Menu

All Glory, Laud, and Honor

ktgrok

Did your church sing All Glory, Laud and Honor this past Sunday?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Did your church sing All Glory, Laud and Honor this past Sunday?

• Yes
    • Not this year, but we often do.
    • No, and we never/usually do not
    • Never heard of it

Did your church sing this on Palm Sunday this year? I usually attend Episcopal or RC churches, but am at a UCC church for Palm Sunday this year and we did not sing it. I was pretty bummed, but later in the service it was played quietly on the organ, during the collection. But not sung. And I missed it. But I was also feeling all sorts of denominationally homesick since this is the time of year that I miss the liturgical stuff the most, and the Psalm reading was the one that parts of the traditional liturgy are drawn from, which reminded me even more of those things. 

That said, I can't really complain, because the choir sung the heck out of My Eternal King, which I was not really familiar with but sounded amazing. (it was just the choir - they are mostly music majors from Rollins College and AMAZING). But now I'm worried I won't get "Hail Thee, Festival Day" next week, lol! 

Of course, then the sermon touched a lot on having multiple feelings, both good and bad, at the same time, and startings and endings, and that was pretty perfect for how I was feeling, so it's all good. 

But now I'm curious, is my expectation to hear All Glory, Laud, and Honor on Palm Sunday a common thing? 

Feel free to mention denomination as well, as I'm sure that is part of it. 

It was played by an adults and kids ensemble of piano, drum, flute, and saxophone at my husband's church last week (Brethren in Christ, Anabaptist). It sounds like a bit of an odd combination, but it was lovely. Very nicely done. 

I would expect to hear it at all the different denominations I've attended--independent Bible churches, Reformed Baptist, Independent Baptist, Wesleyan--even the UCC I attended when I was little. 🙂 I love, love, love traditional holiday music. 

Sorry you missed it, Katie! 

• Like 1

I have to say I was raised Catholic and went to a very old school Catholic K-8.  I went to church many times a week for years.  I had to look up on youtube. This song doesn't ring a bell with me at all and many do.  Maybe it's a particular church/choir director preference thing instead of a denomination thing.  Even our UU church dips into some of the classic hymms at times.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I actually would miss Hosanna Loud Hosanna more.  Luckily, we did both yesterday.

See, this is one that is not super familiar to me, but our church DID sing that one - but they did it while most of us were outside with our palms waiting to process in so I didn't hear it. Someone recorded it though, and posted it to the member facebook and it is on the website with the rest of the service. 

Maybe there is a divide between the Hosanna Loud Hosanna churches and the All Glory, Laud, and Honor churches?

Maybe a geographical divide more than theological? Mercy, you are in the South, right?

Edited by ktgrok

23 minutes ago, catz said:

I have to say I was raised Catholic and went to a very old school Catholic K-8.  I went to church many times a week for years.  I had to look up on youtube. This song doesn't ring a bell with me at all and many do.  Maybe it's a particular church/choir director preference thing instead of a denomination thing.  Even our UU church dips into some of the classic hymms at times.

Maybe it is just the Episcopal churches I remember it from? But I don't thinks so, I'm pretty positive the RC churches also sang it on Palm Sunday. 

Oh, could it be a geographical thing? hmmm....

Lutheran (LCMS), and I do expect to hear it (along with Hosanna, Loud Hosanna) - it does say Palm Sunday to me; and fortunately we sang both yesterday (plus the third of the three Palm Sunday hymns in the hymnal, Ride On, Ride On in Victory).  Although I was just talking to my sister, and while she of course knows it, she doesn't necessarily have expectations around it (which is good, because they didn't sing it at her church yesterday).

55 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

But now I'm worried I won't get "Hail Thee, Festival Day" next week, lol! 

And that is a hymn I'm not familiar with - Jesus Christ is Risen Today is what I expect for the opening Easter hymn.

• Like 1

Just now, forty-two said:

Lutheran (LCMS), and I do expect to hear it (along with Hosanna, Loud Hosanna) - it does say Palm Sunday to me; and fortunately we sang both yesterday (plus the third of the three Palm Sunday hymns in the hymnal, Ride On, Ride On in Victory).  Although I was just talking to my sister, and while she of course knows it, she doesn't necessarily have expectations around it (which is good, because they didn't sing it at her church yesterday).

And that is a hymn I'm not familiar with - Jesus Christ is Risen Today is what I expect for the opening Easter hymn.

Oh, we did sing Ride On, Ride On 🙂

And Jesus Christ is Risen Today is also one I expect and desire.Now that you mention it, I think it is usually the opening hymn, with Hail Thee Festival Day often the recessional?  I hope I get both, but I think I'll settle for either Hail Thee Festival Day OR Jesus Christ is Risen Today. Surely they will sing at least one of those, right? 

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, we did sing Ride On, Ride On 🙂

And Jesus Christ is Risen Today is also one I expect and desire.Now that you mention it, I think it is usually the opening hymn, with Hail Thee Festival Day often the recessional?  I hope I get both, but I think I'll settle for either Hail Thee Festival Day OR Jesus Christ is Risen Today. Surely they will sing at least one of those, right? 

You'd think so - I hope you get at least one of them 🙂.  Although my dh (the pastor) forgot to put in Jesus Christ Is Risen Today into this year's service :jawdrop:.  Fortunately I saw it before the bulletins were put together, so we could fix the horrible oversight ;).  I don't have any one hymn that stands out as *the* Easter closing hymn for me, but at this church people expect I Know My Redeemer Lives, so we usually do that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, forty-two said:

You'd think so - I hope you get at least one of them 🙂.  Although my dh (the pastor) forgot to put in Jesus Christ Is Risen Today into this year's service :jawdrop:.  Fortunately I saw it before the bulletins were put together, so we could fix the horrible oversight ;).  I don't have any one hymn that stands out as *the* Easter closing hymn for me, but at this church people expect I Know My Redeemer Lives, so we usually do that.

Wow! Good thing you saved him from a potential church mutiny! (half kidding...half not - we will see what I say after Easter, lol)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, forty-two said:

Yeah, in seminary, one of my liturgy professors talked about the time a pastor didn’t include it and at the end of the service someone hollered, “We aren’t leaving till we sing “Christ the Lord Is Risen Today,” and the rest of the congregation agreed.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, in seminary, one of my liturgy professors talked about the time a pastor didn’t include it and at the end of the service someone hollered, “We aren’t leaving till we sing “Christ the Lord Is Risen Today,” and the rest of the congregation agreed.  

Ha! Maybe that will be me hollering if they don't sing it this Sunday! (actually, they publish the order of service bulletin on Friday, and I get it in my email. I guess I'll check then so I have time to work up a plan, lol)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am not religious and have not attended a Palm Sunday service since attending with my family before I moved out for college 30 years ago, but I can still sing all of the words.  ELCA representing!  The children's choir, which I was a member between the ages of 6-12 had their own verse to sing alone. "The multitudes of children...." one.  Perhaps that is why it is still such a vivid memory?

My husband is the music director at a PCUSA church and we sang it (or they did- I was in the nursery, lol)! I don't think we're doing "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" this week though...the pastor picked some really doozies for Easter and he's trying to gently bring her back around to the more common, well-known hymns. 

Edited by Zuzu822

2 hours ago, forty-two said:

You must still be using TLH.  Happy sigh.  Those were the days!

LSB has more Palm Sunday hymns than TLH did.

• Like 2

Our church (nondenominational, Reformed) always does contemporary music, which sometimes includes contemporary arrangements of hymns. We've been there for a year and change and I don't think I've heard them do "All Glory, Laud, and Honor," and they did not do it this Sunday either. They did include "Man of Sorrows, What a Name," which I would pick as a Good Friday song if I needed to assign it a day, but whatever. Our former church (Orthodox Presbyterian) did only hymns, and both of those were sung regularly throughout the year.

But also, volunteers from our (current) church lead a service at the retirement home across the street, and DH happened to attend that service yesterday (for the first time - we're trying to figure out where in our church to serve and he's thinking that might be an option for him). They did "Hosanna, Loud Hosanna" and "Lift Up Your Heads, Ye Mighty Gates" over there. 

3 hours ago, forty-two said:

Raised Lutheran here. I always thought that everyone sang Jesus Christ is Risen today on Easter until I started going to other places as I grew up. But Easter isn’t Easter without it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hilltopmom said:

Raised Lutheran here. I always thought that everyone sang Jesus Christ is Risen today on Easter until I started going to other places as I grew up. But Easter isn’t Easter without it!

Seriously! I wasn't worried about skipping that one, just the other one I mentioned, but now I am!

• Like 1

I grew up Episcopalian and at marriage switched to LCMS. I have always been able to sing All Glory, Laud, and Honor on Palm Sunday--both churches. Hail Thee Festival Day was a staple on Easter Sunday in the Episcopal church, not in our LCMS church. Both do Jesus Christ is Risen Today.

But I'll be the weird one here. I'm looking forward to the Good Friday service--one of my favorites of the year. I like the somberness, feeling the weight of the day. And some of the best hymns too--Stricken, Smitten, and Afflicted and Oh Sacred Head Now Wounded. We'll sometimes sing Were You There and leave off the last verse when he rose up from the grave. You gotta feel all that to truly appreciate Easter!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ali in OR said:

I grew up Episcopalian and at marriage switched to LCMS. I have always been able to sing All Glory, Laud, and Honor on Palm Sunday--both churches. Hail Thee Festival Day was a staple on Easter Sunday in the Episcopal church, not in our LCMS church. Both do Jesus Christ is Risen Today.

But I'll be the weird one here. I'm looking forward to the Good Friday service--one of my favorites of the year. I like the somberness, feeling the weight of the day. And some of the best hymns too--Stricken, Smitten, and Afflicted and Oh Sacred Head Now Wounded. We'll sometimes sing Were You There and leave off the last verse when he rose up from the grave. You gotta feel all that to truly appreciate Easter!

I do LOVE the Good Friday service!!! Easter doesn't feel the same without first attending the Good Friday service. My last church always did the Were You There hymn without the last verse...I usually cry. My home church down south would do the whole service with the priests on the congregation side of the altar, they never even went up there. Just sat in the pews when not speaking. And no recenssional, they just left in silence. It was SO poignant. Then you come back on Easter and instead of the naked altar there are flowers and music and pretty clothes and JOY. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Totally agree!  

We once were at a non-denominational church that was *not* going to have a Good Friday service because the pastor didn't like them.

We got permission to put together a service and it was well received.

• Like 1

Just so everybody saying “Same!” is aware, “Jesus Christ is Risen Today” and “Christ the Lord is Risen Today” are different hymns.

Same meter, often sung to the same three tunes and (obviously) similar theme, but not the same hymn.

1 hour ago, Danae said:

Just so everybody saying “Same!” is aware, “Jesus Christ is Risen Today” and “Christ the Lord is Risen Today” are different hymns.

Same meter, often sung to the same three tunes and (obviously) similar theme, but not the same hymn.

well, now I need to check the lyrics so I know which one I'm going to be mad about if I don't hear it, lol!

Edited- I checked, it's Christ the Lord is Risen today that I'm particularly thinking of but I'd settle for Jesus Christ is Risen Today. Seems almost like different verses of the same song, just simplified a bit. 

Edited by ktgrok

10 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Raised Catholic and I've never heard of this hymn. We always did the Palm Sunday procession to The King of Glory. If you were raised Catholic in the 70s and 80s, this song is probably burned into your brain. 

I remember that one 🙂 

So - I was bummed there was not going to be a Good Friday service due to our pastor speaking at another church on Good Friday. BUT it turned out they do what is for all intents and purposes a Good Friday service, but on Maundy Thursday. I didn't realize that until I saw the bulletin posted and it was basically a modified Tenebrae service. DH, DD13, and I went and it was wonderful! At the end I was in tears, and I can't wait for Easter. 

I will say, if I were to have a single complaint, it was that Were You There was sung a bit to "fancy" for me. It's a spiritual, and I prefer it sung that way. But I still got all teary eyed! (service is online if anyone wants to see it - starts at 11 minutes in, ends just after the 1 hour mark - they just had camera on longer than that. https://www.fccwp.org/live-stream)

Anyway, I thought the Hive might like seeing what was sung, since y'all have some favorites for this week, like I do. (most were sung just by the choir, except those indicated below. Our choir is led by the Rollins Music Director and full of music majors who are simply AMAZING)

When I Survey the Wonderous Cross (sung by all)

O Come and Mourn

Ave Verum Corpus

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded (sung by all)

Jesus in Thy Thirst and Pain

Adoramus Te

Go, Congregation Go and Surely, He Hath Borne our Griefs

Bound Upon the Accursed Tree

Drop,Drop, Slow Tears

Behold, O There's a Sight

Were You There

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

Y'all, the bulletin for Easter just posted on the church website. It's a good news/bad news situation. In good news, we WILL sing "Christ the Lord is Risen Today'. In bad news, no "Hail Thee, Festival Day". Guess I'll be asking Siri to play that one in the car, lol.

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Tomorrow I will listen to the St. Matthew Passion as I drive around, and consequently I will not care what we sing tomorrow night.

Wonderful idea, thank you! I needed a good idea.

Now, we're watching this one over the course of the day. 

On 4/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, Ali in OR said:

On 4/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, ktgrok said:

I do LOVE the Good Friday service!!! Easter doesn't feel the same without first attending the Good Friday service. My last church always did the Were You There hymn without the last verse...I usually cry. My home church down south would do the whole service with the priests on the congregation side of the altar, they never even went up there. Just sat in the pews when not speaking. And no recenssional, they just left in silence. It was SO poignant. Then you come back on Easter and instead of the naked altar there are flowers and music and pretty clothes and JOY. 

We cannot enter into the fullness of what The resurrection means until we have sat with the need for it and the reality of Good Friday. In my church tradition there aren’t typically Good Friday services. Since becoming an adult and entering into the fullness of my faith I’ve discovered a longing for a Good Friday service. I do sit with it in my heart though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

We cannot enter into the fullness of what The resurrection means until we have sat with the need for it and the reality of Good Friday. In my church tradition there aren’t typically Good Friday services. Since becoming an adult and entering into the fullness of my faith I’ve discovered a longing for a Good Friday service. I do sit with it in my heart though.

So you know, you’d be welcome at any Good Friday service. It’s not the type of service where people chat so you could go in, be there, and leave without interacting. Otherwise I can share that the Episcopal National Cathedral always does something nice and streams it. But really, see if there is a Tenebrae service near you tonight- even just going on your own is worth it. 

• Like 3

On 4/3/2023 at 10:40 PM, Ordinary Shoes said:

Raised Catholic and I've never heard of this hymn. We always did the Palm Sunday procession to The King of Glory. If you were raised Catholic in the 70s and 80s, this song is probably burned into your brain. 

🤣  I played that at guitar mass in 8th grade!! 

We are kind of church-homeless right now.  The parish we attended for nearly 30 years has always had a great reputation for its music (unless you're a music snob who is holier than the Pope) took an ugly turn a couple of years ago, so we have been attending mass at different parishes in town.  The parish we went to on Palm Sunday sang All Glory, Laud and Honor so slowly it sounded like a funeral dirge.  It was practically unsingable.   

We didn't make it to Triduum services because I am fighting a cold and have been coughing for over a week.  The last time we went was before Covid and after there was a shake up in the liturgy team.  They didn't sing many of the hymns that had been so meaningful to me.  On Holy Thursday, we would sing Ubi Caritas (Taize - Berthier version), Pange Lingua Gloriosa (alternating Latin and English verses) and those were replaced by something I had never heard - sung by a soloist rather than the congregation.  On Good Friday, instead of veneration of the cross, they had a really amateur passion play and we didn't sing O Sacred Head Surrounded.  

We will be visiting dd this weekend and will likely attend Easter Sunday mass at the church at the college where she graduated and I'm looking forward to a good Jesuit homily.  It will be interesting to see what their musical traditions are.  

23 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

🤣  I played that at guitar mass in 8th grade!! 

We are kind of church-homeless right now.  The parish we attended for nearly 30 years has always had a great reputation for its music (unless you're a music snob who is holier than the Pope) took an ugly turn a couple of years ago, so we have been attending mass at different parishes in town.  The parish we went to on Palm Sunday sang All Glory, Laud and Honor so slowly it sounded like a funeral dirge.  It was practically unsingable.   

We didn't make it to Triduum services because I am fighting a cold and have been coughing for over a week.  The last time we went was before Covid and after there was a shake up in the liturgy team.  They didn't sing many of the hymns that had been so meaningful to me.  On Holy Thursday, we would sing Ubi Caritas (Taize - Berthier version), Pange Lingua Gloriosa (alternating Latin and English verses) and those were replaced by something I had never heard - sung by a soloist rather than the congregation.  On Good Friday, instead of veneration of the cross, they had a really amateur passion play and we didn't sing O Sacred Head Surrounded.  

We will be visiting dd this weekend and will likely attend Easter Sunday mass at the church at the college where she graduated and I'm looking forward to a good Jesuit homily.  It will be interesting to see what their musical traditions are.  

Do report back! And let us know what the Jesuit priest preaches!

As an Episcopalian, Easter is hard for me at our RC church.  Just got back from a lovely Easter Vigil, but wow I miss Jesus Christ is Risen Today.  I may have thrown in a “Christ is Risen, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!” and “The Lord is Risen Indeed!” under my breath during the recessional…  (Why don’t we do the Paschal greeting at our church?  Who knows?)

25 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

As an Episcopalian, Easter is hard for me at our RC church.  Just got back from a lovely Easter Vigil, but wow I miss Jesus Christ is Risen Today.  I may have thrown in a “Christ is Risen, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!” and “The Lord is Risen Indeed!” under my breath during the recessional…  (Why don’t we do the Paschal greeting at our church?  Who knows?)

As someone that has spent time in many denominations, I agree...there is nothing like the Book of Common prayer and the services within it. I watched the Easter Vigil on youtube from an Episcopal church tonight. Caught myself responding outloud even though I was all by myself in the room. It's just ingrained. 

We are going to church in the morning, at the UCC church...I have no idea if there wwill be any "The Lord is Risen Indeed" stuff going on. I hope so. 

• Like 1

didn't see this last week on Palm Sunday, but seeing it on Easter Sunday with the bump.  thank you for this.  I enjoy new to me songs and reviewing one I knew once upon a time....

Never heard of All Glory, Laud and Honor until this thread.  listened on youtube. that's nice.

Then someone mentioned Hosanna Loud Hosanna.  looked it up and thought "wait, the Methodist church up the street plays that with their Noon chimes/organ thing once in a while, but my brain keeps singing the words I Sing The Mighty Power of God... and then draws a blank".

I guess I remember the tune on that one from going to Church of the Brethren as a kid.  maybe I heard the Hosanna lyrics with it too.  But when I hear the Noon and 6 pm Methodist church ringing out that tune, I recognize it with an opening line.  and thanks to this thread, I now have new lyrics to hear. yeah!! good thing!

• Like 3

So, can anyone tell me the history behind the two hymns, and why they are so similar - regarding Jesus Christ is Risen Today and Christ the Lord is Risen today? I have no musical history background, but obviously these are similar. We sang Christ the Lord is Risen Today in church, and the little footnote said that the tune was "Easter Hymn" or something like that, and it was written partly to be more upbeat/quicker time than other hymns of the time?

ok, found this info but our church definitely used it set to Easter Hymn. Either way it seems that the Jesus Christ one came first, later Charles Wesley added another verse to it. Then later still Wesley wrote Christ the Lord is Risen Today- sort of creating a new version of the older hymn? https://viscountorgans.net/jesus-christ-is-risen-today/

Edited by ktgrok

23 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Do report back! And let us know what the Jesuit priest preaches!

After all that, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't remember what was said.  I didn't sleep well, had some things on my mind, and was distracted by the happy baby and toddler noises, and then by this man's purple mohawk that I could have sworn was blond when he came in.  As it turns out, it was the lighting from the rose window behind us that illuminated his head in purple when he was sitting/kneeling, but his natural hair color was evident when he was standing.  Then I was irritated with myself for being so easily distracted and missing out on the homily.  

The only thing I remember was the priest trying to put us in the scene of that first Easter morning describing a young apostle John running toward the tomb and the much older Peter likely struggling to keep up with him, which was why John got their first.  At the end of the mass, the priest (an older man with gray hair) thanked the priest in residence (a younger man with dark hair) who was leaving soon, and likened him to the younger John sprinting toward the tomb while he was like Peter running as fast as his older body would carry him.  It got a laugh out of the congregation.  

The music was lovely as I expected.  Several unfamiliar songs, but some old favorites.  They also had an unfamiliar mass setting (Gloria, Sanctus), but I surprised myself by being able to "follow the bouncing ball" and sing along (I don't read music well - "every good boy does fine" and "all cows eat grass" is as good as I get.) They did sing "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" as the Recessional Hymn followed by the Alleluia Chorus.  My daughter surprised herself by being able to sing along to Handel ... When she was 10, her parish youth choir participated in a concert with some advanced adult choirs and professional musicians.   She hadn't sung it since.

• Like 1