Menu

Anyone Traveling for the Eclipse?

JustEm

10 minutes ago, Beth S said:

FWIW, here's the NWS website's Cloud Predictions:

https://www.weather.gov/bou/2024SolarEclipse

It's updated several times a day.

I wonder if some folks will ditch their plans and head north by east based on this map? Like @MEmamasays, supplies will be a challenge - bring toilet paper but understand that the ground is still frozen and the lakes are not so you can't dig a hole but you can fall through the ice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Beth S said:

FWIW, here's the NWS website's Cloud Predictions:

https://www.weather.gov/bou/2024SolarEclipse

It's updated several times a day.

59 minutes ago, Kassia said:

We're "iffy" - this is the latest forecast I've seen:

New elipse cloud forecast! Likely sunny: Burlington and northern New England + Indianapolis to Carbondale Iffy: Dallas, Little Rock, Cleveland, Buffalo Meh: San Antonio, Austin

Thank you @Beth S  This is much more helpful than my forecast!  😂

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Any worries about being on a plane that day?  

I sure hope not! I’m flying cross country that day. 
it wasn’t intentional, I didn’t realize til after I booked it.

• Like 1

We made it to Mounds State Park in Indiana on yesterday.  The timing worked out well as my daughter's senior showcase is tonight and her senior recital is Sunday.  It was so funny when I made the reservations 6 months ago or whenever it opened, I was going to leave on Monday like we normally do.  However, it wouldn't let me.  We had to stay through Tuesday because of the eclipse, which I hadn't even realized was the same weekend.  Makes sense. It just wasn't on my radar when I made the reservation.  So we are staying through Tuesday.  I think we are getting nearly 4 minutes of the total eclipse here. So it really worked out well. 

• Like 2

Memphis is FULL. We were downtown for a Broadway tour show lasr night, and I'm not used to there being this many people even during Memphis in May, Elvis Week, or the Liberty Bowl! Lots and lots of out of state plates. 

I hope they're all able to make it up to the region of totality. My guess is that they booked rooms here because it was as close as they could get, but the interstate is going to be a mess, especially with the I-55 bridge still down for repairs. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 2

Yesterday, as I was running errands in my area, which will be in totality, there were Department of Transportation signs out: "Eclipse: Arrive Early, Stay Put, Leave Late."

I was also taking calls on Friday at work, asking if our privately owned parking lots were open for people to come view on site, and if there were events for the public. (No to both.)

Our student life staff have done a bang-up job planning fun, and all classes from 12-3PM have been asked to provide asynchronous learning, so students can participate. 

I have seen that some municipalities have viewing events planned, similar to festivals. I'm glad that's the case. 🙂

• Like 6

There doesn’t seem to be much out of town traffic where we’re staying, even though we’re within totality in NE Ohio.  I’m going to fill up on gas this afternoon, just in case.  

Still waiting to decide if we’ll drive north or west tomorrow.  Northeast doesn’t look promising.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amira said:

There doesn’t seem to be much out of town traffic where we’re staying, even though we’re within totality in NE Ohio.  I’m going to fill up on gas this afternoon, just in case.  

Still waiting to decide if we’ll drive north or west tomorrow.  Northeast doesn’t look promising.  

I'm in NE Ohio too. Ds2 and his gf are coming and I feel bad since it's still so iffy on viewing conditions.  

• Like 2

On 4/5/2024 at 6:56 AM, Tenaj said:

We live in totality but I just realized that I probably should get my elderly aunt to my house because her helper leaves at 2 and eclipse happens after that and I'm afraid she'll go outside without the glasses so I probably need to supervise her but she lives in the other side of town and it will probably be a mess getting her back home.  And basically I don't want to deal with it - just want to enjoy eclipse day with my kids as dh will be out of town on business.  

My dear aunt solved the problem for me.  She was at church and I mentioned that I was sending two pairs of eclipse glasses home with her so she could watch the eclipse tomorrow and she started shaking her head and said, "I've already gone to see one of those, I'm not going tomorrow.". I told her she didn't have to go anywhere - that all she had to do was step outside the front door but she shook her head and repeated "I've already gone to see one of those and I'm not going to bother looking at it tomorrow".  I tried really hard not to laugh but I looked up at my mother-in-law and she was looking at Aunt (her sister-in-law) like she had two heads - LOL!  Anyway, I guess I don't need to worry about dear aunt after all.  Once you've seen one eclipse, you've seen them all 😁

• Haha 9

We are near Pangburn, AR outside of Heber Springs. The view is lovely. We have had really nice night sky viewing since we arrived but there is a prediction for partly cloudy tomorrow. Fingers crossed. We have the proper sun filters for our telescope lens  which would allow us to watch the eclipse by scope IF the clouds clear. 

I am worried about the Tuesday trip home. We are leaving at 5:30 am and hoping for two things. 1. Some of the people started heading home after the eclipse tomorrow thus slightly less congestion. 2. That the sides roads I have found if the interstates are traffic jams will allow us to keep moving along. Mark needs to be at work Wednesday, thankfully remote so if we don't make it home, we can find hi speed and maybe a place quiet enough for him to work. But mostly, we really need to make it home. Our poor old dog is who is being well taken care of by my mom is getting rather depressed about how long we have been gone.

8 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

My dear aunt solved the problem for me.  She was at church and I mentioned that I was sending two pairs of eclipse glasses home with her so she could watch the eclipse tomorrow and she started shaking her head and said, "I've already gone to see one of those, I'm not going tomorrow.". I told her she didn't have to go anywhere - that all she had to do was step outside the front door but she shook her head and repeated "I've already gone to see one of those and I'm not going to bother looking at it tomorrow".  I tried really hard not to laugh but I looked up at my mother-in-law and she was looking at Aunt (her sister-in-law) like she had two heads - LOL!  Anyway, I guess I don't need to worry about dear aunt after all.  Once you've seen one eclipse, you've seen them all 😁

I mean, she's not wrong 🤷‍♀️

I'm not going out tomorrow. We'll be at like 97% totality or something and I couldn't care less. 

When I was a kid my dad made me do the pinhole camera thing for a partial eclipse even though I didn't want to. I found it creepy and boring  and I cried and of course got laughed at and had to do it anyway. "You'll never forget this" I was told. Yep, that was true. I still find it creepy and boring and still want nothing to do with it. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 6

I live in the path of totality. We have groceries and gas. and plan to walk tomorrow to our friends BBQ, and then to a park with our mini poodle during the eclipse. Not driving anywhere! 

Heard an excerpt of Annie Dillard’s essay below, Total Eclipse, that really intrigued me, and a scientist who said being in totality even with clouds is much more interesting than a partial eclipse in full sun. As long as some brightness is shining through the clouds, he said, it’s quite dramatic to see the world go dark. 

That was great to hear because it’s going to be partly cloudy here tomorrow and I’m not going anywhere else! 

https://pioneerworks.org/broadcast/total-eclipse-annie-dillard

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

I'm not going out tomorrow. We'll be at like 97% totality or something and I couldn't care less. 

When I was a kid my dad made me do the pinhole camera thing for a partial eclipse even though I didn't want to. I found it creepy and boring  and I cried and of course got laughed at and had to do it anyway. "You'll never forget this" I was told. Yep, that was true. I still find it creepy and boring and still want nothing to do with it. 🤷‍♀️

97% is couldn’t care less. So is 99%. 

Totality is life changing and transcendent. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

I think we’re sisters. My apparently very unpopular opinion is that eclipses are hugely overrated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Have you ever seen a total eclipse in person?

No. And I have no desire to. If I were in the path of totality I doubt that I’d spend a dollar to buy glasses to look at it. It’s just my thing. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

No. And I have no desire to. If I were in the path of totality I doubt that I’d spend a dollar to buy glasses to look at it. It’s just my thing. 

Infidel.

If eclipse evangelists come knocking on your door today you will know that I sent them.

😇😁☀️🌕🌚

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I think we’re sisters. My apparently very unpopular opinion is that eclipses are hugely overrated. 

Honestly, if we were not here for my daughter's performances, I doubt I would have gone out at all at home.  I will because we are here, but somehow I doubt I will find it "transcendent," but who knows.  But yeah, it is just a part of nature.  I totally understand. 

• Like 4

Very sunny this morning and the forecast just it will be less than 30% cloud coverage.

Add me to the list of someone who just doesn't care.  I can't really figure out why.  But I have seen them before and just not been impressed.  So it just is another time it is happening.  I guess more than anything is the hype that this  has been getting with everyone.  That just turns me off to hear about something over and over and  over again.  

I may or may not remember to even look outside at the time it is going to happen.  That is just a super busy time of day for us.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Glasses are just for looking at the sun during the partial eclipse. During the few minutes of totality, no glasses. (I think I remember someone on these boards posting that they missed totality in 2017 because they thought they had to wear the glasses during it.) 

And it's absolutely amazing. The moment totality is over and you're back to partial, it's back to a state where one could very easily not even notice that it's happening. 

Edited by purpleowl
Clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We traveled a couple hours north to totality and no traffic so far. We’re going to a friend’s house about 15 minutes from here but not expecting any traffic from what we’ve seen. If it’s bad, we can just stay here. I’m excited! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Perfect skies here.

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Here too!  Our forecast wasn't looking good, but we're clear!  🙂

You guys are so lucky!!

43 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

High thin clouds here. We’re seeing a good bit of it, intermittently. Curious what totality will be like with the clouds.

We had complete cloud cover (in the path of totality). We couldn't see anything. It just got really dark. 🫤

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

45 minutes ago, Soror said:

Our totality ended about 10 minutes ago. We got a bit over 4 minutes. The skies were perfect. It was lovely! The best part to me is hearing the crickets just like at night.

We heard an owl and our spring peepers came out at totality and then stopped when it was over.  So cool!  

45 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

You guys are so lucky!!

We had complete cloud cover (in the path of totality). We couldn't see anything. It just got really dark. 🫤

So lucky!  I'm sorry about yours.  Our great viewing was completely unexpected.  

39 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

It was completely clear skies here. It was amazing. Dh got some good pictures.

Sorry for those who missed it

I thought it was amazing too.  I didn't expect it to be like that and am so grateful we got to experience it.  

• Like 11

We drove from Florida to Indiana to see it. We saw the one in 2017 (very close to my parents' house so we visited them and then drove into totality on the day of), but the kids were too little to remember much/anything. They are 15, 12, and 10 now, so this one will stick with them. And it was amazing - a marvelous display of our Creator's power and glory. All three kids were just wowed. As soon as totality ended, DD#2 said, "I NEED TO GO TALK TO SOMEBODY I DON’T KNOW ABOUT THIS!" 🤣

We're very glad we made the trip. 🙂

Here's a picture my DH got - somebody just handed him a filter thing to put over the lens on his phone camera, and he got some good ones! 

1712603204629.thumb.jpg.277600ab8d7e01c187c8aa5d2a3e2f1a.jpg

• Like 16

26 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I thought it was amazing too.  I didn't expect it to be like that and am so grateful we got to experience it.  

I'm so glad you were able to experience it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, purpleowl said:

We drove from Florida to Indiana to see it. We saw the one in 2017 (very close to my parents' house so we visited them and then drove into totality on the day of), but the kids were too little to remember much/anything. They are 15, 12, and 10 now, so this one will stick with them. And it was amazing - a marvelous display of our Creator's power and glory. All three kids were just wowed. As soon as totality ended, DD#2 said, "I NEED TO GO TALK TO SOMEBODY I DON’T KNOW ABOUT THIS!" 🤣

We're very glad we made the trip. 🙂

Here's a picture my DH got - somebody just handed him a filter thing to put over the lens on his phone camera, and he got some good ones! 

1712603204629.thumb.jpg.277600ab8d7e01c187c8aa5d2a3e2f1a.jpg

We came to Indiana from Delaware. Perfect skies! Dh got some great pictures as well but they're on our camera not phone.

We met a guy who brought eclipse binoculars. He let me try them out, it was awesome. 

• Like 6

For me, the most fascinating part in environmental change was how cold it got. It had been in the 70s and then during totality I had to put my hoodie back on.

We're driving back to our Airbnb and so far haven't hit any traffic!

• Like 7