Menu

Recommendations for a keto or low-carb substitute for pasta? (Best flavor/texture?)

Halftime Hope

Family member wants to try a substitute for pasta (everything from spaghetti to egg noodles and bite-sized pastas, to --rarely -- lasagna noodles).  [ETA: I've tried veggie subs at times, but it doesn't go over well. I'm talking about dried noodles or pasta from a box.]

Anyone have any brands they like? Texture is probably a bit more important than taste. 

Please indicate if keto or if low carb.

Also if you've tried ones that are terrible, that would be good to know. 😄

Thank you very much!!

Edited by Halftime Hope

I like Palmini noodles best, which is made from hearts of palm and sold in cans. The cheapest place is usually Walmart, but sometimes it’s carried in Dollar Tree & is even cheaper. I grew up eating “swamp cabbage” so I don’t mind the slightly tart flavor. If you want it to taste like flour pasta, be sure to rinse it well first, before heating and mixing in sauce. And don’t eat the whole can the first time in case it causes digestive distress. 

There’s also something called Shirataki noodles that are often sold near the mushrooms or tofu in the produce section. They’re made of some kind of seaweed and are extremely low in calories and are essentially flavorless. I loved them but I ended up sitting on the toilet until 2 am because they triggered diarrhea. 

• Like 1

Thanks, all. I'm interested in non-fresh-veggie options. (Picky eater, but honestly, if you can't taste anything and all you have to go on is the memory to substitute for taste, I get it. Annoying, but I get it.) It's a miracle PE is willing to try something else.

Any boxed pasta subs that tasted pretty good or had good texture?

TIA!

Zoodles (spiralized zucchini) or spaghetti squash are my go to for really low carb; when I'm being less restrictive, garbanzo/chickpea pasta (dry in a box). 

I've tried both black bean and lentil pasta as well, and... just no. They are much better in their whole form!  The chickpea pasta is really good, though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MEmama said:

This edamame "pasta" is pretty good, the key is to not overcook. It does has a nice texture, especially the fettuccine. We stock up when it's on sale.

https://www.vitacost.com/seapoint-farms-organic-edamame-pasta-fettucine

Hm, I'll look for this. I haven't seen a bean pasta that comes in long form. For the chickpea stuff, I always get spirals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Hm, I'll look for this. I haven't seen a bean pasta that comes in long form. For the chickpea stuff, I always get spirals.

Our local co-op sells it; maybe you can find it locally too. I just sent a link in case it's easier for someone to buy it that way.

DH recommends the fettuccine over the spaghetti because the spaghetti is very easy to overcook.

I’ve seen pasta made with green beans at the Asian market. Ds liked it, but I doubt anything made with a bean is going to be low carb. 

You might all be more satisfied if you deconstruct those meals and try to get the flavors without pasta. Maybe chicken parm with no pasta or veggie alfredo or bolognese over sautéed carrot, onion, and zucchini strips. 

I know that when you want pasta you WANT pasta so I’d be asking the same question. Actually, I’ve just learned that this Kitchenaid pasta extruder exists so I’d probably use it as an excuse to buy the attachment and make my own GF egg pastas. 

On 2/4/2024 at 11:03 AM, Halftime Hope said:

Yes, lower carb and lower glycemic index.

Lower glycemic index doesn’t mean an individual will not still respond with high blood sugar—beans mess with my blood sugar, for instance, more than some outright sugary stuff.

Konjac noodles might be worth trying. I’ve been scared off by low carb substitutes, so I have a bag but am afraid to try these, lol! I think they come in a variety of forms/names depending on brand. They are from a tuber of some sort and are supposedly pretty bland and take on the taste of the dish they are in.

22 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

You might all be more satisfied if you deconstruct those meals and try to get the flavors without pasta. Maybe chicken parm with no pasta or veggie alfredo or bolognese over sautéed carrot, onion, and zucchini strips. 

I agree. This is my typical approach.

I do use a cauliflower crust for pizza. It’s not bad. Some things might be good with riced cauliflower instead of rice if this person also is looking for a low carb solution for rice. Not all brands taste the same or have the same texture—I swear some just use all stem. 

Just eat the pasta sauce by itself with a healthy side.  Of course, this is not an option for lasagne.  I have tried spiraled vegetables and many brands of protein pasta products, only to be disappointed in all of them as pasta substitutes.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

You have to test your blood sugar to know how your body responds. Dh cant tolerate beans or grains in any variety without blood sugar spikes (and is not diabetic or overweight at all). 

We've got the testing dialed in. The weirdest thing is that pasta with ground beef and marinara or spaghetti sauce drops his blood sugar. Yep, drops it. It's the weirdest thing.

Edited by Halftime Hope

33 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

We've got the testing dialed in. The weirdest thing is that pasta with ground beef and marinara or spaghetti sauce drops his blood sugar. Yep, drops it. It's the weirdest thing.

When is he testing? It may spike it high first—at one hour and then drop it lower ( bc of all the insulin that is pumped out) by two hours.