Menu

Would you get rid of this?

alysee

My 4yo loved her IKEA play kitchen from 15 months to 3.5 years old but she hasn't played with it for 9 months. My husband wants to keep it since we do have another baby on the way but I want to get rid of it because it's already gone unplayed with for so long. What would you do? 

Keep it- I bet when the baby is a toddler that your oldest will have a renewed interest in playing with it, because she can be the mommy.  
Our youngest grand has a play kitchen and at 7.5 still plays with it often enough to warrant keeping it. 
Your Dd might renew her interest now if you refurbished her kitchen toys, like added more play food or something.

• Like 5

Keep  it and  maybe put  something different in  it for your 4 year old. One  of  my  dd's did not play kitchen  so much, but when I  made it look like a restaurant she could  not  stop  playing with it. I made little  menus, a little apron, gave her a pencil and a notepad. She went nuts. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Oh man. My baby is 22. We still have ours! Was I supposed to get rid of it? Lol. Thinking about future grandkids at this point.

yes, my kids are almost 20-31 and we still have ours.  DH saves everything for the grandkids that we don't have yet.  It's a bit much to say the least.  

If you have the storage space rotate it out until the new baby starts to pull up. Then bring it back. 

ETA: if space is at a premium get rid of all the big rarely played with toys. Kids generally want to play with small toys, not big ones. 

Edited by Katy

3 hours ago, alysee said:

My 4yo loved her IKEA play kitchen from 15 months to 3.5 years old but she hasn't played with it for 9 months. My husband wants to keep it since we do have another baby on the way but I want to get rid of it because it's already gone unplayed with for so long. What would you do? 

Our kids got a lot of use out of our play kitchen.  I would hang onto it.  We moved ours to the basement now that our youngest of 4 is 5.  It is probably almost time to say goodbye.  But play food and toy kitchen stuff was definitely a big hit with all of them. And I bet they cost a whole lot more these days to replace.

Edited by Ting Tang

5 hours ago, Annie G said:

Your Dd might renew her interest now if you refurbished her kitchen toys, like added more play food or something.

We didn’t have space for a play kitchen so we bought a toy microwave, a toy cash register and lots of play food. My boys had so much fun and we just add on to the play food collection when we see interesting ones.

OP,

I would keep the play kitchen for the baby. Even if I could afford to give away and buy again later, supply chain is still cranky and you might not be able to get another. Besides this play kitchen has lasted so long so it’s durability has been proven. New stock may not be as durable.