Menu

I’m freaking out… covid

Katy

My youngest child is high risk and too young to be vaccinated. 

DH, I, and all our kids aren’t feeling well. Today one kid got a 103.5 degree fever, tiredness, and sniffles. And just complained that supper doesn’t taste “right” or “like anything.” Rapid tests are negative. The fever did end with some Motrin, but now same child is coughing. We’ve literally been nowhere except grocery pickup. We haven’t even played in the yard since Saturday because it’s been so cold. 

I could use prayers. I’m scared. 

• Sad 47

I'm so sorry! Is your youngest not feeling well either? Can they be separated from sick kids? That's really strange and a bit scary if no one in the family has gone anywhere except grocery pickup--is that curbside or do you have to go in? I hope your little one does just fine and everyone else feels better soon. I understand being stressed, and I definitely would be as well, but also know that everyone is likely to feel all better soon. 🙏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh no, Katy!!! I would be so scared, too!!!

Praying for your whole family! 

Is anyone working outside the house? Have you seen any neighbors or extended family members? If you can think of anyone that any of you came into contact with, you could contact that person and see if they have been ill. Do you remember if the curbside pickup person was wearing a mask -- and do you have a car with a regular trunk or did the person have to load the back of an SUV?

I'm so sorry! I know you are always very careful.  😞 I wish you could figure out where you picked up whatever you have (and I hate to say it, but it does sound like Covid to me. I would have thought the flu was a possibility, but the loss of taste doesn't sound like flu to me. Hopefully, someone else knows better than I do, though!)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm so sorry! Is your youngest not feeling well either? Can they be separated from sick kids? That's really strange and a bit scary if no one in the family has gone anywhere except grocery pickup--is that curbside or do you have to go in? I hope your little one does just fine and everyone else feels better soon. I understand being stressed, and I definitely would be as well, but also know that everyone is likely to feel all better soon. 🙏

Youngest isn’t feeling well either, though no fever. 

27 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Oh no, Katy!!! I would be so scared, too!!!

Praying for your whole family! 

Is anyone working outside the house? Have you seen any neighbors or extended family members? If you can think of anyone that any of you came into contact with, you could contact that person and see if they have been ill. Do you remember if the curbside pickup person was wearing a mask -- and do you have a car with a regular trunk or did the person have to load the back of an SUV?

I'm so sorry! I know you are always very careful.  😞 I wish you could figure out where you picked up whatever you have (and I hate to say it, but it does sound like Covid to me. I would have thought the flu was a possibility, but the loss of taste doesn't sound like flu to me. Hopefully, someone else knows better than I do, though!)

No contact with anyone, though I suppose we may have walked outside shortly after a delivery person dropped something off. Otherwise just grocery pickup, they’re always masked but idk how well. It’s been super cold so the masks are warm. SUV.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Can you access monoclonal antibodies for your little one? 

Idk, we’ll do another round of rapid tests in the morning. If someone is positive I’ll call the cardiologist office immediately. I did see the Children’s hospital has plenty of beds available if need be.

And it’s possible she has some genetic immunity. DH & I both have sisters who have had known exposures repeatedly because of their healthcare jobs and neither have tested positive even before vaccines were out. They both felt ill for less than a day and recovered without ever testing positive at least twice. So it’s possible I’m worried about the wrong child & the one with the fever (adopted) is higher risk than we think. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

No contact with anyone, though I suppose we may have walked outside shortly after a delivery person dropped something off. Otherwise just grocery pickup, they’re always masked but idk how well. It’s been super cold so the masks are warm. SUV.

Wow. That’s enough to make me consider going back to wiping down groceries, which has been the thing I’m most glad to no longer be doing during this pandemic. But fomite transmission honestly seems more likely than getting it from a masked person outside your car putting bags in your trunk. Yikes. Are you in a house or a shared building of some kind?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Katy said:
12 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Idk, we’ll do another round of rapid tests in the morning.

You might consider swabbing throats as well. It’s not aligned with official instructions, but there are so many people getting their initial positives from the throat swab rather than the nasal that if I had enough tests, I would do so. There are directions online.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Katy said:

Idk, we’ll do another round of rapid tests in the morning. If someone is positive I’ll call the cardiologist office immediately. I did see the Children’s hospital has plenty of beds available if need be.

And it’s possible she has some genetic immunity. DH & I both have sisters who have had known exposures repeatedly because of their healthcare jobs and neither have tested positive even before vaccines were out. They both felt ill for less than a day and recovered without ever testing positive at least twice. So it’s possible I’m worried about the wrong child & the one with the fever (adopted) is higher risk than we think. 

I hope so.  I've read some stories about kids who seem like they'd be high risk who have had almost no symptoms, and of course we know the opposite too.  

Is your feverish child vaccinated or are they also too young?  I'm still praying for all of you.  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

Can you get a PCR test to rule it out? Mask everyone up and try to keep distance between the symptomatic and non. Hugs. 

I’m under the impression with omicron that there’s not much point in going for a pcr test unless you can’t find a rapid test or a rapid test is positive? Primarily because when testing is over 30% positive you’re very likely to get Omicron going for the test. 

We have home mail-in PCR tests that we’ll use if we get anyone positive on a rapid test. And while it’s been years I do have some nursing experience so I’m confident in my ability to do a rapid test properly. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Katy said:

Idk, we’ll do another round of rapid tests in the morning. If someone is positive I’ll call the cardiologist office immediately.

You might want to wait before using up your rapid tests. My husband’s employer recommends PCR and would reimburse for the costs.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/how-reliable-are-covid-19-rapid-tests-for-detecting-omicron-11641747601
“The good news: Rapid antigen tests can definitely detect Omicron. The bad news: Some research indicates that rapid tests may be less sensitive to Omicron than they are to other variants.

That means the tests might be yielding more false negatives, especially in the early days of infection. And preliminary data from one small study suggests that people could be contagious before they get a positive result on a rapid test.

You might not be able to trust a negative rapid-test result in the early days of an infection. It might be necessary to test repeatedly over a few days to get an accurate result. If you are testing before an indoor gathering, you are still taking a risk.

….

One recent preprint, which hasn’t been peer-reviewed, examined the performance of antigen tests with virus samples cultured from Omicron-infected people and from those with other variants. The study found the tests were less sensitive at detecting Omicron. In a separate study in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, Australian researchers found 10 antigen tests performed as well with Omicron as with Delta.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KSera said:

Wow. That’s enough to make me consider going back to wiping down groceries, which has been the thing I’m most glad to no longer be doing during this pandemic. But fomite transmission honestly seems more likely than getting it from a masked person outside your car putting bags in your trunk. Yikes. Are you in a house or a shared building of some kind?

House. I did speak to a neighbor briefly on Saturday but from about 15 feet away and there was a wind. Also his wife is higher risk than DD so they’re one of the few families in the neighborhood we don’t actively avoid. 

DH just remembered he took my SUV for an oil change Saturday morning. Valvoline, so drive through, but he did have to open the window for a minute and hand them a credit card. He aired it out afterwards, but idk… maybe it is on surfaces again. He was wearing an n95 mask and it fits. Or maybe it got in his eyes & he gave it to the rest of us. Sigh. 

• Sad 5

37 minutes ago, Katy said:

Youngest isn’t feeling well either, though no fever. 

That is very scary! I assume you're wearing masks during the grocery pickup, too? 

I'm sorry to hound you about this -- I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out how you caught anything, considering how careful you are! 

I was thinking exactly the same thing that Ksera posted:

29 minutes ago, KSera said:

I have been worried about fomite transmission all along, but so many "experts" have kept telling us that it isn't really happening, that I have been feeling a little foolish because I still wipe down (or quarantine) everything that comes into our house. I think @ktgrok might still be spraying everything down as well, but I don't know anyone else who does.

My theory all along is that fomite transmission has to be possible, because we know that we can catch other viruses that way, so why not Covid? If I can get the flu from touching a contaminated door handle or bottle of milk and then touching my mouth (or wiping my nose or eyes or whatever,) it stands to reason that I could also catch Covid from doing something similar. I know airborne transmission is the most common way to catch Covid, but I never felt comfortable ruling out other possibilities. People have poked a lot of fun at me for my extreme caution, though!

Edited by Catwoman
Autocorrect thinks I mean FAMINE not FOMITE, but I don't!
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

House. I did speak to a neighbor briefly on Saturday but from about 15 feet away and there was a wind. Also his wife is higher risk than DD so they’re one of the few families in the neighborhood we don’t actively avoid. 

DH just remembered he took my SUV for an oil change Saturday morning. Valvoline, so drive through, but he did have to open the window for a minute and hand them a credit card. He aired it out afterwards, but idk… maybe it is on surfaces again. He was wearing an n95 mask and it fits. Or maybe it got in his eyes & he gave it to the rest of us. Sigh. 

It could be something that's more commonly spread by fomite.  Flu or just a nasty cold virus.  Is your feverish one a kid one that gets fevers regularly?  My kids are totally different from each other in their fever patterns. 

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

That is very scary! I assume you're wearing masks during the grocery pickup, too? 

I'm sorry to hound you about this -- I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out how you caught anything, considering how careful you are! 

I have been worried about fomite transmission all along, but so many "experts" have kept telling us that it isn't really happening, that I have been feeling a little foolish because I still wipe down (or quarantine) everything that comes into our house. I think @ktgrok might still be spraying everything down as well, but I don't know anyone else who does.

My theory all along is that famine transmission has to be possible, because we know that we can catch other viruses that way, so why not Covid? If I can get the flu from touching a contaminated door handle or bottle of milk and then touching my mouth (or wiping my nose or eyes or whatever,) it stands to reason that I could also catch Covid from doing something similar. I know airborne transmission is the most common way to catch Covid, but I never felt comfortable ruling out other possibilities. People have poked a lot of fun at me for my extreme caution, though!

Yes, masked during pickup but idk how well the kids are masked. Masks are definitely off before we get home. 

I have stopped sanitizing things, so that could be the way.  I used to lysol wipe packages and bleach produce, and I don’t do that anymore. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

Does your dh remember whether or not he sanitized the credit card and his hands after the other guy handled it?

Ugh! It's so terrifying to think that one little slip might have been enough for someone to get infected. 😞  I mean, none of us is 100% perfect! 

In most cases, it's different, because someone is working outside the house, or the family "never goes anywhere"... but then you find out they "never go anywhere.... except for church and to their mom's house for extended family dinners every Sunday."  That's not you guys!

I hope whatever you caught goes away quickly!!! Sending you lots and lots of prayers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

It could be something that's more commonly spread by fomite.  Flu or just a nasty cold virus.  Is your feverish one a kid one that gets fevers regularly?  My kids are totally different from each other in their fever patterns. 

No, the last time that kid had a fever was 101.something when we had type A influenza probably 4 years ago. Even when we’ve had various viruses no fevers.  

1 minute ago, Katy said:

Yes, masked during pickup but idk how well the kids are masked. Masks are definitely off before we get home. 

I have stopped sanitizing things, so that could be the way.  I used to lysol wipe packages and bleach produce, and I don’t do that anymore. 

Well, definitely don't blame yourself for not sanitizing everything any more -- every news report I have heard for over a year has stressed that it's unnecessary. I have been doing it anyway, but I only have my dh and my ds21 at home, so I have a lot more time than you do to do things like that.

And even if the kids aren't perfectly masked during pickups, that's such a tiny bit of exposure! Even if the store employee's mask isn't great, we're only talking about them putting things in your car for a minute or two at the most.

This is a puzzle, for sure! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

That's an excellent point!

It might be worth trying to get a flu test. At least you can get Tamiflu or Xofluza (probably spelled that wrong) if it's the flu!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Does your dh remember whether or not he sanitized the credit card and his hands after the other guy handled it?

Ugh! It's so terrifying to think that one little slip might have been enough for someone to get infected. 😞  I mean, none of us is 100% perfect! 

In most cases, it's different, because someone is working outside the house, or the family "never goes anywhere"... but then you find out they "never go anywhere.... except for church and to their mom's house for extended family dinners every Sunday."  That's not you guys!

I hope whatever you caught goes away quickly!!! Sending you lots and lots of prayers!

He says he doesn’t remember specifically but his process is to put the card in his wallet and then sanitize, he doesn’t wipe down the card. He always considers his wallet dirty (and it usually stays in the car in the garage). I’ve never seen him forget, he used to do safety engineering and is more careful about things like this than anyone I know. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’m under the impression with omicron that there’s not much point in going for a pcr test unless you can’t find a rapid test or a rapid test is positive? Primarily because when testing is over 30% positive you’re very likely to get Omicron going for the test. 

We have home mail-in PCR tests that we’ll use if we get anyone positive on a rapid test. And while it’s been years I do have some nursing experience so I’m confident in my ability to do a rapid test properly. 

Rapid tests aren’t picking up a lot of Omicron. I’d definitely get a PCR test. 

• Thanks 1

@Katy, the more I think about it, the more I am wondering if it might be the flu. Do you have a 24-hour urgent care where you or your dh could go get swabbed for both flu and Covid? I’m thinking it would be better for one of the adults to go because you can go at a really weird hour, like 3AM or something, and you can be super-careful (and maybe if you call, they would come outside and do the tests at your car window.) 

I think it would be worth trying to find out (assuming your only option is something other than a busy ER.) Otherwise, would someone from your regular doctor’s office do the tests outside, given that your dd is so high risk?

32 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

@Katy, the more I think about it, the more I am wondering if it might be the flu. Do you have a 24-hour urgent care where you or your dh could go get swabbed for both flu and Covid? I’m thinking it would be better for one of the adults to go because you can go at a really weird hour, like 3AM or something, and you can be super-careful (and maybe if you call, they would come outside and do the tests at your car window.) 

I think it would be worth trying to find out (assuming your only option is something other than a busy ER.) Otherwise, would someone from your regular doctor’s office do the tests outside, given that your dd is so high risk?

No, there's no 24 hour urgent care in at least 120 miles from here, per google.  And since ALL of my current nursing friends are reposting memes about not going to the ER for a covid test, only go if you need actual care, I'm pretty sure the safest option is mail in PCR tests tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Here, you can call the ER and speak with a triage nurse about worrying symptoms.  I wonder if you could do that?

I'm sure you can, but I used to cover ER shifts sometimes in the swine flu pandemic.  I'm aware of the symptoms and since the high fever responded to motrin, there's literally no treatment to give right now. For DD they would say to call the pediatric cardiologist office, and they would say do nothing except watch for the stuff they already told me to watch for, and stay out of the ER unless she crashes because the ER is the surest way to get a high viral load exposure.

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

I have been worried about fomite transmission all along, but so many "experts" have kept telling us that it isn't really happening, that I have been feeling a little foolish because I still wipe down (or quarantine) everything that comes into our house. I think @ktgrok might still be

I've always been bothered by the messaging on fomites. When they're speaking technically, they say they don't think it's a common route of transmission, but then in casual talk, that gets said as "fomites aren't a problem". From a public health standpoint, I can see why they're not focusing on fomites; the vast majority of cases are being spread through the air, and they get more bang for their buck focusing on reducing that. But, for people wanting to do everything they can to avoid a vulnerable family member from catching it, that fomite risk might be the only exposure point their family has. That has been us for most of the pandemic, thus it made sense for us to wipe groceries to prevent that from being our exposure route. Especially with small kids in the house, the chances of someone touching packaging and they their eyes or nose is really not that low. So, we disinfected until everyone but the younger two were fully vaccinated. Cases were low at that point, and it was such a relief not to do that anymore, but then we never started back up again when cases went up. We do wash hands right after putting groceries away, and tonight I didn't let the unvaccinated one help put away groceries (based on this thread). I have to ponder whether we resume for a little while until cases go down again.

47 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I would be really uneasy about an urgent care, even in the middle of the night. I would go if someone needed care, but I wouldn't go for a test unless they could come out to the car (and maybe they could?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

My theory all along is that fomite transmission has to be possible, because we know that we can catch other viruses that way, so why not Covid? If I can get the flu from touching a contaminated door handle or bottle of milk and then touching my mouth (or wiping my nose or eyes or whatever,) it stands to reason that I could also catch Covid from doing something similar. I know airborne transmission is the most common way to catch Covid, but I never felt comfortable ruling out other possibilities. People have poked a lot of fun at me for my extreme caution, though!

I had stopped recently - we ran out of peroxide around the time cases were super low, and all but one kid was vaccinated. I did get peroxid back in the house, and after reading this am back to spraying it all down! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I've been sanitising groceries since the start,  and I still keep all deliveries in the garage for three days.

Who knows if it's helpful at all, but it's my routine now, and it makes me feel better. 

• Like 2

I am sorry, Katy.  You have been so careful! 

3 hours ago, Katy said:

Idk, we’ll do another round of rapid tests in the morning. If someone is positive I’ll call the cardiologist office immediately.

This sounds like an excellent plan.  I know that you are terrified and heaven knows I would be too, but the good thing is that we're two years into this and doctors around the world have now loads of experience treating high-risk children with covid. It is a world of difference from March 2020.

Hugs to you, dear.  Please do keep us posted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I've been sanitising groceries since the start,  and I still keep all deliveries in the garage for three days.

Who knows if it's helpful at all, but it's my routine now, and it makes me feel better. 

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who is still doing these things!

I don’t know if it helps, either, but at least it makes me feel like there is something I can control.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Fever back up again, it’s going to be a long night. I’m going to try and sleep a few hours. 

I hope you can get some rest and that everyone is already starting to feel better tomorrow. 

Nights are the worst. 😞 

I’m praying for you guys.

• Thanks 1