Menu

Naming kids with a theme (same 1st letter, biblical, etc)

Tap

Here is the question: If you started naming kids in a theme, either accidentally or on purpose, did you stop at some point or just keep going?

Our story (you can skip this part if you want to):

Ds15's name starts with a K

dd10's name starts with a Ch, but phonetically is a 'K' sound.

It wasn't on purpose and it wasn't until people started asking if we did it on purpose that I even noticed it.

Ffwd 8 years, when we adopted dd2 we changed her name. Dh wanted to purposefully give her a 'K' sounding name so she 'wouldn't be left out'. We decided to give her a family name. We named her after a great aunt who adopted my grandmother, orphaned at 2yo when my great-grand parents died. It was a way to honor my aunt, but also pays homage to our relationship, as I am my 2yo's bio-aunt. It is a great name for her, fitting her personality well.

We recently found out that our 2yo's birth mom may be pregnant again. It could be a rumor, we don't know if it is true or not. I doubt that the state would let her keep another child, so we may be getting a call soon asking if we want another baby. Dh says no way, no more babies....but I am not certain if we could turn him/her away. If we do adopt this one too, I am wondering....do I really want another 'K' sounding name? I would hate to leave a new child out. There are times already though that when calling for the 3 together, it already kinda drives me nuts. :0)

Here is the question: If you started naming kids in a theme, either accidentally or on purpose, did you stop at some point or just keep going?

If we were to have a #5 (which we do not plan to, but stranger things have happened), we would probably consider dropping our theme. However, our theme is actually a non-theme, so we would be the only ones to notice it!

Each of our kids' names has a different first letter, and they all end differently. All of them have the same number of syllables, but that was mostly a coincidence. Those things combined make additional name searching quite difficult!

As the first of 3 C names (unintentional for the first 2, but my parents didn't want the third left out), I really didn't want an obvious theme for my kids.

In a huge family-the Duggars, for instance- I do think it would be kind of mean to suddenly change things up!

I would continue b/c if you don't, that child will wonder why they were treated differently or why are they the odd man out. If htis is an adoption... it is even more important to keep up a pattern.

My parents used family names for my brothers... but I was named after a friend & some celebrity.... I always wondered why didn't I get a family name. Now, with my kids, we are using the famly name and are being consistent b/c I felt like the odd man out in name assignments. Small issue in the world... but man, why me?;)

JMO, but you do NOT need to keep up the trend. Just like the Duggars. There was no reason they couldn't have changed it anywhere along the line. People probably would say something but they already do. I don't know about changing it at #19 though.

Seriously? Name the kid whatever you want. If you like a certain /k/ name, go for it but it isn't a must. They aren't going to feel left out. What you say and do every day matters more than having the /k/.

As for me...I did inadvertantly name both my first two children K names. Even had Kirsten lived, I wouldn't feel it necessary to name the next girl a K name (in fact, we've had the name Victoria Evelyn picked out for the next girl for the past 13-14 years). I really hadn't noticed the trend. I simply had put off using Kirsten the first time around and was determined to the second.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Somewhat accidental at first. My first son's name is Levi Jefferson. Levi is a family name and a biblical name. Jefferson is presidential. My second son's name is Luke Monroe. I didn't try to find a name starting with L (just happened to like Luke), but thought it only fair to give him biblical, family, and presidential names as well (Monroe is a family name). Then I started to panic. I never, ever imagined myself with more than 2 boys (if that), and I realized I had set a very hard-to-follow precedent. :) (The girls names I had picked out didn't follow the 'theme'.) If we had planned on a few more kids, I would have broken tradition with the next guy, but I was pretty sure he'd be our last and figured it would be unfair to leave him out. His name is Leif Benjamin (Benjamin doing triple duty, Leif being the 4-letter L name :) ).

Not exactly a theme....more like a method LOL.

We picked Paisley Rain for our first DD.

For our second DD, we wanted to stick with a unique two syllable first name, followed by a four letter "naturish" middle name that was one syllable. So DD#2 is Sailor Skye.

I'd like to stick with that method for future children as well. However, I cant seem to think of many one syllable, four letter "naturish" middle names for boys if we ever had one.

My twins were supposed to be Patrick and Joseph...then a few days before they came (9 days late!!!) hubby decided he really didn't care for Patrick...and John, a family name on both sides, was the only name we could agree on. I had already insisted on Fisher and Francis as middle names (my maiden name and hubby's name) so the twins have the same initials, too. Not on purpose!!!

The next baby was a girl...and the only girl name we could agree on was...Jean. So by baby #4 , girl or boy, I felt it needed to be a J name so the kid wouldn't feel left out. Jaclyn is glad she wasn't James.

I am a J, too - so everyone assumes it was all done on purpose. Nope.

PS - I have drilled into the kids for years that somebody better give me a grandson named Patrick!

We recently found out that our 2yo's birth mom may be pregnant again. It could be a rumor, we don't know if it is true or not. I doubt that the state would let her keep another child, so we may be getting a call soon asking if we want another baby. Dh says no way, no more babies....but I am not certain if we could turn him/her away. If we do adopt this one too, I am wondering....do I really want another 'K' sounding name? I would hate to leave a new child out. There are times already though that when calling for the 3 together, it already kinda drives me nuts. :0)

I do think it's important for the child to feel they're included in the pattern, especially an adopted child. Some options would be:

(1) use a "C" name, regardless of how it was pronounced, so you would have 2 "C" names and 2 "K" names;

(2) use a K name for the first name, but call the child by the middle name (which could be a family name);

(3) use a K name, but call the child by a nickname that doesn't start with a K sound.

If the mom really is pregnant again, I hope your DH relents, so the child can grow up with his/her sibling and cousins. I wonder how the child would feel, knowing that their aunt & uncle took in their sibling, but refused to take them ~ would they feel twice as rejected? What a sad situation. :(

Jackie

Guest janainaz

I wanted biblical names and both my kids names end with "ah". But I chose those names because of the meanings. If I were to have another child, I have names picked out for a boy or girl that are biblical and end in "ah", but still picked out for the meanings.

We have a weird thing that happened accidentally:

The first two letters of dd1's name are SA

The first two letters of dd2's name are AL

The first two letters of dd3's name are LI

When expecting #4 someone asked me if I was choosing a name that started with the previous child's second letter on purpose. Dh & I would have never noticed. We briefly considered choosing an "I" name for the baby but he is our only boy (so far) and we couldn't agree on an "I" name so we broke the unintentional pattern.

We have a cousin who has different patterns for the girls and boys in the family. The girls are all "M" names; Mimi, Maude, Morgan & Mickie, and the boys are....well....the boys are Happy & Rowdy.

I was had a roommate whose name was Mondee and, yes, she had 6 siblings named Tuesdee, Wednesdee, Thursdee, and so on. I think you can take the pattern thing too far. :001_smile:

Amber in SJ

All of our dc's first names have an "r" in them. This began unintentionally. I think we noticed it after number 3 or 4. It must have been after 4 because the girl's name we had picked for him did not have an "r" in it. My dh's name starts with an "r" and he really wanted a "Jr." but since I really can't stand that, this is what he gets LOL.

It's funny though, because my first name does not have an "r."

We also have used all 3 archangels' names as either first names or middle names.

We have Benjamin and Rebecca as our first two. We ended up calling them Ben and Becca and everyone thought we had done the "B" thing on purpose. When it came to number 3, we almost named him "Robert" after my fil, but then I realized that we would have the three "b" nicknames (Bobby) and that I'd better think hard about more "b" names if we were going to do that and I honestly couldn't come up with anymore names that either started with "b" or had "b" nicknames that we liked. So with number three, we continued with the unintentional theme of Old Testament names and I'm very glad we ended the "b" thing there because with five more kids to come (who knew at that time?) it would have driven me crazy.

So now we're known as the family with some really weird O.T. names - LOL. I don't think I could break the tradition now because I would worry that the youngest would feel left out.

We have 4 J's. Not on purpose with the 1st 2. Then number 3 came along and thinking that he was for sure the last, we did another J as everyone said he would feel left out. Well then surprise.....here comes #4. We debated and debated and were going to go with Alison and when I went to order her personalized diaper bag I just couldn't do it......so we ended up with J #4. They all have family middle names that are in no way the same.......We have Harper, Howard, Ann and Gwen for middle names. If we ever had a number 5........not trying in ANY way, but it would be a J too I am sure.

Not exactly naming with a theme, but some strange happenstance:

My oldest is named after something in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Quite accidentally, her first name and middle initial together sound rather like a state name (not Indiana :tongue_smilie:). My younger's monogram is GIN (just happened) and the first initials of the girls are G&T. I'm not even partial to G&T's, but there you are.

There's a pattern, but not one anyone would really know unless told.

First of all, the meaning of the name will make or break it for me.

Then, both my boys have 2 names. Both my girls have 3.

Only Diva is named after anyone. There was a 6 or 7 generation tradition that each dd had one dd, and gave their dd their name as a middle name. I did that, and added my best friend's name. Boy was my mother furious. *shrug*

Tazzie was named after Wolf's clan for a middle name. 'Wolf' is a nickname online for dh, but its the clan he was named to by a Shaman. So, our son's middle name actually is Wolf.

Our next child, if God so blesses us with a son, will be named after my younger brother, and Wolf's grandfather. I don't think we'll have any more daughters, so not worried about it.

I had somewhat of a pattern in naming my children. I liked old fashioned names. I wanted my kids to have names where they would most likely be the only one with that name. I also liked long first names with a one syllable middle name. All of my children also have movies with their name in it. Although that did not happen on purpose. Just something I realized later on!

Savannah ....I will say that at the time I named my first daughter---her name was not heard much or used much. Apparently it became a favorite as it is no longer that unique and I happen to know a lot of people with her name. (Movie: "Savannah Smiles")

Annabelle ....This was my dh's pick. He loved this name and I have to say we have rarely run into another child named Annabelle. (Movie: "Annabelle's Wish")

Charlotte ....This was a favorite name of mine forever. I always loved the name Charlotte. (Movie:Charlotte's Web)

Christopher....This actually fit the mold for a long first name with a one syllable middle name but it happened by chance. He's named after his dad.

If I had another daughter (which I won't) but if I had...her name would

have been Anne Marie--which would have broken my pattern!

There is a pattern, but speaking of names, something really strange happened with their names - puzzles me till the present day.

At birth, they were both given two names - a name of Jewish origin, but italianized, we planned to call them by, accompanied by a simple traditional Italian name we liked, but really put there just to fit. So in reality only first names were really picked, after relatives and by their meanings, while the second names were pretty much "added", and not given much attention to back then.

So we started to call them by their first names, and as toddlers, they were Giuditta and Eva. Sometimes, and by some relatives who preferred the original names always, they were Yehudit and Chava (and are still today), but it never really crossed anyone's mind to call them by their second names.

However, after we moved here, out of some weird reason they called themselves more and more often by their second names, and we started to follow them - and within a year or two, something which started out as a joke really crept into us to become a habit, and within next few years all of our friends, and most of family, adopted that way of naming them as well - so, totally unexpectedly, instead of Giuditta and Eva, today I have Emilia and Lucia.

Not that I really mind it - nice names :) - but it still feels weird to hear them called by the americanized versions, Emily and Lucy, by their friends here. As if they were referring to somebody else's child - for some reason I can't swallow Emily and Lucy and start to call them that way, even though they themselves alterate Italian and English versions all the time.

And their nice first names, the carefully picked ones, are mostly forgotten and found on documents only. :( It's too late now to insist on that, but really, what a coincidence, they ended up with the names we put "to suit", and not the ones we wanted them to have.

My 3 kids all start with J.

The only boy named we liked with the first was Jordan, so that's what his name is :001_smile:

With dd I liked many names so she was nameless for the first few hours of her life. My mother in law came to visit and we said she didn't have a name yet, gave her the names we liked and she said, she looks like a Jenna. So that's what we named her. Guess we weren't even thinking about going with a J theme then.

With the third, I knew it was going to be a J name. I didn't want him/her feeling left out. We found out 2 days before delivery what we were having~boy. His name is Jacob.

Family middle names for all 3.

Years ago, I knew a girl who was the third sister. The three girls in her family were named Faith, Hope, and.... Stephanie. C'mon: Faith, Hope and STEPHANIE? Her entire life, she had people ask, "Why isn't your name 'Charity?'"

To me, the moral of her story is this: if you've started a pattern, continue it. :P

Lisa

Our naming pattern was accidental, and we've stuck with it through all five kids. Their first names are two syllables, end with /n/ and are old Irish names. Their middle names are character traits, excluding our third, who has a namesake (his namesake's last name is his middle name).

It was kid three that tipped us over to "keep the pattern running" too. We haven't had any problems finding names that fit the criteria though. *shrug*

We have 4 biblical names (2 OT and 2 NT) but we didn't do it on purpose. Dh and I were just drawn to the names.

2 of our children have 2 middle names. 2 have just one middle name

All of them have at least one family name that has been passed down through several generations but strangers don't know that.

QUOTE=Lisa in Jax;1184802]Years ago, I knew a girl who was the third sister. The three girls in her family were named Faith, Hope, and.... Stephanie. C'mon: Faith, Hope and STEPHANIE? Her entire life, she had people ask, "Why isn't your name 'Charity?'"

To me, the moral of her story is this: if you've started a pattern, continue it. :P

Lisa

:lol::lol:

Something about the idea of Faith, Hope, and Stephanie just cracks me up.

My naming tradition isn't very obvious. All the first names are longer, more formal names, that can be shortened for nicknames. All the middle names are family names. I would continue this tradition if we had more kids, but purposely didn't start any 'same first letter' tradition because I was afraid if I named 3 kids with the same initial and couldn't think of a fourth name that we liked, we'd be in trouble. I don't know how the Duggars keep coming up with J names.

I think you should stick with a K sound for your fourth, though. As someone else said, with the child being adopted, you want to do everything you can to make him/her feel part of the family. And there are lots of great K names to choose from.

I have a friend who went with flower names. It started because she had aunts and grandmas with flower names. The babies just kept coming, and now they have quite a "garden:"

Daisy

Iris

Violet

Rose

Zinnia or Lily (they are in the process of adopting and have not decided which)

Heather

If any of these had been a boy they considered names like Oliver, Rowan, or Linden (all trees).

On a different note, I attended college with a woman whose mother must have really liked hippie names, because she named her two daughters Candi and Bambi.

All of our kids have Star Trek names (in addition to dh).

I'm the one weirdo whe does NOT have a Star Trek name. :glare:

DH's was on purpose and Katy's was well thought out. Jake was actually named for Jakob Dylan of the Wallflowers, but happens to be a ST name as well.

Claire was named for both Claire Huxtable and Claire Fisher from SFU, but happens to be a ST name, too. Go figure.

We are done with baby-havin', but I would be happy to keep the tradition alive as long as we didn't have to resort to names like Data or Jordi. (or was it Geordi?)

Our story (you can skip this part if you want to):

Ds15's name starts with a K

dd10's name starts with a Ch, but phonetically is a 'K' sound.

It wasn't on purpose and it wasn't until people started asking if we did it on purpose that I even noticed it.

Ffwd 8 years, when we adopted dd2 we changed her name. Dh wanted to purposefully give her a 'K' sounding name so she 'wouldn't be left out'. We decided to give her a family name. We named her after a great aunt who adopted my grandmother, orphaned at 2yo when my great-grand parents died. It was a way to honor my aunt, but also pays homage to our relationship, as I am my 2yo's bio-aunt. It is a great name for her, fitting her personality well.

I will vote no, I don't think it is necessary. My last child does not have a biblical name and all my previous four do. It has come up, but I have told her that we just loved her name so we chose it for her. I told her that my name also isn't in the Bible though I didn't think about that at the time we chose her name. I think as long as you love your child and treat them the same as the others, the name "matching" the others is just not important.

Besides, in your case the first letter isn't even the same, just the sound. My friend named her first four with names that end in "ah" and the last one was not. I never noticed until she called it to my attention.

I don't think what we name our children should be determined by what we named the previous ones. Each child is different and their own person. Maybe they won't fit the previous trend and why should they have to? It is a parental whim only.

For our second DD, we wanted to stick with a unique two syllable first name, followed by a four letter "naturish" middle name that was one syllable. So DD#2 is Sailor Skye.

I'd like to stick with that method for future children as well. However, I cant seem to think of many one syllable, four letter "naturish" middle names for boys if we ever had one.

I'll give a go--

Cedar Mist

Emek (Hebrew for valley) Stone

River Leaf

Basil Moon

Barri (this is Welsh, which I think it means mountain) Sage

Forrest Clay

Eagel Brook

Basil Storm

I'll give a go--

Cedar Mist

Emek (Hebrew for valley) Stone

River Leaf

Basil Moon

Barri (this is Welsh, which I think it means mountain) Sage

Forrest Clay

Eagel Brook

Basil Storm

I really like Storm as a middle name! That would go well with Rain and Skye. I might would even be convinced to overlook the fact that it is 5 letters instead of 4. It would still be one syllable and naturish. I also think that Mist and Moon is interesting. I'll definitely have to write these down....thanks so much!!

I wish we had done a biblical theme but we fell in love with the name Lucy and that was simply "it" for us. Both my dh and I had grandmothers named Evelyn so that's her middle name. "Lucy" was in the top 10 in England when we had her, so when my son was coming along we needed something that might go along with it. I was so in love with the name Elliot, but we also tossed around Liam, James and Henry. When he was born so early (29 weeks) we had to decide fast and Elliot it was. His middle name is Daniel after his father. We almost never run in to another Lucy or Elliot and I like that A LOT, especially considering my name is Amy and we have just about the most popular last name.

You could stick to one syllable and go with a sky theme - I like Storm for a boy's middle name. Or if you really want four letters - Snow (For a girl, Star would work too!) :D

My boysĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ middle names are two-syllable, shwa-n names.

First names have a different set of criteria. They must be scriptural and I must be able to shorten them to 1 syllable. For example, Joshua Keaton would be good. Then as an adult if he wanted a strong boardroom name he could be Josh. David Jordan= Dave, Michael Easton= Mike, Joseph Preston= Joe, Gabriel Nathan= Gabe, etc.

My youngest was tricky. Because dh is Persian, Muslim, and his parents do not speak English, it was important to me that youngest ds have a name that my dils at least recognized as a name. So, I looked through Muslim/ Biblical prophets! The spelling on dsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s birth certificate is the way dh would spell the name, but in our house we use the one syllable American nickname. Dils pronounce the complete name just a little differently, but ds knows who they are talking to. :)

If my little man had been a girl, her middle name would have been Megann. My maiden initials were MEG and my mom's middle name is Ann. It also fits the shwa-n theme.

However, we would have broken the trend with the first name. We would have named a dd after mil.

Mandy

All of our kids have Star Trek names (in addition to dh).

I'm the one weirdo whe does NOT have a Star Trek name. :glare:

That's awesome. :D

It didn't occur to me until after all of my children were named that mine matches the pattern too. My best friend pointed it out to me a few months ago. Ha! Proof that a subconscious exists!

I would constantly be annoyed with one name that was different. It would feel weird.

I remember how my brother felt about being a Nick in a family that consisted of a Ray, a Rose, and a Regina. He had a chip on his shoulder about it all through elementary school.

That said, I'm not a fan of overtly obvious patterns, either. I guess you're stuck with that K now. Maybe you can pick a name that starts with K but is nicknamed into something that doesn't, like Clotilda to Tillie.

DH has a daughter called Jasmin- 5 years older than 'our' oldest. Her 2nd name is Joy.

My dd came along and we called her Genevieve, which has the same sound at the beginning. Her second name is Gwendolyn.

We weren't committed to calling my 2nd with a "g/J" name but we did anyway- Jared. It has other significance for us, other than just the sound at the beginning. His second name is not related though and doesn't start with a J, because it is dh's first name which is passed through teh generations (And I refused to have it as his first name).

If I had another- yes, I would follow the same theme, almost certainly. In fact, I often dream of "g/j" names, even though dh doesnt want another child. I would probably go for the soft "G" like dd's rather than the "J" though.

Gemma, Georgia, Geordie,

although I love the name Jeremiah too.

However, I cant seem to think of many one syllable, four letter "naturish" middle names for boys if we ever had one.

We do nature names too, so I have given this consideration.

There's Bear, and then there's Wolf, and then I guess Leaf. Oh, and Lark. Sage is popular; Pine, Dune, Star and Dusk are not. Consider Loch or Lake. I myself am quite partial to West. Dale is technically a nature name but I think, like Fern and Jasper, it's kind of gotten into the vernacular as a name and no one remembers it was once just a nature word except when they sing, "Over hill over dale we have hit the dusty trail and those caissons go rolling along." You may also consider Kitt to be a nature name because it's what the young of some animals are called, forgiving the extra t, of course. If you're okay with that sort of modification or stretching, you may also like Oake and Grey. Although I find it a bit odd, Moon is sometimes used for boys, too; it especially was in the seventies.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed