Menu

Do you teach your children that your faith is the only correct one?

And yet you use scriptures that Eliana would use, and she would never ever ever spell out the name of God. It would be terribly disrespectful for her not to spell it "G_d." Should we also keep that in mind for her and for others would cringe when they see The Name written out?

I'm not Christian, but I quote the Christian bible (and some would quibble with you and me not capitalizing "bible" -- there have been whole discussion about that!) all the time and will continue to do so because I pattern my life around many of the teachings of Christian scripture. The fact that I don't take its central theme to be the same as you do doesn't mean that I don't find wisdom there nor does it mean that I will throw it out like so much trash from my mind after these decades of reading, studying, absorbing, and memorizing it.

The book may be what you base your life and faith on, but it's not only your property, if that makes any sense. We're not urinating on it or setting it ablaze in a fit of pique. We're using it to guide our thinking in some areas. Perhaps the glass *is* half empty in my case, but perhaps not for others.

To scold someone of another faith for not using your scriptures the way you would or following your own traditions -- well, don't look too closely at me. I guarantee you that I'll disappoint you in my imperfection. I imagine you might find my lack of faith much more disrespectful than capitalization or not on a message board.

(The irony is that when Karen sn joined us, she didn't capitalize ANYthing. She took a lot of grief for that, too, I recall. Baby steps, eh, Karen? LOL)

Pam,

I am terribly sorry that I offended you so much. I asked a sincere question. I did not claim the bible as my property, and I would love to see others embrace it as the word of the one, true, living God. I guess I just don't understand why people who don't believe the same way would quote the book ordained and given by God. It's certainly not my place to scold anyone. We are all adults, and I'm sorry it came across that way. I'm just trying to stand up for what I believe, but maybe it's best for me to stay out of these types of discussions.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to figure out how to say this without starting any drama:001_smile:

If a person doesn't believe in something with their whole heart, how can it really be true?

How the heck did you get that adorable monkey face into your cup of latte? :D

astrid (who really thinks it's adorable, and smiles every time she sees your avatar!)

Well, Bill did say "their interpretation."

And, I'd be really interested to hear: Do all Christians believe this about the Holy Trinity? Do all Christians even believe in the Holy Trinity? I thought not.

Unitarian Christians have been with Christianity since the beginning. Some of the oldest Christians were ebionists who maintained Christ was not God so I'm guessing they were trinitarians. :)

It always gets tricky when people start talking about what Christians, as a whole, believe.

I guess I just don't understand why people who don't believe the same way would quote the book ordained and given by God.

They are using domain appropriate vocabulary. The rightness of a religion is not as black and white for some as others, as you're no doubt aware. I am not Christian, I don't even like Christianity but I still see the Bible as a useful document. If I was to reply to a CC post of yours, I would encourage you to go where God was leading you because we're talking about your life (and therefore beliefs) not mine.

Make sense?

:)

Rosie

They are using domain appropriate vocabulary. The rightness of a religion is not as black and white for some as others, as you're no doubt aware. I am not Christian, I don't even like Christianity but I still see the Bible as a useful document. If I was to reply to a CC post of yours, I would encourage you to go where God was leading you because we're talking about your life (and therefore beliefs) not mine.

Make sense?

:)

Rosie

Thanks Rosie. I will absolutely admit that I am ignorant when it comes to different religions/beliefs. I live in the bible belt, and most of the people in my family are Christians. I grew up in a Christian household and gave my life to Christ at an early age. As I've gotten older, I've met more and more people who aren't Christians, and have several very dear friends who are not.

I am trying really hard to be understanding and ask questions respectfully. I am just curious, not trying to offend or start arguments. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Hmmm, I am not real good at getting my meaning across on the forums, I guess. My thought was to the OP...for example, if I cannot say for certain that God is the only true God, if I allow that maybe some other god is real...why would I want to believe that? How could I live a life of service and faith to a God that I only think *might* be real? There would always be that thought in the back of my brain, "well, who knows if doing this really matters?" And where would be the comfort in times of trial if I wondered if a loved one was really going to Heaven or if it was just a story?

As for the aspects of Christianity that I mentioned, the only one I can think of that other Christians might differ on is the fact that salvation is a free gift from God. Was there something else I missed? And I believe that fact really is huge. It is a deal breaker for me. Why believe in a God that can't get the job done?

as for the monkey on my latte, I searched for a picture of coffee and found that one. Perfect for a coffee addict with a house full of monkeys!:001_smile:

I hope I haven't offended anyone, it was not my intent. These discussions are a great way to practice voicing our beliefs in a way others can understand. Iron sharpening iron.

If a person doesn't believe in something with their whole heart, how can it really be true?

I am not following your logic here. Faith and truth are not dependent on each other. Just because you believe something to be true with all your heart, doesn't make it so. Equally the fact that I do not believe it to be true does not mean that it is not. Something either is or is not true and your beliefs on the matter make no difference one way of the other.

In addition to what you said, there's another unreconcilable aspect: In Buddhism the goal is nihilism. The Buddhist rejects created reality in an effort to get to nothingness/nirvana. The Christian embraces Creation as a good gift of God. The goal of the Christian isn't nihilism, it's everlasting life -- a new heaven and a new earth, and more importantly, a relationship with Someone other than ourselves. This relationship -- the Trinity, which Christians imitate when we love one another, has no counterpart in Buddhism. Reincarnation is incompatible with the Incarnation. There might be coincidences, but the goals of each religion are diametrically opposed.

There is a comparison here http://www.religioustolerance.org/buddhism4.htm And upon viewing that, they conflict to the point that one cannot be a Buddhist and a Christian. They contradict each other.

One is based on a person that is both Deity and Human, born of a virgin, and resurrected after death. The other denies that such happened. One believes that everyone will spend eternity in either a heaven or a hell. The other denies that.

Buddhism does not require either a belief or a non-belief in any deity. Yes, generally speaking, Buddhists do not believe in a god, but it does not follow that Buddhism requires such non-belief. The heart of Buddhism is the teaching of Siddhartha and the Eightfold Path. Different sects have different traditions, much like Christianity, but the heart is the same. The Buddhist path to a peaceful, moral life is, as the article states, very similar to that of Christianity. This is why I feel Christianity and Buddhism are inherently compatible.

One thing the article does not get right, though, in my opinion, is the topic of afterlife. It states Buddhists believe in a continual cycle of birth and rebirth. I don't think this is a universal Buddhist belief, and it is something we, as a family, do not believe. We do believe in Karma, though, which is kind of similar to heaven and hell (i.e., you make your bed, you have to lie in it.) ;)

In addition to what you said, there's another unreconcilable aspect: In Buddhism the goal is nihilism. The Buddhist rejects created reality in an effort to get to nothingness/nirvana. The Christian embraces Creation as a good gift of God. The goal of the Christian isn't nihilism, it's everlasting life -- a new heaven and a new earth, and more importantly, a relationship with Someone other than ourselves. This relationship -- the Trinity, which Christians imitate when we love one another, has no counterpart in Buddhism. Reincarnation is incompatible with the Incarnation. There might be coincidences, but the goals of each religion are diametrically opposed.

But that would depend on the type of Buddhism (just as beliefs differ within the branches of Christianity).

I'm not well versed in Buddhism, but I do agree with many of its philosophies. I just believe that "reincarnation" occurs within one lifetime. Not a physical death and rebirth, but growth and wisdom and change. As far as I can tell, that shouldn't be incompatible with Christianity.

I

n addition to what you said, there's another unreconcilable aspect: In Buddhism the goal is nihilism. The Buddhist rejects created reality in an effort to get to nothingness/nirvana. The Christian embraces Creation as a good gift of God. The goal of the Christian isn't nihilism, it's everlasting life -- a new heaven and a new earth, and more importantly, a relationship with Someone other than ourselves. This relationship -- the Trinity, which Christians imitate when we love one another, has no counterpart in Buddhism. Reincarnation is incompatible with the Incarnation. There might be coincidences, but the goals of each religion are diametrically opposed.

Oh my goodness! Where did you get this idea that the goal of Buddhism is nihilism? This is absolutely not true. I don't know -- maybe there are some extremist sects which call themselves Buddhist and profess this to be the case.

But that would depend on the type of Buddhism (just as beliefs differ within the branches of Christianity).

I'm not well versed in Buddhism, but I do agree with many of its philosophies. I just believe that "reincarnation" occurs within one lifetime. Not a physical death and rebirth, but growth and wisdom and change. As far as I can tell, that shouldn't be incompatible with Christianity.

So now you are saying there is differences of belief in Buddhism? I wonder if that is a factor for every single religion out there including Pagan/Wiccan (I was raised by Wiccans and it turned me off completely). And then I'm guessing agnostics and athiests have different beliefs. Interesting.

Buddah never said he was a god or to worship or sacrifice to him.

He explained a PEACEFUL way of living.

Much like Mary's son Jesus (who was by the way Jewish).

AND FURTHERMORE

I know Christians (EXTREMELY EDUCATED) who would tell you that the command in the Bible originally stated that there were to be no images made to represent god. These people won't even have a picture of Jesus in their house because they feel it's sacriligious.

Riligion is a many fauceted thing.

The Bible is crammed packed with scripture about God being a jealous God and not sharing that position with another. There is a difference between building an idol to represent God and worshipping a false god. We aren't to build an idol but we also are to have no other gods before Him. Well-eduated Christians don't mean as much as whether they believe the Bible IS God's written Word to mankind and inerrant. I do believe that religion is a many-faceted thing, obviously because there are many religions with many beliefs in them. I believe Christianity has some majors and some minors. The majors are the keys. One of the majors is that Christ is the only way. The Bible says: "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it." I think there are many who have found some wide gates and broad paths that don't line up with God's Word, many well-educated Christians who Christ will say "I never knew you."

Teresa

AND FURTHERMORE

I know Christians (EXTREMELY EDUCATED) who would tell you that the command in the Bible originally stated that there were to be no images made to represent god. These people won't even have a picture of Jesus in their house because they feel it's sacriligious.

I'm a Christian that does not believe in having images of Christ...but for the life of me, I can't fathom what this has to do with what was said or Buddhism :confused:

Guest Virginia Dawn
There is a comparison here http://www.religioustolerance.org/buddhism4.htm And upon viewing that, they conflict to the point that one cannot be a Buddhist and a Christian. They contradict each other.

One is based on a person that is both Deity and Human, born of a virgin, and resurrected after death. The other denies that such happened. One believes that everyone will spend eternity in either a heaven or a hell. The other denies that.

There are those who call themselves Christian Buddhists. Pierce Brosnan claims to be one. I imagine that they see the practice of philosophic Buddhism as a way to carry out some of the principles that Jesus taught in a structured way. Of course, they can not bind those practices on other Christians, but maybe it helps them to be more focused and carry out their Christianity in a way that they might not otherwise. For them, Buddha was not divine but a wise (human) teacher.

Wisdom from above is pure, peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy, and good fruit, impartial, and sincere. James 3:17

I believe true wisdom is from God no matter where it is found. The trick is to be able to recognize it and separate it from teachings that would hinder or oppose Christianity.

So now you are saying there is differences of belief in Buddhism? I wonder if that is a factor for every single religion out there including Pagan/Wiccan (I was raised by Wiccans and it turned me off completely). And then I'm guessing agnostics and athiests have different beliefs. Interesting.

Absolutely. I can't think of a single religion that is monolithic.

For instance, take your use of "Pagan/Wiccan" ;). The term "Pagan" is not the name of a single religion as "Christianity" is. It's an umbrella term including a host of religions that are as different from each other as chalk from cheese. Wicca is only one Pagan religion and there are a great many different varieties of Wicca itself (some of which don't accept some of the others as "real" Wicca:)).

Given your background, btw, you might find the book "Triumph of the Moon" by British historian Ronald Hutton to be interesting. It traces the rise of Wicca and the overall Neopagan movement in Britain. The second half of the book is a very detailed account of the beginnings of Wicca in Britain, how it splintered into different groups, how it crossed to America and became mixed with radical feminism and was imported back to Britain to change the face of Wicca there. Absolutely fascinating.

To answer the question, yes. If dd doesn't believe in the Force we will send her to exile in the Degobah system. :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, I would never think of teaching any child that only one way of religious thinking is the right way any more than I would tell her what books to read, music to listen to, hobbies to pursue. The world is a big place full of different people, places, and ideas. I trust that whatever it is my child grows up to believe about religion, or anything else for that matter, she will be a great human being. There are things having nothing to do with religion that I would like dd to grow up to believe, but I know better than to think a child is some sort of robot I can program. I'm not raising a mini version of myself or my dh. I'm raising a human being who (hopefully) is capable of independent thought.

KidsHappen,

I hope the reply above clarified what I was trying to say. I'm not saying whether one believes something is true or not makes it true/not true. That would be new age-ish, I think. I know there is a name for that belief, but I can't remember it. I'm trying to say, why believe in something you don't believe with your whole heart is true? If a Christian can't say without a doubt that God is the one true God, how can they ever expect to witness or spread the Word with any authority (which is what we as Christians are told to do in the Bible)?

I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around anyone saying they believe something to be true, but being open to the possibility that it might not be. How can they believe it then? Isn't that a contradiction to the very meaning of a belief? In trivial matters, I can understand. I certainly believe a white chocolate mocha from Starbucks is the bomb, but my dh can't stand coffee in any form. And even some points of religion, like keeping the Sabbath and other matters of Christian liberty. But on matters as weighty as who God is, what salvation is, who Jesus is...those are black and white issues in my mind.

That's it for me. I'm afraid I have muddied the waters enough. I don't want to do disservice to my Lord or fellow believers with my poor attempts at articulating what I believe. :001_smile:

We don't tell our kids that our faith is right and other people's is wrong, but we do tell our kids that the world works in a certain way, and it still works that way even if other people believe differently. We also tell our kids that most religions are not necessarily at odds with our faith's core teachings, even if they miss the mark on how some things work.

But our religion has room for everyone, even those of another/no religion, because our religion does not include the idea that people are punished for not worshiping a divine being. There is no "separation from God" idea in our faith.

Our life is populated with friends and family of many different faiths/no faith at all, so our kids have learned young that there's room for everyone.

Tara

KidsHappen,

I hope the reply above clarified what I was trying to say. I'm not saying whether one believes something is true or not makes it true/not true. That would be new age-ish, I think. I know there is a name for that belief, but I can't remember it. I'm trying to say, why believe in something you don't believe with your whole heart is true? If a Christian can't say without a doubt that God is the one true God, how can they ever expect to witness or spread the Word with any authority (which is what we as Christians are told to do in the Bible)?

I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around anyone saying they believe something to be true, but being open to the possibility that it might not be. How can they believe it then? Isn't that a contradiction to the very meaning of a belief? In trivial matters, I can understand. I certainly believe a white chocolate mocha from Starbucks is the bomb, but my dh can't stand coffee in any form. And even some points of religion, like keeping the Sabbath and other matters of Christian liberty. But on matters as weighty as who God is, what salvation is, who Jesus is...those are black and white issues in my mind.

That's it for me. I'm afraid I have muddied the waters enough. I don't want to do disservice to my Lord or fellow believers with my poor attempts at articulating what I believe. :001_smile:

OK, thanks. I believe that I have a better understanding of what you were trying to communicate now. Oh, and I absolutely agree about white chocolate mocha. :tongue_smilie:

So would you go to the point of saying Christians and Jews worship different Gods?

Bill

Answering this from a Christian perspective:

I would say that Jews and Christians worship the same God.

Christians believe that Jesus is the fulfillment of all of the covenants/prophesies of the OT.

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the fulfillment of those things. They are still awaiting the Messiah.

In contrast, Allah of the Muslim faith has a totally different personality than the God of the Jews (and Christians), so to speak - Allah and the God of Christianity are not the same. Muslims do not await a Messiah. Yes, they claim the God of Abraham....but that's where the similarity ends.

RE original post:

And - yes I believe my faith in Jesus is "The Way The Truth and The Life" If I didn't believe that I wouldn't be a Christian. I do NOT think that Christians are "better" people. I do NOT wish to force anyone to believe as I do. I do however value GREATLY my freedom to worship, my freedom of speech, and my freedom to teach and train my children.

Honestly, when I hear people speak about the horrid idea that someone would actually teach their own children that their faith is real, it makes my skin crawl...b/c I hear the desire to take away my freedoms. jmVho. (not that I think anyone here would purposely want to go down that path...)

I haven't read any of the other replies, so I have no idea whether or not I'm in the minority or the majority.

But, yes, I teach my children that our faith is the only "correct" one.

We also discuss other religions: what they believe, why they believe it, and how it compares to our faith. And then, ultimately, why I believe our faith is the correct one.

I pray, pray, pray that my children will embrace our faith as their own as adults. But each of them, at some point in their lives, will ultimately have to choose for themselves.

Yes. Either you believe in an absolute Truth or you don't. If you do believe in an absolute Truth than you must teach that to your child. We discuss other religions respectfully. We don't in any way denigrate other beliefs and we explain enough about the different religions to find hints of that absolute Truth, but there is only one belief that has the fullness of the Truth and my chlidren no beyond a doubt what that is. It is their choice to accept it or not.

Absolutely. I can't think of a single religion that is monolithic.

For instance, take your use of "Pagan/Wiccan" ;). The term "Pagan" is not the name of a single religion as "Christianity" is. It's an umbrella term including a host of religions that are as different from each other as chalk from cheese. Wicca is only one Pagan religion and there are a great many different varieties of Wicca itself (some of which don't accept some of the others as "real" Wicca:)).

Given your background, btw, you might find the book "Triumph of the Moon" by British historian Ronald Hutton to be interesting. It traces the rise of Wicca and the overall Neopagan movement in Britain. The second half of the book is a very detailed account of the beginnings of Wicca in Britain, how it splintered into different groups, how it crossed to America and became mixed with radical feminism and was imported back to Britain to change the face of Wicca there. Absolutely fascinating.

I'm almost tempted to get the book. I have a very curious nature. Unfortunately, my time and my sisters' time in that environment was very, very detrimental. My sisters were molested in that environment. It's just not something I can bring back into my life. Thanks though.

No, I don't. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I believe he is God. He was fully human and fully Divine here on earth, crcified, dead and buried. On the third day he rose and sits on the right hand of Father God almighty.

But my God is too big, too gracious, too all knowing, too concerned with the welfare of all to offer an exclusive religion. Too much pain and terror has been perpetrated under the name of exclusive religion. The God of my understanding would not create a big cosmic joke whereby millions upon millions of people were socialized to believe and worship and yet be condemned to hell.

In 18 years in the rooms of AA I have seen god work in the lives of hundreds; many of whom did not call him Christ but were more spiritual and God-centered than many Christians I have known.

I am familiar with the Christian scriptures that people use to support a Jesus only approach. I just think that interpretation is *socialized* and culturally driven rather than what God intended.

I do teach my kids that many Christians believe the only way to *be* Christian (and saved) is to believe exclusive doctrine but that's not my belief or experience.

I know less about other faith traditions, but I don't believe in exclusive doctrine from any spiritual tradition.

I can't imagine life without God or even a life of agnosticism as I have ALWAYS known there is a God; I just haven't always desired or been willing to be in relationship with Him.

No, I don't. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I believe he is God. He was fully human and fully Divine here on earth, crcified, dead and buried. On the third day he rose and sits on the right hand of Father God almighty.

But my God is too big, too gracious, too all knowing, too concerned with the welfare of all to offer an exclusive religion. Too much pain and terror has been perpetrated under the name of exclusive religion. The God of my understanding would not create a big cosmic joke whereby millions upon millions of people were socialized to believe and worship and yet be condemned to hell.

In 18 years in the rooms of AA I have seen god work in the lives of hundreds; many of whom did not call him Christ but were more spiritual and God-centered than many Christians I have known.

I am familiar with the Christian scriptures that people use to support a Jesus only approach. I just think that interpretation is *socialized* and culturally driven rather than what God intended.

I do teach my kids that many Christians believe the only way to *be* Christian (and saved) is to believe exclusive doctrine but that's not my belief or experience.

I know less about other faith traditions, but I don't believe in exclusive doctrine from any spiritual tradition.

I can't imagine life without God or even a life of agnosticism as I have ALWAYS known there is a God; I just haven't always desired or been willing to be in relationship with Him.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Janet

I teach my kids that our faith is the correct one and I teach them why. However, when we discuss other religions, we discuss them thoughtfully. I never allow my kids to mock or attack anyone who believes something different. I teach them how to share their faith when someone asks, but other than that, to just live properly.

We also focus on the importance of freedom of religion. That is the type of tolerance I really want to promote in them. They can be strong in their faith - strong enough to allow others to worship how they want while my kids stay true to theirs.

Interesting questions. I look forward to reading the responses. :)

This is pretty much how we operate as well. :)

Answering this from a Christian perspective:

I would say that Jews and Christians worship the same God.

Christians believe that Jesus is the fulfillment of all of the covenants/prophesies of the OT.

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the fulfillment of those things. They are still awaiting the Messiah.

In contrast, Allah of the Muslim faith has a totally different personality than the God of the Jews (and Christians), so to speak - Allah and the God of Christianity are not the same. Muslims do not await a Messiah. Yes, they claim the God of Abraham....but that's where the similarity ends.

What does this mean "different personality"?

Do you mean this in the sense that the conceptions of God have different temperaments and demeanors, or they are different entities? If it's the latter you should at least understand that Muslims believe they worship the same entity as Jews and Christians.

Also most Muslims believe in the coming of a "Mahdi" (or Guided One) that is very similar (but not identical) to the Jewish concept of a "Moshiach" (Messiah). And the similarities between Judaism and Islam don't end with worship of the same God. The faiths have a great deal in common, including a Muslim embrace of all the Jewish prophets, (plus Jesus) as prophets.

There are some definite differences between in a few of the Qur'anic re-tellings of Bible stories (such as substituting Ishmael for Isaac in the "binding" story) but in the broad brush these faith come from a common tradition.

Bill

Pam,

I am terribly sorry that I offended you so much. I asked a sincere question. I did not claim the bible as my property, and I would love to see others embrace it as the word of the one, true, living God. I guess I just don't understand why people who don't believe the same way would quote the book ordained and given by God. It's certainly not my place to scold anyone. We are all adults, and I'm sorry it came across that way. I'm just trying to stand up for what I believe, but maybe it's best for me to stay out of these types of discussions.

You didn't offend me. I'm not sure what about my post indicated that I'm offended. (??) I'm merely continuing the discussion and adding my own POV.

I answered your question because it was a sincere one, actually.

The "book ordained and given by God" in your (and many others') estimation, yes. But that's not how I see the book. And many MANY others in this world quote and read the Christian Bible without believing it is ordained or given by God.

I'm not sure that I understand -- are you saying that you don't know that people read and quote the Bible who don't believe it is the literal Word of God?

For me (and maybe Karen sn?), the Christian Bible is in my very pores. It permeates my thoughts and my speech to an extent that often I don't even realize it is shaping the cadence of my words. So I'm not trying to be offensive by using it. It just happens as I'm trying to express myself, especially when I'm talking about Important things of life and morality.

Unitarian Christians have been with Christianity since the beginning. Some of the oldest Christians were ebionists who maintained Christ was not God so I'm guessing they were trinitarians. :)

It always gets tricky when people start talking about what Christians, as a whole, believe.

See, that's what I thought.

I belong to a Unitarian Universalist church, and I know that our heritage comes in part from Christians who denied the trinity (and suffered for it). So, I was pretty sure that "all three from the beginning" concept was not universal.

You didn't offend me. I'm not sure what about my post indicated that I'm offended. (??) I'm merely continuing the discussion and adding my own POV.

I answered your question because it was a sincere one, actually.

The "book ordained and given by God" in your (and many others') estimation, yes. But that's not how I see the book. And many MANY others in this world quote and read the Christian Bible without believing it is ordained or given by God.

I'm not sure that I understand -- are you saying that you don't know that people read and quote the Bible who don't believe it is the literal Word of God?

For me (and maybe Karen sn?), the Christian Bible is in my very pores. It permeates my thoughts and my speech to an extent that often I don't even realize it is shaping the cadence of my words. So I'm not trying to be offensive by using it. It just happens as I'm trying to express myself, especially when I'm talking about Important things of life and morality.

Ok, I thought I had offended. I'm glad that I didn't. It's so hard on a message board to communicate effectively.

I do know that people read and quote the bible who don't believe it is the literal word of God. I guess that I am just having hard time understanding why. This board is exposing me to a lot of belief systems that I hadn't previously been exposed to. It is very interesting to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Well, sure. There are, I believe, two major "flavors" of Buddhism, plus variations that have developed in differnt regions over the years. (I hope someone with more knowledge than I have will correct me?)

And I, personally, know several pagans who all participate in the same group but have very different ideas about the basics.

There's a whole spectrum of folks on the agnostic/athiestic end, too.

To answer the question, yes. If dd doesn't believe in the Force we will send her to exile in the Degobah system. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

Seriously, I would never think of teaching any child that only one way of religious thinking is the right way any more than I would tell her what books to read, music to listen to, hobbies to pursue. The world is a big place full of different people, places, and ideas. I trust that whatever it is my child grows up to believe about religion, or anything else for that matter, she will be a great human being. There are things having nothing to do with religion that I would like dd to grow up to believe, but I know better than to think a child is some sort of robot I can program. I'm not raising a mini version of myself or my dh. I'm raising a human being who (hopefully) is capable of independent thought.

:iagree: This is very much the way we see it as well.

I have a strong spiritual understanding that is so inclusive that the issue of teaching my kids that my ideas are the only true ones is barely relevant (although I can see how people who have more fixed ideas could see that I am still teaching them a belief). I don't believe any religion has any exclusive access to Truth that is not available without that particular religion. Religions are paths, not prisons.

I love the earth/pagan religions from paganism to shamanism for their connection with Life and the spirit of Life, the trees, the earth, the sky and stars and animals and plants. It makes me feel deeply honouring of life, a small but worthy part of the whole.

I love Buddhism and Hinduism for their concept of enlightenment and their beliefs that all people can be enlightened, all people can be like Buddha or the various Hindu saints. And that there are living saints and enlightened beings walking amongst us today- its not all in the past.

I love Sufism for their absolute devotion to God.

I love Christianity for Jesus's unconditional love and mercy for all beings.

I absolutely love God, but my concept of God is not that there is a Christian God or a Muslim God, that God loves only certain people, or that I can ever be separate from God. God is the all loving conscious presence from which we ALL arise, are never separate from, and return to.

So, my children are exposed to many different ideas and I don't try and convince them to believe me, I just encourage them to think for themselves. So far, they don't agree with my perspective :)

I teach my kids that our faith is the correct one and I teach them why. However, when we discuss other religions, we discuss them thoughtfully. I never allow my kids to mock or attack anyone who believes something different. I teach them how to share their faith when someone asks, but other than that, to just live properly.

We also focus on the importance of freedom of religion. That is the type of tolerance I really want to promote in them. They can be strong in their faith - strong enough to allow others to worship how they want while my kids stay true to theirs.

Interesting questions. I look forward to reading the responses. :)

What she said. I couldn't say it any better. :001_smile:

If you say you believe something this is the definition

Believe:

1.to have confidence or faith in the truth of (a positive assertion, story, etc.); give credence to.

2.to have confidence in the assertions of (a person).

Truth:1. the true or actual state of a matter

2. conformity with fact or reality; verity

3. actuality or actual existence

Confidence:1.full trust; belief in the powers, trustworthiness, or reliability of a person or thing

2.certitude; assurance: He described the situation with such confidence that the audience believed him completely.

Those who teach that there is no one true religion, that it doesn't matter which one you choose. This is their "religion", their belief system, their one truth, and they teach it to their children. The only way not to teach ONE truth, is to not say anything at all. I don't think any of us here, refuse to have conversations with our children. WE ALL teach what we believe to be true.

As Christians we believe that Jesus is THE truth, THE way, THE life, because he said He was. If you are a Christian you must believe this, or you are calling Jesus a liar. To not believe this- is to not be a Christian.

I will be and am tolerant (believe stongly in the freedom of religion) of those, whose one way is- that there is no one way. Please be tolerant of us who have a differnt belief than you.

Edited by coralloyd

I don't believe any religion has any exclusive access to Truth that is not available without that particular religion. Religions are paths, not prisons.

You said "No religion has exclusive access to the truth." Is that the truth? If it is, then your belief is the only truth and therefore exclusive meaning you contradicted yourself because there can not be two truths that are contradictory. If it not the truth, than you have lied. I'm just pointing out the error in logic here and not calling you a liar.

Religions are paths, not prisons.

I can't follow the logic between the first part of that paragraph and this conclusion. What does it mean?

What does this mean "different personality"?

Do you mean this in the sense that the conceptions of God have different temperaments and demeanors, or they are different entities? If it's the latter you should at least understand that Muslims believe they worship the same entity as Jews and Christians.

Also most Muslims believe in the coming of a "Mahdi" (or Guided One) that is very similar (but not identical) to the Jewish concept of a "Moshiach" (Messiah). And the similarities between Judaism and Islam don't end with worship of the same God. The faiths have a great deal in common, including a Muslim embrace of all the Jewish prophets, (plus Jesus) as prophets.

There are some definite differences between in a few of the Qur'anic re-tellings of Bible stories (such as substituting Ishmael for Isaac in the "binding" story) but in the broad brush these faith come from a common tradition.

Bill

By "different personality," I mean a difference in attributes. Specifically, the teachings on God's justice and mercy and grace. This is a major dividing factor.

(trying to say this in a way that truly says what I mean...iykwim:lol:)....Both Christians and Jews put their faith in God's Redemptive Power. Jews look forward to THE Redeemer. Christians found their Redeemer in Jesus. Either way - we both recogize that people cannot ever please God. We are fallible and God is Holy, Pure, and Just. God is also Love, Mercy and Grace. We do not earn God's Love, Mercy or Grace - we *recieve* it. Muslims practice (what I call) a "works-based" religion. Meaning, an Islamic persons salvation depends upon their works on Earth - if they please Allah then they go to paradise, if not...then not. For the Christian (and Jew), salvation is completely based upon forgiveness - God is a Just God, yet always initiating Redemption (and that Redemption is a surrender of our own selfishness - aka repentance - and a recieving of God's Grace).

So when the name of Allah is used, even though their Allah is the God of Abraham - their perception of the God of Abraham is "skewed" from my pov. I suppose a Muslim would say the same thing, visa versa -LOL.

By "different personality," I mean a difference in attributes. Specifically, the teachings on God's justice and mercy and grace. This is a major dividing factor.

I guess I don't quite understand what you mean.

The attributes of the Muslim God and the Jewish God are little different from the view-point of my studies of these faiths. Muslims believe God is beneficent and merciful, but also can be just and punishing when circumstances demand, just like the God of the Hebrew Bible (who Muslim's believe is their God).

(trying to say this in a way that truly says what I mean...iykwim:lol:)....Both Christians and Jews put their faith in God's Redemptive Power. Jews look forward to THE Redeemer. Christians found their Redeemer in Jesus. Either way - we both recogize that people cannot ever please God.

Your use of the term THE Redeemer in regard to Jews makes me think you misunderstand the Jewish understanding of the messiah, who is not a divine incarnation of God, rather simply a just king-leader. There is a profound difference with Christian ideas about a Messiah as God position of Trinitarian Christians.

And as I explained earlier Muslims (most) believe in the coming of a Mahdi that is similar to the messiah in Judaism.

We are fallible and God is Holy, Pure, and Just. God is also Love, Mercy and Grace. We do not earn God's Love, Mercy or Grace - we *recieve* it. Muslims practice (what I call) a "works-based" religion. Meaning, an Islamic persons salvation depends upon their works on Earth - if they please Allah then they go to paradise, if not...then not.

This is simply incorrect. Muslims believe they are saved through faith, but are expected to pray, fast, give charity, perform the Haj if possible, and profess a faith in God as part of their faith practice. It's no different than Christians who pray, perform charity, or do other good works as an expression of their living faith. It's not the way to salvation, but a fruit of belief.

For the Christian (and Jew), salvation is completely based upon forgiveness - God is a Just God, yet always initiating Redemption (and that Redemption is a surrender of our own selfishness - aka repentance - and a recieving of God's Grace).

Exactly the same with Islam. The word Islam means finding peace (grace) in the personal surrender to God's will, giving up one's own selfishness to follow God's path.

So when the name of Allah is used, even though their Allah is the God of Abraham - their perception of the God of Abraham is "skewed" from my pov. I suppose a Muslim would say the same thing, visa versa -LOL.

I see your view is "skewed" but I humbly would suggest that you don't have a very good understanding of what Muslims believe (or don't believe) and that you might be very surprised at what you'd find if you looked deeper.

Bill

In Buddhism the goal is nihilism. The Buddhist rejects created reality in an effort to get to nothingness/nirvana.

This is absolutely not true; you have misunderstood. Nirvana is not "nothingness", it is not a rejection of reality. The very word Buddha means one who has awakened. Nirvana means truly seeing reality without our human "blinders" and limitations, it is a state of profound wisdom. Buddhists do not reject reality, but in fact attempt to overcome human delusions that prevent us from understanding reality.

Buddhism teaches The Eightfold Path, so it is not morally nihilistic.

Buddhism teaches The Four Noble Truths, so it is not epistemologically nihilistic.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting the Buddhist teaching of "emptiness" as being metaphysically nihilistic?

The Buddhist notion of emptiness is often misunderstood as nihilism. Unfortunately, 19th century Western philosophy has contributed much to this misconstruction. Meanwhile Western scholars have acquired enough knowledge about Buddhism to realise that this view is far from accurate. The only thing that nihilism and the teaching of emptiness can be said to have in common is a sceptical outset. While nihilism concludes that reality is unknowable, that nothing exists, that nothing meaningful can be communicated about the world, the Buddhist notion of emptiness arrives at just the opposite, namely that ultimate reality is knowable, that there is a clear-cut ontological basis for phenomena, and that we can communicate and derive useful knowledge from it about the world. Emptiness (sunyata) must not be confused with nothingness. Emptiness is not non-existence and it is not non-reality.

The rest of this article, including an explanation of the teaching of emptiness, can be found here:

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/emptiness.html

Besides the fact that this encourages critical thinking, it lets them know that I think there's no one right way of believing. You're definitely not alone.

If "there's no one right way of believing", then how can this statement be right?

Food for thought, indeed.

No. And neither did the Buddha. In most of the texts, he encouraged us to find out the truth for ourselves, by practicing. He said, "Here's what I found out. But please don't take my word for it."

And in reply to the "sky is blue" folks, we in Southeast Alaska can't use that to teach our kids the color "blue." And they get REALLY confused when books or poetry do. Our sky is gray, most every day. And that's our reality, our truth.

Julie

No, I don't. But I used to (although my kids are so young they don't remember that).

It took undergoing a radical change in my own religious beliefs to abandon the belief that there is One True Path. If I hadn't had the experience of feeling so convinced of something's rightness and then being so convinced of its wrongness . . . I just wouldn't have been able to understand. Christians who KNOW Christianity is the one truth sound a lot like Muslims who KNOW Islam is the one truth.

Now, I consider it part of "walking humbly" with God to recognize that I do not know how God is working in the lives of others and I should not assume that my spiritual experiences are somehow more valid than theirs.

I just had to say, "Great quote". No, I teach my kids that there are different ways of communing with God. For me, believing in God is key. It's important to be respectful of other's beliefs, which does not have to compromise your own.

Edited by sagira

You said "No religion has exclusive access to the truth." Is that the truth? If it is, then your belief is the only truth and therefore exclusive meaning you contradicted yourself because there can not be two truths that are contradictory. If it not the truth, than you have lied. I'm just pointing out the error in logic here and not calling you a liar.

Sorry, but my brain just can't process your issue with what I said. Maybe you have to be in my head to understand it- I am sorry if it doesnt appear completely logical.

I did say at the beginning of my post that I understand that people who have a fixed belief (as in, believe that Christianity is the only way to Truth) may take issue with my stance and also see it as a belief- fair enough, and it is. I just see Truth as beyond all religions, because it IS, it is self evident, not subject to belief or disbelief, religions or no religion. Either Truth is Truth or it isnt. Its not personal or subject to personal whims. I see all religions as people trying to access that ultimate, highest Truth through various means. And when someone finds it for themselves, others tend to follow.

We are born into religious cultures so mostly we don't choose our religion..in other words, many Muslims may believe they choose their faith, but just like Christians, they are born into it and choose it less than they like to believe. It "feels" right because that is the culture. But "free will" is just another belief, another religion.

I can't follow the logic between the first part of that paragraph and this conclusion. What does it mean?

That religion is a path rather than a prison? I see religion as a tool to find the truth, the highest truth beyond all beliefs and dogma, and that all religions at their deepest depths have that core essence (even Buddhism which I agree is a philosophy rather than a religion, but for this purpose I will bunch it in with other religions). All spiritual teachers have things in common, but we tend to emphasise the differences. I think most people imprison themselves inside their religion as a security instead of being willing to stand in the great Not Knowing of life. There is nothing wrong with following a particular path, 1000% totally committed to that- but when we become rigid, the path becomes a prison.