Menu

What do you do with the ends of your bread???

I know...stupid question....BUT, My kids do not eat the ends and i end up collecting them throughout the week...only to toss them on the weekend. I just don't have the heart to throw it out...it is good food...BUT they don't like bread pudding...any other great ideas for bread ends??

Thanks,

Faithe

Guest Virginia Dawn

I have the same kids, lol. I tear the bread into pieces and bake it on low heat in the oven till it is dry throughout. Then I store it in an airtight container. I crush the bread pieces with with a rolling pin to make dry bread crumbs for recipes like meatballs and meatloaf. I also use it to make the seasoned coating mix from HillyBilly Housewife's web site.

Other options are making croutons or stuffing with it.

Feed them to the birds and consider it a mini-lesson in nature studies. Well, not really--but sort of. It's nice for the kids to get out in the yard and feed the birds and check out the (huge!) holes the chipmunks and groundhogs are digging in my yard.

Problem is...I don't eat bread because of insulin issues...i have to stay low carb...

This has to be for the kids...

Faithe

That's too bad. Because my son, breathing down my neck -- oops! I mean, reading over my shoulder -- said, "FEED IT TO YOUR HUSBAND!" when he saw your question. Because, yes, that is what happens here. My husband eats the ends. He grew up in a poor household and can't stand to see food go to waste.

Sure. This was taken from Ocean Aveneue Seafood in Santa Monica, CA.

Warm Chocolate Bread Pudding

Total time: 1 1/2 hours, plus drying time for the bread

Servings: 6 to 8

1 (1-pound) 1-inch bread cubes (about 10 cups)

6 1/2 ounces dark chocolate

2 3/4 cups heavy cream

3/4 cup whole milk

1 2/3 cups sugar

1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

10 egg yolks

Butter for greasing the loaf pan

Whipped cream, for garnish

1. Set the bread cubes on a large baking sheet overnight to dry out. Alternatively, toast them in a 200-degree oven for 30 minutes, then cool to room temperature.

2. Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally. When the chocolate is melted, remove from heat and set aside.

3. In a large saucepan, whisk together the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla bean (scraped seeds and pod). Bring the mixture to a strong simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and discard the vanilla pod.

4. Whisk the eggyolks in a large bowl. Slowly add the hot cream mixture to the yolks, whisking, to temper the yolks and form a custard base. After the cream mixture is fully incorporated, whisk in the melted chocolate.

5. Toss the breadcubes with the custard base to fully coat. Set the mixture aside for 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes or so, to allow the cubes to soak in the custard. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375 degrees.

6. Grease a large (9-inch by 5-inch) loaf pan with butter. Gently press the bread and custard mixture into the pan. You might have a little custard or bread or both that will not fit into the loaf pan; discard any leftovers. Loosely cover the pan with foil (butter the underside of the foil so the bread mixture does not stick to it).

7. Place the loaf pan in a larger baking pan, and fill baking pan with hot water to cover the sides of the loaf pan by two-thirds.

8. Place the bakingpan in the oven and bake until the custard is set, about 45 minutes. Serve the bread pudding warm, or cool and reheat before serving. The restaurant cools and slices the bread pudding, then rewarms the slices before serving.

9. Serve the pudding with whipped cream.

Breadcrumbs. Since I grind my own organic flour and bake my own bread, I just can't throw this stuff out. I haven't bought bread crumbs in years. I can't believe my mom used to buy them!

:iagree: I try to save enough for breadcrumbs from my bread, but my dh actually prefers the ends for his sandwiches.

Yikes! Am I the only mean mom who makes her family eat the ends? None of us prefers them, so we take turns...including me. I use JoAnn's idea of turning the "butt" end in, but my kids like to spread their mayo on the cut side, so they keep the cut end in.

I used to try to save them for bread crumbs, but we can only eat so many of those. I also think the ends taste better toasted, so I try to use it up that way, too. But we eat about 80% of them on our sandwiches!

I have the same kids, lol.

In my house, dd will FIGHT for the heel of the bread! Of course, as an only child, she's got no one with whom to fight, but we all save the ends for her--- she LOVES sandwiches made from two heels! Or Heel toast..... really, odd child, but yeah...she's a heel-lover!

astrid

2 3/4 cups heavy cream

3/4 cup whole milk

1 2/3 cups sugar

10 egg yolks

1. Set the bread cubes on a large baking sheet overnight to dry out. Alternatively, toast them in a 200-degree oven for 30 minutes, then cool to room temperature.

2. Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally. When the chocolate is melted, remove from heat and set aside.

3. In a large saucepan, whisk together the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla bean (scraped seeds and pod). Bring the mixture to a strong simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and discard the vanilla pod.

4. Whisk the eggyolks in a large bowl. Slowly add the hot cream mixture to the yolks, whisking, to temper the yolks and form a custard base. After the cream mixture is fully incorporated, whisk in the melted chocolate.

5. Toss the breadcubes with the custard base to fully coat. Set the mixture aside for 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes or so, to allow the cubes to soak in the custard. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375 degrees.

6. Grease a large (9-inch by 5-inch) loaf pan with butter. Gently press the bread and custard mixture into the pan. You might have a little custard or bread or both that will not fit into the loaf pan; discard any leftovers. Loosely cover the pan with foil (butter the underside of the foil so the bread mixture does not stick to it).

7. Place the loaf pan in a larger baking pan, and fill baking pan with hot water to cover the sides of the loaf pan by two-thirds.

8. Place the bakingpan in the oven and bake until the custard is set, about 45 minutes. Serve the bread pudding warm, or cool and reheat before serving. The restaurant cools and slices the bread pudding, then rewarms the slices before serving.

OH YUMMMMM!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

I know...stupid question....BUT, My kids do not eat the ends and i end up collecting them throughout the week...only to toss them on the weekend. I just don't have the heart to throw it out...it is good food...BUT they don't like bread pudding...any other great ideas for bread ends??

Thanks,

Faithe

Put in the food processor to make bread crumbs, then freeze if I'm not going to use them right away. Or, cube and season, then bake to make croutons.

That's too bad. Because my son, breathing down my neck -- oops! I mean, reading over my shoulder -- said, "FEED IT TO YOUR HUSBAND!" when he saw your question. Because, yes, that is what happens here. My husband eats the ends. He grew up in a poor household and can't stand to see food go to waste.

ahahahaha!!! Love them kids...Just feed it to Dad...hmmmm...might work.

~~Faithe

Breadcrumbs. Since I grind my own organic flour and bake my own bread, I just can't throw this stuff out. I haven't bought bread crumbs in years. I can't believe my mom used to buy them!

Ok you are killing me with the homemade organic stuff. A person can only covet and envy so much before exploding. How much does it cost to buy grain and the grinder thing and what kind? Help a city who wants to be free range girl out:D

2 3/4 cups heavy cream

3/4 cup whole milk

1 2/3 cups sugar

10 egg yolks

Thanks a lot. I just gained 5lbs reading your post.:glare: