Menu

Guess that Dog? UPDATE: OMIGOSH!

BlsdMama

53 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Please tell me why because this is bugging me. LOL I think of pit bulls as being squat and beefy with square heads and mouths that smile, while she is tall and lean with a rectangular shaped head, but I am not an expert in identifying dog breeds by any means, at all.

Oh! I think the one you are thinking of is the American Bully? There are several breeds that all get generally referred to as “pitbull“ which made it surprising to me that the results just said pitbull without being more specific. This one looks a little more like an American pitbull terrier which looks quite different from an American bully. The pitbull breeds have a characteristic look in the shape of their eyes and they have something in the head shape as well as the rose ears (which it’s actually hard to tell for sure if that’s what that dog has. They looked at me like rose ears that are standing up straight, but perhaps they are like that all the time.) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Oh! I think the one you are thinking of is the American Bully? There are several breeds that all get generally referred to as “pitbull“ which made it surprising to me that the results just said pitbull without being more specific. This one looks a little more like an American pitbull terrier which looks quite different from an American bully. The pitbull breeds have a characteristic look in the shape of their eyes and they have something in the head shape as well as the rose ears (which it’s actually hard to tell for sure if that’s what that dog has. They looked at me like rose ears that are standing up straight, but perhaps they are like that all the time.) 

You are so right! Thank you, I was thinking of the bully and not the terrier. Now I can totally see what you mean and it would be so much more interesting if they were more specific in their results. I wonder if they can't yet or if it's just this company that doesn't. Her ears do stand up like that all the time. Maybe that's the cattle dog in her? The whole thing is so fascinating. I wish this was a thing when we still had dogs.

Now I can't wait for @BlsdMama doggo's results to come in.

• Like 1

Here is my furbaby and his Embark DNA results.

35.2% American Pit Bull Terrier

14.8% German Shepherd Dog

13.9% Rottweiler

13.7% Australian Shepherd

7.5% Border Collie

7.5% Doberman Pinscher

7.4% Siberian Husky

image.jpg

PXL_20221218_193651486.jpg

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 13

15 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

@Rebel-- Were you surprised? I don't think many people would look at your dog and think Pittie! Genetics are weird.

I was VERY surprised! The vet had him listed as a rottie mix and they thought he had shar pei in him due to his head wrinkles which were more pronounced when he was a puppy. They also put a note in his file that his face just looks like he was stung by a bee and swelling up, but that is just his big 'ol goofy head. I got him from a rescue when he was 5 months and he is almost 2 1/2 now.

Personality-wise, he is skittish around new people, especially men, but is super sweet once he knows you. He is a couch potato, but loves to play with other dogs so he goes to the dog park or dog daycare regularly. He does not have a prey drive, thank goodness, and happily hangs out with the chickens.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Here is my furbaby and his Embark DNA results.

35.2% American Pit Bull Terrier

14.8% German Shepherd Dog

13.9% Rottweiler

13.7% Australian Shepherd

7.5% Border Collie

7.5% Doberman Pinscher

7.4% Siberian Husky

image.jpg

PXL_20221218_193651486.jpg

Your dog looks similar to my rottie shepherd mix. 
I have had to work very hard because she’s been scared of men who aren’t my dh or ds.  She’s very gentle and herds our rabbits  

D7B3623D-A6AB-4389-B031-A1BEA9E6403F.jpeg

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Still no results Day 19.
First world problems, first world problems, I will not moan and groan about my first world problems.......

I figure she is *at least* 50% goofball. "Her" girl had mock trial practice last night so the traitor happily sprawled across La instead.  Yes, we sent the picture to the betrayed.   Ya'all should know that while Saga is quite the beauty, she is a shameless hussy when it comes to belly rubs.

saga2.2.jpg

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 7
  • Haha 16

On 1/23/2023 at 7:32 PM, stephanier.1765 said:

My son's girlfriend just got the results on her second dog:

60.4% Pit Bull

18.3% Australian Cattle Dog

5.1% German Shepard

4.1% Rottweiler

12.1% Supermutt

And I'm like what? Australian Cattle Dog, yep I believe that but the rest (except for the mutt) I'm not buying. Greyhound I would have believed, Whippet, even. Really any kind of hound. Her head is very much Great Dane shaped. Here is a picture of her:

IMG_5079.jpg

On 1/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, stephanier.1765 said:

Please tell me why because this is bugging me. LOL I think of pit bulls as being squat and beefy with square heads and mouths that smile, while she is tall and lean with a rectangular shaped head, but I am not an expert in identifying dog breeds by any means, at all.

I think someone beat me to it, but there are two "types" of dog that are called pit bulls. One is the lean type that looks like this, the other is the short/squat type. Then various breeds within those two types. 

• Like 2

• BlsdMama changed the title to Guess that Dog? UPDATE: OMIGOSH!

Wow!! I wouldn’t have guessed the lab, but it makes sense with the lovable personality 🥰. That’s a significant portion of wolf! So funny though that your “GSD” is hardly one at all 😂. Funnily, when you posted the first thread considering her and shared pictures, I wrote a reply saying I didn’t think she looked like a GSD, but then I thought that would be rude and unnecessary of me to say and deleted it without posting. I am so glad Saga has ended up working so well for your family ❤️

• Like 6

Told you that wolf hybids are not dignified, lol! 

This is my Sandy's DNA results, from Wisdom rather than Embark. We do know that her dad was a Goldendoodle, so that 25% poodle is from him, and 25% of the  'breed group" part must be her golden retriever genes. Mom was the wolf hybrid, which was apparantly husky, malamute, and wolf and some of that "breed group" part would have been from her, likely shepherd. Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 12.21.28 PM.png

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I really feel a lot of curiousity about the 9.5% wolf.  That has to be a story! Did the people you got her from find her? Or was she one of theirs?  

Me too! Embark doesn’t let dogs with gray wolf participate in relative finder! 

So just around Christmas we saw her listed on an Iowa German Shepherd page. A fella from the Minnesota border saw her wandering the area since October. She was starting to look thin so he took her home and had her checked for a chip. They posted her on various list and found pages. No luck finding the owner but she is spayed. There is wolf population in Minnesota so maybe an accidental breeding a couple generations ago?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Starr said:

How does she feel about this information? 🙂

I can’t tell her. I’m afraid she’ll lose her humility. Also what if she feels the need to fulfill some kind of stereotype?

Nah, I want her to be free to express her dog-ness without shame or fear of the naysayers who think she shouldn’t submit to excessive tummy rubs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 16

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Whoo hoo!  That’s really interesting!  Does she need as much exercise as malamutes and huskies?  

I have a million children and two acres… they’re all tired, lol. 

She’s definitely high energy but we really don’t have any comparison. The last pup we had was a Belgian shepherd and she was supposed to be a police dog, but as a pup she seemed not intense enough. Her energy temperament was too much for us. She went on to do competitive Schutzhund. 

i will say this - she gets bored easily. She wants constant interaction. She nibbles your hands for rubs and affection. She nibbles under our chins a lot. She craves interaction and touch unlike any dog we’ve ever had, but other than a terrier for 12-13 years, we’ve mostly had GSD. She is fearless. Everyone is a potential friend. She has zero wariness. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

@BlsdMama One thing that is very notable in the photos is just how remarkably white and clean Saga's teeth are. That's uncommon.

I totally believe that she's been living on "prey" for quite some time.

Bill

We noticed that too. Our yard is also now a rabbit free zone. She fixed that by week 2.  It should have been a clue…

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

There is wolf population in Minnesota so maybe an accidental breeding a couple generations ago?

Wolf hybrids are usually malamute/husky/wolf, so I'd just assume one of her ancestors was a wolf hybrid, and that hybrid bred with a malamute, who bred with a lab/shepherd mix, or something like that. (just has dental surgery and am on pain killers so not sure of the math on all that)

• Like 4

Oh, I will say, we don't advertise that our dog is 12% wolf to people in real life - there are some legal grey issues regarding rabies vaccines, etc, not to mention I don't need some HOA bully to decide my goofy overgrown muppet of a dog is a dangerous wild animal or something dumb. In Florida you don't need a permit for a wolf hybrid that is less than 75% wolf, so legally we are fine there, but the rabies law says that "wolves and wolf dog crosses" are an off label use for rabies vaccines, and if one bites a person, even if vaccinated, they will be euthanized to be tested for rabies. I don't want to get into a situation where my dog somehow accidentally takes a treat too hard from someone, they claim she "bit" them, and they try to have her put down since she is a "wolf dog", you know? 

• Thanks 1