Menu

Acceptable condiments/insult to the cook?

What are acceptable general condiments?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What are acceptable general condiments?

• Salt
    • Pepper
    • Ketchup
    • Tabasco
    • Mustard
    • Vinegar
    • Lemon juice
    • Soy sauce
    • Mayonnaise/salad dressings
    • Other

I saw on another thread about a DH putting ketchup on Beef Stroganoff. In your house, what count as acceptable condiments to add to a dish, and what are an insult to the cooking? I'm not talking about things that are usually used with the dish (ketchup with French fries or mustard with roast beef) but something that might be added just because the eater thought the dish was boring/not to their taste, so they wanted to change it.

I'll try to post a poll, but I'm sure I'll miss some out, so feel free to post others.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I voted other because all of those are acceptable. I've never heard of mustard on roast beef as per your example. I might look at you oddly, but if that is what you want on you beef by all means, go ahead.

Say the Beef Stroganoff mentioned originally? I would be a bit miffed if I had put time and energy into a dish, then someone smothered it in ketchup.

Laura

It wouldn't bother me a bit. Everyone has different tastes.

I think of cooking as a gift. If I painted a picture with a red house in it, and the recipient said, "It's nice, but I would have preferred a blue house," I would feel that my gift had not been appreciated. Maybe I'm too sensitive.

Laura

Say the Beef Stroganoff mentioned originally? I would be a bit miffed if I had put time and energy into a dish, then someone smothered it in ketchup.

Laura

Don't think so. I'd be insulted if said person, grabbed up everyone's plate, dumped them all back into the pan and started adding ketchup, spices and/or other stuff, and said "Now this is the way this dish should have been prepared.

But as for an one individual with weird tastes, I wouldn't have been insulted.

I think they are all acceptable although some sound nasty to put on food. Ketchup on Beef Stroganoff--yuck. You forgot to add ranch dressing to your poll. When they were younger my kids would put ranch on almost everything-chicken, veggies,ice cream(kidding) I needed to buy ranch by the case.

What makes me nuts is when people start salting my food before they even taste it. If you tasted it first I wouldn't care.

I think of cooking as a gift. If I painted a picture with a red house in it, and the recipient said, "It's nice, but I would have preferred a blue house," I would feel that my gift had not been appreciated. Maybe I'm too sensitive.

Laura

:iagree: My husband claims to love my Italian Meatloaf with Basil and Provolone. He asks me to make it once in a while, even though he knows I don't particularly care for loaves of meat (no matter how flavorful they are!) And then he proceeds to drown it in ketchup. :glare: Tell me, what is the point of going to all of the work to make the dish if he puts so much ketchup on it that the basil and provolone can't even be detected?! I could throw a couple of eggs and some breadcrumbs in a pound of ground beef and toss it in the oven much and it would be easier, but that's not the kind he wants. When I said as much to him he looked sheepish, and hasn't asked me to make the meatloaf again in months.

Laura -

I totally agree! I've spent hours preparing something like Chicken Marsala only to have my husband dump half a bottle of peanut sauce on it when I serve it to him. He does this all the time. What I've finally realized is that his allergies make it so he can't taste things unless they are very strong. The result here is that I don't make more complicated dishes because they aren't appreciated by anyone but me.

I do think all of the condiments above could be okay if they are complimenting the dish. It's more an annoyance to me when whatever is put on the meal completely obliterates whatever I've prepared.

Lisa

I tend to think a little bit of something that has been set out on the table (e.g. salt, ketchup, salad dressing, chili peppers, pickles, this varies by culture), is okay, but digging in the frig for a wild assortment of condiments is a bit unusual. And it does bring to mind that scene in the Joy Luck Club with the soy sauce.

I don't understand people who salt before they eat. But I take that as a statement about them more than about me.

I did enjoy watching a Japanese friend of mine eat in college, though. She mixed salad and main dish together and ate it with thousand island salad dressing on top. At almost every meal! I found it funny more than anything else. But it was dorm food.

I voted "other" because all of those are fine for the cook to use, but as a guest, the only one that I would ask for is salt and pepper...unless we were having hot dogs, and then I might ask for ketchup or mustard or mayo. Otherwise, IMHO, it is not polite for a guest to ask for anything that was not placed on the table, and equally impolite to negatively comment on what the cook might have used when cooking.

Laura

I really wouldn't care. Honestly! I only get irritated when he either he (a) doesn't eat it at all, or (b) tells me what it is missing. I should give some grace on (b) because my dh is a WAY better cook than I! I always answer something to the effect of, "Would you like to cook every night?":D

Laura

No, not too sensitive, you just look at cooking differently than other people. I don't see it as a gift - I see it as a means to an end. We need food to survive and I cook it. I would rather not. I don't *like*to cook!

Laura

Not a problem with me. All of us have different tastes. That is what makes all of us great!! We are individuals....:001_smile:

Holly

There are certain things that gross me out. Not an insult, but seriously stomach churning.

Fellow I dated, his family put ketchup on french toast. *gack* When I saw his mom make it, I understood why. She had so much oil in the pan (oil in the pan?!) that it was darn well deep fried. I took over. Added vanilla to the egg mixture, cinnamon on the toast, and told his Dad that if he put ketchup on it I'd beat him. He took one look at what I'd made and said, "Hell no, you put syrup on that!"

Thank God. I seriously would have hurled.

Wolf loves ketchup on his eggs. I turn my head, even wait til after he's eaten to eat. Egg yolk and ketchup make me gack.

Ketchup on the stroganoff? ;) That's just not right. Remember that scene in the movie The Joy Luck Club when the white guy dumps spoy sauce on the mother's slaved-over dinner? Remember the horror?

I taste as I cook, and think a lot about my seasoning. I wouldn't like anyone dumping more salt over something I think is well-seasoned. ;)

I would make an allowance for lemon. I often add an extra slice of lemon when I plate.

Edited by LibraryLover

On the other hand, my mother-in-law, for example cooks towards the most timid palate, keeping in mind that kids eat the food. So she (and almost all other adults) put all sorts of hot and sour condiments on top of what they eat. But it's expected, and some of them are homemade anyway, and the condiments are handed around. It really does depend.

On the other hand, my mother-in-law, for example cooks towards the most timid palate, keeping in mind that kids eat the food. So she (and almost all other adults) put all sorts of hot and sour condiments on top of what they eat. But it's expected, and some of them are homemade anyway, and the condiments are handed around. It really does depend.

Yes, in some cuisines, you do put the sauces etc out with the food. That's different. To get up and get something...not so much.

I voted other because it does not bother me if someone adds a condiment to their food. Different people just like different things. My husband very rarely eats meat without ketchup. Its not an insult to my cooking, its just what he likes. We have kids in our youth group that will ask (before they ever take a bite of something) if we have tabasco or ranch dressing.

I cook for the kids' palate. Needless to say, DH is forever adding something to my dishes. Usually it is seasoning salt or hot stuff. I was raised with little salt in a meal (mom can't taste salt unless something is super salty so she couldn't judge a normal amount), so I am accustomed to having it lightly salted. The one thing that does drive me insane though, is when he seasons it before even tasting it. I mean, every once in a while, I like to think he would at least try my food as is, I do season different dishes to different degrees.

Honestly? I wouldn't consider being insulted by someone putting a condiment on their food. I haven't had it happen, but if it did I'd consider that they just liked that particular condiment. After the plate is in front of them, it's their food and none of my business. I'd really consider more that I was being too sensitive if it offended me.

I like steak sauce and always put it on my steak, regardless if it's the very best or very worst steak I have ever eaten. I just like it. It wouldn't be a slap in the face of the grill master. ;)

Ketchup? That's disgusting. LOL.

Salt, Pepper, and Tabasco are what I voted. Although in reality it isn't Tabasco but hot sauce. These are fine because I go with the lowest amounts for the kids.

My family almost NEVER adds anything to our meal. But I remember my Dad always did and it drove my mother nuts. He wouldn't even TASTE the food first and she found that insulting.

She's an awesome cook by the way.

I am not insulted in the least when anyone wants to add or subtract anything from my cooking! Don't like green peppers? Pick them out! Think it needs more salt? Go for it! (Well, taste it first, at least.) We all have different tastes, and I think it would be odd to expect everyone's tastes to align! My idea of the perfect, subtley seasoned roast might need a jolt of hot sauce to be perfect for someone else's palate. Who cares!

I may find their chioce of condiments weird (like Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, when Walter Cunningham drowns his meal in sorghum), but it doesn't offend me. My dh overuses BBQ sauce, in my opinion, but I'm completely over it. He grew up eating bland/expired/reconstituted dried foods available free from the school district's cast-offs and his dad's so-called cooking, so he developed a taste for BBQ sauce rather than food.

Offened & insulted are such very heavy words. :D I would be 'surprised' if made a nice meal, thinking about seasoning, and, without tasting it, a family member poured something over it.

If you do this, would you do this at someone's home? I mean, if they served a nice stragnoff, would you ask for some ketchup? Or hot sauce? The condiment thing is limited to home, right?

I understand an older person, as in the BBQ sauce story, needing a comfort like that, but for kids, introducing them to various seasonsoings etc is part of my master plan to help them appreciate a variety of tastes.

Edited by LibraryLover

Wolf loves ketchup on his eggs. I turn my head, even wait til after he's eaten to eat. Egg yolk and ketchup make me gack.

My husband is the SAME WAY as Wolf. And I am the SAME WAY as you. I understand that it's probably edible to him, but :ack2:

I voted for salt, pepper, and Tabasco. Those are the ones I feel you can ask for if you're at someone else's house (depending on the dish, of course). I agree that Ranch dressing should have been on the list. My husband never had Ranch till he moved here and now firmly believes that Mazzio's (regional pizza chain) Ranch dressing runs his life. Well, that and Ben & Jerry's.

When my son was younger, he was a condiment king as well. Yogurt was a condiment. Not just plain yogurt, either. I distinctly remember him mixing together blueberry yogurt and chicken cacciatore and consuming it with gusto. I had to walk away.

Given all that, I don't really care about what you put on the food, but only AFTER you've tried it, and definitely not if you're visiting. DH used to salt AND pepper the food before tasting it, so one day I hid the shakers. He was looking EVERYWHERE for them, all while trying to be discreet. I finally told him that I had them and would give them up after he tried the food to see if it really needed anything. He looked sheepish and agreed. Thank heaven he can be taught.

My dad used to tell us we couldn't put crackers in our soup because it would be an insult to the cook. Heck, I can't eat my soup any other way!!

I need to get to the bottom of this....:bigear: :D If the soup is served with crackers...as in oyster crackers with chowders etc., that's fine. In Olive Garden, it's fine...at home, fine...but if it's not part of the 'plan', you might be changing the taste with the addition of crackers...

Edited by LibraryLover

My younger children put Newman's Ranch Dressing on everything at dinnertime. I let them, because I don't care what they put on it so long as they eat their healthy dinner. Now that he is getting a bit more mature, ds7 is starting to taste things before he puts the dressing on his dinner, and sometimes likes it enough to skip the dressing altogether. Even so, Grammy even keeps a bottle in her fridge for when we're visiting...

A friend with 7 children has one with reflux who always puts vinegar on his mashed potatoes. No one else in her family does this, and she thinks it may some something to do with his body craving extra acid. Hmmm.

I wouldn't dream of asking for condiments other than what is offered/on the table if I was a guest in someone's house.

Up to around the age of 7-8 or so, I have no problem supplying kids with whatever condiment makes it easier for them to eat (except my kids--they need to learn not to drown everything they eat in something loaded with sugar/salt/fat/etc.).

After 8, while I would be willing to accommodate a guest in my home in whatever way I possibly could, I would consider it poor manners to ask for condiments I hadn't provided (except for salt & pepper, which to me are standard items that should be at the table).

I am one who works hard to make food that tastes good, especially for guests, and I do think it's somewhat disrespectful to the cook to alter the meal she/he has prepared. I'm learning to let go of that, though, now that DH and I are leading a young adults ministry and are dealing with 19 year old boys who apparently have never been asked to eat something that doesn't appeal to them.

My oldest loves hot sauce, and he puts in on his eggs. I don;t know what it is about eggs and hot sauces.

Has he tried Cholula (Original)?

It's a bad habit to start, because it is pricey (and one tends to want to drown the eggs because it's soooo good. But Cholula and eggs is an amazing combo.

Offended & insulted are such very heavy words.

This is kind of my feeling too. Ordinarily we don't have things like salt or ketchup on the table, but these days (given a youngster) we don't make our meals "picante" as we often did before we became parents. So we'll serve Indian and Sri Lankan pickles and chutneys on-the-side, and do the same with various hot sauces.

Bill

Which is how most Indians and Sri Lankans eat pickles and chutneys, as opposed to already mixed in. It really changes the equation to consider how different people eat.

You are of course correct that Indians and Sri Lankans (and even us) have always served pickles and chutneys on the side (although I did like to cook with Maldive Fish Sambol), but what I was (attempting) to get at was the reduction of "picante" seasonings in dishes due to having a youngster who has yet to develop a taste for "spicy-hot" foods, has led to more table-side use of hot sauces, chilies, pickles and chutneys as "compensation" for milder seasoning were currently employ.

Bill

I do this when I cook for church on Wednesday nights. I cook for about 150 people, from toddlers to 90 year olds. Some folks have allergies to onions, some have high blood pressure. I try to accommodate as many as I can, so I don't salt anything, but set out salt and pepper shakers. I set out hot sauce for nights I make food that some like really hot. I make one pan of whatever without onions for the ones that can't have it. For me, food is a gift, too, and I want to make it acceptable to those I'm giving it to.

At home, though, I make meals the way dd and I like them, so there's no additional condiments needed.

Laura

I spent years in family (ethnic) restaurants watching Americans ruin perfectly good food by drowning it in various sauces - many times before even tasting it!

I used to take it somewhat personally but then I realized that their food (generally speaking) is so subpar in terms of quality -- forsaken for convenience, such as canned foods, prepackaged mixes, cheap cuts of meat used at home -- that they are so accustomed to the need to mask flavor rather than actually enjoy it by cooking to enhance it.

Now I just feel sorry that so many people have never enjoyed truly good food, and that some don't even care to. I no longer take it personally that they adjust my cooking (by oversaucing, etc) to appease their conditioned taste buds, but I encourage them to try it "my way" first.

I had a friend who thought she hated veggies (grew up on soggy veggies buried in butter) until she ate them the way we prepared them (sauteed lightly, served semi-crisp). Now she loves them; she just didn't know any differently from how she grew up.

I should have chosen other because I think my real answer is: whatever the hostess has made available to go with the meal. If it's not sitting on the table, I try not to ask for anything.

I don't get my feelings hurt very easily, but I find it slightly annoying to see someone add flavor altering condiments to the food I've worked very carefully on WITHOUT TASTING IT FIRST. lol. I don't get upset or anything, but I am shaking my head on the inside.

I know it's silly, but I like to think the roast you are about to taste is the best roast you've ever had in your life. This is not some common roast.....but you'll never know it because you just SLATHERED IT IN KETCHUP! What???

Doesn't offend me, but that I notice it at all makes me careful not to do it with other people's cooking.

I get miffed when dh tries to add salt and pepper to something I cooked. I usually say something like 'Would you at *least TASTE it first?!'

Moose puts ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, and ranch dressing on weird things. Like if he has grapes and carrot sticks, he'll dip the grapes in ranch if he has some on his plate. He's come up with some funky combos. But he has some sensory issues, and some food textures make him gag. So I just chalk it up to 'he likes the texture of sauces'. Oh, and I've had to teach the other children that it is impolite to make comments about what their little brother is eating. Even if it's celery dipped in mustard. :tongue_smilie:

Laura

I would make a mental note about that person and that dish. If it was company, I wouldn't make it for them again. If it was family, I'd ask them what they didn't like about it.

I'm pretty open to constructive criticism on cooking, as long as it's actually constructive! Everyone has somewhat different tastes. I'm willing to accomodate to a certain extent.

I would prefer that the eater try my food first without assumming that it needed a bath in ketchup or something else, but I don't mind after that. I grew up with a very hospitable grandmother who put every condiment imaginable on her table at every meal so people would feel comfortable getting the food to taste just so or to meet a craving. Her food was good without all that so it wasn't always used, but it was always offered.

It wouldn't bother me at all. If a guest wants to put shoe polish on their spaghetti, it's fine by me -- in my opinion, they're ruining their meal, but not anyone else's. And if they enjoy it -- wonderful. My husband is Canadian and they put vinegar on their french fries and mayonnaise on everything else. Go figure.

I say - use whatever condiments that make the food taste the best to you! I use very little salt/spices/pepper when I cook because everyone's tastes are quite different in our family. Everyone salt/peppers their own food. Add ketchup - add BBQ sauce - add whateveryouwant and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. As long as you're not complaining and/or whining about it - add whatever.

Our pickiest eater is my FIL, actually. I try VERY hard to keep a list of what he will/won't eat, but there've been more than a few times he's been in the kitchen making himself a sandwich while the rest of us eat our dinner. :lol: