Menu

If you could live anywhere, where would you move?

I have been following the threads about places where people are (and aren't) friendly, and I thought I'd start a semi-related thread of my own.

We're thinking of moving, but we don't know where to go. We want a friendly place, that's very low in crime, with excellent air and water quality. Low real estate taxes would be nice, too, and of course, easy homeschool laws would be a big plus. A smallish town, with a nice "Main St" type of place where we can walk around, do some window shopping, and get some lunch would be ideal.

We can move anywhere we'd like, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's great to have a lot of options, but it's also very difficult to narrow things down.

Do you have any suggestions for us? We've been here and there, but most people would still consider us to be New York City people. (But we don't want to live in a city environment -- we want clean air and low crime, remember? ;))

Oh -- and I nearly forgot -- it's important for us to be in an area where there are lots of other homeschoolers, as ds needs friends. We're Christian, but not at all strict about it, and we're not churchgoers, if that matters. I really want to find a new home where we'll be able to fit in and make friends easily.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cat

Well, we move all the time and one of my favorite places was Apple Valley, Minnesota. There are beautiful parks, clean water and air, lower real estate taxes, lots of homeschoolers, low crime rate. The people are very friendly and welcoming to newcomers. The homeschool laws are pretty easy as well.

The downside is that (for the U.S.) the winters are tough, and there are tornadoes in summer. Other than that, it was a fabulous place to live and I was sad to leave. There isn't a "downtown" however, but the Minnesota Zoo is there and it's fabulous.

There you go, that's my vote.:)

Guest Virginia Dawn

Smithfield, Virginia.

Smallish town with a lovely main street, lots of homeschoolers in the area, easy drive to larger city areas with loads of amenities, waterfront areas, historic areas, lowish taxes and crime.

That fits your description.

I would move to Williamsburg, Virginia. It fits just about everything, but taxes are higher and it is more congested.

Edited by Virginia Dawn

We live in a small town in central Florida, but drive 11 hours to Brevard, NC once a month to stay in our cabin in the mountains. We would move there in a heartbeat if we could live anywhere. Perfect downtown, diversity, small college in town, a short drive to Asheville or Greenville, SC. We're always amazed how friendly everyone is even though we live in the South.

We live near St Andrews - it's a lovely town and meets most of your criteria. You don't even have to report that you are home educating, the crime rate is very low and there are two main shopping streets, each about one hundred yards long. There are home educators, but my boys have mostly found friends among neighbours and cub scouts. It's a university town, so it's fairly cosmopolitan, and we've found it welcoming to outsiders.

Laura

I love Texas which certainly meets your homeschool laws requirement. There is also a lot of stuff for homeschoolers...support groups, classes, sports, etc.

We live near Ft. Worth and love it. Too much traffic and not exactly a small town feel. Somewhere nearby like Granbury, Texas would be nice. Great downtown square, small town feel, but close enough to the 'bright lights' to find great cultural opportunities.

TX! I live north of Houston and really like it here. It's relatively inexpensive, we're Christians and don't always attend church, there are homeschool groups and co-ops all over the state, the water and air are good where I live (not so much in Houston...), TX is one of the easiest states to homeschool in, people are very friendly--TX is a great place to live! Also wanted to add that there is always some kind of activity going on in TX. Where I live we have a downtown full of antique shops, a couple of restaurants, a theatre that puts on 3-5 performances a year.

Edited by KRG

I grew up and lived in the Midwest until 4 yrs ago. We moved to Washington state (Seattle suburb) and LOVED it. I had no idea what I was missing ;)

I loved:

-temperate climate (40s in winter and high 70s in the summer),

-lovely environment (trees, always green, mountain views, ocean)

-lots of culture/activities (zoo, aquarium, museums, etc within driving distance)

-recreation-ocean, parks, and mountains can't be beat!

-VERY homeschool friendly and active homeschool groups are bountiful

-no state taxes

-food ( great variety of high quality eateries, grocery stores, farmer's markets, etc)

-diversity-certainly more than the midwest where we were!

-awesome library system-best I've ever encountered! I could get almost anything I needed and they'd buy what they couldn't get.

I could go on and on....

While we lived in a bigger city (about 100,000) there were numerous small towns close by that had that "main street" small town feel to them.

We had to move back to the midwest for DH's work but if had the chance to move back we would in a heartbeat!

Smithfield, Virginia.

Smallish town with a lovely main street, lots of homeschoolers in the area, easy drive to larger city areas with loads of amenities, waterfront areas, historic areas, lowish taxes and crime.

I would move to Williamsburg, Virginia. It fits just about everything, but taxes are higher and it is more congested.

That sounds great!

We live near St Andrews - it's a lovely town and meets most of your criteria. You don't even have to report that you are home educating, the crime rate is very low and there are two main shopping streets, each about one hundred yards long. There are home educators, but my boys have mostly found friends among neighbours and cub scouts. It's a university town, so it's fairly cosmopolitan, and we've found it welcoming to outsiders.

Laura

How is the weather? Is it kind of like the weather in London?

I'd move to SE Texas. We are currently in SW Louisiana and sooooo close. I'd love to be NE of Houston, but I'd like to take my yard with me. We have 3 acres of woods.

No snow and hot summers are fine with me as long as I'm within a short drive from the beach. :D

I love TX, but then, I hate anything under 80 degrees. do you have any weather preferences?

I love San Antonio: huge town w/ lots of little "main street" type of suburban areas. I'd move back there in a heartbeat.

Our area [Ellis County] has the small town feel, but not a lot of homeschool *support*. I'm working on that :)

My first choice would be Santa Cruz, CA (not in the town proper, but in one of the nearby mountain towns like Boulder Creek) - I lived there years ago & loved the creative crunchy vibe of the place. My second choice would be Portland, OR (if nothing else, for Powell's Books, which is my kind of heaven!) - another place I loved living (I'm thinking Seattle would be similar though I don't remember much about it). Third choice would be Vermont, though I've never even been there, it's always been a goal to have a farm in VT. ;) The outskirts of Dallas, TX were nice as well, though at the time I hated TX, I'd gladly go back now!

Right now, I want to move to Asheville, NC (or somewhere nearby). I want to live somewhere that has seasons (we just have hot/ muggy and warm/dry here). But I don't think we'd want harsh/extended winters. I'd also like to be able to garden, but the climate and soil here (in central FL) just makes it too hard to be worth it. And I want to live near enough to a large-ish city that we could go to cultural events w/o having to drive long distances. My in-laws live in SC, so itwould be nice to be close to family (but not too close :) ).

:lurk5:

I'm having such a great time reading all of your responses and checking BestPlaces.net and Realtor.com for more info.

I also have a little US map and I'm highlighting all of the different areas. (Probably only a homeschool mom would do that...)

Thanks so much for all of the help -- I'm open for more suggestions, too!

Cat

Without ever being there I would move to Maine, northern. I have talked to people online from there (other boards) and they are incredibly nice, helpful, and curteous.

Places I have been though.....I LOVE Oregon and Washington. We lived in Gresham Or and loved it. We had all the benefits of Portland but Gresham had a more small feel. It was still city though. Walla Walla Wa. was a cool college town that I really enjoyed going to. I would go back to those states if we could afford it.....sigh.

Gosh, it sounds like you would be fun to hang around. Come on down to Beaufort SC. I see someone has already mentioned Savannah GA (a good choice I might add). We're just north of Savannah but we have less crime and more quiet :).

Lol, that's why I added Tybee Island. Although, as far as cities go I think Savannah is top knotch.

I'm partial to New England, but I've never lived anywhere else. Traveled a good deal and can't imagine living anywhere else. First off, definable seasons. Love each one for its uniqueness. I live in CT now and it's wonderful being so close to two major cities (Boston & New York), the mountains of NH/VT, the beaches/coastline of CT, RI, NH, ME, lots of natural beauty; homeschooling's sooooooo easy and unregulated and there are lots of us here. Lots of history here too. I'd probably prefer to live in NH or ME; CT is expensive and we'd like more space around us, even though we live in a teeny town.

I'm loving reading this thread!

Smithfield, Virginia.

We lived in Smithfield! It was *wonderful*!! And close to DC, an airport, the beach, the mountains, and a large-enough city.

Yup, Smithfield is pretty nice.:001_smile:

Smithfield, Virginia.

Does it smell from the hog farms? I read this article in rolling stone a few years ago, and I still remember it! Blech. It was mostly about NC but I know Smithfield does have some hog farms in VA.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

How is the weather? Is it kind of like the weather in London?

In London, and in Bristol, where I grew up, I remember a lot of grey days. In Fife, we get short, sharp showers, then the sun comes out, then the wind blows .... It's changeable and rather beautiful.

We get frosts at night in winter, but it doesn't go far below freezing. We had a couple of snowfalls this winter: enough for sledding, not enough to be seriously inconvenient. Summers are temperate - you rarely get temperatures much about 70 degrees F.

Laura

I would just love to live anywhere warm and green. I miss the lush greeness of a tropical climate. But I don't want it to be too hot either. So basically warm and tropical with a cool ocean breeze.

Its kinda funny cause I have been dying all my life to see snow (it doesn't snow in Miami) and when I finally see it I decide its just too cold lol.

Helena, AL

It's one town over from where I live now. It's ranked somewhere in the top 15 places to raise kids. Our county is the fastest growing county in AL. The homeschool requirements are super easy. You sign up with a cover school and the ONLY thing that is required by law is to report attendance. Other than that you are on your own. You would be a max 30 minute drive from everything- zoo, wonderful science center, museums, etc. The hospitals here are excellent.

There are tons of homeschool groups here. Tons. All of my friends homeschool and about 50 percent of the people I've met are homeschooling families. There are local classes for homeschooling kids such as science, art, drama, ice skating, gymnastics, dance, children's choir, etc.

I live in the next town over and LOVE it here but if I could move, I'd move 5 miles and live in Helena.

I'm a little on the crunchy side (homebirthing, extended nursing, organic eating, etc) and fit in just fine even though the south is supposed to be "mainstream"

The cost of housing and property tax is low. I can't say enough good things about this area.

We're thinking of moving, but we don't know where to go. We want a friendly place, that's very low in crime, with excellent air and water quality. Low real estate taxes would be nice, too, and of course, easy homeschool laws would be a big plus. A smallish town, with a nice "Main St" type of place where we can walk around, do some window shopping, and get some lunch would be ideal.

La Grande Oregon. Every time I drive through I stop for meal and take deep breaths. It just feels like home, something like my hometown was, in size, in the 1960's.

Either Savannah/Tybee Island, GA.

It's beautiful, clean, friendly and we love every moment we get to spend there.

Please forgive me for saying this. Savannah's crime rate is on par with Chicago, New York and LA per capita. I live out on the islands and in what is considered one of the "best areas" and my car was stolen right out of my driveway. Murder is daily, drive by shootings all downtown, bars on all windows north of midtown, I could go on and on. We have our house on the market and trying to get away. Tybee is alright, a tad, but just a tad less crime, but half the summer the bacteria count is high in the water that there are warnings not to swim.

MHO

I currently live in Middle TN and absolutely love it and really don't ever see myself moving. The weather is mild, neither too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. No state income tax. Homeschool friendly with lost of groups. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. Lots of arts and culture. Very family friendly. Great library systems. They only thing I would work on is improving our zoo. I intend to stay here for a very long time if not forever. The only place I could ever imagine going is retiring to Boston when they children are grown and we have won the lottery and could afford to live there. Otherwise, I will just have to be content to visit.

Greece. It's so beautiful in the books. I have been to the Bahamas and although it would be nice, too much action for me. If I have to live there for awhile I want somewhere serene. To live permanently I would LOVE to live in a town like Mayberry. I know, sounds corny but I love little towns where everybody know each other and there's limited violence, drugs, etc.

We live in a small town in central Florida, but drive 11 hours to Brevard, NC once a month to stay in our cabin in the mountains. We would move there in a heartbeat if we could live anywhere. Perfect downtown, diversity, small college in town, a short drive to Asheville or Greenville, SC. We're always amazed how friendly everyone is even though we live in the South.

I have to laugh at the comment I bolded because many old-timer Southerners don't consider Florida to be part of the South!! There are too many NYC snow-birds who live in FL now. When I moved to TN from VA they considered me a NORTHERNER!! Never mind that Richmond, VA was the capital of the Confederacy!! :lol: