Menu

What's on the menu this week?

alysee

Lentil Soup, saffron rice, and large salads

Meatless chilli and salads

Homemade meatless pasta salad (GF), and fruit

Tuna melts and roast Brussels sprouts

Roast chicken thighs, green beans, steamed broccoli, and savory polenta

Stuffed red bell peppers (rice, ricotta, saute mushrooms, leeks - from my batch of autumn dehydrated leeks - garlic, celery, and parmesan for flavor) with vegetable stew

Bean burritos with fajita vegetables and a small amount of taco seasoned ground beef for the college boy whose campus food is not great and will be home Saturday ravenously hungry

My mother in law is making a roast beef with all the trimmings next Sunday and I do not have to cook which is great. College boy will probably attack that roast like a hungry lioness on a gazelle. The cafeteria food has been bizarrely unappetizing as of late.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, perky said:

I must preface this by saying that we deal with milk, egg, and nut allergies here, so I am alternately intrigued and resigned by y'all's meals.

Slow Cooker White Beans and Sausage

Turkey burgers and onion rings

Chicken strips and waffle fries

And that's all I've figured out.  

I feel you. I eat gluten free and one kid has an eating disorder. When she eats, it’s strictly vegetarian. It isn’t easy. 

• Like 2

These sound yummy!! So far, all I have is what I am cooking for the freezer. I know I'll be picking up take out Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. Dh is off those days, and he doesn't want me to have to cook when he is off. This school year has been kind of crazy stressful. I'm working most weekends.

Ham and Noodles Casserole

Pinwheel Pizza Loaf

Swiss Cheese Lasagna

Might also fix later in the week:

Cajun Garlic Pork

Fried Chicken Wings

• Like 1

We're GF, and vegetarian except Mondays.

Tonight: chickpea salad wraps (I know we have almond flour tortillas in the freezer)

Monday: brown rice pasta and meat sauce

Tuesday: black bean burritos or salad (tomatoes, lettuce, corn, etc.)

Wednesday: red lentil soup over roasted red potatoes

Thursday: veggie fried rice

Friday: veggie frittata, fruit (possibly canned)

Saturday: chickpeas, potatoes, applesauce

Edited by 73349
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, perky said:

I must preface this by saying that we deal with milk, egg, and nut allergies here, so I am alternately intrigued and resigned by y'all's meals.

I am gluten-free and we eat vegetarian so things are tricky around here too.

• Like 2

Our meal plans are all off.  DS12yo has been down with Covid since Friday.  He has an appetite but food "tastes weird" to him.  So.

Tonight: potato soup (with sandwiches for the rest of us)

Tomorrow: pasta carbonara made with smoked bacon (along with salad for the rest of us)

Tuesday: coq au vin, (with leftovers of pasta or soup for the sick one maybe)

Wednesday: chili & baked potatoes

Thursday: Oh, gosh, I don't know.  Usually we do Frito boats the day after chili, but that's going to be dependent on if this runs through the rest of us or if the quarantine and vaccines work for the rest of us.  DS can still taste salt, sweet, tangy, so I'm really trying to play with flavor and and texture.  Potatoes are welcome, pasta is okay crunchy things are good, chicken is not.  I don't know about beef, so it'll be mostly a bean chili, I think. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Our meal plans are all off.  DS12yo has been down with Covid since Friday.  He has an appetite but food "tastes weird" to him.  So.

Tonight: potato soup (with sandwiches for the rest of us)

Tomorrow: pasta carbonara made with smoked bacon (along with salad for the rest of us)

Tuesday: coq au vin, (with leftovers of pasta or soup for the sick one maybe)

Wednesday: chili & baked potatoes

Thursday: Oh, gosh, I don't know.  Usually we do Frito boats the day after chili, but that's going to be dependent on if this runs through the rest of us or if the quarantine and vaccines work for the rest of us.  DS can still taste salt, sweet, tangy, so I'm really trying to play with flavor and and texture.  Potatoes are welcome, pasta is okay crunchy things are good, chicken is not.  I don't know about beef, so it'll be mostly a bean chili, I think. 

Sorry to hear about your ds! I hope no one else gets it.

Here’s what I have on the agenda, in no particular order.

All are vegan and whole food plant based.

Bang bang veggie pasta

Zuppa toscana

Chipotle tofu chilaquiles 

Veggie sushi

Samosa rolls w/ homemade sweet and sour sauce

BBQ lentil sloppy joes with oven fries and slaw 

Spring rolls with spicy peanut dipping sauce

• Like 2

I have not planned my menu yet and that will probably bite me in the butt.

I’m thinking about a potato soup now.  Probably a night of dinner pancakes. Salmon cakes or a shrimp stir fry. We’ll likely have a taco night.  If I can find fresh chicken breast, a chicken rollatini. If not, chicken parm or lemon chicken from my freezer.

• Like 1

Lunches and dinners through the end of the month:

today: potato and turnip gratin, beef smoked sausage, sliced tomato;   Italian chicken, garlic breadsticks from scratch, sliced cucumbers (it's what's left in my house)

Monday: chicken BLT on a bagel;  beef patties, chocolate swirl buns from scratch (we're celebrating Sticky Bun Day), spinach

Tuesday: leftovers;  baked beef tacos

Wednesday: italian subs, cookie;   beef burritos (rice, refried beans, chopped lettuce, tomato, shredded jack, taco sauce, etc.)

Thursday: pumpkin muffins, high protein low carb waffles with peanut butter and honey;  canned soup (we need to rotate our stock as we haven't been sick in a couple years), whole wheat biscuits

Friday: beef jerky, grapes, almonds, cucumber sticks, chips, cookie (my husband has to go in to the office, so I'm packing his lunch);  burgers, tater tots

Saturday: chicken lo mein with kohlrabi, leeks, and bok choy;  chicken chimichangas with a cheese sauce, rice, refried beans, and a lettuce and tomato salad

(next) Sunday: cranberry muffins, canadian bacon or eggs, fruit;  apricot chicken, whole wheat muffins, zucchini

Monday the 28th: tomato soup, grilled ham and/or cheese sandwiches, black olives;  loaded mashed potatoes, deviled eggs

Tuesday the 1st: leftovers;  lazy lasagna, brownies

ETA: Today's lunch was an instant favorite. The turnips added just enough sweetness to the gratin, and the tomatoes were fantastic dipped into the leftover sauce. We'll probably do this three times every winter (too high in fat to have more often).

Edited by rutheart
fixed a couple grammar issues
  • Like 3

Yesterday I tried new recipe from the New York Times - Cheesy White Bean Tomato Bake and really liked it. I used some of the variations mentioned in the reviews, including adding onion and chopped fresh spinach. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019681-cheesy-white-bean-tomato-bake 

Today I'm making dampfnudele (steamed dumplings) to go with my variation of Wolfgang's Puck's Hungarian Goulash (substitute stew meat, beef broth for chicken, V-8 for tomato paste, reduce spicy paprika, dry spices if I don't have fresh).  Goulash is in the freezer.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/wolfgangs-beef-goulash-recipe-1939163

Homemade chicken soup from the freezer.

Spinach salad with mandarin oranges and pork tenderloin

I have some sweet potatoes to use up and will probably make this roasted sweet potato with onions and rosemary recipe. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-sweet-potatoes-and-onions-with-rosemary-and-parmesan

Something with ground turkey

• Like 1

Sunday- steaks, mashed turnips*, salads with kale*

Monday- locally made sausages, roasted root veggies*, Italian green beans

Tuesday- beef tacos with all the toppings

Wednesday- chicken pot pie with peas, corn, carrots* and an attempt at a homemade crust

Thursday- fritatta with sausage and veggies and eggs*

Friday-vegetable soup with turkey broth* 

No Saturday plans yet.

*homegrown, farm fresh, or home canned

2 hours ago, math teacher said:

These sound yummy!! So far, all I have is what I am cooking for the freezer. I know I'll be picking up take out Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. Dh is off those days, and he doesn't want me to have to cook when he is off. This school year has been kind of crazy stressful. I'm working most weekends.

Ham and Noodles Casserole

Pinwheel Pizza Loaf

Swiss Cheese Lasagna

Might also fix later in the week:

Cajun Garlic Pork

Fried Chicken Wings

I hear you. I've been so tired after school I can hardly stay awake during evenings. If I don't cook for meals on weekends, it rarely gets done. 

• Like 1

I go through fits and spurts of planning well so sometimes my list is like "um, I have some chicken somewhere" and sometimes it's like @rutheart 🙂 Right now we are doing a freezer and pantry clean out. I have 2 each boxed mac, brownie mix, au gratin potato, and pasta salad I need to use soon. After using up more garden veggies this week, I'll have to rotate those items in.

• Like 1

Pot roast, potatoes, carrots

Chicken and dumplings (w/ biscuits for those who don't like dumplings)

Tacos

Poppyseed chicken, brown rice, veggie of some sort

Slow cooker chili, cornbread

I need to spend this afternoon planning out the rest, but I don't want to.  DD is home visiting so I am using that as an excuse to procrastinate, even though she is sleeping in and I am just playing around on my computer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pippen said:

Yesterday I tried new recipe from the New York Times - Cheesy White Bean Tomato Bake and really liked it. I used some of the variations mentioned in the reviews, including adding onion and chopped fresh spinach. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019681-cheesy-white-bean-tomato-bake 

Today I'm making dampfnudele (steamed dumplings) to go with my variation of Wolfgang's Puck's Hungarian Goulash (substitute stew meat, beef broth for chicken, V-8 for tomato paste, reduce spicy paprika, dry spices if I don't have fresh).  Goulash is in the freezer.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/wolfgangs-beef-goulash-recipe-1939163

Homemade chicken soup from the freezer.

Spinach salad with mandarin oranges and pork tenderloin

I have some sweet potatoes to use up and will probably make this roasted sweet potato with onions and rosemary recipe. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-sweet-potatoes-and-onions-with-rosemary-and-parmesan

Something with ground turkey

I need to try that cheesy white bean bake!

• Like 1

We will be mixing and matching from these dishes:

Spinach Tortellini Salad

Hawawshi (Egyptian meal of spiced meat baked in fresh homemade pita bread)

Rosemary Garlic White Bean Dip and the rest of the pita bread

Sweet Potato Stew

Chicken Taco Stew

Baked Brown Rice

Garlic Parmesan White Beans

Tomato cucumber salad

Fruit

Recipes for most of these dishes are at www.themediterraneandish.com.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, perky said:

What are waffle fries?  How do you make them? It sounds like something my family would love.

This week we will have

lasagna with greens beans and Texas toast

burgers

pizza

and who knows what else.  

I don’t plan the whole week, I cook on what is ready in the garden and what meat I pull out of the freezer each day.

today we are trying something new, tortilla pockets.

I am going to Melbourne tomorrow for twin 1 dr appointment. So I will be having take away Thai. A special treat that I only have when going to Melbourne for hospital appointments

we have curry and spaghetti bolognaise with lots of veggie added  once a week 

At the end of the week we will have take away pizza, we have it once a year for our wedding anniversary 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don’t plan the whole week, I cook on what is ready in the garden and what meat I pull out of the freezer each day.

today we are trying something new, tortilla pockets.

I am going to Melbourne tomorrow for twin 1 dr appointment. So I will be having take away Thai. A special treat that I only have when going to Melbourne for hospital appointments

we have curry and spaghetti bolognaise with lots of veggie added  once a week 

At the end of the week we will have take away pizza, we have it once a year for our wedding anniversary 

What are tortilla pockets? 

Dh loves Thai! He makes Thai eggplant curry. It is not my thing but he always makes hot and sour mushroom soup and rice to go with it, so I happily have soup.

• Like 1

We have one kid who just had oral surgery, so everything he eats will be soft. He’s the one with the most allergies, so it’s tricky this week!

My plan so far is potato soup, beefy tomato soup, GF mac and non-dairy “cheese,” with a bottomless bowls of mashed potatoes and refried beans in the fridge, applesauce, non dairy pudding and ice cream and smoothie. I’m considering some sort of soft chick pea dish later in the week so need to find ideas for that.

For those of us who can actually chew 😊, adding:

Roasted Brussels sprouts with Chicken thighs with carmelized onion and bacon dressing

Honey paprika glazed steak and onions with maple roasted veggies

The above-mentioned Beefy Tomato Soup

Chicken Caesar salad (something else for the kid who is allergic to the salad portion)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eos said:

I love reading these threads, even though I rarely plan my week's meals.

Unless something is going to go bad, I usually just make a list of meal options for the week, and each night we make whatever sounds appealing and appropriate to the energy level of the cook. I tape the list inside the top cabinet door that’s beside the stove, and cross things off as we make them. It’s not much of a planning system but it works.

• Like 1

Chicken tacos with leftover rotisserie chicken tonight. 

Tomorrow using up some old beef from the freezer, making https://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/slow-cooked-spicy-asian-beef I think I have everything but the Thai chilies so I will add a different heat to it. 

Still working on the rest of the week. I happen to have off today, remote work day tomorrow and won't be home Wednesday so it has been slow planning.