Menu

I got a $15 drink at Starbucks!

DawnM

So, if you are a Starbucks rewards member, you get a free drink on your birthday.   I read online that it can be up to $20.   However, I don't think I would like anything that had that many add ins to it.

I got a Venti flat white with chocolate drizzle, cold chocolate foam, whipped cream, some chocolate malt added, and made it a breve.   I also added a few espresso shots.

I would never actually PAY $15 for a coffee, but it was fun ordering.

• Like 6
  • Haha 18

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I got a Venti flat white with chocolate drizzle, cold chocolate foam, whipped cream, some chocolate malt added, and made it a breve.   I also added a few espresso shots.

I used to go to Starbucks all the time in the very early 90s, when it first came to California.  You know, when coffee was coffee and grande was the largest.  

Then in 2019 my husband was in the hospital recovering from surgery so I decided it would be a great idea to go to the Starbucks in the lobby.  Do you think there was anywhere that said the names of the sizes?  Or the names of anything?

The person behind the counter looked at me like I had two heads when I ordered "you know, regular coffee."  "Oh," they said with what might have been a sneer, "you mean DRIP coffee."  Another exchange like this about the size followed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It was a bit too sweet for my liking, but I am glad I tried it.   I have some more in the fridge for later.   Since I put 6 espresso shots in it I am adding hot water at home to dilute it a bit.

My birthday was yesterday, thanks @Junie

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, EKS said:

I used to go to Starbucks all the time in the very early 90s, when it first came to California.  You know, when coffee was coffee and grande was the largest.  

Then in 2019 my husband was in the hospital recovering from surgery so I decided it would be a great idea to go to the Starbucks in the lobby.  Do you think there was anywhere that said the names of the sizes?  Or the names of anything?

The person behind the counter looked at me like I had two heads when I ordered "you know, regular coffee."  "Oh," they said with what might have been a sneer, "you mean DRIP coffee."  Another exchange like this about the size followed.

Yes! What @DawnM posted (happy birthday--I hope you enjoyed your drink!) sounds like a foreign language to me, and one I have no desire to learn. Not too long ago I asked oldest DS how I would go about ordering plain old coffee--not a glorified adult milkshake--at a coffee shop. He looked at me like I was nuts (a not unusual occurrence 😉 ) and said "Regular coffee. Just tell them you want a regular coffee." I had my doubts about that, and you have confirmed them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

How fun! I also would never pay that much, but I'd take advantage of that freebie!

But, I've never had trouble just ordering regular coffee at a bougie coffee shop, including Starbucks (though I generally prefer independent shops).  That's crazy! 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, EKS said:

If you order from the App it is much easier!~ You just click on what you want.

But I don't even like their drip coffee, I only like Starbucks if it is doctored up a bit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Happy Late Birthday, Dawn!

This all reminds me of a skit from my favorite comedian. This guy’s humor is right up my alley and this bit is hilarious. 

I like him a lot!   He cracks me up.   

• Like 1

@Pawz4me regular coffee might mean with sugar and creamer. If it is a cafe and I see sugar and creamer packs on the side wall, I would just say regular coffee. If I don’t see sugar or coffee packets, I’ll ask for coffee black and sugar on the side in case it is too bitter. If it is a family business cafe, I would ask for coffee strong because I don’t want an espresso shot but I do want a stronger/thicker brew of coffee black.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

If you order from the App it is much easier!~ You just click on what you want.

But I don't even like their drip coffee, I only like Starbucks if it is doctored up a bit.

Starbucks tastes burnt to me. I'm not keen.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

It was a bit too sweet for my liking, but I am glad I tried it.   I have some more in the fridge for later.   Since I put 6 espresso shots in it I am adding hot water at home to dilute it a bit.

My birthday was yesterday, thanks @Junie

Six espresso shots would have me in the hospital! 🤣Happy belated birthday! 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dsmith said:

Six espresso shots would have me in the hospital! 🤣Happy belated birthday! 

Oh, I have had about 1/3 of it so far.  I will have some more tomorrow.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I don't even like coffee and now I want to join their rewards program for this perk. I love glorified adult milkshakes. I just don't like paying for them.

I have the app because it is so much easier to order a customize drink than worrying if the barista hears my order wrongly. I typically order for my teens and I so it is easier to not order wrongly on the app. Besides, I order when I am about 5 to 10mins away from a Starbucks so when I reach, I can just go in and grab my mobile order. My teens would opt for mocha frappuccino with lots of whipped cream and chocolate chips.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Starbucks tastes burnt to me. I'm not keen.

My daughter was a barista for Peets and now that's all I drink.  I can't do SB anymore.  But my husband still goes occasionally and my son will sometimes get himself a frappachino!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Is there anything good there that is dairy and caffeine free… that is still a sweet and tasty splurge? Without chocolate? Anything? Anything at all?

Vanilla bean frappuccino (basically a vanilla milkshake). They have a whole lineup now of flavored, non-coffee ones, too - I just checked their menu. Lavender, strawberry creme, chocolate, pistachio. They have a bunch of non-frozen drinks like flavored lemonades and flavored coconut milks. Pink drink, paradise drink, all sorts of stuff! 

Our closest Starbucks is 45 min away, so I never get it unless I'm somewhere out, so it's still kind of a treat place for us. We have 3 Dunks within 10 minutes though! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Is there anything good there that is dairy and caffeine free… that is still a sweet and tasty splurge? Without chocolate? Anything? Anything at all?

One of my dds loves the iced peach green tea. I like it, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Vanilla bean frappuccino (basically a vanilla milkshake). They have a whole lineup now of flavored, non-coffee ones, too - I just checked their menu. Lavender, strawberry creme, chocolate, pistachio. They have a bunch of non-frozen drinks like flavored lemonades and flavored coconut milks. Pink drink, paradise drink, all sorts of stuff! 

Our closest Starbucks is 45 min away, so I never get it unless I'm somewhere out, so it's still kind of a treat place for us. We have 3 Dunks within 10 minutes though! 

I don’t think the vanilla frap is dairy free. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Wow! I can’t even believe coffee could cost that much! Also, I have never had Starbucks. 

Are you a non-coffee drinker? (Gasp!) My SIL only goes to SB if she’s meeting someone there, and does not order coffee if she must go. I think she gets a tea drink.

If you are a coffee drinker, and have never had SB — I want to congratulate you!

SB prices are too high for coffee that is just okay. It leans acidic, and a bit burned. I like beans roasted a bit less, and prefer their blonde roasts over their usual dark, dark roasts. We generally default to any other coffee place, but I will definitely grab a cappuccino there if all else fails. But I would totally take a free drink! Dawn scored!

In the 90s, I studied at SB, and always had free drinks — lots of barista friends. For years I’d walk into SB and have a mini panic attack that I needed to study for something. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

My daughter was a barista for Peets and now that's all I drink.  I can't do SB anymore.  But my husband still goes occasionally and my son will sometimes get himself a frappachino!

Peets in the grocery store seems to have gone down hill a bit.   I used to go to the one in Pasadena and loved it.

We have a small coffee shop locally that roasts their own beans (or they have them roasted for them, not sure) that I go to.   I prefer that and buy beans from them to bring home.

• Like 2