Menu

AM I the only one? :glare:

My mother never did the Easter bunny thing, and neither have I. It's foreign to me. Never mind replacing the candy - we don't have any to replace! :tongue_smilie:

Easter Sunday is just another Sunday at our home except church is more crowded than usual (I hate it - the crowd).

AM I the only one? :glare:

My mother never did the Easter bunny thing, and neither have I. It's foreign to me. Never mind replacing the candy - we don't have any to replace! :tongue_smilie:

Easter Sunday is just another Sunday at our home except church is more crowded than usual (I hate it - the crowd).

Our 18yod demands that we buy her NO candy. So we don't. Other dc request it though.

Even without the Easter bunny I wouldn't think this sunday would be like any other sunday......right? Easter is still a special sunday.

Our church does the passion of Christ every Palm Sunday and that is SO moving to me. I cry almost every year. It's the act of knowingly giving up that is POWERFUL!

Easter - yuck! Everyone comes to church who NORMALLY is never at church. It's ugly to me - the crowds - the dress up - for what?? Why aren't they there the other Sunday's of the year? Don't get me started!! :angelsad2:

I sing in the choir - so I'm guaranteed a seat. :tongue_smilie:

We LOVE Cadbury Mini Eggs and they can only be found this time of year.

That is part of the appeal, isn't it?:D When my husband sees the tell-tale wadded up foil wrappers, he knows I've been scarfing the Cadburys again! :lol: And my defense is always the same,"They'll be gone after Easter"!!

We don't buy Easter Candy. We usually buy small gifts for each of the kids - things we needed for spring anyway. But I package them up so they look fun!

The kids get candy at church that day. We also go out for lunch after Easter Services and they have lots of candy there for the kids. They don't need more than that! (And neither do I!)

Oh - and I gotta' say I LOVE the crowds at Easter!!! I wish our church were that full every week. But seeing our 1000-seat church full to overflowing a couple times a year is wonderful!!!

We do easter baskets with a small chocolate bunny and some spring-type toys. This year, ds9 doesn't believe anymore...so he picked out a computer game at Wal-mart to go along with his chocolate bunny. Little ds is getting a "bug collector" and a small, inexpensive microscope with his chocolate bunny. :)

Oh...and with dh, all bets are off! I got him a 1 lb chocolate bunny, Resee cups, snickers eggs, and some blue easter M&M's. :D (Did I mention that I get to SHARE with him???:tongue_smilie:)

I do buy some Easter candy for the kids and a little gift each. The kids are each getting a wooden sail boat kit that they paint assemble now and can use on the lake this summer and a few packets of seeds to plant in their garden.

I like giving gifts and my kids are not overly spoiled so I think it's ok for our family. :)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I buy Easter candies, but not specifically for Easter Sunday.

We LOVE Cadbury Mini Eggs and they can only be found this time of year.

Me too! Thankfully I bought a bag at the end of March because as far as I can tell they are GONE. They're supposed to be on sale at Target this week, but they were gone last week, and sure enough, the sale sign is there but filled with alternative chocolate egg candy because the Cadburys have been gone for a while now. I should try looking somewhere else, I suppose, but I don't *need* to eat them.

I put a little candy in the Easter baskets. I did see, Jean, that all the regular Brach's jelly beans are gone at Target too so I hope your dh likes all the other "fancy" kinds.

We don't do anything more special than any other Sunday except spend extra time and meals with family and in-laws.

Oh - and I gotta' say I LOVE the crowds at Easter!!! I wish our church were that full every week. But seeing our 1000-seat church full to overflowing a couple times a year is wonderful!!!

I agree it is wonderful to have a full church, but personally I feel sad when I think of all the churches that are over-flowing as you said "a couple times a year". I will just leave it at that since it is off-topic.

Our church does the passion of Christ every Palm Sunday and that is SO moving to me. I cry almost every year. It's the act of knowingly giving up that is POWERFUL!

Easter - yuck! Everyone comes to church who NORMALLY is never at church. It's ugly to me - the crowds - the dress up - for what?? Why aren't they there the other Sunday's of the year? Don't get me started!! :angelsad2:

I sing in the choir - so I'm guaranteed a seat. :tongue_smilie:

Would you rather they never go? Even if their motive for going is, as you imply, not the most pure, maybe something they'll hear that Sunday will plant a seed or change a heart. I wouldn't ever call a full church ugly, and I'd not be so quick to decide that because I haven't seen someone there regularly, they don't belong there. Maybe they're exploring. Searching. Trying. Could even be they're going to Grandma's church since it's Easter, clueless that they're being judged for poor attendance. Or maybe they're just there to show off their hat. Either way, it's between them and God.

Would you rather they never go? Even if their motive for going is, as you imply, not the most pure, maybe something they'll hear that Sunday will plant a seed or change a heart. I wouldn't ever call a full church ugly, and I'd not be so quick to decide that because I haven't seen someone there regularly, they don't belong there. Maybe they're exploring. Searching. Trying. Could even be they're going to Grandma's church since it's Easter, clueless that they're being judged for poor attendance. Or maybe they're just there to show off their hat. Either way, it's between them and God.

:iagree:

One thing that causes the churches to be extra crowded at holidays is that people travel to be with extended family. My aunt and uncle are at my folks house this week and they will all come to my town on Sunday to attend church with my son and his wife. In the past they all came to my town to attend church with me. That adds 4 people right there. But they are faithful church goers year round. I hope nobody judges them for only showing up at my church (and this year my son's church) once a year! My folks live 2 towns away but they show up at my church at holidays to be with their grandchildren. I hope they are not being judged.

I'm just sayin'.

I don't buy candy. We follow the Specific Carb. Diet and I don't buy hardly anything that isn't fresh or frozen produce. I like it that way.

We don't color eggs either. My ds is totally non tolorant of the coloring. It is bad news if he gets it on his skin or injests it sooooooo.

We do generally have company for Easter dinner.

We do the Easter Bunny, candy, big baskets of gifts... we're actually pretty excessive about it, but we have a lot of fun.

Think Santa in a rabbit suit and you'll get the picture! ;)

We also do an Easter egg hunt (indoors) where we hide dozens of plastic eggs with coins or dollar bills in them (mostly coins.)

Cat

We do the Easter Bunny, candy, big baskets of gifts... we're actually pretty excessive about it, but we have a lot of fun.

Think Santa in a rabbit suit and you'll get the picture! ;)

We also do an Easter egg hunt (indoors) where we hide dozens of plastic eggs with coins or dollar bills in them (mostly coins.)

Cat

We do it up pretty big too! No bunny suit but we do candy, the egg search, a small gift, the whole nine yards. I love the extra full church and the lunch afterwards! I love it all! We also do special Bible readings all week before, watch all kinds of movies and read all kinds of books about Christ and his sacrifice, attend special services, etc.

Easter is a celebration for us. It is the day Christ defeated death and that is a reason to celebrate!

Well, I put a little candy at the table for the kids just for something special, but it not a focus.

I wonder if it would help you to think of the crowds as people who are hearing the message of the ressurection who don't normally hear it. Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems like it would be a good thing!

It must be!

If they were here all year I'd have no excuse for stocking an entire pantry shelf with those lovely purple bags! :D

Yeah, but see, this is where they've messed up. I ALWAYS underestimate my need. I am out by January or so. If they were available year round, they would sell MORE! Those Cadbury people think they are tricky, but the joomkes onm thoem (I say with my mouth full).

We don't give gifts or candy on Easter. We just look at it as Resurrection day. My mom gives the boys something small. I look at it as something each family decides for itself -- not a big deal either way for me.

Now, I do buy half-price candy after holidays. :)

Oh, and I do love those Cadbury eggs. yum

that's back in the days when nice, gourmet fruit was sold at the corner fruit market. That would mean little to my kids since it's part of their everyday diet. Candy, on the hand, is not, and so their baskets are filled with it - all kinds - chocolate, cream eggs, peeps, skittles, and always a little gift like a book or piece of jewelry.

I like to think of all that candy as compensation for that which I never got when growing up :)

Yeah, but see, this is where they've messed up. I ALWAYS underestimate my need. I am out by January or so. If they were available year round, they would sell MORE! Those Cadbury people think they are tricky, but the joomkes onm thoem (I say with my mouth full).

I was going to tell you that they sell them at Christmas time too, but mine only lasted until January anyway!!!LOL:)

Just my two cents on the thread- We don't buy Easter candy either, at least not for Easter!

We start a week long study beginning Palm Sunday surrounding the final week of Christ's life, each evening we have scripture study and an activity. A few years ago I found this great book called A Christ Centered Easter: Day by day Activities by Joe and Janet Hales. It has done wonders for our celebration of Easter. We have a celebration of Spring around the first day of Spring with an egg hunt, and other fun Spring type activities.

We do mostly books, inexpensive ($5 or less) toys, art supplies, play jewelry/hairbows(obviously for DD lol), and so forth. The kids are sensitive to chemical food additives (we're a Feingold family), so most of the readily available candy is stuff they can't have anyway. They do each get a chocolate bunny and I buy two pounds of additive-free jelly beans to put in the plastic eggs. We do the egg hunt thing, about half the eggs have coins and the other half have jelly beans.

The boys are getting old enough that they don't care about their baskets, so next year we will probably just buy each of them one nice (but not $$!) gift. :tongue_smilie:

Our kids really only get presents for Christmas, birthdays, and Easter. So, for us it's important that they get just a little something.

OK well, I'm going to say it and risk a backlash....I despise Cadbury Eggs. :glare:

I buy some candy, but focus more on a few Spring toys to get us outside like a kite, bubbles, or a skooter. We never even mention an Easter Bunny.

The timing this year is great, because we just got to Jesus in world history this week.

I never did when my children were little. Now that they're teens and understand that it's not about the candy, I do. I prefer to call the holiday Resurrection Day or Resurrection Sunday and it's absolutely my favorite holiday. That's why I didn't want to spoil it for my kids with candy. We didn't dye eggs either until I learned that an egg is on the Seder plate at a Passover ceremony and is a symbol of temple sacrifice. Then I shared that with my kids and we did dye eggs. One of my favorite memories is when my youngest, about 4 at the time, took a dyed egg in each hand, held them up, and said, "These are special to God." It was just too cute.

We buy it the day after, when it's half price or better.... mostly because I'm picky about the chocolate we buy and it tends to be more expensive than, say, Cadbury Eggs.

I buy a chocolate bunny for everyone in the family. That's as much mention as the bunny gets around here. I still do a basket for the youngest. This year he gets a few candies and Madagascar 2. Everyone else gets a spring cup with a few candies.

Our emphasis is on the spiritual meaning of Easter.

PEEPS ARE DISGUSTING. There, I said it. That's one of those things that you aren't supposed to say but I did. It's out there now. I can't take it back. Moving on.... :tongue_smilie:

The only thing peeps are used for around here are wayward science experiments.

PEEPS ARE DISGUSTING. There, I said it. That's one of those things that you aren't supposed to say but I did. It's out there now. I can't take it back. Moving on.... :tongue_smilie:

We use them for dropping in liquid Nitrogen and freezing. Then we let the kids drop them on the ground...

We also put icing on them...and then don't eat them. Not sure quite what the purpose of this is except to get sticky...:001_smile: