Menu

how many garments do you have in your wardrobe?

I read the linked article.  It was interesting to see how far down the consumption list India is.  Every Indian person I know just loves clothes - they like to wear a whole new outfit every time they do anything special with other people - which is often.  So like 5 entire newly tailored outfits for one wedding (various ceremonies).  They definitely have way more clothes than I have.  These folks are above-average economically (by Indian standards), but not super-rich.

And what a relief for the US to not be the most consuming country for once.  😛  (JUST KIDDING!)

Does anyone else save clothes in case their kids will ever want them?  I do this.  I thought I was just kidding myself, but recently my youngest (who is about my size) has happily accepted my hand-me-down black jeans (for work) and a flannel shirt (they came back in style I guess), and asked for two of my old sweatshirts.  So maybe I'm not crazy after all?

Edited by SKL

28 minutes ago, SKL said:

Does anyone else save clothes in case their kids will ever want them?  I do this.  I thought I was just kidding myself, but recently my youngest (who is about my size) has happily accepted my hand-me-down black jeans (for work) and a flannel shirt (they came back in style I guess), and asked for two of my old sweatshirts.  So maybe I'm not crazy after all?

My DD 16 will wear some of my clothes. She stalks them and I usually have to hound her to get them back!  Some things she just keeps.  She doesn't share though! 

• Haha 1

Probably 200, but in this very-cold-in-winter 4 season area and with my activities, I use them all. I have almost no fashionable clothes, just two pretty dresses, and one black funeral outfit. The rest of my clothes get used outside until they fall apart (which is sooner now than in decades past). My sister was going to donate my mom's clothes from the 70s-90s, but I stopped her and added them to my hundreds. Every one of those items (mostly from L. L. Bean) is of much better fabric quality and sewn so much better than anything I have bought in the 2000s (even from L. L. Bean--their clothes are really poorly made now), that they will last forever, even under my usage. 

I think people should have as many clothes as they use. It is silly to think that "74" is some ideal number. If I lived in the tropics and never did outdoor work and had the same non-interest in fashion, I could be happy with 21. But where I am and for what I do, I am happy with my hundreds. And if someone actually uses 100 frilly fashionable dresses throughout the year, they shouldn't feel bad about it. People who buy for a temporary "look" and toss, those people should consider alternatives, but people who use all the clothes they already have shouldn't give a second thought to an "ideal"number someone came up with so they could write an article.

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A lot. Clothing is my weakness. I loooove clothes. I am a minimalist with everything else, though.

I would guess maybe 400 tops and pants. I do wear everything, though, and what I don't wear goes to our local charity where it gets resold locally, to my knowledge. I've seen some of my donations on the sale racks there and one time I even saw someone in town wearing a unique shirt that I had embellished. lol

I have a lot of baseball caps, too, which I wear when working outdoors.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I actually started this thread because I thought it would be interesting to hear about how many  clothes others had in their wardrobe. it is interesting reading all the responses and different interpretations on it

Thanks for starting this thread! It's been an interesting exercise for me personally to confirm I'm happy with the direction my clothing choices and uses are going. There have definitely been times in the past where I accummulated too many items of clothing (and SHOES, which I LOVE!), but I've been very intentional about becoming more minimalist in this area. Partly because my closet is full of other things. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kalmia said:

I think people should have as many clothes as they use. It is silly to think that "74" is some ideal number.

I unintentionally did the 21 articles of clothing challenge once and survived for a few months on only around 20 something articles of clothing. (Due to life circumstances I lived out of a suitcase for 6 months following my marriage.) So I know I have too many pieces. I'm not naive enough to think that if I decluttered and donated my clothes that the bulk of it wouldn't end up in the trash. Plus it feels like sometimes all the decluttering and purging is just constantly buying other new things that need to be decluttered and purged later down the line. Thus I prefer to keep my old clutter to remind myself to stop purchasing. 

• Like 5

Every once in a while, I do an experiment and list out my top ten of something. You could do categories of clothes, which I just did. It helped me identify some duplicates, some just in cases (weight fluctuations), grungy stuff (which is where I realized that I'd thrashed or donated most of my remodeling cothes), and shoes that really don't work for me anymore. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I will have to count later but I am sure it is over 100 because I wear two different sizes due to weight fluctuations. Almost all of it is new never worn because I was down to a few pieces a few years ago and had start stocking up before my neurological collapse. Since then I rarely go anywhere and mostly wear pjs all the time. I am not a big clothing person but that seems like a small amount to me. I have 8 pairs of underwear, 4 bras, 6 pairs of socks. That's 18 pieces before I even put any clothes on. I have 4 bathrobes, probably 4 sets of pjs, 4 nightgowns. When you include shoes, cardigans, swimsuits it really starts to add up. On the other hand my clothes last forever as I can rotate them regularly so I don't know if I will ever really need to buy any more. I could probably cull some and since they are all in excellent condition I have thought about donating them to a women shelter or something like that. I do have one dd that is about my size so I would let her go through them first. 

• Like 1

I might have 74 pieces for each size that I might fit into on any given day! Thanks to being-a-woman, my body can fit into size 2-10 from the same brand of clothes.

So, I find what I like and buy it in all the colors and in a few sizes. If I'm feeling bloated one day, I go to that section of my closet. Simple as that, lol.

I have work/business clothes, workout clothes, running-errand clothes, working-at-home clothes, lounging-at-home clothes, date night clothes, and formalwear. It's a lot, but none of those things can crossover in my world - they're all very specific.

Now I am so tempted to go count the stuff in my closet. It does need cleared out. 🙃 There's stuff in there I haven't worn since before Covid that I should let go of.

• Like 3

I have quite a bit but a lot is due to various activities…..gym, water aerobics, kayaking, biking and hiking all require different outfits.  Then there are jackets and winter gear for snowshoeing and cross country skiing and winter hiking.

I have a simple wardrobe for work but again, 4 major seasons means various layers.

Then again most of my clothing is bought at thrift stores (often under $1/item) so my budget isn’t very big.

I’m curious if people’s wardrobes have changed at all since this thread started in May. I re-read this resurrected thread having just built a new closet (to replace our collapsing one). I had to touch every piece of clothing I own as part of the process so I did a sort as I went through.

Since May, I have worn out a few old cotton t-shirts and two pairs of jeans (holes/thin places that I didn’t want to patch) and replaced those with one wool tshirt and one wool dress. I also bought another pair of sandals to replace a worn out pair. 

Has anyone else been shopping? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My husband has finally agreed that I have more than sufficient shoes and outerwear and stop buying those. However he did get me two new bags (a clutch and a crossbody). I do need to get a few more summer t-shirts. 

Our shopping is mainly on getting DS18 clothes for college and dorm since he has very few tops, pants/jeans and sweat pants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I will be soon. I'm doing a major purge of anything that I don't like, is worn out, or is more than one size lower than what I currently wear. And then I will do some major shopping for fall & winter. I'll do the same around March for spring & summer. 

I will only get shoes if I want them & like a new style or color. Don't really need them. 

I'm on a frustrating crusade to find a handbag that works for being my "main, everyday" bag. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I’m curious if people’s wardrobes have changed at all since this thread started in May. I re-read this resurrected thread having just built a new closet (to replace our collapsing one). I had to touch every piece of clothing I own as part of the process so I did a sort as I went through.

Since May, I have worn out a few old cotton t-shirts and two pairs of jeans (holes/thin places that I didn’t want to patch) and replaced those with one wool tshirt and one wool dress. I also bought another pair of sandals to replace a worn out pair. 

I've decluttered a few more things since this thread. Also bought a couple more things - 2 new wool dresses and a dress to wear to be in my mom's wedding. Oh, and I ordered a pair of wool blend trousers to be dress pants for school days in the winter. 

But I got rid of a lot more than what new I bought. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, QueenCat said:

I'm on a frustrating crusade to find a handbag that works for being my "main, everyday" bag. 

I have an embarrassing amount of handbags. What kind of handbag are you looking for as an everyday bag? Like do you need one big enough for an iPad mini, one that has a water bottle compartment, or a tote where you can put small item purchases in if needed?  My current everyday bag is a suede backpack that is convertible as a sling bag.

3 athletic shorts

2 cargo shorts

3 athletic pants

3 cargo/hiking pants

5 daily shirts

3 T-shirts for organizations I volunteer with

1 dress shirt

1 dress pants

1 pair sandals

1 pair sneakers 

I need to buy boots for winter this year.

Basically, I have enough clothes for a load of laundry that includes sheets + 1-2 days extra. 

When I travel I take no more than 2 changes of clothes. If it is just me I wash the clothes daily. If with the family I find a laundromat that I can drop clothes off at in the morning and pick up in the evening. It is so much easier than trying to ensure everyone has enough of everything. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have an embarrassing amount of handbags. What kind of handbag are you looking for as an everyday bag? Like do you need one big enough for an iPad mini, one that has a water bottle compartment, or a tote where you can put small item purchases in if needed?  My current everyday bag is a suede backpack that is convertible as a sling bag.

My current travel bag is more like that. My everyday bag is this one: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/giani-bernini-faux-ostrich-mini-satchel-created-for-macys?ID=12873172&CategoryID=26846&isDlp=true. It's a tad too small and doesn't have the sections that I really like on the inside. I think I discovered on that will work while looking this one up to share with you. This one: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/giani-bernini-ostrich-embossed-dome-satchel-created-for-macys?ID=12873095&CategoryID=46013 . I don't like large totes. Too much ends up in them & then my shoulder hurts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, QueenCat said:

My current travel bag is more like that. My everyday bag is this one: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/giani-bernini-faux-ostrich-mini-satchel-created-for-macys?ID=12873172&CategoryID=26846&isDlp=true. It's a tad too small and doesn't have the sections that I really like on the inside. I think I discovered on that will work while looking this one up to share with you. This one: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/giani-bernini-ostrich-embossed-dome-satchel-created-for-macys?ID=12873095&CategoryID=46013 . I don't like large totes. Too much ends up in them & then my shoulder hurts.

Quoting myself... just ordered the new purse.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 11:20 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

I shopped for my kids. Not because of this thread, but a few years ago I've decided to try and not buy new clothing things until I actually need them. I need very little because I had/have so much (pretty sure I can find clothes in my closet with tags still on them). I'm slowly but surely wearing through my jeans and slip-on every day shoes... 

I have enough purses for a lifetime and then some. My little girl totally takes after my mom, she needs an outfit for every occasion and by occasion you know a different outfit is needed for Wednesday afternoons, whose date is divisible by 5 and with 3 wispy clouds in the sky vs no clouds.  

I’m not going to count all my clothes. I cringe when I think about it, just like I did when this b thread first came up. There are a lot. We have four seasons here, for one thing, and sometimes crazy weather changes in the same day so lots of layering.

But also it seems like every few years I have a sudden feeling like it is time to change things up. It’s been so h hot this summer and after I quit my “jeans and tee shirt” job, I decided I need more dresses (midi to maxi length, with pockets) to wear in this hot weather. So much more comfortable. So I’ve bought about six dresses, one of which I gave to my daughter because it looked really awful on me, and had no pockets either. But she likes black and it suits her better.  

i got rid of some of the tees from work, but also bought several more on impulse. I shop goodwill a lot, so impulse is neither expensive nor terrible for the planet, but my tee shirt drawer is very full now.

i keep trying to thin out the herd but haven’t been able to convince myself to get rid of much.  I have at least stopped buying more. The dress itch has been scratched and I just left goodwill today without even looking at clothes.

• Like 1