLE 7 Reading

Unsure about Math - Algebra of some sort

AAH2

Apologia General Science

Eastern/Western Hemispheres - Geography

Megawords if we are not done - otherwise unsure but he will need something

CEII Vocabulary

Logic - I will go with suggestions from the board

Language: either First Start French or First Form Latin

I would love to do a composer study of some sort as well

I have NO clue about 8th grade. I am sure I will rely heavily on all of you as I have so far. :001_smile:

Older:

5th:

English: Hake Grammar 6, Sequential Spelling 2, homegrown writing and literature

Math: Jacobs Algebra (first half)

History: Homegrown 1650-1850

Science: Prentice Hall Science Explorer Inside Earth, Earth's Changing Surface, and Astronomy

6th

English: Hake Grammar 8, Sequential Spelling 3, homegrown writing and literature

Math: Jacobs Algebra finished

History: Homegrown 1850-present

Science: K12's Life Science

Latin: Getting Started with Latin

7th

English: Daily Grams 7, Sequential Spelling 4, changed to AAS mid year, homegrown writing, K12 Literature B (literature part only)

Math: TT Geometry

History: Overview of world history prehistory-1800 using K12's Human Odyssey and Spielvogel's Human Odyssey

Science: Conceptual Physical Science-Explorations physics part only

Latin: Latin Prep 1 (half)/So You Really Want to Learn Latin 1 (half)

8th (current)

English: MCT Voyage level, AAS, K12 Literary Analysis and Composition (literature part only)

Math: Foerster's Algebra 2 (starting now)

History: K12's Human Odyssey 1800-present (very informal)

Geography: Bergman's Introduction to Geography

Science: Conceptual Chemistry, Teaching Company Chemistry lectures, and Chemistry LabPaq

Latin: Cambridge 1

Note: This child has dyslexia and is also very bright, which is why the levels are all over the place.

Here's my current curricula for 5-7, and my plan for 8th grade. :001_smile:

5th grade dd

Saxon Math 54

Lively Latin Book 1

Rod & Staff 3 (We started the series late, and I wanted a review/easy year to ensure all children had a solid grammar foundation.)

Calvert Spelling & Vocabulary CD-rom

Pentime Penmanship 5

History Odyssey Ancients level 2

McGraw-Hill Science 5

6th grade ds

Saxon Math 76

Lively Latin Book 1

Rod & Staff 4 (See above)

Calvert Spelling & Vocabulary CD-rom

Pentime Penmanship 6

History Odyssey Medieval level 2

McGraw-Hill Science 6

7th grade ds

Saxon Math 87

Oxford Latin Book 1

Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek Level 3

Rod & Staff 5 (See above)

Calvert Vocabulary for Life CD-rom

Pentime Penmanship 7

History Odyssey Early Modern level 2

Apologia General Science

Plan for 8th grade

Saxon Math Algebra 1/2

Oxford Latin Book 2

Athenaze Book 1

Rod & Staff 6

Calvert Vocabulary for Life CD-rom

Pentime Penmanship 8

History Odyssey Modern level 2

Apologia Physical Science

Considering:

An old critical thinking book I have - outline & discuss exercises

Classical Writing Older Beginners

OK, I feel like I'm *way* behind the curve in planning now :). We're halfway through 4th and I'm still compiling info on things to finish up this year (some things are changing) and what to do for 5th. I'm enjoying gaining ideas from the lists you folks are posting, however, so thanks.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread so much. Lately, I've been struggling with the feeling that by the time I finally get this middle school stuff figured out, my kids will be finished with it and there will be no one left to benefit from whatever I might have learned. Anyway, this is what I've done/am contemplating doing. My children are basically sixth this year. (DD would be fifth if she were in PS, but I've always combined them in everything except math. This is the first year that she's struggled and I've questioned the wisdom of that.)

Sixth Grade

Growing with Grammar 6

Daily Grammar Practice (just starting this b/c DD isn't retaining well with GWG)

IEW methods for composition assignments

Caesar's English I for vocabulary.

Latin Prep I (again, DD struggling and lagging a bit behind)

History Odyssey - Level II Ancients, with many WTM literature recommendations added

Saxon 6/5 for DD & have just switched DS to Saxon 7/6 after doing half a year of ChalkDust Basic Math. I ADORED ChalkDust, and he seemed to be learning lots in each chapter and holding his own, but he was blowing the cumulative reviews big time, and I could no longer ignore the fact that he just wasn't retaining what he was learning. It wasn't wasted time by any means, but I'm hoping that the continual review in Saxon will work for him as it has for DD. I'll truly miss Uncle Buck, though. *sigh*

Christian Studies by Memoria Press

The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way by Joy Hakim, with some TOPS books and other hands-on science added in for experiments.

Critical Thinking is done in an informal co-op setting using a variety of different materials.

The next couple of years are still hypothetical, but I'm tentatively planning on the following for seventh and eighth grades:

Continuing Growing With Grammar along with Daily Grammar Practice, and maybe for eighth grade just doing the DGP and handling grammar as it occurs in their writing.

Continuing with Caesar's English II and then Word Within the Word.

Continuing with the Latin Prep series

Continuing with Saxon Math.

Tapestry of Grace for history, lit, geography, etc. I need something with teacher helps at this level. I'd love to read every word of everything they read, but it's just not realistic right now.

Rainbow Science

Critical Thinking series.

I haven't really looked hard at the TOG writing yet, but I suspect we'll continue to use IEW methods for composition just because we're all comfortable with it at this point.

And that's all I have for now, but thanks to all who have posted their plans!

SBP

I might forget a few things but here goes:

5th-

Math- R&S 5 with Singapore supplement

Latin-Our Roman Roots

French-songs

English-Intermediate Lang. Lessons (Serl)

History & Literature-primarily AO Year 3

Arts- piano, History of Art Painting (Calvert)

Handwriting-Italics E, copywork

Spelling-Spelling Power, Dictation

Science-Human body unit and Microscope Adventures

6th-

Math- R&S 6 with Singapore supplement

Latin-Henle I

French-First Start French

English-Writing Tales 2

History&Literature- primarily AO year 4 -(pulling from Year 5 too)

Arts-same as 5th

Handwriting-copybook

Science-units on electricity and magnetism, Great Inventors&Their Inventions

Geography-Paddle to the Sea with map

7th-

Math-started with CD math then switched to R&S 8 with Singapore supplemt.

Latin-First Form, copybook

French-FSF and L'Art de Lire, copybook, soon dictation

English-Classical Writing Homer, dictation, copybook

History&Literature-primarily AO year 7 (adapted)- (pulling from Year 5 and 6 too)

Arts-Piano, theory, History of Art Sculpture (Calvert), watercolors, etc.

Science-Botany Adventures

Geography-Book of Marvels

8th-

Math-R&S 8 with Singapore supplement until ready for Algebra I

Latin-Second Form, copybook, possibly Cambridge

French-FSF (maybe), L'Art de lire, copybook, dictation, narrations/readings

English-CW Homer until ready for Diogenes Maxim, copybook, dictation

History&Literature-primarily AO year 8 (adapted)

Arts-same as 7th

Science-maybe General Science

Geography-Book of Marvels

Logic-Critical Thinking

Edited by Kfamily

This is what I am planning on for the basics:

5th grade

R&S Math 6

SL 4 - Lit, History, Science, Bible

CLE LA 4/5

Spelling Mastery E

IEW

Typing

6th grade

R&S Math 7

SL 5 - Lit, History, Science, Bible

CLE LA 5/6

Spelling Mastery F

IEW

7th grade

R&S Math 8

SL 6 - Lit, History, Science, Bible

CLE LA 6/7

IEW

8th grade

Lial's Basic College Math or Lial's Algebra I (depends on what ds is ready for)

SL 7 - Lit, History, Science, Bible

CLE LA 7/8

IEW

I will also be using WordSmart Vocabulary cds and adding in a logic program and latin at some point, but I haven't thought that far yet.

How did 5th grade get here so fast?

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Don't know how interesting mine will be to you, Rose, for two reasons. First, you recently filled in some gaps for me (again) and second, Will's still a 3rd grader, so my 8th grade is pretty sketchy, but here it is:

5th: Oxford World in Ancient Times + supplemental reading

Lively Latin 2

Elementary Greek 2

Singapore/Japanese or MEP Math

Classical Writing: Homer

Art of Argument

Life Science (resources TBD)

6th: Oxford The Medieval and Early Modern World

Lively Latin 2

Elementary Greek 2/3

Singapore/Japanese or MEP math

Classical Writing: Homer

Discovery of Deduction

Earth Science (resources TBD)

7th: Oxford The Medieval and Early Modern World

Latin Prep 3 ??

Athenaze

Mathematics: A Human Endeavor

Classical Writing: Diogenes

The Snake and the Fox

Chemistry (resources TBD)

8th: Modern History (spine TBD)

Latin...Either a reading course or possibly SYRWTLL3

Athenaze

Elementary Algebra

Classical Writing: Diogenes

?? Logic ??

Physics (resources TBD)

By HS, my planning devolves into a reading list and the sincere hope that CC will pick up some of the math/science load, but we'll see. And my goal with Latin (and possibly Greek) is to be working through one major work each year. We'll see.

(Oldest child is currently in 7th, and the following is his sequence; dd's will be a bit different.)

Humanities

5th:

Classical studies: FMOG, Memoria Press D'Aulaires Greek Myths lit guide, Iliad & Odyssey retellings

BF Early American History - Intermediate

Lit: various American lit

6th:

Medieval studies: TOG Yr 2 Units 1 & 2, plus additional lit

7th:

American history: Hakim's History of US a la WTM (outlines, summaries, lists of facts), Critical Thinking in US History as occasional supplement

Lit: LL7, plus a few from WTM list

8th:

undecided, very undecided (some areas of interest: LL from LOTR, History of the Ancient World, The Bible and Its Influence, LL8, economics)

English

Grammar

R&S-5

R&S-6 (the two R&S books are spread over 5th-7th)

Warriner's 3rd Course

Spelling/vocabulary

SWO-F,G,H, then: VfCR-A,B,C

Wordly Wise-2,3,4,5 (one book per grade)

Math

PM-5

Chalkdust Basic Math 6

PM-6

Chalkdust Pre-Algebra

Chalkdust Algebra (or outsourced algebra course)

Science

5th: PH Science Explorer

6th: BJU Life Science (outsourced class)

7th: BJU Earth & Space Science (outsourced class)

8th: BJU Physical Science (outsourced class, I hope)

6th

English Prep 2/3 (Galore Park)

Lightning Literature 7 (Hewitt) - second half

Maths Prep 2/3 (Galore Park) and Life of Fred Fractions, and Decimals and Percents

Latin Prep 2/3 (Galore Park)

Story of the World 3/4 with Our Island Story, This Country of Ours, Kingfisher and various historical fiction and non-fiction

Chinese for GCSE books 1/2

Recorder From the Beginning books 3

Galore Park Religious Studies for Today

Draw Squad - abandoned towards end of year

Various memorisation - poems, history facts, etc.

Taekwondo (blue belt at start of year), running, walking

Scouts, home educators' book group and monthly school trips

7th

Finish Galore Park So You Want to Learn English 3

Unit studies of The Merchant of Venice and To Kill a Mockingbird

A book a week as assigned reading

Various lists of often misspelled words

Life of Fred Beginning Algebra and the geometry chapters from Galore Park SY Maths 3, with Galore Park Mixed Maths Exercises and Bond Assessment Papers

Classical Civilisation for GCSE

UK Spectrum Key Stage 3 Chemistry and Physics

Trail Guide to World Geography at half speed

Galore Park Latin Prep 3 with vocabulary from Cambridge Latin

Chinese for GCSE - revise books one and two, and continue with book three, taking GCSE exam in summer

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn French - finish book 1, study book 2

Finish Galore Park Religious Studies for Today, finish Philosophy for Kids

Guitar lessons and music theory

Various memorisation, mostly poetry

Taekwondo three hours a week; swimming lesson half an hour; running most days

8th (projected, if Calvin doesn't go to school)

Galore Park Year 9 English

Unit studies of Hamlet and ??

A book a week as assigned reading

Various lists of often misspelled words

Life of Fred Advanced Algebra and review of the geometry chapters from Galore Park SY Maths 3, with Galore Park Mixed Maths Exercises and Bond Assessment Papers

SOTW 4, much supplemented

UK Spectrum Key Stage 3 Chemistry and Physics

Trail Guide to World Geography at half speed

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 with vocabulary from Cambridge Latin

Mandarin studies - format undecided

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn French - finish book 2, study book 3

Some form of philosophy or logic

Guitar lessons and music theory

Various memorisation, mostly poetry

Taekwondo three hours a week; swimming lesson?; running most days

Laura

I always like these kinds of threads.

This is for my oldest, who is in 5th Grade this year.

GR. 5

Math--MUS Epsilon & LoF Fractions

Grammar--Mother Tongue Bk II

Writing--CW Homer A & Poetry for Beginners A

History--this year was a bust as we have had a really bad year as far as my health issues and personal things

Science--same as above

Literature--AO YR. 5

GR. 6

Math--MUS Zeta & LoF

Grammar--Mother Tongue BkII

Writing--CW Homer B & Poetry for Beginners A

Latin--Henle

History--Ancients with Guerber and additional reading

Science--don't know yet

Literature--AO Yr. 6

Gr. 7

Math--MUS & LoF

Grammar--Mother Tongue Bk III

Writing--CW Diogenes

Latin--Henle

Logic--Fallacy Detective (if this works out well then we will move on to The Thinking Toolbox

History --the humanities book list from Hicks' Norms and Nobility

Science--don't know yet

Literature--AO Yr. 7

Gr. 8

Math--MUS & LoF

Grammar--MOther Tongue Bk III

Writing--CW Diogenes

Latin--Henle

Logic--the logic from Memoria Press (I can't remember the title)

History--the humanities book list from Hicks' Norms and Nobility

Science--don't know yet

Literature--AO Yr. 8