Menu

I wish I could play the cello

Ginevra

You feel me? 

I learned some piano as a child and I have an okay singing voice (though not outstanding and limited in range), but my recent obsession with the Wednesday Addams series reeeeaaaallly makes me wish I could play cello. I have been similarly interested (as an adult) in violin. But hearing Paint it Black in cello, and Vivaldi’s Winter, and Metallica’s Nothing Else Matters just…transports me. 

It’s my current musical obsession. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Quill said:

You feel me? 

I learned some piano as a child and I have an okay singing voice (though not outstanding and limited in range), but my recent obsession with the Wednesday Addams series reeeeaaaallly makes me wish I could play cello. I have been similarly interested (as an adult) in violin. But hearing Paint it Black in cello, and Vivaldi’s Winter, and Metallica’s Nothing Else Matters just…transports me. 

Me too.

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Why not learn?

I picked up the violin at age 40, during the pandemic.  It was a gift to myself. I'm slow to learn and struggle, but I have made significant progress over the past few years.  It's one of the better things I've done for myself.

Well…I’m not saying I definitely wouldn’t. But I do know one does not just pick up strings in a few weeks. I’m not sure I can afford to commit to it. But we’ll see.

• Like 1

Just now, Spy Car said:

Hey @Quill are you familiar with the Dvorák Cello Concerto in B Minor?

I just adore this work. Some favorite artists include Mstislav Leopoldovich Rostropovich, Jacqueline du Pré, and Janos Starker.

Bill 

I’m not. But I will look them up. I made a playlist of “Cello music only” and it’s been fun seeing what the AI picks that it thinks I might like. Today I got a cello version of Jolene. Not bad. 

Just now, Quill said:

I’m not. But I will look them up. I made a playlist of “Cello music only” and it’s been fun seeing what the AI picks that it thinks I might like. Today I got a cello version of Jolene. Not bad. 

Here is a link to the inimitable Jacqueline Du Pré when she was still in her prime. Her career (and later her life) were tragically cut short by MS. Not necessarily my favorite performance (the tempi is rather fast for my taste), but seeing her playing captured on film is thrilling.

Her husband, Daniel Barenboim is conducting

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I took violin growing up and it's like a retirement dream to pick it back up and join a community orchestra!  My daughter took lessons for 12 years and I miss playing with her too.  Cello is a beautiful instrument - you can do it!  ❤️  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well…I’m not saying I definitely wouldn’t. But I do know one does not just pick up strings in a few weeks. I’m not sure I can afford to commit to it. But we’ll see.

DS18 prefers the cello to the violin from an early age. I think he likes the more mellow sound of the cello.  We went to many strings stores in our region for DS18 to try out several cellos for rental. He was in between a size 1/2 and a size 3/4 when he was elementary school age. We also bought the cello mute, new strings, music stand and the cello endpin anchor non slip stopper. We did buy him a bow and the cello bow rosin as well because he didn’t like the bow that came with the rental cello. Adults would typically take full size cellos and those would be easier to find for rental compared to the 1/2 or 1/4 size ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

I think he likes the more mellow sound of the cello.

I think that too. I do like the sound of a violin quite a lot but I love minor keys played on cello. It’s just rapturous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

I wanted to learn to play violin in middle school and a boy I had a massive crush on heard and he laughed at me.    I went to one lesson to try it out with an instructor and never went back.     You start playing the cello and I'll start with the violin.   

I tried both violin and cello, and prefer the cello because I rather have the instrument in front of me than on my shoulder/chin. I have sensory issues. The violin is lots more portable of course. The cello took up most of our car trunk space. 

• Like 2

Dh started cello lessons about two years ago. He started by having a rental cello delivered by ups and virtual lessons. Now he is in a community orchestra and is enjoying meeting other musicians. I’m happy to see him accomplish something that he always said he wanted to try.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

I picked up the violin at age 40, during the pandemic.  It was a gift to myself. I'm slow to learn and struggle, but I have made significant progressover the past few years.  It's one of the better things I've done for myself.

The cello is not only a much bigger instrument but a much bigger investment, lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

You've heard of Two Cellos? They're my favorite.

Yes; since I’ve been binging all things cello, I found a concert with two cellos. Also, those guys are 🔥🔥🔥

• Haha 2

My Dad retired at 63, and worked on postponed house projects for a couple of years.  Then they travelled, and when they mostly got that out of their system, he joined a community band, playing his trombone for the first time in decades.  He absolutely loved it, practiced at home a lot and regrew his proficiency.  It was awesome.

I also know someone who decided to learn to play the organ in his 80s and said it brought him more joy than anything else he had done for a very long time.

IITC John Holt learned to play the cello as an adult.

Go for it!

• Thanks 1

My mother taught piano and organ to children and adults in her free time after work. Her oldest student, a beginner, was in his 90s and lived in a nursing home. Another student in his 60s, a retired engineer and also a beginner, built his own organ somehow and she taught him how to play it. She loved teaching adults.

Moral of the story: You are never too old to learn as long as you can physically handle the instrument. You started as a beginner with painting and now are quite good so why not give the cello a try? I think you should go for it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quill said:

You feel me? 

Side note…I really loved Wednesday too! I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but surprisingly, it was so good. (Also, DH and I danced our first dance at our wedding to Metallica’s Nothing Else Matters. ☺️)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

Side note…I really loved Wednesday too! I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but surprisingly, it was so good. (Also, DH and I danced our first dance at our wedding to Metallica’s Nothing Else Matters. ☺️)

Wednesday was so much better than I expected. I love fantasy but not necessarily dark fantasy, but to me, it hits that sweet spot of being darkly funny without being terribly gruesome. I grant you, there are some gory moments, but the satirically macabre aspect is just hilarious to me. 

And the cinematography is stunning. 

The dance was my favorite episode and I loved her dress. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

My mother taught piano and organ to children and adults in her free time after work. Her oldest student, a beginner, was in his 90s and lived in a nursing home. Another student in his 60s, a retired engineer and also a beginner, built his own organ somehow and she taught him how to play it. She loved teaching adults.

Moral of the story: You are never too old to learn as long as you can physically handle the instrument. You started as a beginner with painting and now are quite good so why not give the cello a try? I think you should go for it!

Aww, thanks for that! 

1 minute ago, BakersDozen said:

Dd17 plays the cello and we all love it when she practices, it's soothing and rich and just beautiful. Maybe someday I'll have her teach me - kind of a paying back for the investment we've made! 🙂

A good friend of mine’s son plays cello at expert level. He is getting his masters in music. I remember from years back how fun it was to listen to him for our homeschool talent show. 🙂 It’s such a pleasure to have kids who play music. Two of mine play instruments; one plays piano, one plays guitar. 

• Like 2

Same!  I got a cello about 5 years ago because I decided I want to learn how to play it after watching a couple of episodes of Fame as a kid.  I also got a season of Fame on DVD to watch with my dancer, and boy is it ever cheesy!  I bought a couple of beginner cello courses on Udemy, but haven't done anything yet. I do plan to learn someday; I just need to find the time.

• Like 2

I learned to play a string (bow) instrument in my 20s. I learned the piano in my teens. It's not as hard as people make it. The bowing has a learning curve and the tips of your fingers are going to hurt until calluses build up, but you quickly build up the intuition on where to press down on the string and your fingers have some strength to them from the piano playing. In 2 or 3 lessons I could play simple tunes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I've been seriously considering taking up the cello. I've played the violon my whole life but it's getting hard on my wrists.  The local homeschool beginner orchestra allows parents to join.  

That would be so fun!