Menu

Misheard lyrics funny.

My 16 yr. old just informed me that she always thought the line in the famous Christmas carol was "Dawn we now our day of peril". :001_huh: This is not the first time she has confessed to some seriously funny misunderstandings. No wonder the poor child is horribly confused. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

Yeah, why be all happy about the dawning day of peril?

You know On the Road Again? I always thought he was saying:

The wife I love is making music with my friends

And I can't wait to get on the road again

I couldn't blame him for wanting to get on the road again!

:lol: I always thought the line in "Lucille" was she had had 400 children and a crop int he fields. I would've left too! :001_smile:

I used to know some website full of these funnies. They referred to the "condition" of mihearing lyrics as "chronic lyricosis." I also had this great book called Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs that was hilarious!

Here are a couple of ours (me, dh, and I think one of the kids')

"Big ol' Chad had a lighthouse" (Big Old Jet Airliner)

"Im a Poolhall Ace" (how my poor heart aches, from that Police song)

"I Been Down to Hardees, Baby" (Been DOwnhearted Baby)

The two funniest I remember were:

from Elton John's "Benny and the Jets" - she had electric "BooKs" a mohair suit - should be "electric boots"

and from Grease - she thought the song was "You're the One in the Boat, " instead of "You're the One that I Want."

Haven't seen my friend in over 20 years, but laugh and think of her every time I hear those songs today. :001_smile:

Mary

When my brother was young he thought the song "Burnadette" by the Four Tops was actually "Burn again " He thought it was about a pyromaniac.

I always loved the old T-Mobile commercial where the song "Pour some sugar on me" by Def leopard was on and the guy was singing "Pour some shook up ramen" and his girlfriend says "What" and he responds with "You know SOUP!"

My sister thought that in the song "your the one that I want" from Grease that John Travolta shouts "It's Frankenstein" instead of "it's electrifying" :D

"Call your ma" instead of "Panama" by Van Halen"

and can't forget Neil Diamonds famous song "Reverend Blue Jeans, Babe" (Forever in Blue Jeans, Babe) :001_huh: :lol:

Diane

I have an Aunt named Joyce. When she was little they lived on a farm and she was called Joycie. There was a song at Church that she loved called "Bringing in the Sheaves". At the end of the song it says, "We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves." It had always been her favorite song because she thought the words were, "We shall come with Joycie, bringing in the sheeps." :D She said she had felt so special singing that song, and was shocked when she realized what the real words were! :lol:

Our favorite Christmas Carols around here:

Three, we kings of Orient are,

Merry gifts, we travel so far.

And the ever-popular:

Our God needs a Tupperware drawer.

Tuppeware drawer!

Oh our God needs a Tupperware drawer!

(um, that's actually "Oh tidings of comfort and joy, for you uninitiated!)

Frère Jacques, Frère Jacques

Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?

Sonnez les matines! Sonnez les matines!

Ding, dang, dong. Ding, dang, dong.

(or...as my DD used to sing)

Where is Shopko?Where is Shopko?

Door may who? Door may who?

Hey my name is Tina, Hey my name is Tina

Ding dang dog, Ding dang dog

My favorite one is Credence Clearwater Revival.

"There's a bad moon on the rise" ... my kids are convinced they're singing, "There's a bathroom on the right." :lol:

These are TOO funny!:smilielol5:

I also thought it was a bathroom on the right - and actually that is STILL what I hear all these years later if I happen to hear it playing somewhere:001_huh:

I had a friend who insisted some lyrics were "Dirty deeds and the thunder chief" (Dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap).

But my dd is especially challenged when it comes to lyrics! I don't think there's a song out there that she sings correctly:

Old McDonald - Oink, Oink, here and there and everywhere and there

from VBS - Dang, dang central for "Game Day Central"

Jingle Bells - Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle holiday

:lol: I always thought the line in "Lucille" was she had had 400 children and a crop int he fields. I would've left too! :001_smile:

I thought this one too!

And I thought it was "when you get caught between the moon and Lillian sing" instead of "when you get caught between the moon and New York City."

I know it's crazy, but it's true!!!

Edited by rowan25

My 16 yr. old just informed me that she always thought the line in the famous Christmas carol was "Dawn we now our day of peril". :001_huh: This is not the first time she has confessed to some seriously funny misunderstandings. No wonder the poor child is horribly confused. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Fa la la!!!!

Michael Jackson's Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' song.

Help Me Sing It,

Ma Ma Se, Ma Ma Sa, Ma Ma Coo Sa

V.S.

Help Me Sing It,

I'ma sing it to the sound of my new song...

I'ma sing it to the sound of my new song...:D

family faves:

"America, America, God shed his skin for thee..." (me, first grade)

"good night... sleep tight... and may your dreams come true... adios... ork d'vork... ah Pete's zane" (the old lawrence welk end of show tune)

I had a friend who insisted some lyrics were "Dirty deeds and the thunder chief" (Dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap).

I thought it was this for a long time as well.

My best friend: Phil Collins Invisible Touch.

"She seems to have an invisible touch" was mistaken for "She sees a hand and gives it a touch."

Michael Jackson's Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' song.

Help Me Sing It,

V.S.

Help Me Sing It,

I'ma sing it to the sound of my new song...

I'ma sing it to the sound of my new song...:D

Oh my goodness, I had NO idea what he was saying. I definitely thought it was more along the lines of what you thought (Ma Ma Se...) Thanks for setting me straight! :)

When we lived in the Philippines I despised a national 'hit song" which had had the lyrics:

spaghetti pa pa pa (think spaghetti straps)

sex bomb, sex bomb, sex bomb

We couldn't avoid it because they played it EVERYWHERE- in every taxi, in every store, etc. My dd was 10 at the time. One day I heard here singing it, and I was so thankful when I heard her sing:

spaghetti pa pa pa

says Mom, says Mom, says MOM :001_smile:

she thought it was about spaghetti for dinner.

susan

Are we friends? I used to insist it was thunder chief. I never did get that song until I was enlightened.

My favorite one is Credence Clearwater Revival.

"There's a bad moon on the rise" ... my kids are convinced they're singing, "There's a bathroom on the right." :lol:

These are TOO funny!:smilielol5:

I also thought it was a bathroom on the right - and actually that is STILL what I hear all these years later if I happen to hear it playing somewhere:001_huh:

:lol:Every time I tell someone this, they look at me like I'm nuts, but now I know I'm not alone:grouphug:

These posts are funny!:lol: I have to add a few

Manford Man's "Blinded by the light...wrapped like a douche like a runner in the night...." I still don't know what it says!!!!!

And my dd's: Kiss' "Rock N Roll all night" her version is "I want to drop and roll all night and potty every day"

Manford Man's "Blinded by the light...wrapped like a douche like a runner in the night...." I still don't know what it says!!!!!

I believe it's "deuce" ... don't ask me why that makes sense either, but...LOL .. I heard it the way you did, too!! :lol:

This thread is definitely bringing back memories!!

It is deuce and it doesn't mean anything. When asked, Bruce said, "It's just words, man." This song is the number one song with misheard lyrics. Probably because it doesn't make any sense at all. Your brain doesn't have anything logical to work with so you just go by what it sounds like.

Edited by KidsHappen

How about "Knights in white satin..." ?

The image of King Arthur on his horse dressed in a white satin jumpsuit...

OMG! I always thought it was Knights which is incredibly stupid of me given the theme of the album and even more so given how much I have listened to it ( A LOT!) over the years.

Ok, the funniest (and most awful) misheard lyrics I ever heard......

A friend's SIL insists that the words to "Eminence Front" are actually ....."m&m's f....." well, I can't say the word here but it's something that nice m&m's ought not to be doing.

And the woman totally believes these are the correct lyrics, even though she's been corrected many times.

J