Menu

I am stumped on my 9-year-old Xmas

Mrs Tiggywinkle

She loves Little House on The Prairie and Harry Potter, but hasn’t found other books that she’s really liked.

She loves everything Pokémon, and spends most of her free time creating and drawing new Pokémon and then writing their backstories.  She has a ton of art supplies. 
She loves unique little collectible things like tiny snow globes or flipazoos.  
But again, she has a lot and we downsized dramatically this year.  I don’t have room for extra stuff IYKWIM.  
The board game closet is full.  She doesn’t really like clothes and has plenty anyway.

Any creative ideas? I’m stumped.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle

My Pokémon crazy girls (all 4 of them) love t-shirts (there's a cute pikachu one at target right now that's feminine). They also love Pokémon stuffed animals and Switch games. There are also all sorts of Pokémon art/craft kits like sewing or crocheting you could do. We're making my 6yo a Pokémon themed cornhole set with pokeball bean bags for Christmas. 

Since she likes making stories so much, maybe one of those self-publishing book kits like this

• Like 1

We got our adult Pokémon lover a Pokémon waffle maker—quirky but fun.

Random ten year old favorites here: a flip book making kit that came with a light board and supplies; a “bendable” Sculpey kit for making stop motions. I would tailor these toward Pokémon, or go with some other artsy craftsy Pokémon kits.

Display or “house” for the flipazoos or other collections?

Any chance she likes Lego? Harry Potter Lego—so many possibilities! DD has enjoyed those but we are a Lego family anyway.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Etsy has all kinds of Pokemon-themed items. These terrariums are neat. 

She used to love assembling fairy gardens so these look amazing!! People come up with the most creative things. 
No Legos. I don’t know why. My kids are weird.

I thought about a display case for the flipazoos, but she carries them around in a little drawstring bag and sorts and lines them up fairly frequently. She’s not even my autistic  child, but she’s the one who is always lining up her favorite things.  
I did find a Pokémon book I think she’ll like, it’s one of those find the object in a picture things.

She also really, really loves tacos lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

I was amused to see this book by Patricia Wrede, for ages twelve and up, described as Harry Potter meets Little House in the Prairie in the linked review.

Regards,

Kareni

This is one of my favorite book series, but I don’t know if it’s the best for a 9 yr old. It’s totally clean, so maybe…but it’s more teen and above. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

She used to love assembling fairy gardens so these look amazing!! People come up with the most creative things. 
No Legos. I don’t know why. My kids are weird.

I thought about a display case for the flipazoos, but she carries them around in a little drawstring bag and sorts and lines them up fairly frequently. She’s not even my autistic  child, but she’s the one who is always lining up her favorite things.  
I did find a Pokémon book I think she’ll like, it’s one of those find the object in a picture things.

She also really, really loves tacos lol.

I know someone who really, really loves tacos.  I bought her this.

What about a book kit?  You can make one yourself with a box that you put everything in.  Like, if you wanted to do Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, you could put in the book, a little poetry journal & pen, a pretty bar of soap, some old-timey candies, and a packet of flowers to plant.
You can do it with any book, but give her a bit more interest in it (and all the better if the other things are consumable!)

• Like 1

Is that the Wrede series where she said the Americas were more wild because all the Native Americans had been killed and had not been there "preparing the land" to be settled? Major foot in mouth, and then she doubled down. (And, what, all of Afro-Eurasia had been "tamer" during the ice age? Yeah, right.)

Do you know anyone who makes T-shirts? What about having her drawings of Pokemon scanned and making a shirt for her? If she likes lining things up, I would imagine she would like a grid design. The easiest way to describe what I mean, is the Brady Bunch Show grid with thier pictures. 

IF you think she would like it, but you aren't sure which ones to pick, you could give her the shirt for Christmas and tell her what the plan is, and let her help design it as part of her gift. 

For a gift....room decorations? New sheets or art work? Maybe her own but framed? Or a cluster of frames that are about the size she likes to draw, maybe a 6"x6"? And let her draw her own art work? A shelf for her room so she can organize and line up her friends, but also tuck them in her bag when she wants too? Room atomizer and essential oils or salt lamp?

A new backpack or draw string bag? Does she do any sports? Fun socks for her sport like tie dye soccer socks or florescent volleyball socks? Swim suit and swimming lessons if she can't already swim? If she goes to church, a new Bible or bag for church?  

Fun snacks or foods you don't usually buy? Sugar cereals, gummies or candies (Trader Joes is great for this), her own bag of chips that she doesn't have to share etc. Jerky or peperoni? Sodas or fun juices?

Gift cards for Starbucks in a reusable Starbucks cup feels pretty grown up at that age. Or special hot chocoalates, teas or latte powders. Gift card or cash for ice cream shops, buffalo wings, hamburger, etc...

• Like 1

Did she read all of the Little House series?

There's a "spin off" series about Laura's daughter, Rose... I can't remember the author at the moment. Maybe someone else can help. I loved those, too! I think the author of the series was a family friend of Rose. 

Ooh, got it! Roger MacBride. The series is called the Rose Years, and the first book is "Little House on Rocky Ridge." 🥰 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0064404781?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tpbk_0&storeType=ebooks&qid=1639331599&sr=8-2

I think that Rose is about 9 in this series, at least at the beginning! 

I have an 8yo, 10yo, and 11yo daughters - maybe our ideas will help?

Boogie Board for writing

Rip Stick

Wingfeather books (alternative - Green Ember series and/or locket)

Clay for jewelry

Resin kit for jewelry

Azteca water brush pens and a cool coloring book 

Chalk pastels

watercolor pencils and a nature journal

Awesome socks

prairie dress

thinking putty

flower press 

mad  libs

cookie or pie kit - apron, cutters, recipe box, etc if she likes Little House. 

• Like 1