Menu

what do you do for Mother's Day?

I'm planning on a very special Mother's Day this year, where I act surprised when I'm given a whirlwind trip of Europe, followed by a week at an exclusive spa, and then another week on a tropical island.

That's my plan.

Sadly, my dh and ds probably have other ideas. :glare:

Cat

I may just take the kids and show up at her door on Sunday. Boy, that would be a surprise, huh?

It would be even more of a surprise if you took the kids, dropped them off at her door, and ran away.

You'd have to go back and get them, though... eventually... ;)

Cat

Well, my birthday is always right around mother's day (it is May 8) so my dh will usually get me one really nice gift and count it for both. Last year I got a MP3 player. 2 years ago I got a new sewing machine. We also go out to dinner or dh grills out food on each of the days so that I don't have to cook! (I love going out to eat for mother's day and for my birthday!)

For my mother, I always call and talk with her for a while. We sometimes bring flowers (she's over 3 hours away though.) For dh's mother, we are sometimes visiting them and she likes to have a gift card to buy a flower to plant.

I don't really see it as an important holiday, but do enjoy taking the day off from cooking and housework! :lol:

The kids and I usually give my mom, my grandmother, and my mother-in-law homemade gifts.

My siblings and I usually gift mom something she wants done, but hasn't yet gotten around to. Last year we painted her gazebo; this year we've been sorting and cataloging her old pictures. She still hasn't noticed that we took all of them from her house, so she'll be very surprised when we present her the completed albums.

We live near my mom, so we also do a special breakfast in bed before Mass, complete with handpicked flowers from her yard. We make sure to call my mother-in-law, who lives out of state. We also send handmade cards to aunts on my side - I grew up in a closely knit extended family, and choose to acknowledge ALL of the women who helped raise us .. whether they have children of their own, or not.

My son is now old enough that the past few years he has taken it upon himself to acknowledge me. The past two years, he has written me very lovely letters. Sweet, but not necessary - our primary focus is my mother, and my son knows that he can best honor me by honoring my mother. Hallmark-holiday or not, I jump at every opportunity to show her how much we appreciate her :)

My husband always buys me a corsage to wear to church. I'm always the only mom with one in our casual church - but he loves it! The children usually set me up with coffee and piles of books and magazines in my bed while they play with dad. They love to come and check on me to be sure I'm resting. It's fun! Our moms enjoy nice gifts!

My kids make me breakfast in bed. So sweet. Toast and a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice. Sometimes it is toast, eggs, and a glass of juice. I like to veg on mother's day. Do a little yard work, read a book. We used to have my mother over for brunch but now she lives in AZ. It is an ongoing battle with my MIL. She wants us to go to her for mother's day. I don't. It caused a big arguement one year between dh and I. I pointed out that we spend every father's day with his father because that is what he wants to do on father's day and I was entitled to the same courtesy.

Mr. Ellie takes me out to dinner somewhere special. He doesn't ask me where I want to go; he plans it and takes me there.

I don't do church on Mother's Day. My heart aches for my own mother, and all the warm fuzzy stuff churches usually do then just make me cry.:crying:

We go see our moms the week before and take a card and something to plant, either a rosebush, tree, or perinneals. We visit and plant the things before we leave. My mom lives on top of a big rock and planting requires a rock buster and lots of muscles. Nothing gets planted on her place unless dh plants it. On Mother's Day, we both call our moms.

For me, I start with breakfast in bed and lots of cards and pictures from the little ones. I get a rosebush and dh and the boys plant it after I pick a spot. We make stepping stones with the childrens footprints in them. The children give me gifts they made. Dh and I finish the day with a candlelight dinner (made by me), movie, and icecream.

Melinda

I'm planning on a very special Mother's Day this year, where I act surprised when I'm given a whirlwind trip of Europe, followed by a week at an exclusive spa, and then another week on a tropical island.

That's my plan.

Cat

:lol:

I told dh I'd like to take a long bath and go out for Tex-Mex. Often the finale of Survivor is on that night and I'm a fan. It's my total guilty pleasure. The rule is I get to watch and noone can mock me. ;)

Not sure what I'm doing for my Mom, we go to the beach with her the next week and we'll take her out somewhere for lunch probably. I need to come up with some kind of present. It's usually something the boys help make her.

ETA: Sadly, dh's mom passed away many years ago. Just adding that so it doesn't sound like we just leave her out.

This type of holiday bothers me....seems a little artificial, like something created to sell more stuff. We usually spend the day working outside on the yard, because it's something that needs to be done, and I really enjoy it. We don't do anything other than a phone call to our moms.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! My dh and I grew up being forced to celebrate Mother's Day for moms whom we felt did not deserve a day for themselves and today we have to lie our way through cards and phone calls because we just don't care, as horrible as that sounds. Our moms are selfish and terrible so we don't feel the burden to celebrate them. As for me, I don't want Mother's Day celebrated because I, too, feel it is artificial and I hate attention on me. Plus I don't think I'm that great of a mother so if my dc want to call me when they are older or send a card then great, but for now they won't be forced to do anything. Edited by LuvnMySvn

Honestly, in the past dh and I have ended up in a terrible argument. :sad:

He has had some understandably negative issues towards his bmom, and his amom is a challenge, so he has some issues when it comes to celebrating motherhood.

I *think* we've finally got them sorted out now (after 5 years, lol!) so hopefully this year will be different. I think he understands now that this is now about celebrating the mother of his children, rather than the mother(s) he had.

Nicest thing my dh ever said to me was when we were talking about this Mother's Day issue..."I wish I had a Mom like you." :grouphug:

This type of holiday bothers me....seems a little artificial, like something created to sell more stuff. We usually spend the day working outside on the yard, because it's something that needs to be done, and I really enjoy it. We don't do anything other than a phone call to our moms.

:iagree:

Dh just bought me a new bicycle and I claimed it as an early Mother's Day gift.:D Now I realize maybe I shouldn't have done that since I could have gotten something else. :001_huh:

We don't do anything really special. We go to church and dh and dd give me a card and perhaps a small gift. We keep holidays very low key here in our family.

Usually, we all go out for brunch and invite MIL (and FIL if he would like to) to join us. My parents live in another state, so I call and talk to her on that day.

DH and the kids normally get me a group gift and DH leaves the house with the kids in tow or takes them all up to our room for movie in bed day, to give me a break.

We pretty much do the same thing for fathers day, just reversed.

We don't acknowledge the day at all, except that I call my mom (it's important to her, not to me). Dh calls Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Valentine's Day "Hallmark Holidays". While the original intention was probably admirable, they've been turned into major marketing campaigns.

If we do anything at all, it usually includes dh taking the kids somewhere without me, leaving me in the house all by myself. Bliss!

This year, though, the two older kids are going to camp for a week starting the day after Mother's Day. We'll probably do something together as a family that weekend, but more for the kids, not for me.

This will probably sound selfish, but I have identified what I want as a gift for Mother's Day. If I'm not pretty specific I'll wind up with something really lame. I dearly love my husband but a good gift giver he. is. not. So I have made it clear that I want a really nice new butcher block cutting board. That way since I have to get a gift, it'll be something I want and will use.

But the day will be spent celebrating our moms. Unfortunately my mom is out of state, so I am getting to work this week on something the kids can send her. I saw on a great blog once an idea for hand carving Caress soaps into shapes like little bath soaps. I think the grannies would love that! If not that, something handmade. And the kids will make them cards too. We'll call my mom, and have lunch with dh's mom. I am tempted to ask that we have lunch out or grab a bucket of chicken so I can have one day off from cooking!

My idea of bliss would be that we get home from church and dh disappears with the kids for the rest of the day. I don't care where, just don't return until after they have been fed dinner, are in their jammies, and ready for bed! Don't think that'll happen.

Tell me that I am not the only one that spends the entire day cooking and entertaining for the benefit of all the mothers in my extended family. I do an annual brunch and have my parents, my sister and her family and my in-laws over. We used to go out to a nice restaurant each year with my extended family, but then there was pressure to include the in-laws, so I started doing brunch at my house. Last year, my in-laws decided it would be more pleasant to spend the day at a polo match with friends than spend it with us. If they do that again this year, I'm hoping to revert back to plan A.

Lisa

Guest janainaz

My MIL died a few years ago, my mother is incognito and as for me... I don't make plans, I don't expect anything. It seems the bigger deal that is made, the less special it becomes because it's so forced. Last year we had a nice, lazy day and walked around a big, beautiful lake at sunset. It was the best day, don't know why, it just was. My son was walking with me and holding my hand - just a sweet day.

Mr. Ellie takes me out to dinner somewhere special. He doesn't ask me where I want to go; he plans it and takes me there.

I don't do church on Mother's Day. My heart aches for my own mother, and all the warm fuzzy stuff churches usually do then just make me cry.:crying:

Me, too. I've tried a couple of times but ended up bawling. My sons and husband know I'd rather we all go to the lake and grill steaks. Or, if dh is flying, I'll stay home, read on the porch swing, and play in my garden.

We send a card and small gift to MIL. If we were closer, we'd take her out for a nice lunch.

Both my mom and my mil have passed away. No siblings on either side have kids or the ones that do don't have a wife, so there are no other mom's to celebrate Mother's Day with me.

One special thing is my dd's 12th birthday happens to fall on Mother' Day this year, so that will be special. The last time that happened she turned 1! We'll enjoy the day and see what the rest of the family has in store for us. At least there will be a birthday cake.

Later in the week, I'll be celebrating a very dear friend of the family's 99th birthday. She is like a second mom in that she is the oldest woman I know that has been close to the family. Now that I've lost both of my mom's, I miss celebrating Mother's Day with them.

That's my plan.

Cat

I wanna go with Cat. That's the best Mother's Day I've ever heard of.

First of all, I'm estranged from my own mother, have been for years. I have no wish to get back in contact and am perfectly content with not having her in my life. (Thrilled and relieved might be better words.)

My mother-in-law, whom I did love very much, died several years ago.

Also, I'm not a gift person. I don't need anything or want much.

I'm also not crazy about being the center of attention (makes me feel like I'm expected to perform to demonstrate how grateful I am--more issues from my childhood).

It seems to often end up being a busy day. Frequently, the kids are in charge of the service at church that day, which means we have to show up early and such. And there have been three years when my son's dance recital has fallen on that day.

All I ever really want for Mother's Day is for everyone to be pleasant to each other and to me. And not having to cook would be nice.

But I don't seem to be able to get that day. So, I mostly encourage everyone to ignore it.