How much healthcare debt do you have  

1. 1. How much healthcare debt do you have

• $0-$500
    • $501-$2000
    • $2001-$5000
    • $5001-$10,000
    • $10,001+

I want to clarify how that happened...

When dh and I were preggy with our first dc, we were made to believe that we had to pay up front. We were somewhat "forced" into paying prenatal care with the cc. Then we had another baby that we kept up with payments, but that winter found ourselves short on grocery money. Put groceries on the cc. Then in 2007 we had a baby that was hospitalized for RSV, dh took off work to stay home with our other children, baby was an emergency c/s dh took off to stay home with me, and we again found ourselves short on funds and put groceries on the cc.

In Jan. our last baby was born and ended up in NICU for 4 days and the hospital for another 5 days. Dh took off a lot of work during her first 4 mos to help with dr appts. We were already struggling and used cc to help feed our children and get some necessary equipment to help her develop that our ins didn't cover. So, now we have quite a bit of cc debt and are struggling still.

We have faith in God to help us through, as we believe that he has paved this road for us in order to bring us closer to him. But, I am wondering how many may be in the same situation as us because of health care costs. We are still paying off our baby's deductibles and co-ins.

We have been working Dave Ramsey's program for 22 months and all we have left is Dh's truck and the credit card we used for the autism testing and ST and OT for Austin and Reece. That was incurred 4+ years ago and we have been diligently paying it down since. Our insurance, through dh's work at a small family-owned business, does not cover any therapy except for injury or stroke. They covered ST testing, but not the developmental pediatrician or the OT evaluations. It was all very worth it, especially the OT. But it's amazing how quickly it adds up. At the time, it was well over $10,000. There is right around $6,000 left.

They did cover the ER visit, EEG, and MRI (at our deductible/coinsurance rates) when Austin began having seizures last year plus his daily medication, and I'm thankful for that.

God willing, we will have this debt paid off sometime next summer.

None, other than we are making payments on dd orthodontics treatment but that is not on a credit card and I don't even think of it as a debt. It is more like I am paying as we go though we are paying monthly. It will be done very soon. Otherwise, we are active duty military and choose to go with the plan with the most choice so we pay a maximum of 1000 a year for the whole family for any medical, pharmaceutical, psychological or eye problems. Dental is separate and isn't anywhere as good as most private insurances. That has been costing more than a 1000 a year for I think every year we have lived in the states.

We carry a running balance of about $2000. We make payments every month, but we also incur debt every month on our children's medical treatments. It's kinda a revolving door. In addition to our insurance premiums, we just have an ongoing medical payment. The hospital doesn't even contact us anymore to make a payment plan on new costs. They just lump it on the bill we have and we keep making our payments.

Tara

We are about $50 away from paying off the cardiologist's bill after a scare with dh last year (turned out to be anxiety :glare: ). We set-up a payment plan with the MDs office. Easy peasy. We have health insurance, but it is a high deductible, so we pay out of pocket for most "non-emergencies". I was happy to learn that a cash-only med office just opened up in town and I have heard wonderful things about the doc there. We're going to go check him out.

We have none, but not for lack of trying. We have been very blessed to have health insurance through all of our major medical needs. Without insurance, my ds would be the million dollar kid.
I, too, am very thankful for our insurance! There were complications with each of the childrens births, and other things since, but we only had minute amounts to pay that insurance didn't cover.

Otherwise, we use one cc to buy most of our things. It gives a %age back. We only charge as much as we can pay off each month, so we don't have constant interest payment. We feel very blessed, as we know things could change in a moment if anything happened to dh!

We have always had good insurance. I had better insurance when I was working, but DH's now isn't too bad. I think it is $1K max payment for major medical and my son needed surgeries so one year we did pay the $1K for him but we had the cash to pay it.

Dawn

We have insurance, but almost always have some health-related debt bec. our co-insurance and co-pays are pretty high. Dh and I both have manageable, but chronic medical conditions, so it adds up bec. of hospital tests, etc. Plus, we just had a baby, so there's the bill for the birth. That will take a while to pay off. Our out-of-pocket prescription costs add up, but we're able to cover those.

We make a payment plan with the hospital to pay off the higher bills, no interest. A few years ago ds needed therapies and we had to pay a high percentage out-of-pocket. That had to go on a cc.

It's very easy to see how an unexpected medical event could sink a person, even one with insurance.

Our insurance, through dh's work at a small family-owned business, does not cover any therapy except for injury or stroke.

I have Kaiser and I'm amazed at how insufficient our coverage is of things like this. The evaluation they did for my son with Asperger's was pitiful. They asked me to fill out a questionaire, talked to my son for about 30 mins. and diagnosed him. Fortunately, I had already determined the same thing through a suggestion from my pediatrician and lots of reading! I think the counselor just ran with the word when I mentioned it. They don't have any other care for him though. I got a blank look when I asked for OT.

So frustrating! We have no insurance-cannot afford it and husband technically works part-time so he can have time to rebuild our home that burned. We do not qualify for medicaid now since they changed the program here in Missouri a few years ago. So a couple of years ago, hubby has a major kidney stone episode and goes to ER. 5 minute CAT scan costs $4,000! They didn't even analyze the stone but total came to about $5,000 and the hospital said we were not indigent enough for their chairty prograam. It went to a creditor for awhile-until they began charging 10% interest, so I paid it off with a low-interest cc.

I was finally able to get the total down on that credit card to under $3,000, and the other day, hubby has another bad kidney stone incident while on the road (truck driver) and goes to the ER again. I have tried telling him he'd probably live if he didn't, but apparently he doesn't agree. (I've passed kidney stones, too, but never went to ER.) Still waiting on that bill and hoping their charity is more generous.

This spring I tumbled onto our hearth and gave myself a concussion. We went to ER when I just didn't think I could remain concious any longer, but after arriving, $5,000 on cc starting coming to mind and I suddenly got "better" and we left. On the bright side, it actually improved my sleep for 3 days-I slept soundly for several hours and was sorry to get better!;)

That is life for the poor uninsured. Now you can probably guess why I wish all the naysayers on health reform could walk in our shoes. Thank God for MC+ coverage for the kids. But I haven't been to the dentist in over 3 years and a recent knee injury had to be lived with through gritted teeth.

There is no option for us. It's either suffer or suffer.

Lakota

We had in excess of 6 figures. Yes, we were insured, but insurance payout can be denied at any point in the process and the bills are ultimately your responsibility. What did it cost us....our house. What will it cost us...our citizenship. We had to leave the US to get universal coverage.

Something has to change. I would start with the cost shifting that occurs in the US. I need an annual CAT scan to check on an internal tumor. It has to be done with contrast agents. In the US, I paid upward of $15,000 out of pocket. Here the total bill, between me and the government insurance is about 1000 euros. The same exam....the same piece of equipment... We need to address the proverbial $135 dose of Tylenol!

We owe $766, which will be paid in two more payments of $383. Ben jumped out of a tree a few weeks ago and hit his head. The emergency room, medical transport (from one hospital to another), two doctors from two different hospitals, CAT scan, etc. cost a little over $2,000 (after insurance reduced the charge according to their agreement). We paid everything but the $1,150 bill when billed, and I asked to pay the largest bill over three months.

$0, live in U.S. We started putting $ away for braces when first dc was just 6yo (just paid $8000 for 3dc in cash - yeah!), put about $400/mo aside for copays/deductible/OOP expenses. We do have health insurance yet rarely go to the doctor.

Good idea! We need to start putting away for Nathan's braces.

We had in excess of 6 figures. Yes, we were insured, but insurance payout can be denied at any point in the process and the bills are ultimately your responsibility.

Can you explain this? Did the company go under? Was it something they don't cover? I don't understand.

$none. We have universal health care in Australia. Taking the kids to the doctor during office hours is free, ER is free and if the kids need to go to hospital, that is free too.

We pay for private insurance which gives us the ability to access doctors and hospitals of our choice and partially covers the cost of things like speech therapy and braces for the kids' teeth and dental for my husband and I. The kids can see the school dentist but I take them to our private dentist too.

Children's therapies are free too if you qualify based on need and income and don't mind waiting.

Just don't ask how much tax we pay!!

$0. We are lucky to have good insurance. I miss our even better insurance that we had in a previous state, but what we have now is very good, too. We have a $15 co-pay on dr's visits and a $50 co-pay on e.r. visits and that is it. All of my medical bills from pregnancy and birth were covered (high risk and expensive) for which I am very grateful!

Edited by chaik76

$none. We have universal health care in Australia. Taking the kids to the doctor during office hours is free, ER is free and if the kids need to go to hospital, that is free too.

We pay for private insurance which gives us the ability to access doctors and hospitals of our choice and partially covers the cost of things like speech therapy and braces for the kids' teeth and dental for my husband and I. The kids can see the school dentist but I take them to our private dentist too.

Children's therapies are free too if you qualify based on need and income and don't mind waiting.

Just don't ask how much tax we pay!!

Well then don't ask me how much was being taken out of paycheck for the insurance that still left us with a bill that took us 3 years to pay off!

Today we are fortunate to have excellent insurance. It was previously paid by the union. When dh got laid off, we switched to COBRA and qualified for 65% of the premium to be paid by the government. The other 35% is being paid by the union. Next November, we'll have to find another option.

I won't ask, but I will tell you that last year, we paid more than 50% of our income just for health insurance premiums, deductibles, and copays. That doesn't include taxes.

I knew healthcare in the US was expensive but I had no idea a family could have to pay that much. Since I mentioned it, our private health insurance premium is $230 per month and the compulsory medicare levy is 1.5% of my husband's taxable income.

Here are the Australian income tax rates:

Tax rates 2008-09

Taxable income

Tax on this income

$1 – $6,000

Nil

$6,001 – $34,000

15c for each $1 over $6,000

$34,001 – $80,000

$4,200 plus 30c for each $1 over $34,000

$80,001 – $180,000

$18,000 plus 40c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 and over

$58,000 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

I always thought Australians paid higher income taxes than Americans. I'm off to search the web and find out for sure.

I knew healthcare in the US was expensive but I had no idea a family could have to pay that much.

All Americans don't pay 50% of their income on health costs. We pay $400 a month for a family of 5 and have a $5,000 deductible. The most we can pay is about $10,000 in a year. Once we hit the $5,000 deductible, we pay nothing.

We had a series of dental issues coupled with skin cancer surgery and other major household expenses (new ac/heating unit, car repairs, etc.) so we are at about $4000 on our cc. We have always paid off our cc in full, but we are not sure what to do when this bill comes in since our emergency fund has been depleted and bank account is near empty. I hate to carry a cc balance for the first time in my life, but I'm not sure what else to do... any suggestions?

None. Thank God. We have good insurance and we keep a medical fund for emergencies. When dh had his surgery last year, we got the bill in the mail and I called and got the 20% pay in full reduction before making the payment. I am not sure if all hospitals do that. They don't really broadcast it, but if you call and tell them you are paying in full here, they will cut your bill by 20% - even if your bill is only $50 (as long as it is a hospital related bill). :)

I always thought Australians paid higher income taxes than Americans. I'm off to search the web and find out for sure.

We are in the 15% federal tax bracket. That does not include Social Security or Medicare (gov't insurance for older people) taxes. Nor does it include state and local taxes/sales tax.

Tara

Ok, here is how it works for us....

Our policy right now cost $12,000 a year. Our income is $50,000. We are self employed. Our state and federal taxes are $6700. Our deductible is $3000 for two people--under that and we pay 100% for all, If all 8 of us have just $2999 then we pay 100% for each adding up to just under $24,000, then co ins works the same way. another possible $24,000. We are left with an income of -$16,700.

Why do I feel like we will never be in the green again. Because of how our state figures your income for state healthcare for our children, we don't qualify. They figure it by the last 3 mos. My dh makes most of his money during the summer, during the winter we have business expenses. WE don't qualify. :001_huh:

So, we do what? Move? File bankruptcy? Sale out? I quit homeschooling? I work the 10-6 shift and homeschool and don't sleep?

I don't know, I can say I would rather deal with this, then the current health reform bill. I believe there is a high need for health reform, but there are other ways to go about it. ;) Please do not open this thread to debate on that. :D

We have about $1500 in health-care debt - not exactly sure since we still have bills coming in from dd10's recent appendectomy (9/9/09). We do have health insurance - this year's is better than last year's. I spent three days in the hospital last year and our insurance left us with about $2000 out of pocket. Compared to the actual bill that is not a lot, but it's a lot for us. We switched to a different insurance company last time there was "open season" for federal workers (dh is a letter carrier) and I noticed a significant decrease in out of pocket costs. Dd's hospital stay in September (3 days) cost just over $18,000 - our portion will be $100. I'm very, very thankful for health insurance - especially since we changed companies.

We are retired military but we still have issues with our insurance.

Here is the breakdown on medical debt that we have:

Oldest child- still owe $2,500 on his nicu bill from 2003, insurance denied coverage of the doctor since he was not on our plan

twins- still owe $33,000, this stems again from denial of the nicu doctor, we went to the only nicu approved by our insurance but the doctor was not an approved doctor, this also includes a three week hospital bill for rsv that supposedly should have cost us only a $100 co-pay but they received experimental treatment so all coverage of the stay was denied, total debt for the twins ran $79,000

dental work- still working trying to get insurance to cover claims as they are denying everything right now about 5 times before covering anything but we owe about $8,000, part of that bill is for a surgery done to fix a broken jaw that is being denied becuase it suppsoedly was a pre-existing condition in a 4 year old that part of the bill is $5000.

For this we pay out $350 a month in insurance premiums. We are suppose to have $10 copays, full coverage on most tests, 10% cost for hospitilzations. However it appears if a doctor is covered the hospital they work for is not, if a hospital is covered no doctors that work there are covered. We are responsible for 100% of the bill if they are not covered. Pretty tricky if you ask me.

We are retired military but we still have issues with our insurance.

Here is the breakdown on medical debt that we have:

Oldest child- still owe $2,500 on his nicu bill from 2003, insurance denied coverage of the doctor since he was not on our plan

twins- still owe $33,000, this stems again from denial of the nicu doctor, we went to the only nicu approved by our insurance but the doctor was not an approved doctor, this also includes a three week hospital bill for rsv that supposedly should have cost us only a $100 co-pay but they received experimental treatment so all coverage of the stay was denied, total debt for the twins ran $79,000

dental work- still working trying to get insurance to cover claims as they are denying everything right now about 5 times before covering anything but we owe about $8,000, part of that bill is for a surgery done to fix a broken jaw that is being denied becuase it suppsoedly was a pre-existing condition in a 4 year old that part of the bill is $5000.

For this we pay out $350 a month in insurance premiums. We are suppose to have $10 copays, full coverage on most tests, 10% cost for hospitilzations. However it appears if a doctor is covered the hospital they work for is not, if a hospital is covered no doctors that work there are covered. We are responsible for 100% of the bill if they are not covered. Pretty tricky if you ask me.

:confused:

I am speechless.