Menu

The children in our family WILL NOT eat Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner!

They just.don't.like.ANY.of it.

I know some kids who don't like turkey, or this or that, by neither my kids, nor my sister's kids, will eat traditional Thanksgiving or Christmas food. And some of it is sweet.... like sweet potatoes? Hello? They usually eat anything sweet that we will occasionally allow them, but not one of them will eat candied sweet potatoes/yams.

They don't eat mashed potatoes, they won't touch stuffing, you can forget cranberry sauce, no potato salad, no turkey,........

We don't push them, of course, (more for us) and we offer the few things we can think of that they will eat. My two will eat macaroni and cheese and ham. One of my sister's kids will eat the same, and the other will only eat baked beans and ham.

When we were young, we might have passed on 1 or 2 things, but we thoroughly enjoyed the rest.

The only thing these kids never turn down are my hot dinner rolls! They all want to stuff themselves with those. :D

I know some kids who don't like turkey, or this or that, by neither my kids, nor my sister's kids, will eat traditional Thanksgiving or Christmas food. And some of it is sweet.... like sweet potatoes? Hello? They usually eat anything sweet that we will occasionally allow them, but not one of them will eat candied sweet potatoes/yams.

They don't eat mashed potatoes, they won't touch stuffing, you can forget cranberry sauce, no potato salad, no turkey,........

Well, I don't find sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, potato salad, or turkey appetizing either. If I ate at your house, I would take a helping of mashed potatoes and a small piece of turkey. Then I would wait for dessert. :lol: I expect my kids eat any of that either, especially when they have cousins to play with.

My poor brother suffered with the nickname "Hot Dog" for many years because word was leaked that's what he ate for Thanksgiving dinner. And no, I'm not the one who leaked it--it was my Mom when she was overheard talking to a teacher. Poor guy--this was in late elementary and it followed him forever and he hated it.

So tell the kids to start eating or they might be known as "Hot Dinner Roll" for the rest of their lives ;).

Well, *generally*, I'm of the "you eat what you're served" camp, but then 1) my kids are used to that and while I consider one rather picky, there wouldn't be a whole meal she wouldn't care for unless it consisted entirely of green vegetables, and 2) I would always make sure at a holiday that there were options any guest would enjoy (assuming I know their preferences). Certainly everyone should be able to look forward to the holiday meal knowing there's *some* favorite available...

[ETA: I also wouldn't require that kids taste anything they didn't care for at those couple of meals a year. All those meals day in and day out when I can work on getting them to *taste* the healthy food that isn't necessarily their favorite... On Thanksgiving (or Christmas or Easter), I just don't care if their favorite thing in the world is white bread rolls and that's all they eat. As long as they don't make themselves sick or crash from all the refined carbs, I'm find with it...]

Is it possible that any of your dishes could be tweaked to please them without disappointing your other guests? For instance, maybe baked sweet potatoes instead of candied? Fresh cranberry relish instead of cooked sauce? (If you've never made fresh cranberry relish, it's so easy and heavenly and our whole family prefers it...) Fresh green beans blanched then tossed with butter and lemon juice rather than a gooey casserole?

Or could you simply consult with your SIL and come up with something additional that all of the kids would eat? A baked mac and cheese? Maybe just let them gorge on spiral cut ham and yeast rolls?

I wouldn't change the entire menu if all of the adults are looking forward to their traditional holiday fare, but I would try (assuming it's possible -- you didn't list much that any of the kids *will* eat, but perhaps you were just trying to list what your family considers traditional holiday food?) to have a couple of things the kids will enjoy in addition.

Edited by abbeyej

part of the holidays for us is that they don't have to try anything. mine eat macaroni and cheese, jello salad, rolls, and maybe ham. mom has the same menu every year, and over time the olders are eating more of the "traditional" items. my 3rd dd ate only rolls and jello for a year or two and she's made it to 12 yo!

Do ALL the adults like all the Thanksgiving stuff??? If so - make a smaller turkey, etc. and also a small ham or other dish the kids (and some adults) like - have a few sides that are not sickly sweet yams and nasty cranberry sauce (oops, showing my dislikes here, too.) Have some of the other adults make and bring the sweet taters, sauce, etc.

I am having 13 total here - with food dislikes, true allergies, etc. it is a minor pain* - but there will be enough that everyone, even uber-picky Silly AutismBoy, will be able to fill a plate.

Hubby smoke-grills a turkey. I have relatives bringing: non-egg non-milk pumpkin "pie", sweet taters, salad, an appetizer, another mystery veggie (this is Uncle Tom's forte - one year he did creamed cardoons!).

From Trader Joes (via a food co'op) - we have rolls, smoked salmon, a couple dessert tarts...and two small boxes of turkey gravy!!! (try making THAT when the bird is grilled!!!)

I will make a REAL pumpkin pie, either a pecan or an apple pie, and a small chocolate cake. Also the cranberry sauce (I LIKE making it - fun to see and hear the berries POP open, I just do not eat it), mashed taters, three- layer Jello in festive holiday colors, white rice, steamed broccoli - these last three and the cake are for SABoy but since the cake is egg and milk - free the allergic one can also eat it. Oh, and stuffing - which only I eat!!!!

And at the last minute I whip up cream for the desserts.

* MIL can not have any corn products. Serious life-threatening allergy here.

SIL can not have any eggs or milk.

Hubby, three of my four kids, and two nieces are lactose intolerant. Bring on the Lactaid!

BIL has gout and food limitations.

An Aunt can have no seeds.

Hubby thinks all mushrooms are poisons, and gravy/sauces/salad dressings abominations.

A joy to cook for, these folks! Well, I like a challenge.

Edited by JFSinIL

Well I grew up and the only thing I would eat is turkey and mashed potatoes and corn if it was served. Then, if the mashed potatoes were homemade I probably would not eat them as they had lumps and as a child, I couldn't deal with lumps.

I would not touch sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and most of the typical Thanksgiving desserts. I was in my 20's before I would eat most of those things and now they are my favorites.

Do you have to eat traditional Thanksgiving fare, or can you bake something like lasagna instead? (Along with dinner rolls, of course, lol.)

On the plus side, you'll have lots of great leftovers that you don't have to share!

When it's just us, that's exactly what we do. In fact I made lasagne two years ago for Thanksgiving.

So tell the kids to start eating or they might be known as "Hot Dinner Roll" for the rest of their lives ;).

I don't think Smartypants would mind that one bit. :D

I wouldn't change the entire menu if all of the adults are looking forward to their traditional holiday fare, but I would try (assuming it's possible -- you didn't list much that any of the kids *will* eat, but perhaps you were just trying to list what your family considers traditional holiday food?) to have a couple of things the kids will enjoy in addition.

I am definately open to other dishes to try. My dd doesn't like any kind of poatato dish whatsoever. I tried broccoli casserole (she loves broccoli) and she hated it. I 'm fresh out of ideas.

Do ALL the adults like all the Thanksgiving stuff??? If so - make a smaller turkey, etc. and also a small ham or other dish the kids (and some adults) like - have a few sides that are not sickly sweet yams and nasty cranberry sauce (oops, showing my dislikes here, too.) Have some of the other adults make and bring the sweet taters, sauce, etc.

:lol: Yes. All the adults eat everything except cranberry sauce. I'm the only one who eats that. I love it. I love it all, which is why I'm searching for a treadmill right now. :D

I don't eat the meat (ham or turkey), but I like the sides (and dessert). Will the children not eat something like peas or corn? We always serve a couple of plain sides. My uncle is the worst in that the only "vegetables" he'll eat are potatoes, corn and peas.

I don't like stuffing that has been cooked in the bird. I only like Stove Top with added celery.

Oh, man. That has to be frustrating. I would just try to make sure that there was at least one healthy thing on the menu that the kids will eat. Oh - and about those sweet potatoes? I couldn't stand sweet potatoes until I had them baked whole like a regular baked potato then dressed with butter and cinnamon sugar or as a sweet potato souffle. My family fell in love with this recipe and they ask me to bring it every year.

Sweet Potato Souffle

2 c. sweet potato, boiled and mashed

3/4 c. sugar

2 eggs, well beaten

3/4 c. butter

1/2 c. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients for souffle and pour into baking dish. Combine all topping ingredients and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

TOPPING:

1 c. packed brown sugar

1/3 c. flour

1 c. chopped pecans

1/4 c. melted butter

Combine.

Oh, man. That has to be frustrating. I would just try to make sure that there was at least one healthy thing on the menu that the kids will eat. Oh - and about those sweet potatoes? I couldn't stand sweet potatoes until I had them baked whole like a regular baked potato then dressed with butter and cinnamon sugar or as a sweet potato souffle. My family fell in love with this recipe and they ask me to bring it every year.

Sweet Potato Souffle

3/4 c. sugar

2 eggs, well beaten

3/4 c. butter

1/2 c. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients for souffle and pour into baking dish. Combine all topping ingredients and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

TOPPING:

1 c. packed brown sugar

1/3 c. flour

1 c. chopped pecans

1/4 c. melted butter

Combine.

Stop. Just stop.

Really? Before 9 am, you post what has to be one of the best foods on earth? Really?

:lol::tongue_smilie:

I just casually asked Smartypants what food she likes. She said broccoli, cauliflower, bread, sometime carrots, ham and cheese.

Well, if she loves broccoli and cheese, I can't understand why she hates broccoli casserole???

I love broccoli and I love cheese but cannot stand the two together. Cheese sauce etc on veggies in general tends to gross me out. I tend to not like broccoli casseroles simply because I like my broccoli firm and it tends to get mushy in casseroles.

We also have a full family of picky eaters. I have always made sure that there is at least one thing on the table that I know they like. Then, I don't stress about what they eat on those days. I want everyone to be able to enjoy the holiday and that frees me from nagging them about what they eat and frees them from hearing it for a day. They are usually more interested in playing with their cousins anyway.

I don't eat the meat (ham or turkey), but I like the sides (and dessert). Will the children not eat something like peas or corn? We always serve a couple of plain sides. My uncle is the worst in that the only "vegetables" he'll eat are potatoes, corn and peas.

I don't like stuffing that has been cooked in the bird. I only like Stove Top with added celery.

You may have something there. Smartypants has been a regular corn purchaser at the farmer's market this year. I let her pick out her own ears. She likes peas too... I guess corn and peas just never occurred to me.

My kids went from eating nothing of traditional holiday fare to eating a little bit more as the years go by.

What I've done, as they get older and I *do* expect (sans special needs or sensory issues) children to mature into not soley eating the kids centered food I wish I never introduced (I digress...........) is that they may eat a modest amount of the things they like, politely decline the rest and they can go hungry. What they *can't* do is fill up on the rolls, jello, whatever and take from what should be shared servings for all guests.

I would not do this with 3 year olds, but I do so with school age and up.

I have nieces who were so picky when they were young that many family dinners included hot dogs just for them. Don't sweat it; just get them fed. They'll probably come around eventually. Aren't those occasion really supposed to be about family fellowship ... the food is just the seasonal environment ...

:grouphug:

Karen

I was and still am to a certain extent a picky eater. If I won't eat it, then I don't make the kids try it, but they can choose to if they'd like. We don't bother with cranberry dressing or casseroles. Our sweet potatoes generally just have butter on them because I try to keep the amount of sugar to a minimum. (after all there's enough sugar in the desserts).

In general, we are also one of those you have to eat what's on your plate people. When the kids were younger, they had to eat a small piece of turkey (2-3 bites) at Thanksgiving before they could have the rolls. At Christmas, there's usually both turkey and ham, so they can pick. They also have to pick at least one healthy side dish. In addition to potatoes, we usually have corn and green beans as a choice. Basically, they have to have eaten some meat, one vegetable, and some bread before they can have dessert. At home, they are stuck with whatever I put on their plate. At Christmas and Thanksgiving, they at least have some options to pick from.

We eat turkey in some form about every week, so my kids are used to it. Same with regular potatoes and sweet potatoes. (We generally avoid mashed potatoes because of the milk, but my MIL always make them when we eat at her house.)

My kids don't like the traditional holiday foods, either.

Which is why we always either put out (if we're at our house) or volunteer to bring (if we're at relatives) hors d'oeuvres.

Cheese, sausage, crackers, veggies and dip, a fruit plate....

the kids fill up on that - and I don't worry if they just 'pick at' their meals, because I know they've had at least some healthy food.

My son doesn't like turkey, my daughter doesn't like stuffing (they don't HATE them, just not like them). I give them both about a small spoonful of the item they don't like when I make their plates and then announce that everyone must clean their plate to get dessert.

I know they both HATE cranberry sauce (as do I) and don't expect them to eat that.

Since they don't truly detest these foods, it works for us.

I never quite got picky eaters. In our house food was served and everyone ate. Now there were a few food items that someone did not like such a onions or ricotta cheese but I don't think we ever thought there would be options. So to have my bil come into the family and verbalize his dislike for vegetables, potatoes, rice etc and see my sister bring mac and cheese just for him at family dinners was odd.

O about those sweet potatoes? I couldn't stand sweet potatoes until I had them baked whole like a regular baked potato then dressed with butter and cinnamon sugar

:iagree:

I always thought I hated, hated, hated yams. Then I discovered as an adult that it's just the nasty candied yams with marshmallows dish I hate. Baked sweet potatoes with a bit of Smart Balance and a sprinkling of brown sugar & cinnamon is now one of my favorite veggie sides!

I just casually asked Smartypants what food she likes. She said broccoli, cauliflower, bread, sometime carrots, ham and cheese.

Well, if she loves broccoli and cheese, I can't understand why she hates broccoli casserole???

It would be hard to put broccoli into a casserole without seriously overcooking it. That changes the texture and flavor dramatically. It goes from crisp and even a little sweet (lightly steamed) to mushy and bitter.

Mine prefer their broccoli raw.

I love broccoli and I love cheese but cannot stand the two together. Cheese sauce etc on veggies in general tends to gross me out. I tend to not like broccoli casseroles simply because I like my broccoli firm and it tends to get mushy in casseroles.

It would be hard to put broccoli into a casserole without seriously overcooking it. That changes the texture and flavor dramatically. It goes from crisp and even a little sweet (lightly steamed) to mushy and bitter.

Mine prefer their broccoli raw.

OK.

She does prefer them raw or only slightly cooked. I normally steam my vegetables very lightly, so she must not care for the mushy texture in the broccoli casserole.

Sweet Potato Souffle

3/4 c. sugar

2 eggs, well beaten

3/4 c. butter

1/2 c. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. cinnamon

TOPPING:

1 c. packed brown sugar

1/3 c. flour

1 c. chopped pecans

1/4 c. melted butter

Combine.

Thank you. I'm going to give this a try.

You know, I have two children that absoltely love broccoli, rice and cheese but hate broccoli, cheese and rice cassarole? :confused:

I like broccoli. And I LOVE numerous cheeses. But I think broccoli and cheese casserole is one of the most repulsive things on Earth.

My husband thought he hated sweet potatoes because he had only had the marshmallow stuff or in pie. He *loves* sweet potatoes peeled, cubed, tossed with olive oil, garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary then roasted. He will also now bake them and dress them like baked potatoes (butter, salt and pepper).

I second (or is it third or higher) doing a raw veggie plate with dip as an option. It's a very normal appetizer for holidays, so wouldn't look out of place.

You know, I have two children that absoltely love broccoli, rice and cheese but hate broccoli, cheese and rice cassarole? :confused:

And I love broccoli/cheese/rice casserole but have only recently been able to train myself to eat plain broccoli, either raw or cooked. It's like lima beans---I can eat them in vegetable soup, but not anything else.

:lol:

The hot dog stuff has me ROFL because my DS always have to have a hot dog for Thanksgiving and Christmas. He will not eat turkey or ham. He has discovered this year that he likes steak, so I may ask my dad to grill a steak for him.

My girls won't eat turkey or ham either, but they'll eat the sides. DS won't eat any of the sides, except mac and cheese (and only Kraft original blue box mac and cheese :glare:).

I think I'm going to try to sweet potato souflee recipe. That sounds really good. :001_smile:

I married a man who dislikes some of my main food dislikes and so we don;t have all traditional foods at holidays. None of us eat sweet potatoes traditionally cooked, broccoli casseroles, any other vegetable casseroles, mayonaisse, or pumpkin pie. We all like turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, many vegetables not in casseroles, salads with no mayonaise, and apple pie.

I have a *really* bad memory of being forced to eat a nasty sweet potato casserole when I was 5.

Anyway, I do make my kids eat some of Thanksgiving dinner. My younger son likes everything. My older son is largely a vegetarian. He detests mashed potatoes (I mean, they literally gag him--I *NEVER* make him eat them.). I still find plenty for him to eat on Thanksgiving.

I actually love Thanksgiving dinner. . turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy, pie. YUM! (Well, with the exception of lumpy sweet potato casserole!)

I don';t consider that an issue, since it leaves more those of us who cannot eat enough stuffing etc. lol

My kids love everything now, but when they were little, I had one who made a meal of condiments: olives and pickles. I made sure he got some protein, but that's it. He ate the rolls, the ice cream during the day. Now, he's 21 and loves every. single. thing.

My middle children were carb babies-- mashed potatoes & stuffing. Today they were asking, "Is Auntie Charl going to bring her mashed carrots & turnips?"

My youngest lived on cheese and whole wheat bread for a couple of years, but now partakes in pretty much everything offered, even if just a bit of each.

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned.

My husband thought he hated sweet potatoes because he had only had the marshmallow stuff or in pie. He *loves* sweet potatoes peeled, cubed, tossed with olive oil, garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary then roasted. He will also now bake them and dress them like baked potatoes (butter, salt and pepper).

My mom is like this with a lot of veggies. I think it's because, growing up, they were only given veggies out of a can. Most veggies out of a can taste gross. Then they were boiled too long or otherwise ill prepared, making one think that veggies are gross.

Now that I only buy her fresh veggies, mostly homegrown from my garden, she's learned that she loves brussels sprouts, asparagus, and other vegetables.