Menu

Anyone manage to keep a clean house and get schooling done? Feeling like a slob

Today my neighbor came over to use the printer. What a mess! Then I needed something at her house. AHHHH, so clean. I suppose I could spend more time cleaning and less on the computer.:) I find this forum very addictive.

My neighbor has jokingly admitted she has an obsessive compulsive cleaning disorder, but it would be nice to have someone come over unexpectedly and not feel like a slob.

Any ideas? Flylady? Been there, done that, it works pretty well, but I am terrible with the follow through. I have learned a lot there though.

Oh, and my neighbor does have 3 children, so I have few excuses.

Nope, not really. Due to health problems and perfectionist tendencies, I HAD to learn to lower my standards. Our house is not company ready since we are messy people, but it is rather clean. I also have a cleaning woman 2 x's a month and she is worth her weight in gold. I am quite happy to give her part of my earnings from my part-time business to insure that floors get cleaned, the tub gets scrubbed rather than just wiped out, blinds get dusted and dust bunnies get shoo'd out of there. (I get out of my house and have something for me and she does the things that I really don't like to do.)

Another thing that helps is having regular chores for my kids and teaching them how to do them.

I keep my house and person tidy, both ready for an unexpected guest at any given time. We begin our school day promptly at 8:00 and conclude at 2:30 with a half hour lunch break each day at noon. The dog pees at 7:45 and 2:45, the cat box is emptied at 12:25, right after lunch. If you'd like, you can come to my house and I'll teach you how we do it here.

Just kidding!

We don't have a dog. laughing021.gif

Hang in there, hon'. It's crazy making, but I promise, it doesn't last forever. ((((momof4))))

laughing024.gif

Doran

When these sorts of threads start I hesitate to answer. I don't know if you're looking for someone to say, "Hey, it's okay. We're messy, too! We can't do it all!" or if you want to hear from someone like me. I think it can be done. We have have a wonderful homeschool, keep up with the laundry, and have a rather clean home.

I think getting into a routine in which cleaning becomes a regular part of your day is the key.

Cleaning the toilet, for example, is something I do every day. It's not my favorite part of the day by any means, but I make sure it gets done.

I wipe out the shower as I'm stepping out of it just before I go to bed. The dishes are done right after dinner, and the laundry goes in, one load at a time, so that it never gets behind.

I don't work well with a messy home or office, so that is part of my motivation. Additionally, the work of keeping a neat home is something in which we all participate. My husband sweeps up when he sees the need; the boys empty the bathroom trash cans on a regular basis, and help with any number of other regular chores.

I know I'd be a frustrated wife and mother if they didn't help out in some capacity. Is that the case with your family? Could your children be assigned some regular chores to alleviate some of your work load?

When these sorts of threads start I hesitate to answer. I don't know if you're looking for someone to say, "Hey, it's okay. We're messy, too! We can't do it all!" or if you want to hear from someone like me. I think it can be done. ...

Actually, Crissy -- I'm going to go on record to say that I'm really glad you just posted that. Two reasons: One, it helps me know that it is possible to have a life that feels organized and controlled, all the way through. And, two, it gives people permission to say that without feeling like they might hurt the OP's feelings.

We aren't perfect house keepers here. And, we don't always have the most wonderful school days. But, generally, we come close to both, when we all pitch in. At least, in somebody's eyes we come close. My own perfectionist self sees the pair of socks on the floor, or the crumbs on the tablecloth. I see the subjects we didn't quite finish, or the math test that went poorly. I forget to pay attention, sometimes, to the things we do well. To the fact that the beds got made, the dishes washed, the history read, the music practiced. And, still, it's good to have advice from others for the ways we might improve.

So, thank you. My tongue-in-cheek reply below thanks you as well. :rolleyes:

Doran

I have no help to give...I'm a slob as well. I didn't use to be a slob. I remember my clean apartment when I lived by myself. I used to wash and change my bedding once a week. I washed my bathroom and kitchen till they sparkled and they still looked clean the next time I went to clean them. Now with 3 dss and a dh, the place is always a mess. :( I know that one day my house will be clean again but oh so quiet.

For me...I get up and do what must be done before school. I swiffer dust, unload dishwasher and throw in the laundry, run the vacuum to pick up the dog hair. The house looks great and then school starts. It takes me 1 hour to do everything now...I have a pattern.

Also at night...everything is put away before bed time and tomorrows stuff is laid out.

This just helps me keep control of my crazy life. :D

Really, dh wouldn't live in a messy house and I probably wouldn't either. I have always been neat and organized. I really dislike clutter.

I guess for me, first and foremost, is just not to have excess STUFF. I don't even bring the mail in the house unless it's something I have to keep or a bill I have to pay. I go straight to the outdoor garbage with it on the way back into the house from checking the box and I THROW AWAY ALL OF THE JUNK MAIL!!

I file things that need filing. I throw out things that need throwing out. I do not keep things that aren't getting used. If I don't wear it for 6 months, I toss it. My kids do the same (actually, they clean before the seasons and, since they are growing, don't keep things they know they can't, or won't, wear again).

Our school stuff is organized, and I don't keep materials we aren't or won't use.

We do 2-3 batches of laundry DAILY, get them folded and put up. We rarely have a backup of laundry. Dishes are washed after each meal (and I don't have a dishwasher). All are dried and put away before I go to bed.

I sweep every day, vacuum weekly (we have tile floors, but I do vacuum them, the rugs and the furniture weekly because of our inside cat and dogs), and dust whenever the dust starts to annoy me (I do have terrible allergies so I don't dust as much as I should because it irritates my sinuses). I clean the bathroom weekly but wipe everything down when it's damp after a steamy bath. It just makes it easier to keep up with.

I guess just getting into the habit is what makes it work. I have just always liked a neat home. Even when my kids were toddlers I didn't have toys dragging all over the place. I always taught them to pick up a toy when they were done before dragging out more stuff. The toys had bins and containers and different types went in different bins. I labeled them, put pictures on them, whatever it took so the kids could learn to put things where they belonged. 3 of my 4 kids keep pretty neat, organized rooms. The other is a hopeless mess, but maybe she'll grow into it. After all, she's only 16!! ;-p

I don't know if any of this helps, but here it is FWIW!!

When these sorts of threads start I hesitate to answer. I don't know if you're looking for someone to say, "Hey, it's okay. We're messy, too! We can't do it all!" or if you want to hear from someone like me. I think it can be done.

Certainly, it can be done, and I don't think we have to pretend otherwise. I'm glad you and Stacey and Eliana all shared, and I can only echo what each of you has said. It's a matter of habit. I'm fond of structured regimes a la Flylady; I know that's beneficial for some, but to me it just complicates plain ol' common sense. Putting things away promptly (or at least relatively so!), cleaning as you go, and keeping "stuff" to a minimum are all useful reminders.

Pick a few things which will most boost your spirits and which you can work into your morning or evening routine easily.

Yup. This is true. Having said that, I'm afraid I'll probably never have most of you over :) because it's fairly chaotic here. (cringe) But things move along. It's important that kids know how to work as well as how to learn so we do that, even though it's hard and certainly not perfect. But we all like a cleaner space, right?

Some people just move at different speeds in different areas. Some people have bigger challenges than others. Do you have itty-bitty ones? A particular thing going on in your family that prohibits you from getting things done as you'd like? Or has it become a habit to not see things out of order until they're desperately so? I think the latter can sort of program one's brain and one day we wake up and think, "How the heck did this happen?"

I feel bad when things are a mess. Sadly, it's an inescapable part of this season of life: There's only one of me, I have little "entropy machines" perhaps beyond what some may be experiencing :o and there are only so many hours in the day. (I'm posting this at 2:11am!) So for now, I pick the stuff I can do, gladly accept help from whomever's walking by or passing through, keep coming up with crazy ideas to keep us all interested in being organized and tidy, and just do the next thing.

Somehow, it'll all be okay. Hugs to you, OP.

When these sorts of threads start I hesitate to answer. I don't know if you're looking for someone to say, "Hey, it's okay. We're messy, too! We can't do it all!" or if you want to hear from someone like me. I think it can be done. We have have a wonderful homeschool, keep up with the laundry, and have a rather clean home.

I think getting into a routine in which cleaning becomes a regular part of your day is the key.

Same here. Child labor helps too. And having a Golden Retriever forces me to dust and vacuum ever day. The back of my refrigerator I can't vouch for, I think I need one of those french door fridges.

My house is not as clean I would like it to be, but I am getting there. I have had to lower my expectations. Some days, the house is just going to look like a mess. That's okay cause there is always tormorrow. I can get started on the mess tomorrow.

A few things that have helped me to feel like life is not out of control is to spend less time on the computer. Last week, I weeded out all of my yahoo groups. I unsubbed from them all expect the ones that really, really help. I also weeded out my list of blogs that I read. I now only have a handfull of blogs in my Favourites section. I got alot done last week as far as keeping a clean house. So less time on the computer does help.

The second thing I do is have a schedule. I have times in my day that are for cleaning or other house related things. The night before, I think of the things that I want to do for the next day as far as cleaning goes. I limit my list to three things so I don't become overwhelmed. I have times in my day that are for house stuff so I try to get those three things done during that time. Also, it helps that my children are getting older. They have jobs every day that they do. I don't have to clean their rooms any more. They are responsible for that.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

Not much help here, but an encouragement that I think it can be done. I cringe when I hear friends say that they have to choose either homeschooling or a clean house. Personally, I feel that I'm following the Lord's lead for our familiy by homeschooling. I also believe that cleanliness and hospitality are consistent with biblical principles. So I can't ignore any of these categories. Now, my success is another matter entirely. But I'm not willing to throw in the towel and resign myself to living in a messy house. It's hard work, and it's a constant battle.

Cleaning the toilet, for example, is something I do every day. It's not my favorite part of the day by any means, but I make sure it gets done.

I wipe out the shower as I'm stepping out of it just before I go to bed. The dishes are done right after dinner, and the laundry goes in, one load at a time, so that it never gets behind.

I don't work well with a messy home or office, so that is part of my motivation. Additionally, the work of keeping a neat home is something in which we all participate. My husband sweeps up when he sees the need; the boys empty the bathroom trash cans on a regular basis, and help with any number of other regular chores.

I know I'd be a frustrated wife and mother if they didn't help out in some capacity. Is that the case with your family? Could your children be assigned some regular chores to alleviate some of your work load?

I was going to write this same post, but you said it much better (including the help from the kids and dh.) I also don't want to discourage others, but it can be done.

Routines help a lot. They take some time to establish but eventually you find something that works for your family. Also, having a mid-morning and mid-afternoon 10-15min time slot to tidy the house each child having their assigned task really helps or rotate upstairs/downstairs, main areas/bedrooms, bathrooms. etc

I think getting into a routine in which cleaning becomes a regular part of your day is the key. Cleaning the toilet, for example, is something I do every day. It's not my favorite part of the day by any means, but I make sure it gets done. I wipe out the shower as I'm stepping out of it just before I go to bed. The dishes are done right after dinner, and the laundry goes in, one load at a time, so that it never gets behind.

For me...I get up and do what must be done before school. I swiffer dust, unload dishwasher and throw in the laundry, run the vacuum to pick up the dog hair. The house looks great and then school starts. It takes me 1 hour to do everything now...I have a pattern.

I guess just getting into the habit is what makes it work. I have just always liked a neat home. Even when my kids were toddlers I didn't have toys dragging all over the place. I always taught them to pick up a toy when they were done before dragging out more stuff. The toys had bins and containers and different types went in different bins. I labeled them, put pictures on them, whatever it took so the kids could learn to put things where they belonged. 3 of my 4 kids keep pretty neat, organized rooms. The other is a hopeless mess, but maybe she'll grow into it. After all, she's only 16!! ;-p

Like they said - it is ALL in the habits. Start small - pick something that really bugs you and focus on changing that over a month's time. I like Flylady as well but don't stick to her methods (and I hate all those emails), but I took what I could use from her method.

I have checklists - one for morning and one for evening. I don't do things in the same order every day but everything must be completed before any "fun" stuff (like coming on here!). My morning checklist - make bed, shower and dress, swipe bathroom, do a load of laundry, feed family, unload dishwasher, 5 minutes cleaning a "hot spot" (pile of papers on my desk or table, etc). That's it. Nothing that will kill me - but by doing these things (especially the bathroom, laundry, dishwasher, and hot spot) my house is not as cluttered. Evening checklist -lay out clothes for tomorrow for me and dd, make sure kitchen is clean (I hate going into a messy kitchen in the morning), pick up any toys laying around (dd's job), and if floor is messy - quick swiffer. Once a week we take one hour to change bedding (gets washed and put back on the bed that day), dust, wipe down mirrors, vacuum, change all the trash. Sure, vacuuming could be done more often, but once a week keeps it manageable.

Sorry this got so long - but it CAN be done. Start small and change one thing at a time.

That said, I'm a mess. I can't seem to keep up with both. The reason I continue to fight though is simply because I'm convinced it can be done. Heck, I'm even convinced that, with the training of my kids as they get older, I can homeschool, keep the house at least tidy, learn to garden, preserve, and other projects now and then, like sewing. (Not all at once.)

I realize I don't manage things efficiently. I've been fighting it for years and I have become convinced that it's a combination of nature and nurture, and I was failed on both ends. :p

Honestly, those of you who keep it together, I just love hearing about your habits. Keep up the honestly and make sure, if you have a blog, that you blog about it too.

Yes, it can be done.

I'm not a neat freak, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like to keep a tidy house. Just don't peek in on Mondays, ok? ;)

I put my little helpers to work. They all have jobs to do. That goes a LONG ways. Surprisingly so at times.

Otherwise, a simple thing like throwing in a load of laundry as soon as I get up in the morning, makes a big difference. And as someone else mentioned, wiping down the shower as you walk out. Keep some cheap baby wipes in the bathroom too, to quickly swipe down the counters/sinks/toilets. Just to keep a handle on the mess. Then set aside 10 minutes to give it all a REAL cleaning once a week.

It can really help to take a look at how much time it honestly takes to do a job. If you're like me, some things don't get done simply because you procrastinate. But in reality, it's not worth it, the task takes a mere 5-10 minutes...come on! You can't argue that.

I can't do real schedules/routines. They freak me out. Too much pressure. I'm not a disciplined person. It has to be my 'my time', my way. :p

I'm really not sure HOW I get it all done, but, it happens. With just me and the kids doing the work. Hub's away at his job all day, he doesn't tend to the 'in home' matters. Only yard work. So, just me and 5 kids, ages 10 and under. We make it happen.

I do a little here, a little there. Those little 10-15 min. tidy time slots are a great idea. Hit your hot spots of clutter. Vacuum a room. You could even do the windows in that amount of time.

If you *want* to do it, you can. And it doesn't have to be stressful. :)

Yep. I can't function in chaos. My house is very clean, usually all the time.

Thank you Crissy!! This describes my house too. I cannot live in clutter. Toys strewn about as they are being played with don't bother me. But, when you're done - clean it up! Even my 2 yo does this now.

It's all about routines and keeping them up. I wipe down one shower wall a day, wipe down the toilets and sinks daily. A child vacuums up after each meal (takes three minutes) and usually one will mop quickly (under our eating table). We throw in laundry each night and fold during the day the next day. We just don't get behind. Dishes get done after each meal. (Dishes however, do pile up a between meals as we grab snacks!) Anyway, it's part of our routine.

I think what helps the most is starting with a clutter-free house. Go through your house one drawer at a time and get rid of STUFF!! Then, develop routines that work for you.

Thank you counselors. I didn't post to hear I am not the only one, but that helped too!:)

The ds have chores, we have laundry and toilet routines, throw away and sort mail before it comes in, and everyday at some point either the upstairs or downstairs gets completely clean, BUT it doesn't last very long. Right now I am in the "computer/school" room and It just looks disorganized. Little things out of place everywhere. I prefer to work in a clean home too.

I honestly think our largest problem is not picking up/putting away things after we are done with them. So, as many of you suggested I think I will start there. I know that probably isn't a baby step, maybe it is, but if we did that I think it would really help. Most of what I consider messy is books, clothes, toys, papers, and clothes on the floor and on counter tops. Since one part of the house is cleaned everyday, there isn't layers of clutter or old stuff, just new messes. If all goes well, I will report back in.

I also need a "get ready for Monday", Sunday night pick up. My house is awful Monday morning after a busy weekend of everything we don't do during the week. Kwim? And that was the morning the neighbor walked in.:)

I am encouraged and motivated. Thank you!

Purposefully have people over at least once a week. This is the motivation I need to bring the house back to stasis once (or twice) a week. We host a Bible study one night a week and often have people over for dinner often too.

I struggle like you do! But this at least helps it to get really clean now and then. Otherwise, my only suggestion is KETCHUP. Catch up here, catch up there... get disgusted enough with something to finally just do it. ;) And the whole family needs to be involved when it's cleaning time. I use a cheesy line that one of my old bosses used to use, "If you got time to lean, you got time to clean!" :D

I think that once again, perspective is everything. I've gone to very welcoming homes that are every bit as clean and as dirty (simultaneously) as mine, and the owners are comfortable and welcoming and feel that their house is okay - and they're right. I, however, have that neurotic, raised in the south mentality of having cleaned for a week and still greeting guests with the words, "Oh, the house is SUCH a mess!" My guys correctly surmise that I will ever greet even repair men with an apology about the house.

Different folks have different opinions about what really constitutes "clean". I've been to the homes of folks who think their houses are perfectly fine but I might have been afraid to sit down, if I could have found a place to sit down. Some folks can't abide a bit of clutter; and some are collectors who see all their stuff as beautiful antiques and collectibles.

So the real test is what makes you happy. If you're feeling stressed, then it must be that things are out of kilter from what you like/prefer/or are accustomed to in the normal course of your life. If this is the case, then I would start implementing some routines and enlist children to help out with those.

Such tasks can be done in the hour prior to starting school in the morning, over the course of the lunch break, and/or during the afternoon following school, as well as in the evenings and on weekends. Most simple household tasks really do only take about 5-15 minutes, when you start breaking them down. So you can really get more done than you might think when you begin to look at the component parts of cleaning, rather than thinking of the 'whole thing', which can certainly seem completely unmanageable.

You say your neighbor has 3 children, but are they homeschooled and in the house all day long? Is she? Our house was always spotless, too, when my husband and I both worked full time and had no children. I'm seeing less clutter this year because both my husband and my older son are out of the house all day long. When they're home on weekends or holidays, watch out!

I don't know what ages your children are, but if you start them helping with chores when they're toddlers, they'll be more proficient at doing everyday things for themselves when they're older. I was surprised when my youngest began attending Montessori pre-school at how much time during the day they spent on the children doing what amounted to household chores, such as washing out cloths, hanging them to dry, ironing and folding and putting them away; polishing silver, brass, and glass; sweeping up crumbs; washing their dishes after they had a snack, etc. These things were done to help them gain gross and fine motor skills, but they also helped them to learn independence and that sort of inner control that we all use to keep us on track during the course of our daily lives.

It's not a bad thing to ask your children to help with keeping their own rooms tidy; to pick up their things and put them away; to help with laundry chores; or to help with dish chores in the kitchen. When everyone in the family helps out everyday, just 30 minutes of decluttering and cleaning can make a world of difference.

And if your house still doesn't feel pristine and perfect to you (as is the case with me), then I move on to my corollary: children will generally only be in your house for around two decades and then they're off to live their own, adult lives. If educating them is most important to you, then do that and love them and enjoy them while you can. The house can be a museum in another time of your life. And then you can go to their houses and mess them up, LOL.....

Good luck,

Regena

I think that once again, perspective is everything. I've gone to very welcoming homes that are every bit as clean and as dirty (simultaneously) as mine, and the owners are comfortable and welcoming and feel that their house is okay - and they're right.

Regena

I grew up in a home where my mom was always stressing about the house. It is no fun at all, and I don't fondly remember how clean the house was, but rather how agitated my mom was.

To me, it's all about perspective. My messy is someone else's clean, and vice versa.

I love what you wrote, Regena.

I have to say , having a tiny house has helped. It doesn't take much to mess it up, but it doesn't take much to pick it up, either. After living in chaos for a decade, any sort of clutter makes me twitch, so I'm better at picking up than I used to be. Getting rid of unnecessary items helps and having furniture that stores things helps, too. I added a buffet and hutch to my kitchen. The buffet part holds utensils and dishes I don't use daily and the hutch holds every-day dishes, glasses and 4 small counter-top appliances. I moved the dishes into this to enable my dd to help with unloading the dishwasher. Before, she couldn't reach the cupboard to put things away. Now she can. *insert evil grin* Also, I got an armoire to hold our school books, binders, supplies, etc. I can close those doors and voila! Instant tidiness! My living room isn't ever going to be featured in House Beautiful, but it's comfy, mostly tidy and I can live with it. (Oh, and having a toddler around who likes to throw things in the trash helps, too!)

I have always been a messie, married a messie and we've passed down a lot of bad habits. When I was younger, I functioned just fine in clutter. Now that I have a family, it does bother me. I would like to not have a panic attack every time someone knocks at the door for fear of having someone see my messy house.

That being said, I do agree with the girls who keep it clean and attribute it to habits. It is possible. We did a big clean a few months ago, and I learned A LOT about myself in the following weeks. I was able to maintain the house--with much prayer--because I recognized that anytime I did not follow through with putting something back in the appropriate place or unloading the dishwasher so I could put the dirty dishes in it instead of in the sink I was losing a battle against my nature. Oh, the bad habits within me. The fight was as real as the one in 300, and as bloody :). But, as I said, I learned a lot about myself, and more amazingly I learned that a clean house is possible. It's all about holding your ground and not giving an inch or a foothold.

Unfortunately, we just went on a two week trip that has thrown everything off kilter. The house is once again a disaster. My plan is to do another big clean this weekend and start the battle again. My biggest problem is getting overwhelmed when it is in this state and not knowing where to start. Thankfully I have a wonderful dh who is happy to jump in the trenches with me to get it to a more manageable state.

Baby steps...as someone mentioned before. We have to re-train ourselves, and that is a very difficult thing to do.

upon seeing my laundry room/office, little-bit-of-everything room, said, "Wow, that's messy!". I just looked at her and said, "Yup, sure is!". Now, the sad thing is that her family homeschools, too, only there are only 4 kids! Her mom is sort of a neat freak, though. Me? I'd like to be a neat freak. I just don't have it in me!

I tried to edit the other post to reflect the update, but it didn't go through so I guess admin will move me, but I wanted to update and say thanks again.

The house is clean and the school work is done. I am not a slob today.;)

Whenever anyone got something out I would remind them during their play or work that they needed to put it back when they were done. Then when they were done if they didn't put it back, I asked again. I picked things up here and there all day. What do you know, the house is clean at the end of the day and now I can use my cleaning time to declutter my closet. YEAH. This is our new habit for this month, picking up after ourselves.

And it is true the neighbor doesn't homeschool and the dc that are at home watch a lot of TV/videos and my two little ds don't, but entertain themselves.

Everyone here feels better in a clean house and it wasn't that hard and no one is miserable because of it. I am so happy. Gotta go declutter!

Thanks again!

I tried to edit the other post to reflect the update, but it didn't go through so I guess admin will move me, but I wanted to update and say thanks again.

Whenever anyone got something out I would remind them during their play or work that they needed to put it back when they were done. Then when they were done if they didn't put it back, I asked again. I picked things up here and there all day. What do you know, the house is clean at the end of the day and now I can use my cleaning time to declutter my closet. YEAH. This is our new habit for this month, picking up after ourselves.

And it is true the neighbor doesn't homeschool and the dc that are at home watch a lot of TV/videos and my two little ds don't, but entertain themselves.

Everyone here feels better in a clean house and it wasn't that hard and no one is miserable because of it. I am so happy. Gotta go declutter!

Thanks again!

I'm so happy for you! It's amazing how much just this one little habit can change the day, huh?!

My house is always company ready. Honestly I can't go to bed at night knowing there is clutter somewhere in the house. Fortunately, my dc have inherited this trait and keep their rooms neat and tidy.

As for clean, well, maybe not eat-off-the-floor clean. There are dust bunnies under the beds and the ceiling fans could all use dusting. But unless someone is "looking" for the dirt, I don't think it would jump out at them.

I work hard to keep things neat because I can't function well unless they are. I wish I was a little laid-back in this area but it's how I'm wired. My dh appreciates this trait since he too is a bit of a neat-freak.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you managed that in one day, you definitely don't qualify for membership in The Slob Club. They'd laugh you right out of the meetings. :)

We usually get homeschooling done, but our house was never that neat before we had kids. I never learned how to clean and care for a home. The first week dh and I lived in our first apartment, I had to call my mom to ask how to clean the toilet.

We don't live in filth, but it's not as clean as I would like it. I am slowly learning how to get things done, but trying to learn that and teach my children has been very difficult.

Good job on working on this habit. Someone told me here on this board that it takes 3 weeks to make a new habit so you have 20 more days to go of doing this everyday!!

I was so frustrated today with dd - I could literally see her progress through the house (kind of like those Family Circus strips where they show the dotted line) because there was a series of messes from one end of the house to the other. I made her go and clean up every one. She went to Daddy for comfort - he backed me up! Yes! So we're working on this too. Now to get her to clean up the messes right away. . . .