Menu

"5 minutes from now" does that phrase mean in the future or past

lulalu

When you hear "5 minutes from now" does that mean 5 minutes in the future or 5 minutes in the past to you? 

I recently had a Facebook update and this is now how it is telling me when the posts were written. In my mind from now indicates in the future. But I must be wrong. Just wondering if my thinking is in the minority. 

• Like 1

When I look at facebook it just has a number, it doesn't say "from now" or "ago. 

In normal conversation, "from now" would mean future. 

but in social media, if labeling a post, I guess it is implied/understood to mean past, since posts from the future would require time travel or mind reading. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 4.37.51 PM.png

• Like 2

Just now, ktgrok said:

When I look at facebook it just has a number, it doesn't say "from now" or "ago. 

In normal conversation, "from now" would mean future. 

but in social media, if labeling a post, I guess it is implied/understood to mean past, since posts from the future would require time travel or mind reading. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 4.37.51 PM.png

Yeah, that is how it told me before my update last night. I was confused as to why it was worded that way. 

57 minutes ago, lulalu said:

When you hear "5 minutes from now" does that mean 5 minutes in the future or 5 minutes in the past to you? 

"Five minutes from now" means five minutes in the future.

"Five minutes ago" means five minutes in the past.

• Like 1