Menu

DH says I can paint the kitchen cabinets!

ktgrok

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So...after looking at it more, I'm thinking I agree. 

It's funny, first thing in the morning I like the Smoky Blue (far right) but as the day goes on I like Wall Street (one with the star) better, and by evening I definitely prefer it. (Eastern exposure). 

I do think the Smoky Blue is likely too blue, and the Wall Street is more neutralish. Did this mock up with the Sherwin Williams website, using Wall Street on the cabinets and Alabaster on the walls. 

wall street kitchen.jpeg

I’m definitely liking that direction with the blue. It helps your stainless fridge look more cohesive with everything else as well. Alabaster is one of the colors I was going to suggest to you, but from the mock up, I’m not sure. I really want to see a sample against your existing door and trim on the left side of that picture. Usually it’s a warm white, but in that picture it seems to be reading a little more taupish gray to me. I’m wondering if that will be accurate in person. You must have very white trim. In my house, alabaster makes the trim look downright yellow, whereas you have the reverse going on. Wall Street was my preference, but now that I’m seeing it, I am a little curious what a smoky blue would look like. I’m also wondering what color you were thinking you would be painting the kickplate trim at the bottom of the cabinets. I see the mock up takes the blue all the way to the ground.

A few sampalize things came. I am going to get more, Wall Street isn’t even in this set, but waiting to talk to a sherwin Williams color consultant. They are free, and introverts like me can do them via email! So one I have her input I’ll order more. Or pick up sample of paint and paint foam boards- same price for the peel and stick things or an 8 oz sample of paint. 

3AE10119-DE16-4E86-A991-81B1EEAEEA8A.jpeg

42 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

A few sampalize things came. I am going to get more, Wall Street isn’t even in this set, but waiting to talk to a sherwin Williams color consultant. They are free, and introverts like me can do them via email! So one I have her input I’ll order more. Or pick up sample of paint and paint foam boards- same price for the peel and stick things or an 8 oz sample of paint. 

3AE10119-DE16-4E86-A991-81B1EEAEEA8A.jpeg

For me, I would only be considering the first and third sample above. Any chance you would consider getting a small sample of paint and either painting that wall to the left of the cabinets or the space between the counter and the cabinets? Seems like it would help a lot if you had one of those walls white to pick out your samples against. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

For me, I would only be considering the first and third sample above. Any chance you would consider getting a small sample of paint and either painting that wall to the left of the cabinets or the space between the counter and the cabinets? Seems like it would help a lot if you had one of those walls white to pick out your samples against. 

Me too.  Although I wouldn't hate the medium colors if you were going for a French vibe, but I don't think you are. Jennifer L Scott redid her kitchen in the past few years and was trying to go for a medium gray, but it just came out blue.  She said they felt it was french and decided they liked it.  Let me see if I can find a link.

Did the free color consultation by email today - that was quick! 

She suggests doing upper and lower the same, and discourages white as in her experience they just get too grungy by the handles. She sent a palette over, and whirlpool is on there, one of the ones in the photo (I think far right of the big sticky ones in newest photo). The lighter colors were wall suggestions. She thinks not so dark, since doing both upper and lower, which makes sense. 

Katie Meyer.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Katy said:

Here it is:

That did come out very pretty with that lighter blue. I think Katie would have to be redoing the countertops as well to make that type of blue work, don't you think? It's also a good illustration on how different a color can look when it's on the whole surface vs just a sample. They even painted full cabinet doors and they still looked gray to them until all the cabinets were done. We had that happen with a gray that went blue in a room despite doing big samples (where it leaned more green than blue, which I was happy with). Fortunately I like it anyway.

Just now, KSera said:

That did come out very pretty with that lighter blue. I think Katie would have to be redoing the countertops as well to make that type of blue work, don't you think? It's also a good illustration on how different a color can look when it's on the whole surface vs just a sample. They even painted full cabinet doors and they still looked gray to them until all the cabinets were done. We had that happen with a gray that went blue in a room despite doing big samples (where it leaned more green than blue, which I was happy with). Fortunately I like it anyway.

Well, as of 20 minutes ago he is saying, "I really think we should redo the countertops as well", lol. 

So, as long as it goes okay with the flooring, the counters it seems are not an obstacle. And the floors are much less yellow/warm. More neutral. 

• Like 3

ooh, if you can do countertops, that does make it a lot easier. I'm getting overly invested in your kitchen remodel 🤣. I found some cabinets done in Whirlpool, and they're pretty, but really seem to need white against them to me: https://bandddesign.com/roundup-of-our-favorite-blue-paint-colors/. I found some pictures of cabinets in Wall Street as well, and they look darker than I expected in a space that isn't flooded with light. You might be happier with Smoky Blue since it does seem from your samples that you keep gravitating to lighter blues, so Wall Street might feel too dark for you.

I have to say I'm not feeling her white choices--too beige to me, but what do I know.

We've never actually done a kitchen remodel, so I'm living vicariously through yours.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

ooh, if you can do countertops, that does make it a lot easier. I'm getting overly invested in your kitchen remodel 🤣. I found some cabinets done in Whirlpool, and they're pretty, but really seem to need white against them to me: https://bandddesign.com/roundup-of-our-favorite-blue-paint-colors/. I found some pictures of cabinets in Wall Street as well, and they look darker than I expected in a space that isn't flooded with light. You might be happier with Smoky Blue since it does seem from your samples that you keep gravitating to lighter blues, so Wall Street might feel too dark for you.

I have to say I'm not feeling her white choices--too beige to me, but what do I know.

We've never actually done a kitchen remodel, so I'm living vicariously through yours.

I think she's trying to have me not paint the trim too, lol. 

The walls honestly are not happening first, per DH. (so I need him to go out of town so I can do them, lol) BUT, he wants to put in a backsplash, so that will help - cabinets won't have the wall color sandwiched between them like now. 

Counter will be something inexpensive, since we are goin to gut it all in a few years, but the color really is pretty terrible. 

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

The walls honestly are not happening first, per DH. (so I need him to go out of town so I can do them, lol) BUT, he wants to put in a backsplash, so that will help - cabinets won't have the wall color sandwiched between them like now. 

Oh good! Backsplash even better. Do you mean dh wouldnt let you paint the wall to the left of the cabinets a sample color? Painting a big swatch on the wall has the side benefit of not letting the project getting kicked down the road, because once you do that, you're going to want to not leave it like that for too long (although I do recall your bathroom project...)

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Oh good! Backsplash even better. Do you mean dh wouldnt let you paint the wall to the left of the cabinets a sample color? Painting a big swatch on the wall has the side benefit of not letting the project getting kicked down the road, because once you do that, you're going to want to not leave it like that for too long (although I do recall your bathroom project...)

Ha!!!

I'm sure he would, the issue is that all the walls sort of connect, so painting the kitchen sort of means painting the entire downstairs, and then there is the stairs themselves...etc. He'd be more okay with a totally different color, rather than one that looks too close to what is there now - so it looks purposeful rather than weirdly not matching, if that makes sense? 

When I get my kitchen clean enough to take a picture, I will post it as I am in strong need of advice. The cupboards are in fine shape, but the finish is not. I am thinking maybe restaining them. I am not sure. The wood floors and then the wood on the cupboards are the only wood in the house. The trim is painted. I do not like the trim color so I won't be staying with that.

Can you put Whirlpool and the third one from the left from the earlier pic one cabinet apart, with nothing else there in whatever light you have going on right now that is pulling up those green undertones like in your most recent pic? 

ETA: I really like Wall Street also.

I don't think you'd have to paint.....you could get by without it.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Can you put Whirlpool and the third one from the left from the earlier pic one cabinet apart, with nothing else there in whatever light you have going on right now that is pulling up those green undertones like in your most recent pic? 

ETA: I really like Wall Street also.

I don't think you'd have to paint.....you could get by without it.

That one was Van Courtland Blue. 

So same as last pic - I think it is the different lighting. Right now is some natural light but mostly artificial, earlier one was fully daylight. 

Just now, Faith-manor said:

I have no idea! Really! But you just have to paint this kitchen and post photos ASAP so I can show Mark, and tell him, " 😛 See, wood cupboards can be painted and look lovely!" 😁

ha! If it helps, large parts are veneer, they are not like, solid nice wood. 

10 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Afternoon light in a different place in kitchen. Whirlpool on left, van courtland on right. 

44959F97-CAF0-4E9A-B839-A8D4EDFBE5AF.jpeg

Super similar, but I prefer the one on the left. Seeing them closer to the countertop though, I don't think you could go this direction if keeping the countertop (I mean, of course you could, but I don't think you would be happy with the results).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thewellerman said:

Does the one on the right have more green?

It does, I think. I have more samples coming today that are actually a bit different, lol. 

6 hours ago, KSera said:

Super similar, but I prefer the one on the left. Seeing them closer to the countertop though, I don't think you could go this direction if keeping the countertop (I mean, of course you could, but I don't think you would be happy with the results).

Same as to preferring the left. I prefer the brand of paint on the right though, and I'm reading that color matching between brands isn't always great? So will get an actual 8 oz sample pot if I go with that one, so that I can make sure they color match well. 

As for the counters....shhh! You'll expose my evil plan 🙂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

As for the counters....shhh! You'll expose my evil plan 🙂

You know you can easily paint your counter tops, too? It was easy (way easier than painting cabinets), but it did take a lot of drying time.  It cost less than $100. 

44 minutes ago, lmrich said:

You know you can easily paint your counter tops, too? It was easy (way easier than painting cabinets), but it did take a lot of drying time.  It cost less than $100. 

I do, and that may happen, but Dh thinks that's a bad idea. So he wants to replace it. I'll give him SOME time to replace it. But if he doesn't....yeah I've got some pages on painting it bookmarked, lol 🙂

Did it hold up well? What did you use?

21 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

New samples, left to right is Blustery Sky, Whirpool, Van Courtland, and Debonair. 

On floor are Blustery Sky, Whirlpool, and Debonair. I think Debonair is the top one....

cabinets with colors.jpg

floor with 3 colors.jpg

I like Blustery Sky in the picture on the cabinets, but I think Debonair looks better with the tile. 

So, maybe because today is gloomy and it started raining, but I'm leaning toward Whirlpool or Debonair. I think they look better with the stainless steel, and are prettier. And of those, I think Debonair is more "cottage" feeling maybe. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

So, maybe because today is gloomy and it started raining, but I'm leaning toward Whirlpool or Debonair. I think they look better with the stainless steel, and are prettier. And of those, I think Debonair is more "cottage" feeling maybe. 

I love the cottage feel. When we finally find our new home, that's what I'm going for too.

For the countertops I used Zissner extreme adhesion as the base coat. Then I did a base a white. I did a faux marble effect which was much easier that you would think. I practiced a good bit first but it looks great. I topped it with 5 coats of a water based poly. It is in my son's condo -it has held up great except where his air fryer sits next to it. If he would have pulled the air fryer out a bit then the heat would not have collected behind it (and turn the vent on). And only with that there is a slight yellowing from the poly. There are no chips.  I was pleased with it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I think it would hold up for you until you can get the dream kitchen. Why spend more money on temporary laminate and add the landfill? 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, lmrich said:

For the countertops I used Zissner extreme adhesion as the base coat. Then I did a base a white. I did a faux marble effect which was much easier that you would think. I practiced a good bit first but it looks great. I topped it with 5 coats of a water based poly. It is in my son's condo -it has held up great except where his air fryer sits next to it. If he would have pulled the air fryer out a bit then the heat would not have collected behind it (and turn the vent on). And only with that there is a slight yellowing from the poly. There are no chips.  I was pleased with it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I think it would hold up for you until you can get the dream kitchen. Why spend more money on temporary laminate and add the landfill? 

Ok, could totally do that! I’ve also seen faux wood look ones. 

I found some examples of your cabinet color choices on this website (use the search field): https://www.2cabinetgirls.com/afters/

I think looking through their before and afters is actually kind of helpful to see what does and doesn't work. I honestly think they do an awful lot of jobs where the color choices are not good for the space. I gather they are just painters and not designers (they're also clearly not photographers and really need some help getting properly fit photos! Poor lighting in photos can make a decent space look much worse than it is.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KSera said:

I found some examples of your cabinet color choices on this website (use the search field): https://www.2cabinetgirls.com/afters/

I think looking through their before and afters is actually kind of helpful to see what does and doesn't work. I honestly think they do an awful lot of jobs where the color choices are not good for the space. I gather they are just painters and not designers (they're also clearly not photographers and really need some help getting properly fit photos! Poor lighting in photos can make a decent space look much worse than it is.)

Ooooh, that Hale Navy is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing this link.

22 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

The sherwin williams site lets you "paint" various photos. Did one with debonair, one with blustery sky. 

Have you tried doing it on pictures of your own kitchen? I know their site is really fussy to paint photos with, but the cabinet part shouldn't be too complicated. Alternatively, could you at least turn the wall colors in those pictures to be what you currently have?

Just now, KSera said:

Have you tried doing it on pictures of your own kitchen? I know their site is really fussy to paint photos with, but the cabinet part shouldn't be too complicated. Alternatively, could you at least turn the wall colors in those pictures to be what you currently have?

I tried, but it sort of overlays the color on the original rather than fully replacing it. It's weird. 

I can try to find a closer color to my walls. 

I just love the light colors in the second picture. but I think the floor in this image is lighter than yours. That could have been just the lighting of your pictures, though. I would be waffling back and forth too. I know it's just paint but painting cabinets is a lot of work and you want to get it right the first time.

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I really like the second one. It had a light kind of happy sigh feel to it.

It does feel happy to me!

Honestly, darker likely makes more sense, but that lighter one makes me happy to look at it. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 3:13 PM, ktgrok said:

It does feel happy to me!

Honestly, darker likely makes more sense, but that lighter one makes me happy to look at it. 

I think this is your answer right here! 

Also, since you’ve narrowed it down you could ask yourself this question:

IF the color isn’t absolutely perfect when I’m done, will I be more upset if it’s too dark or if it’s too light? 

• Like 1

So I grabbed some foam core boards from the dollar store, and some small sample pots of Debonaire and a few others at Ace this weekend. Let DD5 (yikes - she's 5 now!) paint one. Will do the others today probably. Got side tracked painting a set of cube shelves (Kallax) for DS9. Good way to practice technique, and I got the Benjamin Moore Advance paint which I plan to usse on the cabinets, to get a feel for it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mmasc said:

I think this is your answer right here! 

Also, since you’ve narrowed it down you could ask yourself this question:

IF the color isn’t absolutely perfect when I’m done, will I be more upset if it’s too dark or if it’s too light? 

Excellent question!!!

• Like 1