Menu

What's the WORST place in America to live?

We seem to have a lot of threads related to moving. Of course, everyone wants to live in an ideal location, but that's not always possible.

So, in your experience, what's the worst place you've lived or visited? The place no amount of love or money could induce you to move to?

I've been really lucky. I've lived in some pretty nice places; Minnesota (St. Paul and New Ulm), Chicago, NYC, London and the beautiful Garden State - New Jersey.

When I worked, one of my clients was TWA, located in Kansas City, MO. Sorry if I'm offending any folks who love Kansas City, but boy, would I not want to live there.

Now, I loved living in NYC, but I completely understand if you think the Big Apple would be a living h*ll.

Where would you LEAST like to live and why?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A desert type area, probably in the SW. I would miss having trees around! Plus, arid air is very hard for me to withstand. I guess I'm used to humidity, lol.

As a kid, we lived in VA a few different times & I always had a bad vibe there. The last time we moved away from VA, I said I would never want to move back there. I've been back to visit (as an adult) & it's a lovely place, but I do wonder if some internal voice was telling me something....

I've never wanted to live in FL either.

Oh, and if I lived downtown in a city, I would need some major soundproofing in my abode to endure all the noise of living in a city, lol.

Just my quirky 2 cents....

The scariest place I have ever lived is Waterbury, CT. I have walked through the Big Apple (It is a beautiful city:001_smile:). I wouldn't drive through parts of Waterbury.

ROFLMAO!

I live about 40 minutes north in a small, pretty rural, very New England town. And Beansprouts, I gotta agree with you! It hasn't gotten any better!

Astrid

Detroit.

But I guess it depends on how you define "worst" - worst for crime, schools, jobs, beauty, people, weather? Detroit hits a negative on all of those for me (my apology to anyone who lives there :tongue_smilie:).

I love Detroit. Grew up near Detroit. My dad worked downtown and I went to a university on the east side. Cool town.

But, there are parts of Detroit that give me deep anxiety just driving through...days and days worth.

I think I'm going to go with Los Angeles.

My dad grew up in Riverside, CA and has wonderful stories of living there, but he would not want to go back now.

I spent about 4 months living in LA, and *no one* I met there (at my job, at school, on the bus, etc.) was happy living there. They all wanted to move somewhere else, but didn't think they could sell their house, find another job, etc., and actually get out.

The only people who were happy to be in LA were the tourists I met. ;)

I love Detroit. Grew up near Detroit. My dad worked downtown and I went to a university on the east side. Cool town.

But, there are parts of Detroit that give me deep anxiety just driving through...days and days worth.

I lived in Birmingham (outside Detroit) for a couple of years as a child and LOVED it. But I don't know that it's the same now. I hear such sad stories about the state of things in MI, and Detroit in particular.

South Florida I know many are from there and some from West Palm Beach but the op asked so I am just responding as kindly as possible.....but nothing, absolutely nothing can get me back there. I spent over 10 miserable years there until my Knight in Shining Armour (aka dh) rescued me and got me out of there.

Moline, Kansas

El Paso, TX - dirty, dusty, blah

Compton - in Los Angeles - if you see a sign that says "Compton" you'd better make a U-turn and get out of there! Also, LA in general.

Washington DC - crime rates

Any really big city, any place that has tornadoes, roaches, or hurricanes. I'll take my -40 degree weather over all of those, contrary to what most prefer I'm sure. :)

Sorry Zelda - see, I KNEW I'd offend someone! :grouphug:

Any really big city, any place that has tornadoes, roaches, or hurricanes. I'll take my -40 degree weather over all of those, contrary to what most prefer I'm sure. :)

I talked to my sister today and she was complaining it was 50 degrees and she was freezing! You couldn't pay her any amount of money to live here. We made a fire in the snow (see my new avatar :D)and sat outside for 2 hours in 10 degrees - we had a blast. Just depends on your perspective. One person's trash is another's treasure as they say (I'm sure I'll probably offend someone with that statement - my advance apologies :grouphug:).

I grew up there. INSIDE Detroit. You'll notice that if you ever say "I'm from Detroit" the first thing someone asks is "Where?" (meaning "which suburb?") Detroit. Detroit?? Detroit. Ohhh!!

Zingerman's is in Ann Arbor (I love Ann Arbor!), Birmingham is still neat, and although there are some depressed suburbs there's really nothing like the city proper... Inside Detroit is a whole other universe.

The two decades I lived there weren't actually traumatic -- we had a nice neighborhood (all things considered... although there was that serial killer leaving dead prostitutes in the alleys... but you know, that was on the OTHER side of the street which made it all better...) and we had lots of good neighbors. I went to city schools and Wayne State University and I have fond memories of both. I thought nothing of riding city buses, or driving through the worst possible neighborhoods (my friends lived there!) But I've been away for almost as long as I was there, and it's truly surreal to go back. The strip clubs, the prostitution, the drugs, the burned out houses, whole abandoned blocks, and really just the whole attitude. I can spot a Detroiter from a block away -- there's just a sort of tension or anxiety they carry with them... but on the other hand they think nothing of levels and proximity of crime that would never go unremarked anywhere else I've lived.

I still go back to visit.... family and friends are still there (my parents are still in Detroit but everyone else has moved out). I still love Greektown even though The New Hellas Cafe has closed, the DIA will always be my favorite museum, all the old speakeasies are fabulous. Detroit has a lot of character that's worth seeing and worth saving if there's any hope of that... architecture and history and personality. But I wouldn't live there again for a million dollars. (And I live somewhere that has 3-inch roaches AND hurricanes! LOL)

I had to live in Casper, Wyoming for a year and a half. If I never go back, it will be too soon.

First of all, it was boring, boring, boring. There was no where to go. At least I didn't have to worry about going out shopping and spending too much.

Second, the wind. The wind! Oh, the wind. Casper has the worst wind. When we first moved there, we were warned about how windy it was, and how the wind played a big factor in suicides there. "Normal" wind there would be gusts anywhere else, and the gusts there were scary. I would lay awake in bed at night, not being able to sleep because of the wind rattling the windows, and when it was gusty, I would wonder if the windows were going to break, or if the house would stay standing. Seriously.

Third, while it was called a "city" it was a small one, the downtown area was laughable...and any of the nearby towns were much smaller. To get to another city of similar size, we had to drive 3 hours. To get to a larger city, we had to drive 5 hours. I don't like small towns, or small cities... I like the options that a larger place brings.

While I have not lived in Casper, I am a native of Wyoming. The wind starts wherever you cross the state line --the whole darned state is windy!

I have a bunch of family in Casper, and let me just say, it's WAY better than small-town, population 10,000 Minnesota, that I live in. There's tons to do in Casper compared to where I live. (Can you tell I do not like where I live one iota?)

But, I couldn't handle the wind again, even though I have wonderful memories of growing up in Laramie and Cheyenne.

I had to live in Casper, Wyoming for a year and a half. If I never go back, it will be too soon.

First of all, it was boring, boring, boring. There was no where to go. At least I didn't have to worry about going out shopping and spending too much.

Second, the wind. The wind! Oh, the wind. Casper has the worst wind. When we first moved there, we were warned about how windy it was, and how the wind played a big factor in suicides there. "Normal" wind there would be gusts anywhere else, and the gusts there were scary. I would lay awake in bed at night, not being able to sleep because of the wind rattling the windows, and when it was gusty, I would wonder if the windows were going to break, or if the house would stay standing. Seriously.

Third, while it was called a "city" it was a small one, the downtown area was laughable...and any of the nearby towns were much smaller. To get to another city of similar size, we had to drive 3 hours. To get to a larger city, we had to drive 5 hours. I don't like small towns, or small cities... I like the options that a larger place brings.

I grew up there. INSIDE Detroit. You'll notice that if you ever say "I'm from Detroit" the first thing someone asks is "Where?" (meaning "which suburb?") Detroit. Detroit?? Detroit. Ohhh!!

Yup, I'm from the 810 myself.

I went to Wayne too! Many fine hours spent at the DIA. A hidden gem.

Detroit's still waiting for that renaissance. I hope it gets it someday.

I've been really lucky. I've lived in some pretty nice places; Minnesota (St. Paul and New Ulm), Chicago, NYC, London and the beautiful Garden State - New Jersey.

Where would I least like to live? Southern Minnesota, where I do live.

Oh my goodness, I live about an hour south of New Ulm. No offense, but I find this neck of Minnesota anything but pleasant. The winters are absolutely miserable, cold and nasty ice storms and the summers the air is so thick and wet and hot, plus you can't enjoy the outdoors because of the mosquitoes.

Since moving from Rapid City, South Dakota to Minnesota I have developed horrible SAD. The winters darned near do me in every year. Gray days are abundant here.

I have also noticed that people are not very friendly here. Yes, there are very nice and friendly people, but compared to the west where I'm from: Wyoming, Colorado and South Dakota, I notice a huge difference. Back home (west) people would smile at you and say hello at the grocery store or while you're out and about. Here? Nope. It's very cold in that regard.

Whenever we go "home" I always tell my son to pay attention to people, and he has noticed it--they're just friendlier and quick with a smile.

Even our neighbors are not friendly. I never see neighbors out talking like I have everywhere else I've lived.

Now, there are some positives: Housing costs are very low, and it's a very safe place. My husband loves his job, so moving isn't an option.

New Ulm is a pretty place, and we enjoy going there, but whenever we want to do something, we have to get in the car and drive, drive, drive.

We live in the middle of nowhere, with no bookstore. Oh, the horror. :tongue_smilie:

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, although we did go to Detroit pretty often to visit some family who lived there and my dad took us to the Detroit Science Center and the DIA pretty often. I thought it was just the way big cities were, I had no idea until I grew up and moved to DFW, and Dallas and Fort Worth were very different than Detroit. When I was in highschool, a bunch of friends and I skipped school and went to Detroit to ride on the People Mover. Aah, memories.

My worst place to live would be Florida or Arizona, Texas is bad enough. I'm with Arcticmom and Alaskamom and would rather live somewhere cold.

ok, a caviat: I live in Southern CA. However, there are definitely *parts* of S. CA that I wouldn't live in. basically anywhere between where I live (Santa Clarita), to south of LA. Also anywhere west of the Sierra Nevada mts....basically desert - windy, remote, nasty. Same for most of Nevada...Hawthorne, Fallon and the like (just drove through it, so fresh in my mind). Anywhere with high humidity would drive me nuts.....Florida, the South..although I could probably get used to Hawaii :o). I love mountains/hills, so I don't like too many places where it is just......flat. Every time we drive up into central CA farm country, the flatness gets to me. Boring. I confess I love suburbia. Easy access to friends, activities etc. Other than the cost of housing, I love where we live right now.

Warner Robins/Macon, Georgia area! Ack! It was like hell on earth! It was horrible there. There was just nothing to do. It was hot and dry in the summer and cold and wet in the winter and buggie and there was absolutely NOTHING to do! We were there from 2003 - 2005. The closest Starbucks was over 25 miles away in Macon, and that was at B&N! At least they built a Dunkin Donuts before we left! It's sad when Home Depot/Loews and Walmart are the high points of town! Everyone we knew was waiting to get off that base! It was the middle of nowhere and just so country. Civilization was over 90 miles away, and that was just Atlanta.

But then I'm a city girl who can't wait to spend the next 3 years in the Manhatten end of Long Island!

Bowling Green, OH... weirdest year of my life, I think... when we moved cross country a few years ago, DH insisted on swinging through BG just so he could see why I dislike it so much! Flat, boring, and oh, did I mention that some local kids decided to go out joyriding, taking potshots at co-eds w/ BB guns?! I was one of their targets. After that year, I decided to go to school in Philly, where, while it definitely has it's run-down neighborhoods, at least I would be expecting the need to be watchful. And yes, I agree w/ the pp about Philly, too, so my preferring Philly to Bowling Green might give you an idea of just how much I dislike BG!

A small town which will remain nameless. And also the upper part of the Lower Peninsula. I was lucky enough to be stationed in Michigan TWICE! Sorry, but I just had nothing in common with any of the people I met. I did enjoy our rousing games of broomball in the bar parking lot, though. :tongue_smilie:

Now, see, I just offended about ten people. This is a dangerous thread....

Julie

We seem to have a lot of threads related to moving. Of course, everyone wants to live in an ideal location, but that's not always possible.

So, in your experience, what's the worst place you've lived or visited? The place no amount of love or money could induce you to move to?

When I worked, one of my clients was TWA, located in Kansas City, MO. Sorry if I'm offending any folks who love Kansas City, but boy, would I not want to live there.

Now, I loved living in NYC, but I completely understand if you think the Big Apple would be a living h*ll.

Well, since I grew up in Kansas City, not too far from TWA headquaters...:glare:. I loved that you could be in the city in 20 minutes and still drive around the country not too far from the airport. It was a great place to grow up, not a bad place to live as an adult, whatever.

My least likely place to move would be anywhere where ice and snow are a major factor in the winter.

To those poor inmates living in these areas, no offense meant.

Inside the city limits of Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago or DC..... never never never! (Yes I have lived in two of the aforementioned and travelled extensively in the other two).

Remember... God's Country is South of the Mason-Dixon and East of California (well maybe East of Las Vegas) :-)

Edited by pqr

We once had a car break down there and spent two days of a cross country trip hanging out in Yuma. I thought it was pretty awful, and felt sorry for the people who live there. Of course, maybe I missed all the nice parts.

For me, somewhere treeless and brown, far from the ocean or mountains but with lots of fast food restaurants and strip malls would be the worst.

This is a fun thread!

I wouldn't want to live in Albuquerque. We lived there for 6 weeks while my dh had some work training and it left a bad taste in my mouth. The people weren't very friendly and they ran red lights like they didn't exist. To add to my distaste some friends & I drove there to visit another friend a few months ago and they shut down the interstate near our hotel because of a road rage shooting. Suzanne in ABQ is very nice, though, as is my friend and her family. I'm sure there must be others.

I also wouldn't want to live in Denver (gah--the traffic is enough to induce convulsions in me), Memphis (the crime rate seems too high now that I've been away), or Kansas City KS (for some reason I just don't like it). I'm thinking I'm just not a city-girl, though, because I would live in a suberb of any of these 3 if I had to.

I need to be where the New Yorkers are. When I say New Yorkers I don't mean the Dutch of upstate, I mean NEW YORKERS. I don't know what it is, the tell it like it is attitude? The sense of humor? It's just funny no matter where I've lived I've always gravitated toward those people. I live in South Jersey now and my closest friends are from Yonkers, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and Bayonne (North Jersey counts :D) Some people who aren't from NY have a New York state of mind so to speak and I enjoy being with them too. I had a close friendship with a woman from Appalachia who had this type of personality, she's great! Other than that, as long as I don't have to check my shoes in the morning for scorpions I think I'm good.

Never been - but Camden, New Jersey looks quite scary.

Most of it is, but there is a really nice section by the river. Unfortunately, it's hard to get there without going through the bad areas. Oops, Camden's crime numbers a reallly bad this year.

Edited by Karenciavo

To those poor inmates living in these areas, no offense meant.

Inside the city limits of Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago or DC..... never never never! (Yes I have lived in two of the aforementioned and travelled extensively in the other two).

Remember... God's Country is South of the Mason-Dixon and East of California (well maybe East of Las Vegas) :-)

My line use to be S of Mason Dixon E of the Mississippi. that is until I discovered Tucson, AZ. I love that place.

attitudes." I've lived some places that should have been awful according to the reaction I've received when I've shared the news of where we'll be moving to friends and family. Ironically, some of the most challenging places have been the most fun.

Martha Washington once said, "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

And so, that's me, with an appreciative nod to MW for explaining it so nicely!

I really don't think I've lived any place I couldn't have liked under the right circumstances.

You couldn't pay me to move back to the New Orleans area. Grew up there and every time I go back it gets worst. It's hot, crime is awful, the area is so run down. I'm sure I don't need to mention the little problem they have with hurricanes. The humidity is the worst.

I'll probably upset some people with this but I wouldn't move back to Hawaii either. Although it isn't the worst place I've lived. It's okay at first but island fever kicks in and you start to go nuts with so much water. There's only so much to do crammed into that tiny little island so by the time you've been there a few years, you've done it all. Plus traffic can be a nightmare.

attitudes." I've lived some places that should have been awful according to the reaction I've received when I've shared the news of where we'll be moving to friends and family. Ironically, some of the most challenging places have been the most fun.

Martha Washington once said, "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

And so, that's me, with an appreciative nod to MW for explaining it so nicely!

I really don't think I've lived any place I couldn't have liked under the right circumstances.

Wise words . . . a friend told me you gotta "bloom where you're planted!" I spent my first 5 years of married life finding many hills to die on in Northern Alberta (oil & gas hicksville . . .ooooooooo, did I say that in my outloud voice?); and then moved to even worse just across the provincial line into Northern British Columbia. I was so miserable . . . but I think with a smidge of maturity, I see now that happiness is an inside affair. I didn't handle those years very gracefully, but still . . . I wouldn't go back for a visit even if it was an all-expenses-paid trip.

I would have to say Florida. It's even hotter than here, there are MORE varieties of disgusting bugs, there are ALLIGATORS, it never snows, and there are a lot of hurricanes!

On the coast, it is *not* hotter than NC! I would much rather live here in the summer than in NC, especially since there is an abundance of places to swim.

The hurricanes come in patterns - in the 90's, the hurricanes were much worse in NC than in FL!

The only place that I have lived that I wouldn't choose to live there again is where I live now - central NC!:D We started talking about moving to FL 2.5 years ago (or maybe more!) I would even choose IA over central NC, but it is a distant second to the east coast of FL - I like snow, but not the 77 inches they got last year in dh's hometown!