Menu

What does this phrase mean to you?

Scarlett

I've always heard mojo as energy. Jo is slang for coffee, some more jo, mojo, drinking your coffee, getting your mojo. 

I would assume it's a sign of respect, that she brings a lot of energy to what she does. I would also sort of quietly assume it means horizontally. But hey, who knows. If the woman likes it, it's fine. 

Oh look, Oxford say it's slang for magic charm, talisman.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 4

To me, it means like an ability that seems like magic.  So someone could definitely have mojo in the form of being supernaturally attractive, but there’s also this guy in my office who has copy machine mojo and can clear any jam.  I have mad respect for his copy machine mojo but I am not at all attracted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I googled because it has a connotation to me too. The first definition is personal magnetism or charm. The second is sex appeal or sex drive. I think this might be one of those things that isn’t okay in the South (Bible Belt) or in religious communities but depends on context everywhere else. I’d be pretty offended if my DH was calling a woman that. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Ok, thanks y’all.  To me it has a sexual connotation.   Glad to see it doesn’t for everyone.

Ftr, isn’t my husband saying this to another woman.,

While I know of the sexual connotation that’s not where my mind would go if I heard it as a nickname.  No more than when a guy named Richard goes by Dick.  

• Like 3

I think of it as very sporty, to the point I’m surprised to see the dictionary definition.  

Like — I feel like I’ve seen cheerleaders hold up signs saying “mo” and “jo” to get half the crowd to yell each part.  

I feel like I hear announcers say “let’s see some mojo on the field.”  

I do remember Austin Powers but I don’t think I have heard it used that way.  

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I googled because it has a connotation to me too. The first definition is personal magnetism or charm. The second is sex appeal or sex drive. I think this might be one of those things that isn’t okay in the South (Bible Belt) or in religious communities but depends on context everywhere else. I’d be pretty offended if my DH was calling a woman that. 

Me too.  And he said it in text with a heart face.  ‘My little Mojo’. 

2 hours ago, Katy said:

My initial experience with the phrase goes to blues music, as in Muddy Waters, "I got my mojo workin' but it don't work on you." Also Jim Morrison with the anagram of his own name "Mr. Mojo risin'" in the Doors' song LA Woman, which I always thought had sexual overtones to it.

Edited by knitgrl

15 hours ago, Scarlett said:

So how would you feel if your husband said it to another woman?

🤷🏻‍♀️ Absent other clues that he’s exceptionally fond of her, I would just think he admires the energy she brings to things. 

ETA: that’s what I get for responding before I’ve read it all. Though my post still makes sense, but with emphasis on “Absent other clues…”. 

Edited by Ginevra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are you saying YOUR dh did this? Or *someone’s* dh, just not yours? I’m confused, but whatever the case is, I definitely wouldn’t like my husband texting “My little Mojo” with heart face to another woman. Or my little anything to another woman. Or a heart face to another woman. 

• Like 3

Mojo is innocent to me. The rest of the text is problematic!! 

Unless it is just a silly joke between them. Not meaning it like it reads, more sarcastic in tone that you can’t read in a text. 

BF pats me on the head and says “good girl” just to tease me. (Like you would do to a dog). I told him one that I hated being treated that way metaphorically…. So he does it literally….as a joke. 🤣If someone saw him do that, they would be appalled, but to us, it is just a silly joke. He will text it to me sometimes but no-one would know the story if they read it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

It was not a silly joke IMO. It was flirty.  Wife called him on it and he apologized. 

Is this the same friend you've told us about (the one who is having all the trouble with her dh,) or is this a different friend?

If it's your best friend and she saw that text, I think it's well past time she hired a private investigator to see what he's up to. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

It was not a silly joke IMO. It was flirty.  Wife called him on it and he apologized. 

That's one way to get an honest answer. Not. 

Now he'll just take what he's doing underground. 

He's already moved passed flirting when he's thanking someone for the energy they brings to their interactions. Your friend needs more than a dictionary.

• Like 2