Menu

Guess that Dog? UPDATE: OMIGOSH!

BlsdMama

ADDING RESULTS TO THIS POST:

Wanna play?

We expect her Embark results any day.

What do you think she is?

Personality - frat brat, everything is a party. She grins.  Extremely motivated by everything - food, affection, squeaky toys.  Pretty high prey drive - 8/10.  Guard abilities 1/10 - but the UPS driver thinks she's great! Kid friendly - 10/10. Intelligence - 9/10 She's on par with our GSD. Craving for human companionship 10/10. Barking - fairly low.  Howls but doesn't husky "talk."
saga.thumb.jpg.7e5829dc638982c3f006cce8b46ae682.jpg

s2.thumb.jpg.0bb13c2927c17113e437531c7cac16ca.jpgs1.thumb.jpg.538048aa7d23681f9393e038a01d5f8a.jpg

26FB4163-39ED-4623-B81A-1973A0A6AFBD.jpeg

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 17

I'd guess a Labrador/German shepherd mix, based on prey drive, friendliness/party, and companionship needs, and based on her looks. Maybe a bit of Blue Heeler because she looks a little like a dog I know.

I'm probably completely wrong, so I'm interested to see her results! Beautiful dog!

• Thanks 1

Malamute? Funny! I think so too! I'm thinking Norwegian Elkhound, sable GSD, and Malamute.  She is wildly stubborn.  She's still underweight IMO, but she's about 65lbs right now, so too big for an Elkie female. I thought maybe husky instead, but I'm not sure she'd have that floofy tail?

I never considered lab.

I'm obsessed with these results. I wasn't this excited for MY 23 and Me. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

25 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I always love to see those results. I'm going with the safe bet, which is that she's gonna be a good mix of quite a few breeds. 😉 

This. Heinz 57! 
She is beautiful and looks so fun! Love the chin on the table pic - big personality! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

This. Heinz 57! 
She is beautiful and looks so fun! Love the chin on the table pic - big personality! 

She's amazing.  She's even won over DH and that man hasn't really let an animal touch him on purpose in about 40 years, lol.  And this AFTER she got out of her crate on a Monday night while we were at TL/AHG.  He has never cleaned up after a dog as they were always "my" animal, but he did it! (And cleaned the carpets the next weekend.)

But I think he must be getting gooey.  I have also caught him holding the kittens (with actual petting) a few times now.  Last night she hugged him the minute he entered the living room, then plopped on the couch next to him.  The kids are shocked by her audacity.  She is a bit of a shameless hussy. 😉 She licks his hand in gratitude when he pets her then nibbles his hand if he stops rubbing.  She is really training him rather effectively.  

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 6
  • Haha 10

4 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

She's amazing.  She's even won over DH and that man hasn't really let an animal touch him on purpose in about 40 years, lol.  And this AFTER she got out of her crate on a Monday night while we were at TL/AHG.  He has never cleaned up after a dog as they were always "my" animal, but he did it! (And cleaned the carpets the next weekend.)

But I think he must be getting gooey.  I have also caught him holding the kittens (with actual petting) a few times now.  Last night she hugged him the minute he entered the living room, then plopped on the couch next to him.  The kids are shocked by her audacity.  She is a bit of a shameless hussy. 😉 She licks his hand in gratitude when he pets her then nibbles his hand if he stops rubbing.  She is really training him rather effectively.  

This is one time where I wish I could use two emojis to express my feelings about a post. The "laugh" one for sure, but I'm also feeling a great big "heart" emoji, too. BlsdMama, I really wish I could meet your sweet girl. She sounds just wonderful. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tiberia said:

I'd guess a Labrador/German shepherd mix, based on prey drive, friendliness/party, and companionship needs, and based on her looks. Maybe a bit of Blue Heeler because she looks a little like a dog I know.

I'm probably completely wrong, so I'm interested to see her results! Beautiful dog!

I'll say similar, but for fun go with golden and shepherd. 

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

Malamute? Funny! I think so too! I'm thinking Norwegian Elkhound, sable GSD, and Malamute.  She is wildly stubborn.  She's still underweight IMO, but she's about 65lbs right now, so too big for an Elkie female. I thought maybe husky instead, but I'm not sure she'd have that floofy tail?

I never considered lab.

I'm obsessed with these results. I wasn't this excited for MY 23 and Me. 🤪

Given the stubborn and the prey drive adding in some husky or malamute. 

• Like 1

No idea, but the foster/adoption group we got our dog from has an active FB page and someone posted the Embark for their dog and there were 13 breeds!  😃 

My dog is a mutt--no idea what the mix is--shepherd is obvious, the rest is unknown. I call him a "goober" breed.  😃 He also has a very strong prey drive. He is useless at fetch--he'll get it, but will never ever return it. He LOVES to dig. He loves to sniff on walks too. He hardly barks but he howls with us or when he hears a dog howling.  But he's not friendly with strangers like yours--he loves his people completely--everyone else is sketchy.  😃   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cintinative said:

No idea, but the foster/adoption group we got our dog from has an active FB page and someone posted the Embark for their dog and there were 13 breeds!  😃 

My dog is a mutt--no idea what the mix is--shepherd is obvious, the rest is unknown. I call him a "goober" breed.  😃 He also has a very strong prey drive. He is useless at fetch--he'll get it, but will never ever return it. He LOVES to dig. He loves to sniff on walks too. He hardly barks but he howls with us or when he hears a dog howling.  But he's not friendly with strangers like yours--he loves his people completely--everyone else is sketchy.  😃   

Did they do Embark or might they have used Wisdom? Wisdom has a reputation for 12+ breeds. We had friends use Wisdom and they ended up with roughly a dozen. 

She learned to fetch in 1-2 days. With enough treats, I think we could teach her to dance a jig. 

We took her thinking she was a GS mix, but she is so unlike our previous GSDs, that we really questioned it. Then a few breed apps suggested Norwegian Elkhound and I think they’re right… both in appearance and personality, she’s similar. But apparently the females tend to be 45-55lbs. They also have tightly curled tails. Hers is more like a flag she carries arched over her back. 

I checked Embark four times today. You think it will make it happen faster? 😉 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

Did they do Embark or might they have used Wisdom? Wisdom has a reputation for 12+ breeds. We had friends use Wisdom and they ended up with roughly a dozen. 

You are right. It was Wisdom Panel. One adopter's dog had 20 breeds identified.   It seems that Embark lumps the bottom part (low percentages) into "supermutt" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

How long ago did you send it in? Embark takes about ten days to send results, in my experience. It might be a longer wait in January, though, since lots of people get test kits as Christmas gifts. I hope you hear soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

She learned to fetch in 1-2 days. With enough treats, I think we could teach her to dance a jig. 

We took her thinking she was a GS mix, but she is so unlike our previous GSDs, that we really questioned it. Then a few breed apps suggested Norwegian Elkhound and I think they’re right… both in appearance and personality, she’s similar. But apparently the females tend to be 45-55lbs. They also have tightly curled tails. Hers is more like a flag she carries arched over her back. 

Yup. I didn't know this, and now I really wish I'd done Embark instead for my dogs. But I can't bring myself to spend the money again just to be a bit more accurate. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, livetoread said:

I took one look and thought, oh my goodness she has a wolf in her house, lol.

My nephew has a Tamaskan, which looks 100% like a coyote. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, cintinative said:

You are right. It was Wisdom Panel. One adopter's dog had 20 breeds identified.   It seems that Embark lumps the bottom part (low percentages) into "supermutt" 

Yes! There's a FB group called Guess that Dog. Some of these folks' abilities to see breeds is nothing short of amazing.  There are several who also don't like the "Supermutt" lumping.  They tend to believe that Embark is generally more accurate.  Anyone think I have an issue with over-researching? Comparing dog DNA testing options may mark a new low... or high? 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, cintinative said:

They do. My son's girlfriend got the results back from them yesterday for one of her dogs. It was 1/3 one breed, 1/3 another breed and the last third was supermutt. They did break down the percentages in the supermutt into probably 7 other breeds.

The most interesting thing I thought was the number of first cousins he had. I don't know the number but the list was long.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Anyone think I have an issue with over-researching? Comparing dog DNA testing options may mark a new low... or high? 🤪

Well, considering I just spent some time on the Reddit doggy DNA sub researching your dog 😳, if you have an issue, I definitely have an issue 😂. I was trying to remember which university it is that has the most reliable wolf dna test (I think it’s the UC Davis one), but in doing that, I came across this dog who reminded me a bit of yours and turned out to be husky/malamute/GSD with a little wolf:

I also learned that Embark gives a “wolfiness” score which is unrelated to whether the dog is actually part wolf (that will be reflected as gray wolf DNA in the breed profile).

I know the local shelter only trusts the university testing when it comes to determining if there is wolf dna though, fwiw.

Tamaskan came up several times when discussing dogs that look similar to yours. I had never heard of it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Terabith said:

I know nothing about dogs really, but I find myself refreshing this thread every hour or so to see if the answer to the mystery has been revealed!

LOL. Thanks for the emotional support! 😉 

13 hours ago, Selkie said:

How long ago did you send it in? Embark takes about ten days to send results, in my experience. It might be a longer wait in January, though, since lots of people get test kits as Christmas gifts. I hope you hear soon!

They received it January 6th!!!! They're trying to kill me, I just know it.  The FIRST thing I did this morning when I woke up? Checked the website.  What will I get out of bed for when I have the results? 😉 

13 hours ago, livetoread said:

I took one look and thought, oh my goodness she has a wolf in her house, lol.

It was her howling that made us rethink the G, shepherd. It is very eerie.  She's outside right now, playing in the snow and calling to her ancestors. DH & I figured we got our kids a wolf dog, lol.  Parenting at its best.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Yup. I didn't know this, and now I really wish I'd done Embark instead for my dogs. But I can't bring myself to spend the money again just to be a bit more accurate. 

Not to be the instigator, but how cool would it be to compare the Wisdom panel against the Embark? Just sayin'. (snicker)

50 minutes ago, Quill said:

My nephew has a Tamaskan, which looks 100% like a coyote. 

Wow! I'd never even heard of Tamaskans. Beautiful dogs.  Apparently Finnish? The history I read said they were created with husky, malamute, and GSD.  They look a bit like Saga but she has Elkie markings... Fascinating.

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, KSera said:

Well, considering I just spent some time on the Reddit doggy DNA sub researching your dog 😳, if you have an issue, I definitely have an issue 😂. I was trying to remember which university it is that has the most reliable wolf dna test (I think it’s the UC Davis one), but in doing that, I came across this dog who reminded me a bit of yours and turned out to be husky/malamute/GSD with a little wolf:

I also learned that Embark gives a “wolfiness” score which is unrelated to whether the dog is actually part wolf (that will be reflected as gray wolf DNA in the breed profile).

I know the local shelter only trusts the university testing when it comes to determining if there is wolf dna though, fwiw.

Tamaskan came up several times when discussing dogs that look similar to yours. I had never heard of it. 

She does look like her. Love that the last part was, “Did you get the results?” 🤦🏼‍♀️ I promise not to leave ya’all hanging. 

Did you see how the other dog has a long muzzle? Saga has a rounded muzzle and not particularly long and her feet aren’t webbed and are doggish. But I admit the idea of finding out there’sa low percentage of wold or coyote is intriguing. The guy said she has run wild for a couple months before he tries to catch her.  He said she was thin but not starving so she’s decent at hunting. She caught and killed a rabbit the second week she was here. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

She does look like her. Love that the last part was, “Did you get the results?” 🤦🏼‍♀️ I promise not to leave ya’all hanging. 

Did you see how the other dog has a long muzzle? Saga has a rounded muzzle and not particularly long and her feet aren’t webbed and are doggish. But I admit the idea of finding out there’sa low percentage of wold or coyote is intriguing. The guy said she has run wild for a couple months before he tries to catch her.  He said she was thin but not starving so she’s decent at hunting. She caught and killed a rabbit the second week she was here. 

I’m glad she survived living in the wild and didn’t get shot by someone who thought she was a coyote or wolf. That happens here sometimes, sadly. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

. DH & I figured we got our kids a wolf dog, lol.  Parenting at its best.

Not to be the instigator, but how cool would it be to compare the Wisdom panel against the Embark? Just sayin'. (snicker)

LOL, we do have a part wolf, she's the one I'd want to compare the DNA again. She's supposedly about 12% I think?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

LOL, we do have a part wolf, she's the one I'd want to compare the DNA again. She's supposedly about 12% I think?

If you ever do it again, you might do the UC Davis one. Though that won't tell you anything about other breeds, just the presence of wolf.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 10:47 AM, Selkie said:

I’m glad she survived living in the wild and didn’t get shot by someone who thought she was a coyote or wolf. That happens here sometimes, sadly. 

We thought the same. Imagine how much she’d look like one from a distance and thinner!

I feel like we can reliably take wolf off the list. She’s been napping with DD today and I feel wolves have a certain amount of self dignity that she doesn’t possess? She thinks she’s a lap puppy. 😏 

8FE080CD-DECD-4FE7-BE50-5C9D4A5CA924.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 18

14 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

We thought the same. Imagine how much she’d look like one from a distance and thinner!

I feel like we can reliably take wolf off the list. She’s been napping with DD today and I feel wolves have a certain amount of self dignity that she doesn’t possess? She thinks she’s a lap puppy. 😏 

8FE080CD-DECD-4FE7-BE50-5C9D4A5CA924.jpeg

Um...my wolfdog has ZERO dignity. She's the doofiest thing ever. 

14 hours ago, happi duck said:

I know nothing about dogs but love guessing things... German Shepherd and Akita

I was also thinking maybe Akita, with that shorter snout. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm gonna throw out a possibility that I don't think anybody has mentioned but that keeps rattling around in my brain . . .Keeshond.

Keeshond has the exact same coloring and markings as an Elkhound so that suggestion makes total sense. They are slightly smaller and more floofy. 

We got an email stating her test is now in the lab, only 1-3 weeks more. They’re trying to kill me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

46 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Keeshond has the exact same coloring and markings as an Elkhound so that suggestion makes total sense. They are slightly smaller and more floofy. 

We got an email stating her test is now in the lab, only 1-3 weeks more. They’re trying to kill me. 

Don't they realize that the Hive *needs* to know?!??! 😜

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm gonna throw out a possibility that I don't think anybody has mentioned but that keeps rattling around in my brain . . .Keeshond.

Our Keeshond was super smart and joyfully stubborn. She loved everyone and never sulked - just didn't always listen well, lol. She'd laugh at us when we scolded her, not because she didn't understand but because she knew she was awesome and we'd get over it quickly. Very confident and happy dog. Sounds like this dog, except Keesies can be barkers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My son's girlfriend just got the results on her second dog:

60.4% Pit Bull

18.3% Australian Cattle Dog

5.1% German Shepard

4.1% Rottweiler

12.1% Supermutt

And I'm like what? Australian Cattle Dog, yep I believe that but the rest (except for the mutt) I'm not buying. Greyhound I would have believed, Whippet, even. Really any kind of hound. Her head is very much Great Dane shaped. Here is a picture of her:

IMG_5079.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

60.4% Pit Bull

5.1% German Shepard

4.1% Rottweiler

12.1% Supermutt

And I'm like what? Australian Cattle Dog, yep I believe that but the rest (except for the mutt) I'm not buying. Greyhound I would have believed, Whippet, even. Really any kind of hound. Her head is very much Great Dane shaped. Here is a picture of her:

IMG_5079.jpg

Those blue eyes are startling! She does look Great Dane-ish. 

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

60.4% Pit Bull

5.1% German Shepard

4.1% Rottweiler

12.1% Supermutt

IMG_5079.jpg

Beautiful eyes. I would have guessed pitbull mix from the picture (with one of the mix being a breed known for blue eyes). 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KSera said:

Beautiful eyes. I would have guessed pitbull mix from the picture (with one of the mix being a breed known for blue eyes). 

Please tell me why because this is bugging me. LOL I think of pit bulls as being squat and beefy with square heads and mouths that smile, while she is tall and lean with a rectangular shaped head, but I am not an expert in identifying dog breeds by any means, at all.

14 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

60.4% Pit Bull

5.1% German Shepard

4.1% Rottweiler

12.1% Supermutt

IMG_5079.jpg

I'd have guessed Dane x Husky!
And nothing yet.  I only check 5-6  times/day.

• Haha 1