Menu

Fern Gully and homeschool?

Tanaqui

Fern Gully  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Have any of your kids seen Fern Gully?

• Yes, but they were old enough to see it when it first came out
    • Yes, and they weren't old enough to see it when it first came out
    • No

My younger kid swears she has a perfect question to determine if somebody her age (high school) was homeschooled. That question is not "were you homeschooled?" but "have you seen Fern Gully?"

She says everybody she knows who has seen that movie was homeschooled for at least some of their pre-high school education.

The really shocking thing about all this is that until she told us this fact, I had no idea she'd ever seen Fern Gully at all! I certainly never watched it with her, encouraged her to watch it, or even mentioned it to her.

1 minute ago, fraidycat said:

Too young. It came out in 92.

I know it’s an older movie, but I don’t remember anyone talking about it in homeschool circles when my ds was being homeschooled, so I thought maybe it had some kind of newfound popularity or something among younger homeschoolers.

And I just said some variation of “homeschool” way too many times in that last sentence. 

• Like 1

I have no idea if they have seen it or not.  I would tend toward no, but maybe.  My DD watches a lot of movies, especially animated.  She wanted to be an animator for a long time and as part of her current degree is studying a lot of media studies including watching a lot of different movies and television shows.  I doubt my boys have seen it.

I don't think any of us have seen it, but the older ones did go to the place it was filmed when we lived in Oklahoma. I can't remember if it was Oklahoma or Arkansas, but I remember the long drive and that it was in the Spring because a bunch of local kids showed up to take prom pictures right when we were leaving.

43 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't think any of us have seen it, but the older ones did go to the place it was filmed when we lived in Oklahoma. I can't remember if it was Oklahoma or Arkansas, but I remember the long drive and that it was in the Spring because a bunch of local kids showed up to take prom pictures right when we were leaving.

Like…animation studios? I’m sure I’m being dense, lol, but was there something special related to the movie there?

• Like 1

Dd23 and ds27 have seen it. I bought it for dd23 when it she was little so that is why my son has seen it. He would have not been interested otherwise. 

A lot of kids who came to my house have seen it with no regard to homeschool status. It was one of dd’s favorites for a long time.  I also remember talking to several coworkers about the movie once and almost all had seen it too. (They weren’t homeschooled)

I am in the PNW, so maybe it was more popular here? We are fairly environmentally conscious here as a region, do maybe more parents bought it for their kids??

53 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

What's Fern Gully? 😂 So uhm, I homeschooled all my kids, youngest is college senior. I have no idea about this movie!

It's a movie about fairies who live in a forest that is being cut down by big business. One of the workers is this young adult man who isn't really think about what he's helping to do. A fairy tried to give him fairy sight but ended up shrinking him down to fairy size. He saw how the animals and fairies needed the forest to exist. The fairies had a wise woman, like Gaia I think but without the religious aspect. The villain was an entity that presented as a glob of oil who wanted to move the great big machines and chew up all the trees. It had some musical numbers in it. We thought the music was good. Robin Williams voiced a bat who escaped from a laboratory. He had a wire antenna coming out of his head and he did goofy things like flying erratically and acting silly, i.e. the experiments done on him affected him mentally. Overall it was a good movie but I doubt my kids actually picked up on any great message.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Like…animation studios? I’m sure I’m being dense, lol, but was there something special related to the movie there?

Oh no I think there was a live version years (decades?) before the animated one. 

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arkansas/fern-gully-scenic-area-bushwhack/photos

Ha!  I got the feen gully one above and the one from Where the Red Fern Grows below confused.  I should really look through some photo albums and figure it out.  My mistake! 

https://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/naturalfalls.html

• Like 1

That's hilarious. My kids never saw it. It came out when I was too old to appreciate it - I was well into high school and French movies and indie films at the college movie place were more my thing by that age. So I didn't really feel a nostalgia impetus to push them to watch it. I don't even know that they've heard of it.