Menu

Keeping the bowls moving when you leave for work early

Ginevra

P@@p content trigger warning

I pretty much never have ever had this issue. I drink a lot of water, drink magnesium tea at night almost daily, eat plenty of plant foods, exercise, drink black coffee every morning…

The one difference is that I leave for work quite early and do not move my bowls before I leave. This maybe functions like Kramer’s “missed window of opportunity” like in the Seinfeld episode. It can easily become a few days before things are ready to roll and then, it’s not as smooth as I am used to. 

Additionally, it’s psychologically hard for me to go at an office bathroom. So I think this plays a role as well. 

What do you recommend for getting back to a regular schedule with these parameters? 

I had this same issue when I started working away from home. I don't have a problem going in public/work toilets, so I was able to go when my body was finally ready, but often I'd just end up waiting until I got back home again. Fortunately I only worked 2 days a week, so my body had the opportunity to be on its normal schedule all the other days.

Hopefully your body will get used to the routine. I find that certain drinks/food really helps, like coffee, but there are just some weeks when I'm all messed up. Sorry you're experiencing this.

A friend and I somehow were discussing this issue, and she mentioned that a certain bran cereal from Costco was her magic formula. She even brings it along on vacations with her, and it keeps things regular. Maybe you can find that magic formula with some experimenting? All the best!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wintermom said:

friend and I somehow were discussing this issue, and she mentioned that a certain bran cereal from Costco was her magic formula. She even brings it along on vacations with her, and it keeps things regular. Maybe you can find that magic formula with some experimenting? All the best!

It’s worth a try for sure!

What if you tried drinking the magnesium tea earlier? I take about 400-600 mg of mag citrate daily, and pretty much as soon as I am vertical in the morning, those bowls are rolling.  (I know my dosage may make other people sick, so I'm not advising, just reporting.)  So, magnesium can help but maybe it doesn't have enough time to work for you?

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, marbel said:

What if you tried drinking the magnesium tea earlier? I take about 400-600 mg of mag citrate daily, and pretty much as soon as I am vertical in the morning, those bowls are rolling.  (I know my dosage may make other people sick, so I'm not advising, just reporting.)  So, magnesium can help but maybe it doesn't have enough time to work for you?

That’s a good idea.

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Is there a private bathroom that you can discover at work? I found a single-person one that had been designated 'gender-neutral' in my office building.

Maybe? Possibly on a different floor. Yesterday I actually went to a different floor so I wouldn’t run into any of my workmates. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ginevra said:

Maybe? Possibly on a different floor. Yesterday I actually went to a different floor so I wouldn’t run into any of my workmates. 

This is what I do, and at one school it isn't hard, but at the other school......ugh, the bathrooms are in the main office, and right outside of the bathrooms is the copier and teacher work area.....so, nope!   One day I actually snuck out and drove home in order to use a private bathroom!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Ginevra said:

I have not but I was considering it. 

They have a berry flavor that is palatable. I mix one tsp in a 20 oz. bottle and drink it after dinner. You can do two a day if need be. Also when I was in rehab they served me warmed prune juice at breakfast that also tasted pretty good. I take 400mg of mag citrate three times a day (for medical reasons) and seem to regularly go to the bathroom right before bedtime. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

I had this same issue when I started working away from home. I don't have a problem going in public/work toilets, so I was able to go when my body was finally ready, but often I'd just end up waiting until I got back home again. Fortunately I only worked 2 days a week, so my body had the opportunity to be on its normal schedule all the other days.

Hopefully your body will get used to the routine. I find that certain drinks/food really helps, like coffee, but there are just some weeks when I'm all messed up. Sorry you're experiencing this.

A friend and I somehow were discussing this issue, and she mentioned that a certain bran cereal from Costco was her magic formula. She even brings it along on vacations with her, and it keeps things regular. Maybe you can find that magic formula with some experimenting? All the best!

I eat Life cereal when things get difficult. It makes a great snack

• Like 1

Omg yes to this question!  I am regular but now I have to get up way earlier and have the same issue. I also work part-time so on days I don't work I sleep later. 

Our restrooms are single-room only accessed with a key so it's pretty private but I would rather do it at home. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ginevra said:

I do exercise but it’s just not helping *that* issue at the moment. 

Exercise didn't work for me, either. I'd walk 30 minutes to work and nothing was moving. It was frustrating. I have the same thing happen when I'm on vacation away from home. It's really weird, like my body just knows that I'm doing something different than the norm. 😉 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Get some poopouri for your purse.  Go at work.  Get paid for it.  

It's a power move.  

Seriously!   It really works. 

I drink a kale berry protein smoothie on the way to work and I always have to go as soon as I get to work.  I make sure I have the poopouri in my pocket before I get out of the car.  But make sure the cap is on tight.  One day, it leaked all over my scrubs (which, fortunately were black.)  Some people asked if I was using a new scented hand lotion. 😁

I haven't figured out how to fix the travel tummy (bowls not moving).  I may need to up my magnesium intake when I travel.

• Haha 2

For me this would totally fit the Missed Window of Opportunity scenario! I cannot make a bm happen at the office, either. Getting up at 445am is pretty dang early. New job for you, so I assume there’s no way to flex arrival time. 

Maybe instead of or with your evening tea you could have a fiber supplement (I prefer Konsyl) stirred into a glass of apple juice. That should have you ready to go right after your morning coffee. 

Geez Louise, the things we talk about here. 😂 I laugh but totally appreciate the real life group problem solving. 

• Like 3

On 7/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, SHP said:

Exercise will get things moving and have additional health benefits. 

On 7/14/2023 at 3:04 PM, Ginevra said:

I do exercise but it’s just not helping *that* issue at the moment. 

I've had this problem. Now when it gets bad, I do T-Tapp hoedowns on YouTube. Takes me about 5 min to do them and usually within 15 min, I need to go.

• Like 1

It’s worth noting that your bowels are trainable. It might benefit you to plan for a time that works every day. This might mean going earlier than you prefer on non work days, having a specific bedtime snack or early breakfast, and having a regular morning exercise routine. It doesn’t have to be a full workout, just some regular movement to wake up your body . . . maybe some stretching or going up and down your stairs or something you can manage in less than 10 minutes. 

You’ll also want to look at your diet and make sure you’re getting plenty of fruits and veggies and staying hydrated. Know how much water you need and have a clear plan for getting enough. If you don’t do a warm drink in the morning it can help to add one. You may even consider adding miralax until your body establishes a routine. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, y’all…continuing this fascinating discussion because I have moved into the territory of the Really Concerned. I am having a problem way beyond anything I have had on an ongoing basis in the past. I no longer think it is only about waking up/leaving for work early. We’re rapidly approaching Talk to Doctor territory. 

I am doing ALL the things. But I didn’t do ALL the things Sunday because I was going on the hike. But by Monday after work I was in a real Situation. Let’s just say it required externally-introduced tools. And, eventually, also a toilet plunger. 

I did all the things last night and today. I did go but it was not comfy. And that was WITH laxatives, three water bottle refills, two cups of coffee, probiotic yogurt with real blueberries and zucchini/tomato lunch. Last night I had magnesium tea, a bowl of bran cereal and coconut water. Oh, and I did yoga this morning. 

I’m concerned. 

• Sad 1

A bowl of bran cereal would lock me up for a month! All the other things sound right - have you tried the miralax yet? You can get a little container for just a seven day dosage. 

If you take an evening walk might that help you have a movement at bedtime? Switch your larger meal of the day from dinner to lunch time so it has more time to process? That may help you not feel tense about not having time to go in the morning (I can’t go if I feel pressed for time).

I’m sorry you’re having this issue, it’s truly miserable. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

I'd use Miralax daily for several weeks. Give your body time to get cleared out and to adjust to the new schedule. Then gradually wean off--cut back to half a dose a day, or a dose every other day--and see what happens. I'm so sorry you're having this issue, it's miserable. As someone with IBS-C I can tell you that many of the suggestions that have been offered on this thread would make matters significantly worse for me rather than helping. The common wisdom of more fiber is often wrong, unless it's the specific right kind of fiber for you (soluble versus insoluble especially). And you can only figure that out by experimenting. But you don't want to be experimenting while things are bad. Get the problem solved with regular Miralax, then experiment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just throwing this out there as it seemed to be the only thing that worked when my dad lived with us and he was having issues, and it is super cheap.   They used to sell little bottles of it, with flavor in it.   But you can make your own and add whatever you want to it.

Epson Salt

How do you take Epsom salts as a laxative?

Adults and children aged 12 years or older may take 2 to 6 level teaspoons daily. Children ages 6 to 12 years old may take 1 to 2 level teaspoons daily. Children under age 6 years should not use Epsom salt, as a laxative, unless a doctor recommends this treatment. Mix the Epsom salts into an 8-ounce glass of water.Jun 16, 2018