Menu

DH says I can paint the kitchen cabinets!

ktgrok

17 minutes ago, Chelli said:

I really love the darker one. It seems to go best with counters, walls, and floor. I know you are changing counters and walls, but I think your kitchen is light enough it could handle the slightly darker blue. 

I agree. If you’re not sure if you are changing your counters then the one on the left definitely seems better to me. If you definitely are changing your counters, I think you can get away with the one on the right, but I still prefer the one on the left.

Oh, could you do a picture with the two foam cores leaning up against the base cabinets, so we can see them against the tile? 

One thing I want to add: when I painted my cabinets, I found that my original choice came off MUCH lighter once it was on a large swath of cabinet. Idk if that was an exception but that was my experience. I ended up a shade darker once I did a section of the room (I went from BM Aegean teal to Caribbean teal.)

Ok, just painted more boards - American Anthem (a PPG color) and Blustery Sky, and put a second coat on the Montpelier. Will do a line up when everything is dry. 

I do think the ligher one looks lighter once it is on a bigger piece of real estate...so now leaning darker maybe. 

I think I would rank them 3, 4, 1, 2. Second from left is the only one that looks like an unacceptable clash with floor to me, but the two on the right look better with it than the one on the left, IMO. The grout does help tie in the darker one. The first one on the left I think you could get away with if you went with white counters.

• Like 1

I like Montpelier because it's a bit more grayed which gives it a softer look. It's going to feel more cottagey, especially as you add in white stuff and greenery. Blustery Sky totally works too.  Debonair could work with white countertops and lot of white elsewhere to push it into the middle tone category, but right now it looks out of place as a color too light against the floor and countertops. It looks better against the floor, which is why I think a countertop switch to white could make it work.

• Like 1

I'm definitely saying Blustery Sky and Montpelier are top runners - just gotta figure which one. Will take photos tomorrow with more natural light, and am going to see how each looks with some of my white and blue bowls and such. 

• Like 1

I saw this palette today and thought of you.   https://snapyourcolors.com/chip/cglCMo?ow=1

I'm having trouble choosing from your samples because they look like they have a little too much gray in the blues and getting a gray to go with the creamy colors on your floor and counters is really hard.  Of course, it's also really hard to know what you're seeing on a computer monitor, so you're the only one with eyes on the true colors.  

Maybe if you had a paint chip that matched your floor and counter it would be easier to hold them up to paint chips in the store and narrow down what blue really sings with the colors in the room.  

• Like 1

Tell the truth, Katie... At this point, you have spent more money on all of those sample jars than you will for the couple gallons of paint you'll need for all of the cabinets. 😉 

I think you may be overwhelming yourself with too many options. 🙂 

Edited by Catwoman
There is always at least one typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Tell the truth, Katie... At this point, you have spent more money on all of those sample jars than you will for the couple gallons of paint you'll need for all of the cabinets. 😉 

I think you may be overwhelming yourself with too many options. 🙂 

I plead the fifth!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I saw this palette today and thought of you.   https://snapyourcolors.com/chip/cglCMo?ow=1

I'm having trouble choosing from your samples because they look like they have a little too much gray in the blues and getting a gray to go with the creamy colors on your floor and counters is really hard.  Of course, it's also really hard to know what you're seeing on a computer monitor, so you're the only one with eyes on the true colors.  

Maybe if you had a paint chip that matched your floor and counter it would be easier to hold them up to paint chips in the store and narrow down what blue really sings with the colors in the room.  

It's hard, because I prefer the grey blue, but yeah, something else might go better. Suggestions welcome!

22 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Oooh, I'm saving this for my future house. All my colors!

I like Montpelier but I think you should get 4-6 chips of whites you like and hold them up to the two blues left.  I bet 1-2 of them will make your heart sing and then with sample pots one will be perfect with the light in your room.

• Like 1

Take 4 cabinet doors off of lower cabinets. Prep the inside of the doors for paint and paint them you favorites from your choices. Having the paint on actual wood, will give you a much more authentic feeling of what it will look like. 

I would start with your favorite and if you find one you love, then stop there!

By only doing the inside, if you get partway into the process and panic, you can leave the inside blue or strip the paint and just restain them. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ktgrok said:

It's hard, because I prefer the grey blue, but yeah, something else might go better. Suggestions welcome!

Look at my pics again of my kitchen.  More of that color is what I had in mind due to your floors being in the brown family......I stopped commenting because you were leaning toward the greys....

sorry no other updates - been working on painting a set of Kallax cube shelves for DS9. Practicing my technique, and realizing a paint with a faster cure time is going to perhaps be needed - paint had been dry to the touch for hours but when a cat stood on a shelf it left paw prints. 

• Sad 1

Thinks... there's no way they're still discussing the cabinets. That thread must have derailed and gone somewhere else.

Clicks on thread. Nope. Page four seems to all be about the cabinets.

Nice.

I vote Blustery Sky. I think the gray tones are going to seem a little dated soonish and it's less gray.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

@Catwoman I may need to buy another sample....I am sort of obsessed with Magnolia Local Greenhouse now. Spotted it while walking through ace. Not sure DH will go for it, since green....but might have to at least try it on a foam board. I mean, I'll use the back of one of the other boards, so that saves money......(I had an extra, but the cat puked on it)

https://magnolia.com/shop/product/4676055236659/local-greenhouse-trim-door-cabinetry-paint/

IMG_6753.jpg

• Like 4

Happy Birthday!

I check in periodically to see the after-picture. Or at least see the winning decision. No pressure though.

I like that Magnolia color in general but I'm bad at paint colors and can't picture what it looks like on cabinets at all. Good luck!

Happy Birthday! I like it! I am slowly becoming more of a green person, though I have always liked greens in my bedroom because it is so restful and peaceful. I think it goes better with the counters and (probably) the floors than the blues. While I love blues, I tend to love them more in clothing and perhaps some deeper blues in rugs or wall decor. 

ETA: Our bedroom is painted the lightest shade in a sage line (you probably wouldn't even notice it has a green tint but for the sage in the bedcover), and has white trim and dark furniture. It feels so peaceful! 

Edited by Jaybee

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

It's been a whole 8 minutes since I posted the new color - what are y'all waiting for?!?! It's my birthday, good day to get DH to give in and let me choose green ...but I need Hive help. 

Happy birthday! I almost posted last night to ask why it had been two days with no updates 😉. That’s a very pretty green. I’d need to see bigger and to see near counters. I think with the current counters and wall color, it would be a lot of yellowy and green all together so would want to see some more contrast with it. 

Happy Birthday 🎂!!

I liked Blustery Sky best, but I’m loving the green you’ve picked now.

And, “we” (DH) are in the process of painting our cabinets as we speak…so happy to be getting rid of the orange oak and finally getting my white kitchen!

B87367F1-D373-4AA1-B65E-10C3C803C3E3.jpeg

Edited by Familia
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Familia said:

Happy Birthday 🎂!!

I liked Blustery Sky best, but I’m loving the green you’ve picked now.

And, “we” (DH) are in the process of painting our cabinets as we speak…so happy to be getting rid of the orange oak and finally getting my white kitchen!

B87367F1-D373-4AA1-B65E-10C3C803C3E3.jpeg

Will you be doing your lowers as well? They are looking great!

• Thanks 1

I found some pictures of kitchens done in similar greens, which might be helpful to look through. One of them came up when I search for that color name, but I can’t find any verification that it actually is the same green. I find that the light greens have a lot more of a daring look to them than the blues, so depends what you’re going for. 

This is the one that came up as maybe a match to your color. Notice all the white though. 
image.thumb.jpeg.315f21cd7bfdd33b5284dfdfced32b29.jpeg

the others: https://www.lushome.com/captivating-light-green-kitchen-colors-55-modern-kitchen-designs/229260

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, KSera said:

Will you be doing your lowers as well? They are looking great!

Thanks!

Yes, but the goal is the top section by Easter. There’s only a few work days left d/t work schedules, so I hope they get there!

Speaking of Easter, that green kitchen photo you posted looks adorable & has such a cheerful, spring feel to it.

Edited by Familia

When I got the sample pot of the new color, the guy at the paint desk at Ace (some older man I've not dealt with before) said they couldn't tint the benjamin moore sample pots with the magnolia homes color. He SEEMED to be saying they could only do magnolia homes paints in those colors, but that seems off to me - I know that they normally can match anything - or will at least try. Not sure if this is a copyright issue for magnolia homes/kilz or what? 

They do make their own cabinet and trim paint, it's an acrylic not an alkyd though, so not going to be as hard/durable. That said, we only need it for a few years, so...

I'll have to ask the normal girl that is at the paint desk to find out for sure!

32 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

When I got the sample pot of the new color, the guy at the paint desk at Ace (some older man I've not dealt with before) said they couldn't tint the benjamin moore sample pots with the magnolia homes color. He SEEMED to be saying they could only do magnolia homes paints in those colors, but that seems off to me - I know that they normally can match anything - or will at least try. Not sure if this is a copyright issue for magnolia homes/kilz or what? 

They do make their own cabinet and trim paint, it's an acrylic not an alkyd though, so not going to be as hard/durable. That said, we only need it for a few years, so...

I'll have to ask the normal girl that is at the paint desk to find out for sure!

The base may be different, so they don't have a premade formula match

They can probably do a close match from a paint sample ie You buy a sample, and put the paint on something, then bring it back and the computer analyzes it, giving a very close approximation.  It may not be exactly what you want,  close enough, but not identical.

Edited by Tap