Menu

DH says I can paint the kitchen cabinets!

ktgrok

10 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

This is a great article about picking the right white for your kitchen.

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/how-to-choose-the-best-white-for-your-kitchen-cabinets/

Here is another about working with beige tiles. 

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/paint-colour-ideas-to-update-your-beige-tiles-or-carpet/

Ok, so maybe my instincts were right - she says with beige you want warm, with maybe pink or violet undertones. I read her review of Snowbound and it is warm with violet undertones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, so maybe my instincts were right - she says with beige you want warm, with maybe pink or violet undertones. I read her review of Snowbound and it is warm with violet undertones. 

The analysis in this review of snowbound is sort of confusing, but it has some great pictures which make the undertones quite apparent.  (And a snowbound kitchen with beige counters!)  I think it could be a great choice.

https://knockoffdecor.com/sherwin-williams-snowbound/

Edited by Lawyer&Mom

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

So, I bought paint! Bought 2 gallons of Emerald Urethane in Snowbound! Had a coupon that expired after today so bit the bullet and did it. 

This week I'll work on getting one door started at least, lol. 

Where’s the 🎉 reaction?! I can’t wait to see it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

Where’s the 🎉 reaction?! I can’t wait to see it!

I'm committed now!

Although, I came home from the store, did a few things outside, and walked into the kitchen and immediately panicked I'd chosen the wrong color. I'd painted a stool in it today, just with a sample, and suddenly it looked all grey and weird. Total panic. 

Then realized a few minutes later that EVERYTHING looked washed out and weird...cause I'd been out in the super bright Florida sunshine putting sand along the fence line, and my eyes hadn't adjusted to being indoors yet. Duh!

Once my eyes adjusted it looked fine. Whew!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Girlfriend! I am here for it! I have been waiting, living vicariously through you. Git.er.done. 😁😁😁 Photos must be uploaded immediately for the consumption of those of us salivating over your project.

Yes, yes.  I don't know how  many times I have clicked into this thread expecting to see photos.  50, 100?    I thought today was the day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I tried out the Emerald Urethane just on a wooden trinket thing I had from the dollar store, just to see what it was like. I like it! Not super super drippy, and it is leveling out REALLY well. I actually purposely left brush strokes on one section and they are almost all gone as it is drying. And they were BAD..again, done on purpose. 

Working time was good too - didn't dry super duper fast where going back over to catch any drips left a mark. 

I wanted to take one door off and start prepping it, but DD5 isn't feeling well, and is glued to my side right now on the couch. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I'm committed now!

Although, I came home from the store, did a few things outside, and walked into the kitchen and immediately panicked I'd chosen the wrong color. I'd painted a stool in it today, just with a sample, and suddenly it looked all grey and weird. Total panic. 

Then realized a few minutes later that EVERYTHING looked washed out and weird...cause I'd been out in the super bright Florida sunshine putting sand along the fence line, and my eyes hadn't adjusted to being indoors yet. Duh!

Once my eyes adjusted it looked fine. Whew!

I do that with transitions lenses.🤣 I’m super excited about your project!🍿Tell your Dd to get her act together so you can start!

Things are starting to happen! Numbered the cabinets and drawers, took down the doors on one side of the kitchen (bottom only so far - will do this in stages) and cleaned and sanded the frames and some of the drawers/doors. 

Will prime the frame/boxes/whatever you call it in that section today. Need to get hardware picked out before I do the cabinets I guess - assuming I should drill holes for hardware before painting? DH will actually do that part - he's careful - maybe he can do it after I paint?

• Like 2

Ok, convinced by the google to not paint doors until we drill for hardware. I'm thinking 5 inch is a standard size, that is larger than the old 3.5 inch ones, but not super big super modern - we are NOT modern in style in this house. Looking more cottage/farmhouse(ish). Specifically going to be decorating with some art prints of Old Florida - hoping to hit the local county historical society gift shop for that. Plus framed field guide to birds by the sliding door so we can use it to identify birds at the feeder, etc. So, not fancy, not modern. Thinking black as it looks nice with white cabinets, and we have black coffee makers, and the appliances are stainless with black accents. Other option would be the dark oil rubbed bronze I guess, we have brass/bronze hardware on some furniture in the next room, the more formal living room. So would go with that. 

Anyway, is that a good size? I kind of like these https://amzn.to/3wi9QUm

Are those super dated/ugly/something else I should know about? 

• Like 1

I've painted primer plus two coats of paint on about 1/4 of the bottom frames. The doors/drawers to that section are cleaned and sanded, but DH has been busy and not had time to discuss hardware placement. 

I have gotten better at brushing and rolling - DH said, "I can't believe those aren't sprayed" which was awesome. AND I got a cheap sprayer and set up a spray area in the garage to do the doors/drawer fronts. I tried it out today with just the false drawer fronts, and it worked really well! Going to do another coat before bed I think. 

DH thinks the spray area looks like the kill room from Dexter...I may be making him nervous, lol. image.thumb.png.dbaee546cf2981dab6909b67fc3aa82a.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

Hey, side question (and bump?) was wondering why you chose SW emerald over BM Advance. I’m trying to pick the brand for trim in a whole house (including French doors, built in bookcases etc). Thanks for any thoughts!

The BM advance takes stupid long to dry. Like, years it felt like, lol. Seriously though, I used it on some shelving for my son and after 24 hours it was still not dry enough to sand, and would mar if you touched it. The SW Urethane (not the regular Emerald) is similar in durability but can be recoated in 4 hours, vs 16 plus hours. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Why are there no new photos on this thread???? 🧐 (Says the woman who painted half her kitchen at the beginning of the pandemic and never quite got around to finishing)

This makes me feel better!  The other day I realized our bathroom cabinets are half painted.  I just stopped noticing.

7 hours ago, ktgrok said:

The BM advance takes stupid long to dry. Like, years it felt like, lol. Seriously though, I used it on some shelving for my son and after 24 hours it was still not dry enough to sand, and would mar if you touched it. The SW Urethane (not the regular Emerald) is similar in durability but can be recoated in 4 hours, vs 16 plus hours. 

Super helpful thanks. We are supposed to sand between coats, what? Anyway I’m not doing the actual paining but want to properly supervise lol 

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Why are there no new photos on this thread???? 🧐 (Says the woman who painted half her kitchen at the beginning of the pandemic and never quite got around to finishing)

Current situation, right this minute. They have two coats on the back, and one of the front right now. Just sprayed that front coat. I had been doing them laying flat, but Target has garment racks on sale for $4, so set up a vertical system. I sprayed a bit heavy though, so will need to sand out some runs before doing the second coat  . This is one section of the kitchen, when these are done being painted I'll clean the next set, and sand them. They are already off the hinges. Then there is one more set after that. 3/4th of the cabinet frames are already done as well. image.thumb.png.a97500fca9186e28c53e4d974affa27d.png

• Like 19

Oh, and I moved into the bathroom, because it is too dang hot in Florida to be spraying in the garage wearing a respirator! Plus, I kept banging the edges of the cabinet doors trying to navigate back inside to let them dry. And bugs were getting in the paint. 

37 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Current situation, right this minute. They have two coats on the back, and one of the front right now. Just sprayed that front coat. I had been doing them laying flat, but Target has garment racks on sale for $4, so set up a vertical system. I sprayed a bit heavy though, so will need to sand out some runs before doing the second coat  . This is one section of the kitchen, when these are done being painted I'll clean the next set, and sand them. They are already off the hinges. Then there is one more set after that. 3/4th of the cabinet frames are already done as well. image.thumb.png.a97500fca9186e28c53e4d974affa27d.png

That is an impressive and clever set up! Are you spraying without having to put up plastic all around?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KSera said:

That is an impressive and clever set up! Are you spraying without having to put up plastic all around?

Those are the drying racks. I have one in the bathroom with plastic all up, for the actual spraying. I bought cheap plastic drop cloths and since we don't have super high ceilings I was able to tape them to the ceiling while standing on a chair. I'll post a pic in a minute. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, happi duck said:

This makes me feel better!  The other day I realized our bathroom cabinets are half painted.  I just stopped noticing.

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

My old bedroom (now my son’s) has two cream walls and two blue walls. I started painting when they were small, got sidetracked, and now it’s like I don’t even see that the room has two colors in it. It’s been about 14 or so years.

Maybe when he moves out I’ll get around to painting it all one color…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

These look amazing! Did you have to strip the existing stain?

Nope. I cleaned with Krud cutter, scrubbing well, then wiped down with plain water to rinse, then sprayed/wiped with a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water. Then when dry sanded them a bit to scuff the finish. Then vacuum off the sanding dust, then wipe with a damp microfiber cloth to get all the dust off. 

Primed with 2 coats of BIN Shellac (that stuff stinks and dries super fast), sanding lightly. Vacuum, wipe down, then two coats (eventually) of the paint. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KSera said:

Yay! You did a great job. Remind me which white you ended up going with?

Snowbound, by sherwin williams. 

22 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Nice! Looks great with your stainless steel appliances!

Thank you! And I think the black hardware works with the black accents in the appliances. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:00 PM, madteaparty said:

How many gallons of paint did you end up using ? Sorry if you already mentioned, I missed it 

Just over 1 gallon. If I'd been rolling and brushing only, instead of spraying it would have been under 1 gallon I think. Spraying wastes a lot with the overspray. 

13 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Just over 1 gallon. If I'd been rolling and brushing only, instead of spraying it would have been under 1 gallon I think. Spraying wastes a lot with the overspray. 

Wow. I was just told by my contractor to buy 6 gallons of paint for my kitchen cabinets 🤔

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Wow. I was just told by my contractor to buy 6 gallons of paint for my kitchen cabinets 🤔

your kitchen must be WAY bigger than mine? Or?? I'm in two groups for cabinet painting and no one has used that much. 

Now, I didn't include primer in that - I used under a gallon of that as well.