Menu

What makes a good macaroni and cheese? also, please share a recipe if you have one

lynn

Yes, start with a roux.  I add a mixture of mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg to the roux to warm the nutmeg and pepper some. 

Next is the cream and milk.  2/3 cream, 1/3 milk.  Heat it before adding the cheese, whisking it in until it's fully melted.  Ours varies (I tend to buy the really cheap end bits from the deli, about $2/lb) but if you want divine add a good amount of grated smoked gouda.  It adds a depth and richness that makes folks lick their spoon.  Make the sauce a tad runnier than you think, and definitely get it smooth, with everything melted and integrated.

The noodles.  SALT THE WATER.  For the love of all that is holy, give the water the flavor of the Dead Sea.  Okay, maybe not that much, but you want the noodles to have flavor of their own.  I tend to use elbows, cavatappi, or shells, something that will grip the sauce.  Spoon the noodles into the sauce until you have the appropriate consistency (goodness knows I've made too many noodles before and it's just easier to do it this way, setting the extra aside for a healthier pasta salad with actual vegetables).  Off it goes into an oven proof dish.

Topping.  A bit of butter melted in a pan, seasoned breadcrumbs, stir over medium heat until browned.  Top the mac & cheese with extra cheese and then the breadcrumbs.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (longer if made ahead of time and set aside, you want it warm in the middle) until the topping is melted and a bit of a crust.

It's a recipe that's just one you play around with, since different cheeses have different water content and melting points.  We do a white cheddar and truffle mac to go with steak (and season the breadcrumbs with an extra bit of truffle powder), or a generic "cheese ends" one for middle of winter dinner.  Use just about anything except heavily processed cheeses.

• Like 7

I like a fancier Mac and cheese but my standard recipe for family gatherings is made by my dd. It’s the Velveeta Down Home Mac and Cheese.

It starts with a roux…but it uses Velveeta…so it is kinda fancy but kinda not. Lol. It also calls for sharp cheddar in addition to the Velveeta (I think- we throw in whatever cheese we have on hand). It has a crispy topping too. It is always well received. Kids will eat it but it is better than straight from a box.

• Like 2

Roux, sharp cheddar and paprika that's the baseline. You can further elevate by adding other cheeses, using heavy cream, and adding toppings (bacon, fried pickles, fried onion, anything crunchy/salty/big flavors). 

Edited by Clarita
changed heavy flavors to big flavors
  • Like 1

This is the closest I can find online to the recipe I use:
https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

I don't use an immersion blender, as it comes together without it. And I use 2 teaspoons of citric acid + 2.5 teaspoons of baking soda in place of the sodium citrate. While making the sauce, it looks like it won't possibly work until suddenly it does.

ETA: oh, and I add seasonings like paprika, mustard powder, black pepper, etc. 

Edited by silver

20 minutes ago, silver said:

This is the closest I can find online to the recipe I use:
https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

I don't use an immersion blender, as it comes together without it. And I use 2 teaspoons of citric acid + 2.5 teaspoons of baking soda in place of the sodium citrate. While making the sauce, it looks like it won't possibly work until suddenly it does.

ETA: oh, and I add seasonings like paprika, mustard powder, black pepper, etc. 

That’s the base recipe I use too.  I do use sodium citrate and don’t use an immersion blender . . . a whisk works just fine.  I also add the shredded cheese by the handful, not one spoonful at a time.  

My youngest likes when I use the roux method for baked Mac & cheese.  It results in a starchy casserole.  If I want a texture that’s more like a dish of pasta than a casserole I use the modernist cuisine method.  The flavor is more intense — it’s Cheese! rather than a cheese-infused white sauce. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danae said:

If I want a texture that’s more like a dish of pasta than a casserole I use the modernist cuisine method.  The flavor is more intense — it’s Cheese! rather than a cheese-infused white sauce. 

The cheesy flavor (rather than milk flavored like cheese that a roux seems to make) is why I use that recipe. 

• Like 1

I almost forgot about this one:  When my children were young and my dh was traveling all.the.time, I needed meals that were (a) quick and easy, and (b) the children would eat.  I called this vegetable Mac & cheese:  Boil a large pot of water - throw in a package of frozen broccoli-cauliflower-carrots.  Add the appropriate amount of pasta.  Cook until done.   Drain the vegetable and pasta, return to pot.   Stir in enough grated cheese to make it taste good.  Add Salt & pepper to taste.  

Sounds kinda weird but everybody loved it.  Was it as good as the fancier Mac & cheese recipes? No.  Was it WAY easier?  Yes.

😊

• Like 2