Menu

Shooting at a Texas elementary school

Terabith

Every single day we read a headline like this.

More often than not, there are these "warning" signs about the shooter, too.  But there is also little we can actually do until someone does something truly heinous, despite the warnings.

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Like 2

News reports here are all over the place. Some are saying it's a shooting at the school, some say it was a shooting near the school and the shooter barricaded himself inside. Some reports say kids were killed, some say they were injured during the event.  The media seems keen to run with rumors first about this rather than facts. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Every single day we read a headline like this.

More often than not, there are these "warning" signs about the shooter, too.  But there is also little we can actually do until someone does something truly heinous, despite the warnings.

But we can pass laws and regulations that would make it harder for someone with warning signs to succeed. 

• Like 14

abc7news post on Facebook 

“BREAKING NEWS: 14 students, 1 teacher dead in elementary school shooting, Texas governor says

Fourteen students and one teacher have been killed in a shooting at at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, Gov. Abbott said. Multiple sources told ABC News the suspect is dead.

Gov Abbott also identified the shooter as an 18-year-old man from Uvalde, who was a student at Uvalde High School. He reportedly shot his grandmother before heading into the school.“

• Sad 14

9 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

News reports here are all over the place. Some are saying it's a shooting at the school, some say it was a shooting near the school and the shooter barricaded himself inside. Some reports say kids were killed, some say they were injured during the event.  The media seems keen to run with rumors first about this rather than facts. 

It's usually like this in the beginning. The rush to be first to report is more important than the rush to be correct. We can always be correct later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

But we can pass laws and regulations that would make it harder for someone with warning signs to succeed. 

Unfortunately, Sandy Hook proved that we won't, as a nation, do what needs to be done.

• Like 17
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

abc7news post on Facebook 

“BREAKING NEWS: 14 students, 1 teacher dead in elementary school shooting, Texas governor says

Fourteen students and one teacher have been killed in a shooting at at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, Gov. Abbott said. Multiple sources told ABC News the suspect is dead.

Gov Abbott also identified the shooter as an 18-year-old man from Uvalde, who was a student at Uvalde High School. He reportedly shot his grandmother before heading into the school.“

Horrifying... beyond horrifying.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

Posts above make this seem like a replay of all the others.  😞  

Yes, and there needs to be more than that.

I think people are sicker than ever for a lot of reasons.

We can't have kids keep being sitting ducks.  And teachers shouldn't have to be armed.  

I didn't post about it when it happened, but there was a rash of gang-related drive by shootings in my town a month or two ago. Two people were shot at a park that is popular with families of littles, one of them killed. DS13 and I were walking a few blocks away when we heard gunshots.

Edited by MissLemon
  • Sad 17

12 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I didn't post about it when it happened, but there was a rash of gang-related drive by shootings in my town a month or two ago. Two people were shot at a park that is popular with families of littles, one of them killed. DS13 and I were walking a few blocks away when we heard gunshots.

The world is sick.  And we should ask ourselves why.  😞  Hope you and yours can stay safe. I hope that for everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just don't know what the point is of even talking about it anymore. After Sandy Hook, it's clear that nothing will happen. No change. We just have to accept that if we send our kids to school we are risking their lives. It's just the way life is now. Another day. Another 14 children dead. It's nearly the end of the school year here, I wonder if it's the same in Texas. I thought about keeping my kids out the final 2 days because there's nothing happening, but they want to go because the end of the year is fun. 

In Australia, people voluntarily turned in their weapons because they didn't want to see another school shooting. We do away with conceal carry laws and fight background checks. We love weapons more than people. Our priorities as a nation are clear.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 15
  • Sad 6

14 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

The world is sick.  And we should ask ourselves why.  😞  Hope you and yours can stay safe. I hope that for everyone. 

I'll be fine. We plan to leave the state ASAP.

Texas is pretty determined to kill off as many people as it can. I won't willingly return to this place after we leave. 

And I realize these things can happen anywhere, but Texas is pretty gun obsessed and too many people have a "screw you, I got mine, now get out of my way!" attitude now. I used to like my town, but it's gone to crap over the pandemic. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I agree....but we, as a country and in *many* states, are going in exactly the opposite direction. ANYONE can conceal carry now, in many states. No training, no permits, no background checks. This has happened despite the fact that, in many of those states, LE officials have asked/pleased/begged for these laws to not be passed (because it makes their job tougher and even more likely to be dangerous).

Oh well.

That's the US.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 8

26 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

I just don't know what the point is of even talking about it anymore. After Sandy Hook, it's clear that nothing will happen. No change. We just have to accept that if we send our kids to school we are risking their lives. It's just the way life is now. Another day. Another 14 children dead. It's nearly the end of the school year here, I wonder if it's the same in Texas. I thought about keeping my kids out the final 2 days because there's nothing happening, but they want to go because the end of the year is fun. 

In Australia, people voluntarily turned in their weapons because they didn't want to see another school shooting. We do away with conceal carry laws and fight background checks. We love weapons more than people. Our priorities as a nation are clear.

It's not just school where your kids' (or your) lives are at risk. Grocery stores, concerts, night clubs, any public gatherings, really. Supposedly all the good guns with guns (who apparently have perfect aim in all high-stress shoot-outs) are going to save us all. Still waiting for that to actually happen before a bunch of innocent people get mowed down first.

I hate sounding calloused but I've become that way. Too many Americans are far too ignorant to realize that it is entirely possible, given enough time and repeated bad decisions, to create a predicament *that becomes essentially unsolvable*. Which is where we are now at. I suppose that massive, systemic change could change things. As if that were even possible, given the values held here.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

I’ll keep talking about it because old people are eventually going to die and the kids who live this school life and their parents will gradually replace them in government.  At least, that’s how it gets addressed in my dreams.

• Like 15

And all the people that say it's not the guns but we need to catch these crazies before they kill, then are the SAME ONES who won't let red flag laws get passed, or safe storage laws get passed ...  I just have no words I can say on a public forum.  Keep your freakin guns since you will never give them up, but at least let some sane laws be passed to help stop this madness

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

The Washington Post is now reporting 14 students and 1 teacher are dead. :sad:

I also heard an early report - which may be incorrect or I misunderstood- that the shooter also killed his grandmother. Curious if any of you also heard this. 

7 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ll keep talking about it because old people are eventually going to die and the kids who live this school life and their parents will gradually replace them in government.  At least, that’s how it gets addressed in my dreams.

My kids have quietly let me know they and their peers can’t wait to have an effect on future government. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I'll be fine. We plan to leave the state ASAP.

Texas is pretty determined to kill off as many people as it can. I won't willingly return to this place after we leave. 

And I realize these things can happen anywhere, but Texas is pretty gun obsessed and too many people have a "screw you, I got mine, now get out of my way!" attitude now. I used to like my town, but it's gone to crap over the pandemic. 

I don't know, I am thinking a new planet might be better than a new state or even a new country at this point.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

The people I know who are ardently pro gun are in their 40s and their kids think the same way. They are always armed. It’s not going to change anytime in my lifetime. (I’m 41)

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, lauraw4321 said:

The people I know who are ardently pro gun are in their 40s and their kids think the same way. They are always armed. It’s not going to change anytime in my lifetime. (I’m 41)

I also know a number of 40-70yos entrenched in gun culture whose children (and now grandchildren) are disgusted by it. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

In my area, we do not have full time police protection, so there are a lot of 2nd amendment supporters.  A lot of people in Chicago have also become gun owners due to the violence---people you wouldn't typically associate with gun ownership.  I think broken people are committing these crimes, and of course, if they know how to access guns---you've got a major problem.  People with broken children perhaps shouldn't have guns that easily accessible.  Just thinking back to previous school shootings.  I don't know all the details from this one.   Also, people can make guns now using 3d printers.  I suppose that will get easier and easier, too.

1 minute ago, lauraw4321 said:

The Supreme Court’s jurisprudence on 2nd Amendment is going to mean that the only solution is a constitutional amendment. Regulations will be struck down left and right. 

That will never happen.  

What I DO think might could make a difference is massive monetary liabilities for gun makers.  

• Like 14

Colorado passed Red Flag laws and every single gun support group was against them.  They tried to pass safe storage laws, where people could be held accountable if they did not store their guns safely and something happened.  My County Sheriff was vehemently against it and everyone was so happy to that OUR SHERIFF was standing up for guns!  I asked about why on a public forum (big mistake).  Of course, dear God, seconds could make a difference, and the difference seconds COULD make was clearly MORE IMPORTANT than what IS HAPPENING when guns get into kids or others hands.

• Sad 8

53 minutes ago, Happy2BaMom said:

I agree....but we, as a country and in *many* states, are going in exactly the opposite direction. ANYONE can conceal carry now, in many states. No training, no permits, no background checks. This has happened despite the fact that, in many of those states, LE officials have asked/pleased/begged for these laws to not be passed (because it makes their job tougher and even more likely to be dangerous).

Texas, in September 2021, rolled out a law that you are no longer required to be licensed to conceal carry in the state. Despite all of the mass shootings that have happened there in the last decade (high school in Houston, Walmart in El Paso, both Ft. Hood shootings, BLM protest shooting in Dallas, various mall shootings, etc.) Texans have consistently rolled back gun restrictions.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Happy2BaMom said:

This has happened despite the fact that, in many of those states, LE officials have asked/pleased/begged for these laws to not be passed (because it makes their job tougher and even more likely to be dangerous).

And the people campaigning against these laws that law enforcement supports are the ones who consistently like to claim they are pro law enforcement, “back the blue” and all that. (Of course, they are also the same types who beat police officers with American Flags on January 6.) 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

It’s now 18 children dead.

They reported his grandmother was airlifted to a hospital and is still alive.

This country really needs to do something about gun access but I have zero hope we will.

With a handgun?  Is that all he had?

2 minutes ago, goldberry said:

I don’t think it’s been confirmed but I’ve seen it mentioned maybe a handgun and a rifle. Some are reporting he purchased two long guns on his 18th birthday (which would be legal in Texas). So many keep using different descriptors and such and I just don’t think they really know. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goldberry said:

I saw handgun and possibly a 'rifle' on CNN.  No idea what kind of rifle or if he actually had one.    

I think a question to be asking, in addition to the obvious gun issue, is how he got access to this school.   It should not be easy for anyone to get on a school campus anymore unless you're a student or faculty/staff.  

• Like 2