Menu

My aunt is hospitalized with covid

Elizabeth86

Please pray for her. She is in her late 70’s, had smoked for ages and was already on oxygen. She was not well to begin with. She is not vaccinated. From what I understand she has some sort of autoimmune disease and was advised not to. My uncle has been vaccinated, but he has been taking cancer treatments so we are worried about his immune system. It will take a miracle if she pulls through.

• Sad 54

I didn’t get the full story yesterday. My aunt went to the hospital due to having a kidney infection and only then did she know she was positive for covid, so this is the very early stages. So, right now, she is ok with covid symptoms, but I guess they wanted to keep her anyway. So for now, she is doing ok. My cousin and uncle woke up this morning unable to taste anything. 😥

• Like 1
  • Sad 22

11 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I was saying the same to my mom, that if I were my cousin I’d have the whole family getting MCAB ASAP. When is this best timing for this, so you know?

I think within the first 2-3 days of onset of symptoms, but there are others here who are more up-to-date on it and would know better.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I was saying the same to my mom, that if I were my cousin I’d have the whole family getting MCAB ASAP. When is this best timing for this, so you know?

Once you require oxygen, they will no longer give them. That's the biggest requirement that my DH tends to emphasize to folks (HCW).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kbutton said:

Good question! I don’t know, but DH thinks it might be possible to get it. It’s probably a gray area. 

I’m fairly sure that here we continue to give monoclonal therapy to people whose baseline is to be on oxygen, so long as they meet other criteria. It only makes sense to do so because those are the kind of high risk people that need it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well. My aunt seems to be doing ok. My uncle not so much, but not because of the covid. All in one day, his pacemaker was having trouble and he started bleeding. He had just finished some treatment for bladder cancer and he started bleeding and my cousin took him in. They felt it has spread and sent him 6 hours away to where he had his treatments. So, now my poor cousin is torn between these 2. It’s so heartbreaking. I’m not even sure if she and my uncle has even tested positive for covid. 

• Sad 20

Thanks ladies. There was a bit of confusion earlier with the chain of people communicating information to my mom. My mom finally got to talk to my caregiver cousin and here are the details. 
I guess my aunt isn’t doing as well as she was. My aunt is keeping her oxygen about 92 in the day, but it is dropping in the 80’s at night. They are saying if she isn’t able to keep up her oxygen level tonight they will put her on a ventilator tomorrow. They actually didn’t send my uncle 6 hours away like they wanted to because he finally tested positive for covid today, so they won’t transfer him, but they did admit him to the local hospital. The 2 of them are in the same hospital for right now until he gets a negative covid test. I’m not feeling hopeful about all this. 

• Sad 27

15 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m still praying here, Elizabeth — for your cousin as well as for your aunt and uncle. 

At least having them both in the same hospital will make things easier for your cousin. Has your cousin tested negative for Covid? Is visitation even allowed right now? 

I honestly do not know if she tested positive or negative, I haven’t heard, but she is visiting. 🤷‍♀️ It doesn’t seem responsible to me, but…

• Thanks 1