Menu

Does your school district allow you to use services?

My children are homeschooled, by my choice. However we still pay exorbitant taxes to the district. I was just informed DD may not join band because she is not enrolled despite being told when we dis-enrolled that services could be utilized. So angry I'm practically hyperventilating. Is this the norm? If so, tell me to hush up and get over it. If not, please commiserate at this silly, ludicrous LAW (or so I was told). :cursing:

DD is at warmups for her softball game right now. She plays on the JV team at the local high school. The laws vary state to state and district to district. In FL it is a state law that students can participate in activities-sports and classes. We have to fill out a few forms and register as a homeschooler with the district. When I was in PA we went to the school district in a very organized fashion and got the law passed for our district to allow homeschoolers to play. My ds was a very big part of the 7th grade football team. I have to run to the game but you can send me a note and I can tell you how we organized to get the law passes for our district. You can probably google to see how others did it to.

In Texas it is up to the individual district--the extent that home schooled students may or may not participate--and on the high school level 'IF' they will accept credits towards graduation earned while home schooled.

Ours will allow limited access to Band--but the homeschool students cannot go to most competitions (not State law but rules of the organizations that run the contests like All State). Same goes for atheletics. "Students must be a FULL TIME student in the district that they represent in contests/meets/games".

Texas state school funding does not provide funds for students unless they attend full time--no exceptions.

Property taxes are 'pooled' and then dispersed to districts according to their student enrollment. Just because you pay taxes to "X" district does not mean that district gets to keep your money... just google the 'Robin Hood Act'--it is causing our district to go bankrupt because we have a high percentage of ag-exempt property coupled with a high ratio of retired homeowners who have 'frozen' property tax rates. A district's net worth is NOT dependent on how much tax money comes in--it is dependent on how much POTENTIAL tax money could be brought in IF....

Parents who pay big $$$ to put their children in private schools do not get to use public schools either...

Call your local and state representative and ask them to look at how some other states make allowances.

Dd is allowed to utilize any thing the school provides as long as there is an opening. She can take individual classes, use the library, or play sports.

Check with your state law. It might be that you can utilize school services, but the school district is no despite this.

I'm not sure what the laws are wrt sports and other extracurricular activities, but in GA the school district it required to provide special education services to all kids, including private and homeschooled ones. I'm in the process of getting speech therapy for my son through our county, since our new insurance company is refusing to pay for it. Insurance companies are welcome to deny speech therapy and hearing aids to kids who need them all they want. Sigh.

Iowa allows dual enrollment, and we've used that option for the last few years. The kids have taken art, music, extracurricular sports, and a couple of classes at various times. They have always been very accommodating and easy to work with.

It is totally at the whim of the district, but ours is amazing. We can do just after-school activities, take one class, just participate in as much or little as we want. And, they are very willing to work with families to accomodate.

Our district is the same. We can use special ed services, sports, and enroll part time to take individual classes. We can also enroll part time in more than one district which I did with my son one year; he was 79% Valley School District to utilize their virtual academy, 20% in Tacoma School District to use special education services, and 1% homeschool to avoid being a full time public school student (and required state testing) and maintain our status as homeschoolers.

I would suggest you contact the superintendent. Usually the folks at the front desk don't know where the rules come from. Lots of times these things can be decided at school board meetings. I think if you start investigating, you may find a path to resolution. Sometimes agreements need to be adopted by going through the proper channels. And it you hit a dead end, you may learn how to get around it. I would guess that there hasn't been much pressure yet..............

I have no idea! :confused:

Ok all you seasoned homeschool moms, how in the world do I find out?

I live in MI. There's an elementary school at the end of my street here in suburbia. I know my son, who will be six in a month, WOULD have gone to that school if I enrolled him in kindergarten last fall. That's all I know.

I'm very open with my ds about homeschool and public school pros and cons. Right now, he has no interest in going to the public school, and very much enjoys homeschool. But gee, I'm sure he'd love to take gym or art or something, and it'd be a good way to get to meet other kids from our neighborhood that are his age. I dunno, might be good, might not.

Who do I call? I mean, I suppose tomorrow I can take my boys, walk down to the school, go into the office, and just ask. Is that the way to start?

In Howard County, Maryland, we used to have access to special education services through school. It was awful, though. Our two children would be the only ones to show up on some days, not even the provider showed up, and then they'd sit in the office doing busywork worksheets. No one would call us and let us know beforehand, and they didn't have the "staffing levels" to call us if our kids weren't getting services that day.

Then we got a snippy letter in the mail one day, after the Attorney General made some sort of decision that allowed schools to not provide services to homeschools, that abruptly ended all services. This letter said that if we wanted to avail ourselves of the school's wonderful services, then we would just enroll our kids in school. Boy, not very tempting, I'll tell you what. For months we used the speech services as a "threat" whenever we wanted to harrass the kids for fun. "You'd better watch out, Girlie, or we'll call the school and beg them to take you back for speech!"

It sounds like other districts do better in terms of sports, etc., but I don't miss ours at all. That attitude, and the token "services," was among the reasons we pulled our kids out of school. Of course, we can't afford private services, but homeschooling is still much better overall.

Sandy

We sent packets to all the school board members, the principal, and the superintendent. The packets included answers to questions they may have had. We spoke briefly to some school board members beforehand to identify any concerns and included solutions to that. We also including how could they be sure that a student would be eligible (We ended up providing weekly grades, progess reports. In FL we send her report card grades along with paperwork at the beginning of the year). We also included factual information on homeschooling in general, some statistics on homeschoolers...We were able to find some examples of school districts in PA that allowed students to participate and some testimonials about how well it worked. We then asked to be allowed to present our request at a school board meeting. We had several families attend and give a presentation. They voted in favor of it. This was in PA. It has worked in many districts and I now believe it is a law.

I would suggest you contact the superintendent. Usually the folks at the front desk don't know where the rules come from. Lots of times these things can be decided at school board meetings. I think if you start investigating, you may find a path to resolution. Sometimes agreements need to be adopted by going through the proper channels. And it you hit a dead end, you may learn how to get around it. I would guess that there hasn't been much pressure yet..............

I might suggest this too. Since you have already gotten two conflicting answers. You might as well find out what the acurate answer is from someone in a position to actually know.

We're overseas military and despite the fact that the DOD school must allow us certain access (with varying conditions depending on the service), the first people I talked to at the school had no idea. If I hadn't already known what the answer should have been, I would have been quickly turned away. I try to be sympathetic since it seems that none of the other homeschoolers here had asked to use the library, so it was no wonder that the school didn't know what they should do.

I don't know what the official policy here is - or if there is one...we've only lived here for a few months and haven't asked...I suspect not, though. I *have* been told that the Christian school here welcomes homeschoolers into their afterschool sports program - but that's a private school, not part of the public system.

In our district we can utilize any services available to PS kids as long as there is room and we take responsiblity for costs like insurance for sports, etc. Now, this is how they school district gets out of it. Notice I said if there is room. We have an over extended school district as it is. I haven't tried to use any PS services but I thought that might be a problem. As for speech therapy, I would check again. I believe this falls under the No Child Left Behind Act. In our area a good friend of mine started taking her 3 yo to speech therapy through a public school free of charge even though he obvious was not enrolled.

HTH and hang in there!

In Iowa we have do what is called dual-enrollment, and then the district gets some money depending on the level of government involvement. To take up to 3 things (2 academic & 1 extra-curricular or vice versa) they get 10% of the amount allocated per student from state monies. If we also use a Home School Assistance Program then the district gets 30% of the monies, however there is a greater likelihood of school intervention the more we are involved with the district.

I find dual-enrollment a mixed blessing myself.

I think some people worry that if schools give homeschoolers anything, they will require more oversight or snoop more into our business.

Bingo! We have a winner! :D

We get nothing here either and we not only pay big school taxes for our home, we pay BIG school taxes on all the farmland, too.

However, I don't feel like I'm entitled to school services. If I had NO children, should I be able to have school services then, too? Because I paid my taxes?? Nope. I don't think so.

IMO, when you opt out of a system, you should stay out. None of this "selective use" of the system, either. I don't blame school boards for not giving services to homeschoolers. The fact that our kids are not in their school costs them money (the per student grant they get from govt.), so why in the world would they allow us to use their services, which would cost them money (which it would because they are liable for your child during issue of any services, not to mention the time, and additional money that may be expensed for your child).

And on top of that, using their services just encourages them to think they have some say in your life.

I try not to encourage that from anyone. ;)

We haven't utilized the public school offerings-yet. I did call last year though, because dd loves art, and I asked if she could attend just the art classes, and the school was very helpful & welcoming. We didn't end up doing it because of our schedule, but I was encouraged. I also know a family who's son is involved in the ps orchestra program, and he takes a spanish class at ps.

We get nothing here either and we not only pay big school taxes for our home, we pay BIG school taxes on all the farmland, too.

However, I don't feel like I'm entitled to school services. If I had NO children, should I be able to have school services then, too? Because I paid my taxes?? Nope. I don't think so.

IMO, when you opt out of a system, you should stay out. None of this "selective use" of the system, either. I don't blame school boards for not giving services to homeschoolers. The fact that our kids are not in their school costs them money (the per student grant they get from govt.), so why in the world would they allow us to use their services, which would cost them money (which it would because they are liable for your child during issue of any services, not to mention the time, and additional money that may be expensed for your child).

And on top of that, using their services just encourages them to think they have some say in your life.

yep:iagree:

being "entitled" to something goes both ways.

if home schoolers think they are "entitled" to public school resources

then public schools are "entitled" to regulate/investigate/question home schooling.

there's lots of things I pay taxes for but do not qualify to use or chose to opt out of using

that's just life. :D

Edited by Martha

State law dictates this here. In Ohio, no services are required to be provided, but in Michigan, students may use non-academic activities. In practice, some Ohio schools/districts work with homeschoolers, and some Michigan schools make it near impossible to work with them.

Bethany, you want to call the school and feel out how friendly they are going to be. If you know any other area homeschoolers, I would ask them first what their experiences have been. they may have a contact. it should be straightforward, but it usually depends on whether the district has had homeschoolers work with them in the past. You may be able to do gym, art, and music.

Honestly, I have no idea because we haven't stepped foot in one since we took Aaron out after the third grade. :)

Actually, I did buy tickets at the local high school a few years ago for My Fair Lady. All of the necking made me feel glad I hadn't brought the boys with me.

But, you'd think you would be able to get something for your tax money considering you are saving the district and your kids COULD go there.

Legally, they do not have to allow hsers access to anything except special services. However, I've heard of cases where smaller school districts allowed hsed children to participate in school plays and other non-sports related extra-curriculars. My school district doesn't allow even that. When the new superintendent came in there was a discussion by the school board and they decided to follow his recommendation that since hsers didn't want to follow school rules by sending their children to school, they should not be allowed to partake of the "benefits" of extra-curriculars. Of course, when my oldest dd found out that some of her hsed friends were allowed to participate and she couldn't because of our district's rule she decided if they didn't want her there then she's pretty sure she has no intention of ever going at all.

:iagree:

Yes, you pay taxes, but the school is not getting any money for your child. So, you are not contributing towards that band uniform that is paid for by the school. You're also not contributing toward the salaries, building expenses, etc. Keep in mind that some school districts in Texas are really suffering financially right now (frozen budgets, hiring fewer teachers which leads to bigger class sizes, etc.).

Also, band is covered by UIL. There are UIL rules that students have to meet in order to participate in events. (no pass/no play) Since your child is not using the school's curriculum and being graded by the school's teachers, how can they meet those requirements?

It's possible that if you met with the school principal, something could be worked out. However, I don't believe you are entitled to band just because you pay taxes.

Thank you to all who replied. It's healthy to see various perspectives before I jump off the deep end.

The ironic thing is I don't even want my child to be in band (DH does), but think we are entitled to the option of certain services for which we pay taxes. I was lied to, but not by whom. I'll take a day or two to ponder what you have each said. Some of the more dissenting opinions have opened my eyes and make me want to think through this before contacting the TEA (Texas Education Assoc) to unleash frustrations. LOL

Thanks again!

Tracey

FL allows us to participate in extracurriculars, as well as being dually-enrolled for classes. My ds has taken driver's ed and drama I and II at the high school, runs cross country and track, is in the drama club and musicals. I guess we're lucky! He is also dually-enrolled at the community college here (only have to pay for books.)

:)

Our school district has been good to work with. They have enough to worry about with the ps students and really don't want to be involved in homeschoolers' lives. In fact, they recently appointed a homeschool liason (a hs mother) to help train ps students who are truant so that they can homeschool instead. The liason meets with them and a school personnel for 3 monthly meetings and then they are free to homeschool on their own.