Menu

DH says I can paint the kitchen cabinets!

ktgrok

Based on my experience, I suggest picking colors that are the closest to the current color. When I was choosing colors, I went to Home Depot/Lowes etc. and looked at the prepainted, cabinet door choices. Seeing colors in person, really helped me decide what I wanted.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ah...see, you seem to remember that it took a DECADE for my DH to finish the bathroom remodel in the old house, and even then it only happened because we were selling, lol. 

We don't have the budget to totally rip out and replace the cabinetry, which is what we want to do down the road. I eventually want mostly drawers, and cabinets without those stupid center dividers, etc etc etc. But that means actually replacing the cabinets, and that's not going to happen this year. Putting in granite if we are going to rip out the cabinets is a bad idea, so no granite now.

But we can paint, that's just some time (and I enjoy this kind of project) and not a lot of money. 

That's fair.  I'm all for having Big Project Energy.  I'm currently in love with the floor I just redid for my son's room.  It does make me happy when I look at it (except for the threshold and fireplace trim I haven't finished yet. 

Your wall is throwing some crazy yellow green undertones, and it's clashing with the undertones of your tile. I don't know if that's something that bothers you, but undertones of the wall combined with the orangey cabinets and the pinkish floor tile are something that I would try to reconcile if I, personally, were picking new cabinet colors.

ETA: I like the thistle color, but I'd for sure test swatch it next to the floor to see how it plays off of the tile.  The thistle likely will play nicely off of your wall color, but I'd consider white for your uppers, and really work on your prep work so you don't have orange bleed through from your cabinets when you go to paint.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Your wall is throwing some crazy yellow green undertones, and it's clashing with the undertones of your tile. I don't know if that's something that bothers you, but undertones of the wall combined with the orangey cabinets and the pinkish floor tile are something that I would try to reconcile if I, personally, were picking new cabinet colors.

ETA: I like the thistle color, but I'd for sure test swatch it next to the floor to see how it plays off of the tile.  The thistle likely will play nicely off of your wall color, but I'd consider white for your uppers, and really work on your prep work so you don't have orange bleed through from your cabinets when you go to paint.

You know, I'm looking now and I DO see that green undertone in some lighting! I never noticed it - but I'm loking into the front room from the kitchen table, and the sun is coming in those windows and I see it. And even though I couldn't articulate it, you are expressing, I think, what is DRIVING ME BONKERS that I can't quite explain. But the tones of the cabinet vs the table vs the floor vs the counter vs the walls is NOT working. 

If we go white, I'll use a shellac based primer - from what I've read shellac is the best thing to keep wood tannins from bleeding through. 

• Like 1

Honestly, even if you do the cabinets, you're not going to reconcile the wall and the tile flooring.  

I'm super sensitive to undertones, so I totally get that this might be a "me" issue, but personally I would paint the walls first to a more neutral undertone color and then address the cabinet issue. I think it's really hard to pick good colors when you have so much going on. Your countertops and floor look like they play nicely together based off of the photos you've posted. Maybe it's different in real life....but you've got the potential for some real cute for just sweat equity + paint. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Honestly, even if you do the cabinets, you're not going to reconcile the wall and the tile flooring.  

I'm super sensitive to undertones, so I totally get that this might be a "me" issue, but personally I would paint the walls first to a more neutral undertone color and then address the cabinet issue. I think it's really hard to pick good colors when you have so much going on. Your countertops and floor look like they play nicely together based off of the photos you've posted. Maybe it's different in real life....but you've got the potential for some real cute for just sweat equity + paint. 

I may need you to pick the paint then, lol. I am staring at the wall in the kitchen, and can't see the green AT ALL, but if I look into the dining area from here, I can see it. I'd have no hope of picking up on it in the store or on a sample, I don't think. I'm open to suggestions. 

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Totally agree with this. Everytime I look back at your initial pictures, my first thoughts go to what the wall color should be changed to. And that's one of the easiest fixes of all.

1. Post a picture of your trim color. I think it’s cream, not white, but I need to check the undertone.

2. What vibe do you want in your home? Beachy? Farmhouse? Transitional? What other colors do you like? Is the kitchen painted the same color as the next door room? That reads a lot more tan….

3. What do you want your cabinet colors to be? Maybe we can help you move in that direction. 

41 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. Post a picture of your trim color. I think it’s cream, not white, but I need to check the undertone.

2. What vibe do you want in your home? Beachy? Farmhouse? Transitional? What other colors do you like? Is the kitchen painted the same color as the next door room? That reads a lot more tan….

3. What do you want your cabinet colors to be? Maybe we can help you move in that direction. 

1. Will post trim tomorrow in natural lighting - looks white to me but what do I know, lol. I'm not good at this 🙂

2. Regarding wall paint, whole downstairs is the same color. It really just looks different in different lighting, as the sun moves, I think.

As for style..ugh...we kind of have to work backward from the pieces I got from my mom, that I'm keeping cause I love them and have good memories of them - a china hutch in cherry and an antique desk that is also cherry, although years of Old English have darkened it. Those are formal looking, and dark. Which kind of rules out things like beachy, or even a lot of farmhouse style stuff. But, I really like some cottage style stuff, and even some cottagecore stuff, and am thinking sort of an Anne of Green Gables vibe with some dark "fancy" stuff in the "parlor" but some more functional sturdy stuff elsewhere, with lots of neutrals but pops of color in the decor - flowers in vases ,lots of flowers in general in artwork, etc. Thinking a mix of dark woods and light fabrics.  And I LOVE baskets...so lots of baskets.

This is my St. Patrick's Day decor, and a photo of the hutch my mom gave us,  if that gives you any ideas. 

3. I'm thinking white upper, and either a more "neutral" type sage green, or dusty blue, or grey, or a dark gel stain for the bottom cabinets. 

st patrick's day floral.jpeg

st patrick's day.jpeg

IMG_6368.jpeg

Edited by ktgrok
  • Thanks 1

The good news is that (judging by the stuff restoration hardware is starting to stock), dark wood & brass is going to be trendy again soon.  Possibly with a brief interval of yellow/taupe wood first.   The other thing that's nice about that is that it's fairly timeless and unlacquered brass is anti-microbial.

You might consider gel staining the cabinets and adding a strip of wood to the top of the ones on the wall to add some crown molding on top and give them more presence.  I'd probably model it off of the trim at the top of your china cabinet. Instead of remodeling everything you could use Ana White's tutorials to turn the bottom cabinets into drawers.  We have the home depot version installed here and it is convenient and cheaper than a full remodel.

I hesitate to recommend any colors because I suspect your taste is a good deal warmer than mine. But I would definitely get sample pots of 3-4 colors you're considering them and try them before picking a paint. I might start with painting walls a white that coordinates with the palest color in your countertop.  Maybe Benjamin Moore White Opulence OC-69. It looks like white even next to white, but it's the slightest touch warm. I used it as the trim color in one house.

12 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I may need you to pick the paint then, lol. I am staring at the wall in the kitchen, and can't see the green AT ALL, but if I look into the dining area from here, I can see it. I'd have no hope of picking up on it in the store or on a sample, I don't think. I'm open to suggestions. 

I just looked back at the pictures and realised that I saw the walls as 'green' not 'green undertones'.  If they are cream/beige I would (personally) go for a more definite wall colour if the cabinets will be white, and I would make it warmer to tone with the tiles.  We have sage green on the walls of our rental property with white cabinets, but the floor is grey.

• Like 1

We’re cake stand twins! I use this thing everyday. Sometimes as a cake stand and sometimes as a punch/fruit bowl. 

I think you could make that China cabinet more cottagy by filling it with light/white dishes and putting some plants on top, and trailing down the side, to soften the edges. I think plants and light fix everything though so maybe you should ignore me. 😬

B539BE18-6748-49F9-8014-0411C243BE63.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Definitely try to coordinate those colors all together. Are you thinking a new table or painting what you have? 

Painting what i have, probably. Or staining it. 

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

We’re cake stand twins! I use this thing everyday. Sometimes as a cake stand and sometimes as a punch/fruit bowl. 

I think you could make that China cabinet more cottagy by filling it with light/white dishes and putting some plants on top, and trailing down the side, to soften the edges. I think plants and light fix everything though so maybe you should ignore me. 😬

B539BE18-6748-49F9-8014-0411C243BE63.jpeg

ooh, I like that!!! Would fake plants work? One of our cats tries to eat ALL the plants and so many are toxic I'm moving to mostly fake ones. (which she also tries to eat...but some rosemary essential oil keeps her away from them for a little while and at least they aren't going to cause kidney failure)

23 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Painting what i have, probably. Or staining it. 

ooh, I like that!!! Would fake plants work? One of our cats tries to eat ALL the plants and so many are toxic I'm moving to mostly fake ones. (which she also tries to eat...but some rosemary essential oil keeps her away from them for a little while and at least they aren't going to cause kidney failure)

I read recently that the part of your brain that is instinctually soothed by plants does not know the difference between real and fake. Even silk plants make everything better. 

• Like 3

Your walls remind me of the color Edgecomb Gray. I think going creamy white for your table and chairs (matching your trim and upper cabinet color) would blend nicely together and help all of that flow. 

I haven’t seen your new pics yet, but last night I was thinking that the color Alabaster White would be nice for your kitchen if your walls are actually close to Edgecomb Gray. You should be able to still do white uppers and sagey lowers if you pick the right sage green.

I had gel stained cabinets in my last house and did not love them, fwiw. They did not hold up well to kid wear and tear and they looked dated. 

I think if you do a lot of whites and creams you are going to have that classic look that will go with your traditional furniture while still feeling fresh and open and not to heavy. I agree that plants in the cabinets will help. Candles, antique books white those burlap colored spines, and other things might help. Kind of a Joanna Gaines styling look…earthy, classic, neutral.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:00 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I read recently that the part of your brain that is instinctually soothed by plants does not know the difference between real and fake. Even silk plants make everything better. 

I believe it! I have some fake lavender and white flowers in a basket - just walmart brand, nothing special. I just tossed them in the basket with some cleaning cloths that I use to clean cat puke, and it is silly how happy it makes me to see them!

On 3/15/2022 at 3:37 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

I had gel stained cabinets in my last house and did not love them, fwiw. They did not hold up well to kid wear and tear and they looked dated. 

I think if you do a lot of whites and creams you are going to have that classic look that will go with your traditional furniture while still feeling fresh and open and not to heavy. I agree that plants in the cabinets will help. Candles, antique books white those burlap colored spines, and other things might help. Kind of a Joanna Gaines styling look…earthy, classic, neutral.

All the photos I've found of gel stained cabinets online are NOT encouraging. Very streaky. I think you really would have to strip them, or paint first and then do a gel stain over, which of course wouldn't show the grain. 

And yes, I am thinking dark furniture paired with more cream/white stuff, plus lighter baskets, textiles, etc with pops of color from seasonal decor, flowers, art on the walls, etc will help me blend the formal dark furniture with a more homey look. Neutral backdrop with seasonal color. 

Ok, so, we are not in love with any of the samples we got, although we have some favorites. Also, including a photo of the wall/trim from the other room that looks more like it does in real life. 

Part of me says, leave the cabinets other than cleaning really really well for right now, and paint the oak table and chairs first. And I did order more samples from Fusion, as I only had two of their colors, but really liked how it went on as far as coverage. 

IMG_6423.jpeg

IMG_6406.jpeg

Edited by ktgrok

Oh, and with the hutch, I've seen people paint or put wallpaper on a piece of foam board or poster board, and cut it to fit into the back of the hutch, so it looks as if the inside is painted. But no actual paint touches the wood. I may try that, as a way to lighten it up. 

How's your project going?  Since it looks like you might be focusing on the table first an just cleaning the cabinets, have you ever used Renew on anything?  When I was evaluating my cabinet situation, I realized that my 50 year old cabinets were old enough that they were made of real wood.  It would cost me more than I was willing to pay to replace them with something that was even close to the quality that I already had.  However, I never disliked my cabinets the way you seem to.  Also, my darker cabinets draw the eye.  If I painted them white, the countertops (that I really do dislike) would be what draws the eye. 

I opted to go for a paint color that changed the feeling of the kitchen.  When I cleaned my cabinets and put Renew on them they looked so shiny and new and bounced the light in a whole different way.  It was enough of a change to humor me into focusing on other projects.  I may switch out the hardware one day. (I STILL haven't finished painting my kitchen and I started at the beginning of the pandemic.   I have cream laminate countertops that are old and not my color choice but are in PERFECT condition and I do nothing to take care of them.  I kind of want something out of the ordinary that requires no maintenance, but I have no idea what that is.  

At the moment, I need a new faucet, but I'm reluctant to do the mouse-a-cookie thing.  I mean, might as well do a new sink and counters at the same time . . . then do something about the backsplash . . . I'm tired thinking about it.  I'm just gonna watch @ktgrokwork instead and see if I can get inspired.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So...what do we think of navy cabinets? A dustyier Navy, if that makes sense? I was volunteering at the church on Saturday, helping run a parking lot during a festival, and kept looking at one of the buildings that is a sort of "dusty" navy wooden siding, with white trim, and it is super cute.  And that got me googling, and supposedly navy is a neutral, in that it goes with everything. It does seem like it can be dressed up or down, if that makes sense. Maybe navy lower and white upper? Saw quite a few kitchens like that when googling. i have a few samples coming...

Photo I found of the building. (which is owned by the church, I think, but I have no idea what it is used for...I keep meaning to ask, lol)

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 11.14.07 PM.png

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

I am always a fan of white and navy. Navy is a neutral in terms of clothing choices, but navy as a paint color has various undertones. You are going to want to swatch carefully. 

Hale navy is a popular color, but it can look almost black in low light. IME, plan on looking at things that look midtone blue but will read navy in real life. I have used navy a lot over the years and am always surprised each time I swatch stuff.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7604-smoky-blue

This color read as navy blue when I used it a couple of houses ago in a lower light area. ETA: it looks nothing like the color on Sherwin Williams; it looked much closer to the house pic you shared.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2

Did you know that you can do a virtual paint color consultation with Sherwin Williams? 

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwizr6Slktf2AhX7Pq0GHTjjCu4YABAAGgJwdg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESaeD2T14NVYS9YTl8dWcJwmd26FAvUD6oOqN-X5LRh3R9KH1qCDNA02r9ELZOhbBKjQ__Ijximj-6yLJpgnbqqsEYXaZx7ZsCvL9yOgJiS8Jr4yo9Az8PUtM-3B1JqXgsYJE7OcR4UUSapg&sig=AOD64_2e_Xl4LmpHt-1VreDJUxVr5Z9zqg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwjAnpClktf2AhVIEEQIHctBCzkQ0Qx6BAgCEAE&dct=1

I painted the cabinets navy in a condo that we bought. Turned out great! I used beadboard wallpaper as the backsplash (painted with a gloss paint), took down some upper cabinets and put in two big white shelves. The kitchen was transformed - so much brighter and fun. 

Open shelving is not for everyone, but it is great in some  places - even just a bit can really lighten up  a space. I think they are great for a busy kitchen but only if you have a set of matching plates, bowls, etc.. mismatched coffee mugs, for example, look like a mess, but when they are all the same color - nice. Or you can use baskets on the shelves to hide the stuff. My son, who lives in the condo, has red Fiesta Ware - it looks great on the shelf, large blue glasses, and some nice mixing bowls. He is not neat but the open shelves work well, even for him. 

I also painted my cabinets black (in my old house). I also took down some uppers and used open shelving and then  put frosted glass in most of the other uppers so the black was not overwhelming on top and still on another cabinet I just took the doors and removed the center part. 
Darker paints are going to look better over time in a kitchen, in my opinion. 

by the way... 

Open shelving is not for everyone, but it is great in some  places - even just a bit can really lighten up  a space. I think they are great for a busy kitchen but only if you have a set of matching plates, bowls, etc.. mismatched coffee mugs, for example, look like a mess, but when they are all the same color - nice. Or you can use baskets on the shelves to hide the stuff. My son, who lives in the condo, has red Fiesta Ware - it looks great on the shelf, large blue glasses, and some nice mixing bowls. He is not neat but the open shelves work well, even for him.  And the trend is probably on its way out. But it is way cheaper than new cabinets and the bead board hides the holes and damage from removing the cabinet, plus the beadboard wallpaper is cheap and easy to install. Saying all of this since you want to redo your entire kitchen in a few years. Don't spend much now. 

My new patio home has dark navy with gray undertones cabinets. The island and the master bath are navy. Since I am definitely a green decorator , never blue, this has been an adjustment. I keep telling myself it’s more gray than blue. And navy works well with my sage green pottery.

The first picture is a close up,of thr cabinet which shows the color . Sorry, it was moving day and I cropped people out of that photo. The 2nd was realtor pHoto from realtor.com. It is truly not that gray.

AB9EBE72-8C3A-4550-B5CA-C84EB0FE64FF.jpeg

C3FB488B-3406-489B-9707-5344CA9460B6.jpeg

Edited by KatieInMN
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am always a fan of white and navy. Navy is a neutral in terms of clothing choices, but navy as a paint color has various undertones. You are going to want to swatch carefully. 

Hale navy is a popular color, but it can look almost black in low light. IME, plan on looking at things that look midtone blue but will read navy in real life. I have used navy a lot over the years and am always surprised each time I swatch stuff.

Yes - midtone that read navy! And yes, will do big swatches. I tried card stock with the last samples but it absorbs weirdly, so going to try foam bard next time I think. And any winners will get a stripe painted on the inside cabinet door as well. 

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7604-smoky-blue

This color read as navy blue when I used it a couple of houses ago in a lower light area. ETA: it looks nothing like the color on Sherwin Williams; it looked much closer to the house pic you shared.

smokey is a good word for what I'm trying to describe. 

3 hours ago, lmrich said:

Did you know that you can do a virtual paint color consultation with Sherwin Williams? 

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwizr6Slktf2AhX7Pq0GHTjjCu4YABAAGgJwdg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESaeD2T14NVYS9YTl8dWcJwmd26FAvUD6oOqN-X5LRh3R9KH1qCDNA02r9ELZOhbBKjQ__Ijximj-6yLJpgnbqqsEYXaZx7ZsCvL9yOgJiS8Jr4yo9Az8PUtM-3B1JqXgsYJE7OcR4UUSapg&sig=AOD64_2e_Xl4LmpHt-1VreDJUxVr5Z9zqg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwjAnpClktf2AhVIEEQIHctBCzkQ0Qx6BAgCEAE&dct=1

I painted the cabinets navy in a condo that we bought. Turned out great! I used beadboard wallpaper as the backsplash (painted with a gloss paint), took down some upper cabinets and put in two big white shelves. The kitchen was transformed - so much brighter and fun. 

Open shelving is not for everyone, but it is great in some  places - even just a bit can really lighten up  a space. I think they are great for a busy kitchen but only if you have a set of matching plates, bowls, etc.. mismatched coffee mugs, for example, look like a mess, but when they are all the same color - nice. Or you can use baskets on the shelves to hide the stuff. My son, who lives in the condo, has red Fiesta Ware - it looks great on the shelf, large blue glasses, and some nice mixing bowls. He is not neat but the open shelves work well, even for him. 

I also painted my cabinets black (in my old house). I also took down some uppers and used open shelving and then  put frosted glass in most of the other uppers so the black was not overwhelming on top and still on another cabinet I just took the doors and removed the center part. 
Darker paints are going to look better over time in a kitchen, in my opinion. 

by the way... 

Open shelving is not for everyone, but it is great in some  places - even just a bit can really lighten up  a space. I think they are great for a busy kitchen but only if you have a set of matching plates, bowls, etc.. mismatched coffee mugs, for example, look like a mess, but when they are all the same color - nice. Or you can use baskets on the shelves to hide the stuff. My son, who lives in the condo, has red Fiesta Ware - it looks great on the shelf, large blue glasses, and some nice mixing bowls. He is not neat but the open shelves work well, even for him.  And the trend is probably on its way out. But it is way cheaper than new cabinets and the bead board hides the holes and damage from removing the cabinet, plus the beadboard wallpaper is cheap and easy to install. Saying all of this since you want to redo your entire kitchen in a few years. Don't spend much now. 

1 hour ago, KatieInMN said:

My new patio home has dark navy with gray undertones cabinets. The island and the master bath are navy. Since I am definitely a green decorator , never blue, this has been an adjustment. I keep telling myself it’s more gray than blue. And navy works well with my sage green pottery.

The first picture is a close up,of thr cabinet which shows the color . Sorry, it was moving day and I cropped people out of that photo. The 2nd was realtor pHoto from realtor.com. It is truly not that gray.

AB9EBE72-8C3A-4550-B5CA-C84EB0FE64FF.jpeg

C3FB488B-3406-489B-9707-5344CA9460B6.jpeg

I didn't know that about the color consultation, will check it out!

and I'd LOVE open shelving - I hate closing cabinet doors, which drives DH nuts, lol. Only concern is if the cats would then think they could hang out up there...would need to discourage that. Rosemary essential oil seems to work to keep them from eating my fake flowers, so that might work. My initial plan is to convince DH to just let me keep the doors off the middle cabinet, to see what we think. That way I have closed cabinets to hide the ugly stuff, and one open where I'd put our white dishes on first level and white serving dishes on the middle shelf and some pretty glassware on the top shelf.  Just see how it goes, and can replace doors if need be. 

23 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And yes, will do big swatches. I tried card stock with the last samples but it absorbs weirdly, so going to try foam bard next time I think. And any winners will get a stripe painted on the inside cabinet door as well. 

I had success using the samples from samplize.com last time I painted. I did paint a large foam core board once I had what I thought was the winner,  but it was easier and less expensive to first order 4-5 samples rather than have to buy that many different paint colors and use a little to paint a sample and then have to find someone who wanted the leftovers. There were a few easy nos as soon as I had actual samples in hand.

As an aside, I was watching a home show over the weekend and they did a kitchen with green lower cabinets and white upper. It was very pretty and I thought of you immediately. Episode 4 of Family Home Overhaul, if you’re interested. 

Edited by KSera
Fixed link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

I had success using the samples from samplize.com last time I painted. I did paint a large foam core board once I had what I thought was the winner,  but it was easier and less expensive to first order 4-5 samples rather than have to buy that many different paint colors and use a little to paint a sample and then have to find someone who wanted the leftovers. There were a few easy nos as soon as I had actual samples in hand.

As an aside, I was watching a home show over the weekend and they did a kitchen with green lower cabinets and white upper. It was very pretty and I thought of you immediately. Episode 4 of Family Home Overhaul, if you’re interested. 

I'll have to see if I can find that! 

As for Samplilize, I've used them before for wall color, but not sure they will have what I want for this, as I'm steering toward small businesses/companies. But I'll check. 

• Like 1

I love navy blue and white. Our exterior house color is hale navy. What I find hard about navy blue is the colors that go with it. Red gets you into the flag motif. Yellow is hit or miss for me. I think it looks great with a bright green, lemon, butter yellow, etc, but those are hard to work into other decors unless you’re really going strong in that direction. 

I guess I’d just caution to think about what you would do with the rest of your colors- what would be your accent colors? Would they go with other rooms open to the kitchen, etc. 

That’s just my opinion, from trying to find front door colors for the past 15 years! 

You’re probably looking already- but Pinterest is a great way to get visual ideas. Type in navy kitchen and you’ll get tons of inspiration pics. Or any other color you’re considering. 

• Like 1

So now looking at Benjamin Moore Van Courtland Blue and Whipple Blue and Sherwin Williams Smokey Blue, Wall Street Blue, and Whirlpool blue. Just ordered Sampilize samples of those. 

Looking at various whites as well, with the issue of it being supposed to match the baseboards/trim, but that is REALLY REALLY white, and I'm not sure that's going to be TOO white. So may just repaint the baseboards and pantry as well. (Plan is white uppers, blue lower cabinets). 

Trying to find something that will work with existing counter for now, rather than replacing or repainting, still not sure what will happen on that front. 

also going to get some bigger sample swatches of BM Oil Cloth, Antique Pewter, Camoflage, and Carolina Gull. They have 4x8 inch samples on their website for 1.99, vs the 5.99 for the big ones, and this is adding up, lol. 

Also probably doing Benjamin Moore Advance paint. 

• Like 1

also going to get some bigger sample swatches of BM Oil Cloth, Antique Pewter, Camoflage, and Carolina Gull. They have 4x8 inch samples on their website for 1.99, vs the 5.99 for the big ones, and this is adding up, lol. And...DH is not a fan of green, given his color blindness, although he got the Enchroma glasses and they make a HUGE difference. HIs type, however, only work really well in strong daylight, mostly outdoors 😞 so probably doing blue, not green, but at least going to order the 4x8 swatches. 

Oh, and just signed up for a free color consult from Sherwin Williams (although likely using BM paint, I know they can color match). 

IMG_6564.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

also going to get some bigger sample swatches of BM Oil Cloth, Antique Pewter, Camoflage, and Carolina Gull. They have 4x8 inch samples on their website for 1.99, vs the 5.99 for the big ones, and this is adding up, lol. And...DH is not a fan of green, given his color blindness, although he got the Enchroma glasses and they make a HUGE difference. HIs type, however, only work really well in strong daylight, mostly outdoors 😞 so probably doing blue, not green, but at least going to order the 4x8 swatches. 

Oh, and just signed up for a free color consult from Sherwin Williams (although likely using BM paint, I know they can color match). 

IMG_6564.jpg

I really love the one to the far right. You're cabinets are going to look great painted.

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

I like the two to the far right, especially the second (the star punch one).  

Same. I do think you will need to repaint your walls as well though. The tones in the blue vs the undertones in the wall don’t feel right together to me. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I really love the one to the far right. You're cabinets are going to look great painted.

19 minutes ago, Katy said:

I like the two to the far right, especially the second (the star punch one).  Judging from Instagram, dark/moody colors are the next trend.

The one on the far right is our top pick 🙂. That one is Smoky Blue. 
and yup, agree about repainting walls. Open to suggestions. 

33 minutes ago, mmasc said:

My vote is next-to-last (the biggest one with the star). I think the undertones of that one look best with the warmer colors of your floor and countertops. 

That’s Wall Street and it is just a bit too dark for me, I should look up what is similar but a bit lighter. That’s my second favorite. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

That’s Wall Street and it is just a bit too dark for me, I should look up what is similar but a bit lighter. That’s my second favorite. 

The last one is my second favorite. Maybe that one is the sweet spot for you—brighter blue but not as light as the first ones. 

• Like 1

I'm team Smoky Blue on this one. It goes well with your countertops which pull a lot of yellow and your floor which pulls pink. 

Honestly, Katie, it looks nice enough I'd be tempted to paint uppers and lowers that blue and do a white on the wall behind it.....  I can't find my ring of Benjamin Moore colors, but I'd be looking at Chantilly Lace, White Dove, Simply White, and Alabaster to see which pairs up nicely.  I used Smoky White and Simply White together in our old house, but our tile was different than yours.  Either way, I'd look in those neutral to warm whites.  You need whatever is going to play nicely with those lighter tones in the countertop.

Even if you do white uppers, I'd be tempted to swatch white walls also....something soft and neutral feeling that fades back enough to let the white of your cabinetry pop. You've got so many other colors going on you need something neutral and mellow to make it all blend and play nice with each other.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Katy said:

Get a swatch of Benjamin Moore White Opulence (OC-69) and hold it up to the counter & blue.  That's been my favorite white color for about 10 years.  I tried a cream for my bathroom and just repainted it that color today.

Thank you, I'll get a swatch of that one. I have a few coming, but not that one. I like the name 🙂

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm team Smoky Blue on this one. It goes well with your countertops which pull a lot of yellow and your floor which pulls pink. 

Honestly, Katie, it looks nice enough I'd be tempted to paint uppers and lowers that blue and do a white on the wall behind it.....  I can't find my ring of Benjamin Moore colors, but I'd be looking at Chantilly Lace, White Dove, Simply White, and Alabaster to see which pairs up nicely.  I used Smoky White and Simply White together in our old house, but our tile was different than yours.  Either way, I'd look in those neutral to warm whites.  You need whatever is going to play nicely with those lighter tones in the countertop.

Even if you do white uppers, I'd be tempted to swatch white walls also....something soft and neutral feeling that fades back enough to let the white of your cabinetry pop. You've got so many other colors going on you need something neutral and mellow to make it all blend and play nice with each other.

I actually am playing now with the sherwin williams tool where you can upload a photo of your room and "paint it" and doing all the cabinets that blue with a white wall behind it does look pretty darn good. Only issue of course is that the whole HOUSE is that wall color....but I don't LIKE that color, so painting it is going to happen sooner or later anyway....

But, if I do white walls, what about the trim and pantry doors? Aka, if you give a mouse a cookie...

• Haha 1

White on white is trending. So is matching wall & trim color or white on off white. I’ve also seen multiple designers recently posting white walls and revere pewter trim. Literally the reverse but same color scheme of 10 years ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mmasc said:

My vote is next-to-last (the biggest one with the star). I think the undertones of that one look best with the warmer colors of your floor and countertops. 

Totally agree. I'd like to see that swatch next to the floor as well, though.

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I am betting the one on the far right will feel a lot brighter when painted over a larger area. I would go with the card with the star on it.

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Totally agree. I'd like to see that swatch next to the floor as well, though.

So...after looking at it more, I'm thinking I agree. 

It's funny, first thing in the morning I like the Smoky Blue (far right) but as the day goes on I like Wall Street (one with the star) better, and by evening I definitely prefer it. (Eastern exposure). 

I do think the Smoky Blue is likely too blue, and the Wall Street is more neutralish. Did this mock up with the Sherwin Williams website, using Wall Street on the cabinets and Alabaster on the walls. 

wall street kitchen.jpeg

• Like 4