Menu

2021 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here...

Kareni

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

I do enjoy this thread. It does take time and effort though, so I enjoy hearing when someone finds it helpful.

Kareni, I love this thread every year and look forward to it!  I find it both helpful and entertaining!  Thank you for all the work you put into it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sheryl said:

That looks great, @sheryl.

And now I'm off to look for other soap dispensers....

One

Two... This one is for you, @vonfirmath.

Three

Four

And then there is this less charming option

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 6:07 PM, Kareni said:

That looks great, @sheryl.

And now I'm off to look for other soap dispensers....

One

Two... This one is for you, @vonfirmath.

Three

Four

And then there is this less charming option

Regards,

Kareni

I wish I could find a mallard duck soap dispenser. We used to have one that was my husband's parents at one time, but it got dropped and shattered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lisa said:

I wish I could find a mallard duck soap dispenser. We used to have one that was my husband's parents at one time, but it got dropped and shattered.

How unfortunate! I did a quick search and I am not finding one either.

Perhaps you can design your own ~

One

Two

Three

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 1:05 PM, Lisa said:

So was it a picture of a mallard or a duck body?

I found yellow rubber ducks and even a Daffy Duck figure soap pumps, dispenser with pictures of mallards but not the shape of one

Edited by history-fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, history-fan said:

So was it a picture of a mallard or a duck body?

I found yellow rubber ducks and even a Daffy Duck figure soap pumps, dispenser with pictures of mallards but not the shape of one

No, it was a mallard duck.  Here is a picture with some of the pieces. Most of the other pieces are too small and its not salvagable.

20211208_131723.jpg

• Sad 3

On 12/10/2021 at 6:04 PM, Laurel-in-CA said:

Smock apron, which gives better coverage than the BBQ style/tie around your back version. Got one for me and each of my girls in different colors/patterns. Happy, happy.

https://www.worldmarket.com/product/washed-cotton-smock.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

Those are beautiful! Hmmm. I may need to go get one/some. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kareni said:

@Kareni

I like how quickly you jumped on board the Things Could Be Worse train. 😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:53 AM, Pippen said:

Nothing says Have a Cheery Christmas like a Calamityware mug.

I've ordered a set of four and they came with four little cards explaining that Things Could Be Worse to tuck inside the mugs for gift giving. 

You made my day.  My MIL is so difficult to buy for.  She may not get these but my FIL sure will.  I bought the teapot (she collects) and a set of mugs.  I might have to send a mug to my sister!

• Like 5

On 12/8/2021 at 11:05 AM, Lisa said:

I see these on etsy and eBay: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1111612215/avon-vintage-hand-painted-in-brazil?click_key=45d00a76291096741953e17ee1df6afaaeed98d9%3A1111612215&click_sum=c8611c7b&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=mallard+duck+soap+dispenser&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&pro=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stacia said:

That's hilarious.

And I just ordered a few for my sister & her dh to use in their fire pit. Lol. (I bet their dogs will love it.)

Be sure to keep us updated! I want to know if it just smells like the “11 herbs and spices” or if it also smells like chicken. Inquiring minds and all that! Does your sister have nearby neighbors that might be mystified by the fact that they keep smelling KFC?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Be sure to keep us updated! I want to know if it just smells like the “11 herbs and spices” or if it also smells like chicken. Inquiring minds and all that! Does your sister have nearby neighbors that might be mystified by the fact that they keep smelling KFC?

They have neighbors to one side but I'm not sure they would be able to smell the fire pit. I'll keep you posted. Lol.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stacia said:

Not so unusual but I love these minimalist wooden cooking utensils from Earlywood. I have some of the flat saute tools in different sizes. I use them all the time.

oh, man! you may have just saved me! I have one very hard person still on my list, and this will be perfect. (I was working on something amazing, but didnt' get done in time, and was stumped). 

Also, dang I wish I wasn't already done with DH's gift, and him with mine. Bookmarking this, as I would like one of each, please. LOL! Those are amazing. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Stacia said:

Not so unusual but I love these minimalist wooden cooking utensils from Earlywood. I have some of the flat saute tools in different sizes. I use them all the time.

Thank you for this - I just ordered a set of the flat utensils for my dh. Our remaining wood spatula has a large crack in it & this looks to be a great replacement.

• Like 3

From a different thread, this looks quite appealing:

7 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

...For her birthday last summer, her brother gave her a sea turtle tracking bracelet that she absolutely LOVES. If you look into something like this, make sure you are purchasing from a real source that supports a real conservancy. 

https://myfahlo.com/

https://conserveturtles.org/sea-turtle-tracking-active-sea-turtles/

22 hours ago, Stacia said:

I love great wooden utensils. Thanks for sharing these, Stacia.

22 hours ago, TechWife said:

Perfect for the KFC lover’s in your life: The KFC 11 herbs and spices fire log, exclusively at Walmart.

Yes, it’s real.

And that is neat, TechWife! Thank you for the link.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Today's finds are from the Neiman Marcus holiday book:

A FAB refrigerator ... only $3,999

Or how about this fridge ... only $50,000!

Jonathan Adler Botanist Backgammon Set

Lladro Exclusive Limited Edition Crocodile

ETA: One might almost think that this is making a rude gesture.

Regards,

Kareni

You know what I find odd?   For a $50k fridge, they didn’t even show pics of the inside.  What’s up with that??  

• Like 3

Maybe not totally unique but...

A new, beautiful Annotated Arabian Nights is out. The Guardian just published this article about it: New Arabian Nights translation to strip away earlier versions’ racism and sexism: The Annotated Arabian Nights will be the first English translation by a woman, and will include female protagonists that have previously been omitted.

(Check out video starting at 21:29.)

And, since The Great Gatsby is no longer under copyright, various versions & spin-offs have been published this year, including this gorgeous-looking hardcover version of the original. (Currently only $12.49 on amazon.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2021 at 6:18 PM, melmichigan said:

You made my day.  My MIL is so difficult to buy for.  She may not get these but my FIL sure will.  I bought the teapot (she collects) and a set of mugs.  I might have to send a mug to my sister!

We got some for ourselves and some for gifts. Giving them filled with assorted Christmas teas to several favorite people.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, WildflowerMom said:

You know what I find odd?   For a $50k fridge, they didn’t even show pics of the inside.  What’s up with that??  

For that price tag, someone better pop out every night and cook dinner and clean up afterwards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/15/2021 at 7:46 PM, TechWife said:

Thank you for this - I just ordered a set of the flat utensils for my dh. Our remaining wood spatula has a large crack in it & this looks to be a great replacement.

Posting some follow up - my order arrived in a nice package with a wooden spoon sketched on the front of it. DH always gets the mail, so that’s not a surprise anymore.

ETA  - I’m only posting so that you all know to keep a close eye on the mailbox or UPS truck. The utensils look awesome & I recommend them. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3