Menu

If you haven't read WTM, why do you come here?

Samiam

I am completely NOT trying to be snarky. I just keep wondering why people would come to THIS forum board, if they haven't yet read WTM and/or don't even attempt to follow the WTM philosophy?

I am not judging, just curious. I know there are a ton of HS forums out there, some curriculum specific, some just general HSing.

I even get those that are trying to do classical education, but using a different version, ie LCC, or VP, even MFW. It makes sense to come to active Classical Education board like this to get input and advice on those as most likely some WTMers have also incorporated other classical education theories.

But it's the ones who, it seems, have not even read WTM, or seem not to want to follow a Classical model, that make me wonder. The ones that ask about using Houghton Mifflin books, the ones that ask about using Time4Learning, those types of questions. Again, nothing against anyone if those types of curriculums work for you and your child, super. But those types of curriculums clearly go against the classical model. Fine, not everyone wants to do the classical model, and that is completely understandable. But why come to a forum for classical education?

I just don't get why or how you found your way here?:001_huh:

Just asking, not judging..

Perhaps some people just like a forum where there are many homeschoolers. I personally don't follow TWTM but I have read it. Twice. I am very eclectic in our homeschool but in general follow a 'classical' method. There are lots of people here and a huge range of different ideas and counsel can be found here. That's why I like it.:001_smile:

I have read TWTM but I have no intention of following it. I think my ds would fall apart if I tried to implement a classical model. It seems like it would overwhelm him. However, I do think that classically schooled kids and adults have a great base of knowledge and experience from which they could draw. I would have loved to receive such an education.

We started home schooling in 4th grade and unfortunately my ds is one of those kids that thinks he knows better than everybody else. He is almost impossible to home school. In fact, his 3rd grade teacher laughed at me and, as she snickered, wished me good luck with it. ( I now know why she snickered. He's stubborn, uncooperative, disrespectful, and thinks he's in charge. Yeah, lovely, I know.) I don't think the classical approach is for every kid.

So why do I come here? I want to know what you gals think! What are you teaching your kids? What works? How do you approach your lessons? Which curriculum should I look at? It's because of this forum that I embarked on a seperate study of latin roots, discovered what diagramming a sentence means, understand how important history studies are...

I want my ds to get a great education and I'm responsible for that. Why wouldn't I want to check in with families who, in my opinion, chose a wonderful approach to home schooling? Also, not every family supporting the classical model actually sticks to it 100%. In the beginning of TWTM, Susan talks about how each family needs to customize what works for their particular child and how the book was meant as a guide.

I love love love WTM and have read the book several times.... however.... I am not a homeschooler...I am what I would call a "fill in" schooler or afterschooler. While I love to teach my kids I could not do it five days or even four days a week. Nope I know my limitations and am in awe of those that can do it full time. I give my kids a WTM approach to learning in daily life by surrounding ourselves with good literature that is built on a string foundation and understanding of history.

I'm here becuase it is nice to talk with and share information with families that are jsut as committed to their kids education.

:iagree: to posts 3 and 4.;)

I own and have read WTM, but as our hsing evolved, it was important to follow our dc's needs-and some of those needs didn't jive with a Classical model of education. I peruse some of the theory, but have mostly(used loosely) arrived at more of a Charlotte Mason approach. While the timing of introducing information is very important, I haven't always agreed with SWB's choices for curricula. I follow our dc-that is the beauty of hsing.

Personally, I haven't found a hs message board, that is more active than this board, offering such a variety of,"Been there, tried that.";)

HTH!:)

I have a friend who uses classical education to hs her kidlets. I have borrowed TWTM b/c I'm interested in it and come here to learn while I slowly make my way thru the book (not that it's boring but I have only a few minutes a day to glance at a book right now). So I just read and learn how to adjust what we already to do to fit the classical style.

I have read WTM and WEM, but fall closer to LCC.

Beyond that, most homeschool boards simply suck. Literally, the board software sucks. This board is so nicely laid out, and so easy to navigate, it is a pleasure to come here.

I belong to some Yahoo groups, but they drive me crazy - the software is simply awful. 8,000 posts on the same topic, no way to "nest" them like they are here... and yes, I know it is free hosting and with free comes "lesser" software... but that is one of the reasons why I buy Susan's work, because she is willing to host something I find valuable.

asta

I dont fall into the category at all, but I can understand people coming here....its just a darn good place for homeschoolers to hang out. I am not aware of any other boards as good as these even for general homeschooling conversation. And perhaps the classical flavour actually contributes to that, especially for people who have a high standard but dont subscribe to the classical model for various reasons.

Just musing.

I can't say that I follow it though. I come here for the intelligent discussion of HS issues - it's the best place I have found for that.

Laura

:iagree:

I *want* to follow the WTM, but we can't follow it to the letter with my 11yo and 8yo. We'll have to see with the rest.

However, even at the point where we were doing all ACE PACES, I came here for the intelligent conversation.

I don't even have school-age dc and I still come here.:D

The women (and men) here know *everything.* They are wise, and clever, and experienced in so many, many things. TWTM forums are like my brain food.:D

And once in awhile I get to answer a homeschooling question, 'cuz I know a couple of things and I don't get to do that IRL any more.:D

We do not strictly school in a classical mode.

This Board has some of the best discussion on homeschooling curricula around. I know I can come here, and get good advice on homeschooling issues. The curriculum advice on writing for my ds has been invaluable. Had I not come to this Board I never would have known about WWE, or thought about using timelines, or Teaching Textbooks, or LLATL, or notebooking, copywork or dictation. This is a place of knowledge and sharing. Some who come here know nothing in the beginning (like me!) and gradually begin incorporation the parts of classical education that are best for their children.

Hey, people go to fitness sites all the time without ever getting out of the armchair, right? Sometimes they even eat potato chips while surfing the fitness sites! LOL

Nan

... but that is one of the reasons why I buy Susan's work, because she is willing to host something I find valuable.

asta

:iagree: I try to support SWB when I can. If I use any of her materials, I buy directly from Peace Hill Press. :)

I'm another one who has mostly read TWTM although it was years ago. I'm a classical schooler wannabe. I tried to follow the plan but I was so not good at it! It was too easy to curriculum hop. A packaged curriculum is what gets done in our home. However, I am trying to find a way to incorporate some of Susan's educational ideas into the K12 material.

There simply is no better homeschooling forum that I've found that is as diverse as this one. It's not only informational but very supportive. The Hive rocks! Not a single day goes by without my being on this board.

I glanced at the WTM when we started homeschooling 6years ago. My daughter was in K and as a new homeschooler it was totally overwhelming to me so we went some other way (we started with FIAR in K and then went with Sonlight till she went to PS at the end of 3rd).

I landed here this year as we prepare to homeshcool again because it is the most active board I found that I can actually read (that software thing someone mentionned before). We may not follow the classical philosophy entirely (I won't be teaching Latin at this point) but I am looking to give my kids a rigorous education and I know that here I will find like minded people.

I also appreciate the diversity of this board, it is somewhat hard to find in the homeschooling world. I like and use Sonlight but as a non-Christian I feel like an alien on their board sometime.

Here's my history:

I read the original version. I saw and met SWB at my state's homeschool convention the first or second year we started homeschooling. I was doing a traditional approach (school in a box) with Christian Liberty Academy. I cried. I did that for my oldest in first grade. I started using TWTM approach.

In my older son's second grade, I went to a Classical Academic co-op. After doing this co-op, I became very disillusioned with the classical approach. Part of the reason was I was so hurt by the moms there. They were so strict even with 4 and 5 year olds. I know that this was not the purpose of TWTM, but it was painful.

I started to read the Charlotte Mason approach on Ambleside Online. I found my niche. I slowly started to implement Ambleside Online little by little. I feel that I am a combination Well-Trained Mind and Ambleside Online.

I follow the history with Story of the World and science schedule of the The Well Trained Mind exclusively. So, I am still there. For language arts, I use more the Charlotte Mason approach which is narration, copywork, and dictation (that covers grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and writing).

I have not purchased the newer copies of the Well-Trained Mind. I still use my old version.

This board was the very first forum that I have ever went to. It was back in 2003. I have remained loyal to this board because it is the only board that I can read about things in homeschooling.

I love how SWB does stuff.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

First, some background. I started thinking about homeschooling when ds was two years old (that was more than three years ago). First I read about Montessori, but kept getting stuck at the materials. Then I found Charlotte Mason. It was, and is, the sort of education I wanted to teach/give and suspected ds would thrive on. I found Tanglewood Education, and knew I had found the framework I was looking for.

A friend who didn't have enough shelf space had me keep her books. She was interested in and contemplating homeschooling. One of her books was the old copy (2004 edition I believe) of The Well Trained Mind. I read it. I was overwhelmed at kept shaking my head. Too much, I thought. I could never do this. Then I read more Charlotte Mason and noticed that the rigor of her lessons were of the same caliber and flavor as that of TWTM's, but slowly building up from shorter lessons to longer lessons. I like a rigorous education. In fact, I demand it. I read SOTW Volume I. Loved it. I am convinced of studying history chronologically. I bought it and the activity book. Meanwhile, my friend wanted her copy of TWTM back and is not homeschooling anymore, but afterschooling instead. She's expecting her fourth child and working full-time.

Come 2009, I see that as far as breadth, scope, depth and rigor, CM and TWTM have much in common in the middle and high school years. Tanglewood is a mix of CM and classical. I think I'm mostly CM with a touch of Classical. I got TWTM (10th anniversary edition) for Mother's Day and I'm reading it. Savoring it is more like it. I feel like I'm right on track from K-6, but I'm going to need help with 7th onwards. TWTM keeps me focused on the rigorous aspects and provides great resources. suggestions and lists. I use it as a wonderful reference, together with When Children Love to Learn, Books Children Love and Teaching Children. I also use TWTM for inspiration and to imagine the future, with college as the last goal before a well-rounded, intelligent, articulate, perpetual knowledge and truth seeker.

I belonged to the Mothering HS forum (I still do), but it's not nearly as active and I have much more in common with the members on this board when it comes to homeschooling than the members there.

The Well Trained Mind forum has some of the best minds in homeschooling -- passionate homeschooling moms who care deeply about their children, about knowledge, about education and about doing it right. It also happens to be the most active forum I know of. What's not to love? :)

Edited by sagira

The women (and men) here know *everything.* They are wise, and clever, and experienced in so many, many things. TWTM forums are like my brain food.:D

WHY? - This forum is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement from other educated homeschoolers. Even in subjects where I stray radically from WTM, I can find ideas that I want to implement in my home.

This board is VERY active compared to other homeschooling boards.

Many other boards only allow discussions about one method or curriculum.

Regardless of what one's primary approach is, we are all connected by being homeschoolers.

Often when one first takes an interest in homeschooling or begins this journey, they haven't yet found what method they will use or are even aware of the different approaches.

I could have multi-quoted more - especially the one about how most other forum have software that stinks. And I do love having avatars. That's how I remember people! I wish my HoD board had them. I'm just a visual person.

For me, I am so brand new to hs'ing that I need experienced hsers around me. I have some IRL, but not this many, and not this experienced. Also, still making myself aware of the different choices. Until you start doing it you don't really know, imo. I think I'm more of a CM person, but the more I read of WTM, the more I like and want to mix the two.

So if I do that, can I stay? ;):tongue_smilie:

My son wanted to study Ancient Egypt, ... an internet search landed me here. I don't consider myself a classical homeschooler; we just commonly follow the chronological history studies (using a longer rotation) and I've found this forum to be a treasure trove of information and resources.

I've not yet read the WTM, but I've flipped through it at the bookstore.

I have read WTM and WEM, but fall closer to LCC.

Beyond that, most homeschool boards simply suck. Literally, the board software sucks. This board is so nicely laid out, and so easy to navigate, it is a pleasure to come here.

I belong to some Yahoo groups, but they drive me crazy - the software is simply awful. 8,000 posts on the same topic, no way to "nest" them like they are here... and yes, I know it is free hosting and with free comes "lesser" software... but that is one of the reasons why I buy Susan's work, because she is willing to host something I find valuable.

asta

I haven't found another homeschooling board that is as well attended as this one, either.

Come 2009, I see that as far as breadth, scope, depth and rigor, CM and TWTM have much in common in the middle and high school years. Tanglewood is a mix of CM and classical. I think I'm mostly CM with a touch of Classical. I got TWTM (10th anniversary edition) for Mother's Day and I'm reading it. Savoring it is more like it. I feel like I'm right on track from K-6, but I'm going to need help with 7th onwards. TWTM keeps me focused on the rigorous aspects and provides great resources. suggestions and lists. I use it as a wonderful reference, together with When Children Love to Learn, Books Children Love and Teaching Children. I also use TWTM for inspiration and to imagine the future, with college as the last goal before a well-rounded, intelligent, articulate, perpetual knowledge and truth seeker.

I belonged to the Mothering HS forum (I still do), but it's not nearly as active and I have much more in common with the members on this board when it comes to homeschooling than the members there.

The Well Trained Mind forum has some of the best minds in homeschooling -- passionate homeschooling moms who care deeply about their children, about knowledge, about education and about doing it right. It also happens to be the most active forum I know of. What's not to love? :)

We love you too! I completely agree with CM and Classical not being so different.

I guess I fall into this category. I love WTM and have gleaned so much info. from it! We LOVED SOTW with the Activity guide! We're eclectic homeschoolers, and use many of the ideas and philosophies, but I'm not strictly WTM.

I love this board for the same reasons others have mentioned---it's such a wealth of information! I just joined last year, but last year and for this coming year, I have found great programs that I wouldn't have known about otherwise! We haven't done Latin much, mainly because dh doesn't think it's something we need to do, but I'm always tempted! I still MAY try out a program for dd for next year for vocab. purposes.

At any rate I love this board, and all the women, and the wealth I find here!

ETA: I forgot to mention that I read the first version, and bought the second version of WTM. My 2nd version is well highlighted and marked up! :) I'm planning on getting the new edition!

Edited by Brindee

I read TWTM about 4 years ago. We were doing Sonlight at the time. The next year we switched and read SOTW along with the activity guide. It was o.k. but we didn't really enjoy many of the additional book suggestions in the activity guide. We tried some of the other WTM curriculum suggestions but it just wasn't a good fit for us at the time.

Since then, I've learned that I lean more toward a CM philosophy which is not as rigorous in the early years but amps up quite a bit more during jr. and sr. high.

I started coming to this forum about 2 months ago and I have learned about so many great curriculums that I didn't even know were out there. While I love WP and plan to stick with that for our history rotations, I'm gleaning great info on math and writing programs for my oldest who is entering jr. high as well as spelling ideas for my middle son who struggles with that quite a bit.

There is a wealth of knowledge for anyone. I plan to re-read TWTM again this summer. Now, I realize that I don't have to follow it EXACTLY...that I can tweak it to make it fit for our family. The forums have also helped me see how and where I can be challenging my children a little bit more in certain areas.

That's why I'm here :)

I follow and agree with PARTS of the Well Trained Mind philosophy. Other parts, I tried and they were not a fit for my kids.

This board is a WEALTH of information. Often times, if I find something is not working for me, there is someone here to suggest something that WILL work for me/my kids. :) I also love the used curriculum sale board. ;)

We started home schooling in 4th grade and unfortunately my ds is one of those kids that thinks he knows better than everybody else. He is almost impossible to home school. In fact, his 3rd grade teacher laughed at me and, as she snickered, wished me good luck with it. ( I now know why she snickered. He's stubborn, uncooperative, disrespectful, and thinks he's in charge. Yeah, lovely, I know.) I don't think the classical approach is for every kid.

Hey...did you steal my older ds? This description fits him to a T. Unfortunately.

Guest 4boys

Well I am one that hasn't read TWTM. I am interested in reading it and I might sometime but as for why I'm here....I don't know any hs'ers in real life. And when I want to know what works, what doesn't, what certain programs are like, or how to teach certain things, I LOVE the info I get from this board. The suggestions and "been there done that" stories here are so valuable to me. I spend a lot of time lurking and just reading what other people do.

I read the first and second editions of TWTM and found them very insightful. Also TWTM led me along the path to LCC, which I love. I've read Susan's novel The Revolt as well as The Well-Educated Mind and The History of the Ancient World. I'm delighted with SOTW, FLL, and especially WWE (and will, I hope, get to use all the future levels of it because it ROCKS).

I've met--virtually and IRL--some really phenomenal folks through this forum, for which I'm truly grateful to Susan even if she never finishes the Complete Writer series. But please please please, Susan, please finish the Complete Writer series. ;) Because did I mention that it ROCKS?

I'm here because it's the first forum I've found where people are as curriculum-obsessed as I am. :tongue_smilie: And there's lots of activity (dead boards do me no good), and the people are intelligent and thoughtful.

I do own the first edition of WTM. I flet I knew the gist of at least the grammar-stage ideas from friends who raved about it, and I didn't end up actually reading it because for the grammar stage what I was gleaning from the friends didn't quite jibe with me - I have no interest in memorizing dates in history or parts of speech or studying Latin. Copywork, narration and dictation I did want to do, but I'd read a lot of CM stuff so I felt I already knew what that was (even if I never seemed to get to it). I know all that's far from being the whole program, but I was happy doing what I was doing, so the big book never got opened.

My older two are now starting the logic stage, so I've been stretched in new directions. It's been great finding this place with such breadth of experience. The recommendations I've gotten here for curriculum have just been fantastic (and I'm now using my first SWB product - WWE2 - and loving it. Narration, copywork and dictation were previously things I had only aspired to, now I'm actually getting it done). I've been inspired by the high expectations most people here have for their kids and awed by how they can fit it all in. It's a great place to hang out... (I may be addicted...)

It was love at first sight!!! I have totally enjoyed this message board. I have received multitudes of wisdom from you ladies and I sincerely appreciate your patience as well as your willingness to help anyone you can.

I CONFESS: I have not read WTM!!!! BUUUUTTTT...I just ordered it!!! I cannot wait to read it after all the posts I have read about it or referring to it.

Thank you for your influence in my homeschooling journey. It can be very isolating at times and I love being able to come here and be in touch with other homeschoolers.

Thank you!!!

WHY? - This forum is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement from other educated homeschoolers. Even in subjects where I stray radically from WTM, I can find ideas that I want to implement in my home.

Also, I have rigorous expectations for my hs. It's important for me that our school be GREAT, not just okay or easy. That's a perspective only available here so far as I know.

When I started coming here I was doing FLL with my K student. We have done parts of it, though when I went to WP for LA a lot of it was redundant.

We may very well do SOTW some day.

When I want to know what is the best science curriculum I can choose, or why a certain math program does or does not work, I want to hear answers from people I respect who will give reasoned intelligent input.

We're eclectic. I could never be one style. I've scanned through WTM to see the curriculum suggestions. I don't really care about philosophy. I just do what fits us. I can get the gist of classical, LCC and Cm here by reading what the other's post without reading the books. I know I'd never be die hard any philosopy. Because of the wide variety of homeschoolers on this board I consider it like a buffet when I come here. I take a little of this and a little of that and and come up with my own combonation that works. I love the variety here. I have learned about more curriculum from this board than any other. There was another board I used to go to more and when I started coming here I was shocked about the curriculum that I didn't know about because it was never discussed on the other board. I guess even though this is a classical board I don't think of it as one. I think of it as more eclectic. My science and history choices this coming year are more classical. The longer I stay here the more classical I get LOL I'm definitely not going to pull together my own history or science though. That would not work for us.

Im eclectic. I do not like much of what I have seen recommended in WTM nor am I interested in classical homeschooling.

Im not interested in coming here and bagging on it either, though. It obviously is a valid choice which works for many.

I am interested in the vigorous discussion of various curricula and hsing materials. That I enjoy very much.

Plus the # of secular HSers here is higher than anywhere else I have seen.

We are eclectic homeschoolers, but we lean towards Classical ( we use MFW), and so I do enjoy the discussions about curriculum and education in general. I have read most of the WTM, but it was overwhelming to me.

I was originally directed to this board because I have a special needs child, and I was told that you all have a really nice sub-forum for homeschooling children with special needs (and they were right.) :-)

Plus....once I got here and saw the swap board, I was like :drool5:

Edited by mom2jjka

and read it, folded pages over, paperclipped pages, underlined, memorized and planned.......but alas SWB Classical is not for my kids :tongue_smilie: We are SO eclectic, and so frankly the other homeschool boards I frequent usually are ones where THAT particular curriculum is discussed and pumped and if you are not a Guru of that curriculum---you kind of get ignored or flat out dissed because you don't follow THAT curriculum 100%. The incredible traffic on this board, coupled with the incredible numbers of 'everyone' and not just WTM curriculum gurus makes it one of the most valuable and educational boards that I visit. It doesn't bother me at all that not everyone follows WTM or Classical here---especially since I was just thinking how irritating it is on my other frequent HS chat board how nasty those moms can get when you question or criticize a particular part of THAT curriculum that is not working..............:glare:

and read it, folded pages over, paperclipped pages, underlined, memorized and planned.......but alas SWB Classical is not for my kids :tongue_smilie: We are SO eclectic, and so frankly the other homeschool boards I frequent usually are ones where THAT particular curriculum is discussed and pumped and if you are not a Guru of that curriculum---you kind of get ignored or flat out dissed because you don't follow THAT curriculum 100%. The incredible traffic on this board, coupled with the incredible numbers of 'everyone' and not just WTM curriculum gurus makes it one of the most valuable and educational boards that I visit. It doesn't bother me at all that not everyone follows WTM or Classical here---especially since I was just thinking how irritating it is on my other frequent HS chat board how nasty those moms can get when you question or criticize a particular part of THAT curriculum that is not working..............:glare:

why whatever could you mean???;););):D

I am only on page one of the replies, but I am one of *those* people you are talking about. I accidently stumbled upon these boards when looking for a forum to research curriculum on. These boards are so much more active than any other HS boards I have seen, that I decided to stick around. It is through these boards I learned about TWTM. I have learned more since I have been here about HS than in my months of research prior. There is just a lot of information here.

I had seen an old version of TWTM at the library and it was so old and worn I left it there, had no idea it was a type of HS, just thought it was one of the endless books on our failing education system. Now I am awaiting my copy of TWTM that I ordered, and when it is read, I will weigh in on the approach we will take. At this point, I am guessing our approach will be eclectic.

Guest sarathan

Well, I haven't read that book. Not because I don't follow or agree with WTM, I'm just really burnt out right now on reading homeschooling books, lol. I really don't know what "type" of homeschooler I am.... eclectic I suppose. I like this board because it's busy and there's lots of homeschoolers here! Every time I come here, there are always new posts and if you post a thread of your own, you're pretty much guaranteed at least one resonse, lol. :) Everyone here seems real nice too and there's all different types of homeschoolers....laid back, more structured, etc.

By this measurement, then, I am "not welcome" because I do not at all agree with some of Mrs. Bauer's perspectives.

I have read all three editions of the book, so thought I could "swim in the pond."

I am disappointed to read this comment on a message board which I had gauged as comfortable hosting educators who espouse a variety of philosophies, but who draw upon elements of the WTM approach and who enjoy discoursing with and learning from other educators, many of whom hold differing beliefs. People here have treated me kindly and very, very helpfully. I appreciate this greatly !

The only thing I have trouble with is people who come here and don't agree with Susan, and insult her character, philosophy or her work.

If you aren't one of these people, then welcome!

Edited by Orthodox6

Hey, who are you on the MDC board? It's funny, in general, I have more in common with the mamas there, but when it comes to HSing, I have more in common with people here too! Though lately, there's been more and more discussion of classical HSing there. Kind of funny...

I guess I'm more classical than not (probably like alot of folks). I come to this forum for one main reasons:

The comments and experiences of these persons are invaluable. They can turn a curriculum inside out, upside down, forward/backward ect. I absolutely need this as everything at a homeschool convention looks good to me;)

I don't follow the WTM exactly - we use CLE for our core subjects and living books for science and history. But, I have purchased and used every single resource Peace Hill Press sells and adore all of it - SOTW, FLL, WWE, History of the Ancient World etc. I will continue to use anything Susan or her mom writes in the future - I just hope the writing program and high school history books are completed in time for my kids to use them all!!

That said, I don't really think I'm a classical homeschooler or even a neo-classical homeschooler. Even though I'll teach latin as well as a modern language and I'm doing two cycles of chronological history/lit. I don't think our rhetoric path will look like a classical education. So, I suppose I'm a rigorous traditionalist. :001_smile: But, I think I will still find many kindred spirits on the boards!

I used to frequent the Sonlight board but when they closed that down to non Sonlight users there was really no where to turn for an active homeschooling board. Vegsource at one time was a very active thriving homeschooling board until they instilled so many insane rules that it drove most homeschoolers away. This board is more active then any others that I have seen. So this is where I come.